Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Those were some loving horrid Mexican stereotypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

How?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I assume they're talking about the barbecue scene

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

In that case id agree I just actually forgot about that scene entirely because I didn't really like the wraparound.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Major spoiler, but in case anyone wanted a gif of this scene:

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The (over)use of "glitches" in the wraparound video was another poor decision. The wraparound is a dud, and because it dominates the film it brings it down. Dante the Great at least was so far out there that all I could really do was gape and giggle at its stupidity. It's pretty short--at 82 minutes--but that's a lot of work for Bonestorm (I want to see the bro horror genre erupt) and maybe a full segment's worth of interesting ideas with what remains (with most of that coming from Parallel Monsters).

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Alec Eiffel posted:

(I want to see the bro horror genre erupt)

It is funny how the VHS franchise has more or less pioneered or at least popularized the idea of replacing stock horror archetypes with a bunch of douchebros you want to see messily destroyed. At least 2-3 segments in the first one, mostly SPAA in the 2nd, and primarily Bonestorm in the 3rd. More if you count a single individual douche as the subject of a segment.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I'm a little uncomfortable describing a bunch of children as a bunch of douchebros I want to see brutally murdered

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They're definitely skate-bro douchey, but it was endearing. I was cheering for their escape.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
They're twelve. Twelve year olds are naturally assholes.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The ending was awful, but Vicious Circles was still my favorite wrap around. Haunted tape houses can gently caress off. Nothing blew me away, but Viral has made me remember how great the original was.

I loved The Great Dante's goofy premise, but it was a terrible fit and blew off any explanation for why the footage existed. Give me dog cams, robot eyes, and other excuses. Make something up!

Whalley posted:

I mean, gently caress's sake. We see Dante in his green room, setting up a camera, then we see security footage of that room of him setting up a camera.

Parallel Monsters was perfect. Bonestorm ran long and a lot of the shots were too tight. If there was more tension, I wouldn't mind having a bunch of action happening just offscreen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Literally The Worst posted:

I think it's cool, because what it and SPAA do is bring back the filthy 70's kids movie, where the kids are sparking up, talking about slam-hogging and poo poo. They're obviously not adults yet, but the key is that they're allowed to be little shits. They're kids! And the characterization of them is so charming to me, but because it's a horror movie, it always comes back to whether these protagonists "deserve" to die or not, or whether you want to see them dead. That's besides the point, or I guess it is for me.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I don't want children to be murdered, and I definitely thought the guys in Bonestorm were cool, and was rooting for their escape. To me, Bonestorm was more akin to 10/31/98 from the first V/H/S, where the characters might be bros, but they're also generally pretty good guys who go out of their way to not be lovely. Not really the douchebro archetype, although I still think V/H/S has had a good deal of that in the past and done it well.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think it's cool, because what it and SPAA do is bring back the filthy 70's kids movie, where the kids are sparking up, talking about slam-hogging and poo poo. They're obviously not adults yet, but the key is that they're allowed to be little shits. They're kids! And the characterization of them is so charming to me, but because it's a horror movie, it always comes back to whether these protagonists "deserve" to die or not, or whether you want to see them dead. That's besides the point, or I guess it is for me.

There's something about it all that just feels really honest compared to modern movies where the same poo poo would be used to make the kid look EDGY and REBELLIOUS and a WILD CHILD and no it's just kids being stupid assholes!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The Bonestorm protagonists read as very real, generally likable people to me.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

edit: eh, nevermind

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I first noticed this with Grave Encounters 2, and it's carried on into the V/H/S films and comes up whenever people discuss, say, Death Proof, for example, that there's a vocal population of people on this forum who virulently hate anyone who parties and has fun and generally behaves like a normal 10-25 year old. It's presumptuous to say it's a function of nerdy jealousy but that's certainly how it reads.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's just a thing about frivolity in general, I see the mentality - "I don't like these people in real life so why would I want to watch them onscreen?" I don't agree, but that's what it is.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I think there may be an aspect of self-loathing. "Please, don't remind me how big of a dick I was at 13."

But I just like to own the fact I was a turd because we were all turds.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

weekly font posted:

I think there may be an aspect of self-loathing. "Please, don't remind me how big of a dick I was at 13."

But I just like to own the fact I was a turd because we were all turds.

I wasn't really a turd at 13 becaues I hadn't developed any kind of coping mechanisms so I was just a weird autistic shut-in, it all just reminds me of me at 18-21 when I met my best friends and started doing shenanigans. It's dope.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 30, 2014

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It's just a thing about frivolity in general, I see the mentality - "I don't like these people in real life so why would I want to watch them onscreen?" I don't agree, but that's what it is.

