Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
If there's one place that the narrative would dictate the Rangers MUST go through to in order to win a Stanley Cup, it would definitely be the house of horrors that has been the Bell Centre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

This really sucks. If the Rangers managed to beat Montreal it was supposed to be an 'overcoming adversity' thing not a 'won by default by hurting their best player' thing.

Although, take heart in a few things, Habs fans:

Steve Mason: .927 even strength save % in 5 playoff games vs. Rangers
Marc-Andre Fleury: .933 even strength save % in 7 playoff games vs. Rangers
Rangers' opponents' goalies in the regular season: .933 even strength save % (3rd best in NHL)

The Rangers haven't shown much ability to take advantage of lesser goaltending, so this is not automatically a series breaker as much as it may be a morale breaker.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

People joke about both players a lot, but I would assume there is a big performance gap between "lesser goaltenders" Steve Mason and MAF and "lesser goaltender" Budaj.

MAF career: .910
Mason career: .907
Budaj career: .903

MAF last three seasons at even strength: .917, .929, .916
Mason last three seasons at even strength: .926, .910, .911
Budaj last three seasons at even strength: .915, .915, .923

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

I hope this doesn't come off like a "can you even skate backwards" kind of thing, but I don't understand why I keep seeing "Kreider went skates-first!" as some kind of smoking gun. Do people understand that when you are skating very fast the way to stop yourself is...to go skates-first?

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

Wait is there seriously no hockey again tonight? :smith:

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

How about we apologize for not having to go through Boston after we actually beat Montreal

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

Real RAS avatars are ones that you don't change for 6 years.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

Canadiens were the better team in Game 2, Rangers were the better team in Game 3! Hockey balance achieved.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

Even if you think he didn't hit his head, you can't think it's not a dangerous late hit, right? Like, one that has a good chance of causing injury? Cracking down on head shots doesn't mean you have to ignore other dangerous actions too.

Hell even if you're going at it from a concussion point of view, you don't even have to get hit directly in the head to suffer a concussion.

Way too much is being made of the hit anyway. Not much impact on the rest of the series, since Stepan seemed fine once he returned. Prust did something dumb and probably gets suspended for a game or two. His absence won't hurt the Habs. Carcillo's removal was sort of related to the hit, and his absence won't hurt the Rangers. Let's play hockey.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

fancy stats posted:

:can:

(Please don't dog pile me, I don't care; please take Prust away from my team, NHL department of player safety.)

NHL DPS needs to implement trial by combat so we can settle these things without all the angst. Who will be Kreider's champion?

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

So apparently Stepan broke his jaw from the Prust hit and is undergoing surgery

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

Sounds like it.

Loqieu posted:

Vigneault said the Doctors cleared him to play, which is why he put him back out there.

@KatieStrangESPN #NYR Stepan did have X-rays last night that came back negative. He was sent for more detailed scans today, which revealed the fracture

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

Imagine a Game 4 where the Rangers second best Center is Brian Boyle :smith:

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

EvilJimmyCarter posted:

Whoops looks like Stepan isn't fine *barf*

@StapeNewsday Not quite sure if anyone's waiting for a timeline for Stepan to return. Surgery means at least 3-4 weeks, likely more. He's out.

:smithicide:

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

wangvicous posted:

https://twitter.com/stevezipay/statuses/469864021144117248

Looks like Carcillo got 10 games. Not sure how reliable source is.

If the Rangers win against Montreal in 7, Carcillo can return for Game 7 of the SCF in time to score the cup-winning goal!

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

Pleads posted:

This is loving stupid, you can't just stop a video on a single frame and have it tell the whole story or else Kreider would be sitting for at least 10

Clearly a photoshop, what possible reason is there for his legs be at that angle?

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

Vertical Lime posted:

Did you forget how we did it 2 years ago

Totally ruins rewatching Game 5 of the Rangers/Caps series a few years ago where Richards tied it with 7 seconds left and Staal won it in overtime. loving Party City streamers I am angry about them :argh:

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

EvilJimmyCarter posted:

Hank was weak, Cam was weak, Staal sucked, Girardi and most of the rest of the D were ehhh, and Rene BORK had the best game he will ever have.

Staal has been a trainwreck this series. I wonder if fancystats back me up on that.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

Tokarski looked 1000% more comfortable than Talbot did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

Guys it happened :unsmith:

• Locked thread