Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

BRIGADOR

Great Leader is dead. You have one night to liberate Solo Nobre.

Brigador Early Access Launch Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPnjH8a-W1U

Brigador Early Access Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ6p7e7NHc4

Brigador Reveal Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-gec527sk8

Alpha gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la4rcHkke4o

Second trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qmmnHoBAlk

What is it?
As they say on the website: "Brigador is an isometric vehicular action game. Choose the right vehicle and weapons to suit your play style, and face off against the occupying factions. Discover tactics and unlock new vehicles and weapons as you clear the city or die trying, then do it all over again."

It has been compared to Syndicate, Crusader: No Remorse, and Jungle Strike. The gameplay loop looks tight and refined, more along the lines of Hotline Miami. I can easily imagine diving in for a few minutes of action, or alternately spending a couple of hours trying to achieve the perfect run.

Wait... am I crazy or was this called something else?
No, you're not crazy. It was previously known as Matador. However, just to keep things clear legally as well as for search engine disambiguation, they chose to rename it. Essentially, Brigador is a more unique name. Plus it means "fighter" or "brawler" in Portuguese.

Who is making it?
Stellar Jockeys, an independent four man team. Two of them are brothers and at least one of them is a forum resident.

That music in the trailer sounds cool. Will there be more like that?
Definitely. Not only that but the soundtrack will also include exclusive work from Makeup and Vanity Set!

That being said, they are extremely open with the development process. You can watch them model assets, make music, build levels, and test gameplay on either of their twitch.tv streams, here and here. One of their alpha testers also pops up with some gameplay streams every now and then as well.

Can I pre-order it, at least?
Yes! You can get it directly from the Stellar Jockeys' website. They get the most cut from a direct buy on their site, so go there first. Of course if you're so inclined you can also grab it directly from the Humble Store or good ol' Steam. They say that the final price will be higher, so I would recommend just grabbing it now if you are at all interested.

When will it be released?
Early Access begins October 2015!

Where can I read more about it?
Kill Screen gets an early look at GDC 2014

Rock Paper Shotgun looks at five minutes of early gameplay footage.

Gooble Rampling fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
Hey everybody, I'm gauss ("the guy that did that Johnny Five Aces Art") and I'm doing all the art for Brigador, some of the design, and a little bit of the music. Believe it or not we didn't set out to make a 90s riffing retro throwback, I guess it sort of ends up that way when you make a game isometric. People say it reminds them of Syndicate, Tiberian Sun, and Future Cop, which is alright with us.

Like the OP said we are pretty open about our process, we stream a lot of the game's development. Here's a friend playing an early alpha build, gives a better idea of how it plays than the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la4rcHkke4o

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Crusader was really awesome so if it's even half as good as that it'll still be worth playing.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
This looks quite a lot like Future Cop LAPD actually.

Which was a loving awesome game, so I'm buying this right away.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What, comparisons to Crusader and not Bedlam?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfJsHAYiko8

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
gauss' brother and co-developer is a good friend of mine, and they are seriously working their butts off to make this game. I was wondering when the SA thread would pop up!

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Ha! I guess Brigador is like an ink blot test for everyone's favorite classic game. It really is its own beast though. Be sure to check out that alpha play through video that gauss linked above. It will give you a really good idea of what to expect.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
Anatharon: OK Crusader was a more direct influence. A big thing for us was an aiming system that was skill-based, akin to aiming in a first or third person game, rather than a Diablo-style thing where you just click on the thing you want to die. All weapons (aside from lasers/railguns) have ballistic trajectories/bullet drop, so landing shots accurately can be really satisfying. We knew we had a game when the shooting felt good, and was (to our understanding) a fairly unique take.

And yeah Gooble's right, the game has been a really interesting sort of inkblot test. We've been shown a lot of really interesting, obscure isometric games as a result. I can't remember what it was called but there was a crazy topdown/iso obscure Russian game I'd never heard of before, really wild.

Greedo: Believe it or not, we had never heard or seen of Bedlam. It was a very weird experience seeing it in action after the game was pretty far along, design-wise. Because even as old as it was, whoever made it had to solve a lot of the same kinds of issues and problems as we did, total parallel development. Or not parallel, since it was over a decade ago.

