Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I'd like the Habs to win the Cup, but I'd also like them to make the final just to see what Montreal and the Bell Centre become in the midst of their own SCF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
So there must be some posters here who get really invested in their team. Some of these posters might have seen their team lose in the SCF in recent memory. Does the disappointment of making it that far to fall short overwhelm the positives of being in the final two that season?

Basically I'm looking for a silver lining for if/when the Habs do not advance. I don't know how I'd deal with Montreal being a mere 1 to 4 victories away from a Stanley Cup but not pull it off.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Zamboni Jesus posted:

montreal drafted mcdonagh, pacioretty and subban with the first three picks of 2007.

Holy poo poo. Two number one defensemen and a first-line winger, three Olympians. He basically drafted like over half of a good team's "core".

I remember YouTubing Subban immediately after he got drafted and seeing him doing skating drills. Even then couldn't believe he didn't go in the first round.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Gainey/Gauthier also got a 1st (Pacioretty) for Rivet, so at least one worked the other way.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I'm really gutted that the door to the SCF that was blown wide open for the Rangers with Price's injury was closed an inch. How can they cope??

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Sean Avery: makes fun of people for making less money than him.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
So did Tinordi really not impress at all this season, in Montreal or Hamilton?

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Can't get my head around Montreal potentially having home ice advantage in the SCF (if they pull it off). Are there any notable instances in recent memory of the team with home ice being considered a massive underdog?

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

darkwolf220 posted:

Montreal is a massive underdog to LA?

A day late as I'm on Euro time, but yes absolutely.

Look at the top three centres of each team:
Kopitar, Carter, Richards
Desharnais, Plekanec, Eller

That may be cherry-picking a position of strength for the Kings, but they are at least as good if not better in goal and defense. Montreal would maybe plausibly be better at wing if Vanek were performing as a first-liner.

Anyway, I can't be the only one who wants Montreal in the final in part because it'd be a great send-off for the RDS crew's last look at Habs playoff hockey. :(

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
As it could be their last game of the season, I just want the Habs to give it their all. If they lose to a Lundqvist making 40 saves, then that's a better performance to mull over all summer than coming out completely flat in an elimination game.

Also Bourque, please score two for the comedy of outscoring your regular season and also being the Habs' playoff MVP.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
He and the medical staff would rush him back only for him to get injured in Game 1.

If Price does come back, does Tokarski serve as back-up and Budaj pushed to press box? Such a weird situation.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Tokarski would only get a shot at being a starter if he wins the Cup this year. Otherwise only the shittiest team would think he's the answer, and the Islanders already got Halak.

Backing up Price (or anyone) in the NHL for a year or two would be the best thing for his CV right now.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Tokarski has won two games in the playoffs, with only one of those wins coming from an exceptional performance. I'd be surprised if he got more than a 3rd round pick (and that'd be a lot for his NHL experience). Might as well keep him as a decent backup and hope he can at best develop into a 1B.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Would Dubnyk be that terrible as a backup?

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You can't really rebuild a guy while expecting him to perform at all.

See: Holtby, Braden, c. 2013-14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah, I don't get that at all. What benefit do you get putting a concussed Weise in? Why do you want to preserve that option by not following protocol?

Weise has been great these playoffs, but I really could only understand this (admittedly wrong) behaviour if it were a superstar the team wanted to keep eligible to play.

• Locked thread