Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

SedanChair posted:

TJ quotes.

ITT we learn that warding off aggression from a hostile polity that is attacking your citizens is literal genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

SedanChair posted:

In response to the attacks, he implemented a policy of genocide. There's a direct order in the second quote to carry out extermination. What's to be debated here?

That's not what that quote says, for one thing.

What is unreasonable about about the stance that "if these groups that pose an existential threat to our citizens don't stop attacking us we are going to kill them until they GTFO"? That's what that quote says.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

SedanChair posted:

Until they GTFO of their ancestral lands?

Until they GTF out of range so they can't raid settlements.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

SedanChair posted:

I believe TJ's exact words were

Which makes it pretty clear that the policy was a pretext to remove all Indians completely from their lands. The alternative was extermination. That's genocide. There is no arguing that.

Huh?

It was a very explicit plan to get people who were killing settlers to go away and stop doing that. IDK what about that suggests a pretext. IDK what, in your mind, would have been a reasonable response given the resources and technology available in the day. I think you should check your living-in-a-safe-modern-society-not-at-all-under-threat-of-indian-attack privilege and get some perspective.

Also, ITT we relearn the wisdom that picking a fight and losing has consequences - something our ancestors probably would have considered common sense.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

KelJu posted:

Most people wear ties because they are forced to. I don't think it has anything to do with professionalism or class. I think it is more about proving that you are willing to wear some stupid and useless piece of fabric around your neck that serves to other purpose than to signify that you are a whore, and you will do whatever your cooperate masters tell you to do if you want to have financial security in your life.

Sorry, I know this seems a little "wtf", but I hate ties and what they represent to me more than anything on the planet. I will loving die before I ever wear a tie again. In my mind, a tie is a slave collar, and to make it worse, I willingly put in on.

I feel the same way about pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

KelJu posted:

Pants keep my legs warm in the winter.

Once you're in a climate controlled office they're kind of superfluous, though.

• Locked thread