Hi dyzzy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rookersh posted:

This looks quite a lot like Future Cop LAPD actually.

Which was a loving awesome game, so I'm buying this right away.

That game was great! Brigador reminds me a lot of those 90s action games, which is awesome. I really like the art style that Brigador is using.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Reminds me of Mechwarrior 3050. God I loved that game. Looking forward to how this progresses. :)

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It's probably worth noting that if you want to pre-order, do so from their website, as that's the best way to get money directly to their pockets. You get a steam key no matter what.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Double posting to show off some "stealth" gameplay:

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

dyzzy posted:

It's probably worth noting that if you want to pre-order, do so from their website, as that's the best way to get money directly to their pockets. You get a steam key no matter what.

Yeah, I thought about only listing their site with the Humble Widget in the OP, but I know sometimes people can be oddly picky so I thought I would include the two other options as well.

Your other post reminds me, is there a well of Brigador GIFs that I could dip into and add to the OP?

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Posting again just to say that I have altered the OP a bit. I've added that alpha gameplay video, emphasized the importance of pre-ordering from the Stellar Jockeys website, and added a link to the one bit of press they've gotten so far from Kill Screen.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Gooble Rampling posted:

Your other post reminds me, is there a well of Brigador GIFs that I could dip into and add to the OP?

Not that I'm aware of, I used that clip as excuse to get my feet wet with the recording to gif process. I'll whip up a few more later today though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
This looks pretty sweet and the Strike games were rad as hell. Never played Future Cop though so I feel like I missed out on something.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

What, comparisons to Crusader and not Bedlam?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfJsHAYiko8

Man I remember Bedlam, I love games where you just get a map to yourself to blow up buildings in, and I think I want to play this game now.

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
Hey everyone-- the other Brigador designer here. I make the maps and handle the data/balancing. We're really excited about how the game is coming along, and I'll do my best to stay active with posting new stuff about the game here. I haven't done the best job lately, but going forward I'll try to stay regular here, as well as with our indieDB and TIGforums pages.

Gauss and I also stream on a semi-regular basis, so if you want to see how we're making the game or want to catch some gameplay then feel free to visit:
my stream
gauss stream

Anyway, some fun bits for you guys:

-This is what happens when infantry and high velocity rounds meet. Originally we'd meant for those chunks to not shoot nearly as far or to be as gratuitous, but the initial implementation had us laughing so hard we decided to stick with it.

-gauss worked pretty hard to nail the shielding effect for vehicles in the game. Every player vehicle has some combination of armor, shielding, and overshield. Shielding is replenished by drops from destroyed enemy vehicles. Overshield is when you replenish beyond the max shielding value; the difference being that overshield decays with time. Different vehicles will have varying amounts of armor, shielding, overshield, and overshield decay.

Individually infantry aren't much of a threat, but they usually roll is squads, and if you get cornered by enough of them they can do some serious damage. Certain infantry variants possess a short-range attach which temporarily slows your vehicle's speed and acceleration (seen above as the green lightning), which can really ruin your day if you're trying to get out of a bad situation.

uhhhhh. Yeah... (this is actually a weird combination of pathing and developer set invisibility, but I like pretending our game has arcane elements in it)

Anyway, that's it for now. I'll post more stuff here down the road, and if you guys have any questions for us go ahead and post them here, and we'll do our best to answer them.

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
dyzzy-- I don't know what you're using for capture but I go back and forth between LICEcap and GifCam. They both have their strengths, but GifCam has an especially helpful ability to edit and cut individual frames within the recorded gif.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Dancing around the mech-pole. Nice.

Thanks for chiming in and sharing the excellent GIFs. I only wish the infantry one had the squishy sound you guys use in the current build.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

anthony patch posted:

dyzzy-- I don't know what you're using for capture but I go back and forth between LICEcap and GifCam. They both have their strengths, but GifCam has an especially helpful ability to edit and cut individual frames within the recorded gif.

I rolled with FFmpeg to process video files from OBS and photoshop to cut it down to a size imgur could digest.

I knew I'd seen gifcam before, that's probably simpler than what I did :downs:

edit: DISCO LASER :pcgaming:

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 19, 2014

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

dyzzy posted:

edit: DISCO LASER :pcgaming:

That's awesome. It looks like you ran over infantry while blasting their friends, then bashfully hid behind the depot.