I guess I just don't see how being frivolous and happy is unlikable from any reasonable perspective. It seems mean spirited and ugly.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

The Bonestorm protagonists read as very real, generally likable people to me.
Yeah; we see them giving a homeless guy candy and cigarettes, we see them apologizing instantly when one of them accidentally runs into a rollerblader, we see them both talking about how they hate that the cameraman they hired is an rear end in a top hat, and they have each other's back no matter what. I loved every single part of Bonestorm, it was such a surprisingly smart short.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Agreed, I thought the two main kids were really likeable and when the action started it was dope (as gently caress).

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Literally The Worst posted:

Didn't one guy have sleeves. Weren't they supposed to be end of high school at the youngest.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Didn't one guy have sleeves. Weren't they supposed to be end of high school at the youngest.

Yeah I'd say that they're anywhere between 17 - 21 (Gas Money kid looked the youngest). I hung out with a lot of guys like them in high school (usually without the gun) so I could relate to how dope these guys were.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The 12 year old comment was about SPAA I assumed

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
My B I'm a moron and just kinda assumed because everyone was talking about the skaters being annoying shitheads and kids.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Hat Thoughts posted:

The 12 year old comment was about SPAA I assumed

I figured it was but the SPAA and BONESTORM chat was kind of blending together a bit ("blah blah skatebros" "they're twelve") so I just threw my thoughts in.

RIP Gas Money, you will never be forgotten, homie

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I really hope the fourth, included short makes its way to the public somehow. I was reading up about it today and it sounds weird and kind of cool; I mean, who doesn't want to see art/fashion horror?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Guys, this is so cool, they've released the fourth segment of this film as a standalone. It's called Nightcrawler, and it's in theaters now.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MisterBibs posted:

I've had to skim posts since the spoilers started rolling in, but where are you guys seeing this movie?

I saw this movie in September :smug:

But yeah, i made a review in the horror movie thread (didn't know this thread existed) were i explicitly told people that this movie lost most of its horror but gained an amazing amount of action and comedy. I brought some friends with me who dislike horror movies because looking at the other two movies i thought this one would terrify them, turns out they loved the movie due to the (admitedly) unexpected twist in genre.

If you can't see the brilliancy in Parallel monsters then i don't know what to tell you.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
this movie was so loving retarded but I have to agree that Bonestorm redeemed it. It was so over the top ridiculous :allears:

still, VHS 2 is clearly my favorite. All four segments in that movie are great, but if I have to pick a favorite it's Safe Haven

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Guys, this is so cool, they've released the fourth segment of this film as a standalone. It's called Nightcrawler, and it's in theaters now.

Video Production News, a news gathering organization.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeusExMachinima posted:

Video Production News, a news gathering organization.

Amazing stuff.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Bonestorm segment would have been so much better if it was few minutes shorter. Wackiness is not fun when you overdose on it and it become tedious , and that final Tijuana battle bored me by the end of it .

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I thought V/H/S was a horror masterpiece, V/H/S 2 was a mis-step towards goofiness & this was an absolute shambles. I'm really disappointed they didn't decide to stay fresh & ugly - I feel like we can get the same sort of kicks from Viral elsewhere, rather easily, from Tales From the Crypt to YouTube amateurs goofing off with cheap CGI, models & fireworks. It's the William Castle effect - a sly nod and a wink - it's crazy to believe that the DemonDickHand story flies under the same banner as The Honeymoon but there we go. This is why we can't have nice things. At least now I can get the first film on Bluray and not hang around waiting for a trilogy release. Whoopee.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Why'd they use traditional camera techniques for parts of the Dante story in Viral? It makes no sense to abandon the series' only gimmick/claim to being interesting at this point, especially when Dante was camera crazy and plenty of the SWAT guys had cameras on their guns too.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DeusExMachinima posted:

Why'd they use traditional camera techniques for parts of the Dante story in Viral? It makes no sense to abandon the series' only gimmick/claim to being interesting at this point, especially when Dante was camera crazy and plenty of the SWAT guys had cameras on their guns too.

You mean the documentary crew that was there filming/hiding while the battle ensued?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Guess I didn't think of that. Pretty sick ECU of the cop's shirt catching fire from the magic missile though... oh well, ~magic~

Just thinking about Viral reminds me how awful the framing story was. Should've just been a bunch of short films. Demon dicks and psycho skater kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

DeusExMachinima posted:

Because don't you understand it was the cloak filming and it totally wasn't just a stupid piece of poo poo!

• Locked thread