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
If that trigger pull had been half a second longer he would've blown the ammo depot and himself with it. That's some slick piloting.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
That is exactly what happened to kill that run later on, as I was frantically trying to destroy the missile batteries in a later map to get out before being cornered.

The shrike (the hovercraft in the gif) is good for hit-and-run gameplay but it's got a pretty large footprint making it a little difficult to break line of sight.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
FYI I am going to be streaming now, building some more assets for the game. In this case, the trainyard level/general train assets. Like so:

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Mech versus train. Fight!

Will there be moving trains on the levels? I assume they'll be stationary like the cars.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
Thanks everybody who turned up for the live stream, we'll do it again soon.

Gooble: nope, no moving trains I'm afraid, we've dedicated too much time to core features.

But here's what I got up to today:

gauss fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 20, 2014

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

I loved that new dark level with the shrubbery that you played on the stream. The lighting looked really nice on that one.
Also it was pretty funny when you were worrying about that vehicle being overpowered, only to be rushed and quickly overwhelmed in the next zone.

The game is looking amazing and the soundtrack so far is hot. How are you handling sound effects though? It seems like there are still a good many to fill in. At a studio I worked for we just paid an SFX company for a pack of custom sounds at the tail end of development when our assets were fairly finalized. That was its own kind of headache though. Are you going to go that route or will you try to create/foley your own sound effects? I imagine you could synthesize a lot of vehicle and gun sounds in something like Massive.
Just curious on your take, since SFX aren't often spoken about as much as graphics or code.

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
We hired Tapio Liukkonen, he of Amnesia: Dark Descent and Overgrowth, to do our foley. Tapio's been knocking it out of the park with what he's done so far-- the issue is more that we're in the middle of adopting a new sound library, and as such the soundscape will remain fairly limited until the new one is implemented. Once it is though we be able to flesh out the soundscape.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Tapio Liukkonen? That's really awesome! Can't wait to hear what he comes up with.

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
Yeah Gooble, it's one of the best decisions we've made on the project. He's great to work with, and is a pretty funny guy to boot.

Something I forgot to mention earlier-- we'll do our best to active here and post updates / answer any questions you guys have, but people who want more details about the game should hit up our IndieDB and TIGforum pages. I'll be updating those on a (hopefully) regular basis, and the TIGforums one especially has a backlog of earlier design chat and decision-making if you're curious.

Ok, I should probably get back to making the game now... :toot:

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
Development stream is back up. Please stop in if you'd like to see the game being played live/make suggestions while I build some more art assets. https://www.twitch.tv/gausswerks

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Neat game. $15 seems to me like a bit much for an arcadey game, but if it ever pops up on a sale for $5 or so I'll get it.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Really? I don't see it as arcadey. I'm not really even sure what that means. They put a lot of effort into the ballistics alone, and even though I haven't played it I think it is pretty obvious that it is much more nuanced than some sort of simple "click to kill" game.

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
Glad you think it's neat Pochoclo, but I hope you'll find as we progress with development and show more of the game that Brigador's actually quite complex mechanically. And that while there are elements of twitch reflexes and learning level layouts, there's also far more variety and randomization in the gameplay which requires players to adapt on the fly, especially when you include the 20+ vehicles and weapons players can choose from. Don't pigeonhole us yet-- there's a reason we've spent 3 getting to this point. (That being said, we almost certainly will end up in a steam or humble sale down the line, so if $5 is what it takes then you'll probably get that chance. Just might be a while.)

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
Stream is back up for anyone interested. Continuing the work on the spaceport assets.

https://www.twitch.tv/gausswerks

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Excellent kit-bashing work on the space port assets. Rock on!

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
Stream is back up for anyone who'd like to see asset creation and the game being played live. Come say hi!

https://www.twitch.tv/gausswerks

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
Check out the new batch of spaceport assets, fruits of today's labors by gauss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

I imagine a weathered old man that works and lives in the house at the top of that crane. He steps out one night to smoke his pipe and reflect on the great leader's recent death, only to witness an insane laser and artillery fueled firefight below.

Speaking of living quarters, will you guys be making more suburban tile sets? I remember a McMansion of some sort being modeled in the past. Or would devastating an area like that be a little too dark?

• Locked thread