Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Somebody needs staaaaaaaaaaairs?

This is the best tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
So. much. charm. so. much. fun. Can't. Stop. Smiling. :)

This game is great

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Barney's :what: face here is priceless. He just does not give a gently caress about Marlon's bullshit. :allears:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I am losing my poo poo with how quickly Buddy is willing to admit total defeat.

"A minor obstacle!? We're hosed..."

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Jagged Jim posted:

Barney's :what: face here is priceless. He just does not give a gently caress about Marlon's bullshit. :allears:

It's a pretty great screenshot all around. Just all of it.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Jagged Jim posted:

Look man, he just wants to get home to try out his new toaster oven. All these wizards teleporting around are just wasting time that he could be spending eating toast.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Picayune posted:

STOP DOING THAT

Ahem.

Never trust a wizard.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This is providing a lot of context to all of the completely unexplained wizards and elves that just kind of showed up in agents.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Serious Frolicking posted:

This is providing a lot of context to all of the completely unexplained wizards and elves that just kind of showed up in agents.

Yeeeah. I always knew that Agents had a number of Kingdom references in it, but I did not actually realize just how many until I replayed Kingdom in preparation for this LP. So many! Including tiny things that I had completely forgotten!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can't you just hit trees with your wand to absorb the delicious wood? That's what I'd do.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yeah, what's the point of even having a wand if you still have to chop down trees with an axe? Magic is lame.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Veloxyll posted:

Never trust a wizard.

I can't help be reminded of this comic:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 9: The Pick-Up Artist

... intriguing! Go on.

: Do you really think that's going to work, Buddy?

: I'm sure she'll give you the axe then!

: Alright, I guess we can try Buddy's way first. Let's Socialize with Elmira.

what is this 'we' nonsense

In the Socialize minigame, Sam enters conversation with a Sim and then uses what he knows about their interests and personalities to say exactly what they want to hear in order to manipulate them into doing what he wants. In short, we are playing a PUA-training minigame, only with axes instead of sex. It would be creepy if it weren't so gosh-darned cute.

Elmira starts out Surly. Color me unsurprised. Sam can choose to Flatter her or to Chat her up. Sam decides to chat, as Elmira seems the type to take offense at cheap, insincere flattery.

Hey, chatting with Elmira opened her up! Now she's feeling Talkative. We know that Elmira is big on grueling toil, so Sam decides to talk about that.

Oh, man, talking about hard work makes Elmira Delighted! Let's see. I can't imagine she'd enjoy being tricked. Does oo wanna huuuug?

awwww

if that's not the piggiest-scented hug ever

And now we've put in so many kindness coins that she's willing to give us her axe. Interacting with others is just a big game that we play to win! Yay!

Sam turns to his friends and signals his success via the time-honored 'hooray!' gesture. Lyndsay turns to Buddy.

: Alright, Buddy, I'll admit it. Your idea worked really well.

: BUDDY!!!

Whoops.

Axe in hand, Sam runs over to this little grove of apple trees. For some reason, one of the apple trees is growing Mana, too.

whack whack whack

If we chop a tree too much, it will turn all brown and start to die. Sam can fix this by watering the tree. I guess we manipulated Elmira into giving us a watering can, too.

: Hey, Sam, there's a lot of Essences up in the treetops, too! Couldn't hurt to grab a few of 'em!

When we move the cursor over the top of a tree, it turns into this spread-fingered grabby hand. We can then 'grab' the tree by holding down the Wiimote trigger--

--and literally shake the goodies out of the treetops!

: I'm right over here once you gather all the Wood Essences, Sam!

We can also chop wood out of a tree until it actually dies, in which case it drops everything that was growing on it and then turns into a dead stump.

We can then uhhhh stomp the stump into the ground, which produces some Dead Wood Essences and a convenient hole, ready to be replanted.

At the moment we only have Apples, so Sam plants and waters a new apple-tree sapling.

We can also grab dandelions and pull them up to produce Essences. Apparently this was an apple weed?

Eventually Sam has deforested the entire area--it's okay, he planted some saplings!--and has enough Wood to complete that scroll.

: Hey, Sam! Did you finish a Scroll?

Sam nods.

: Great! This Scroll will give you the power to make stairs!

Lyndsay pulls out the bag and shakes it a few times.

When she opens it, a new power sparkles out and into Sam's wand!

We are both stoked, because now Sam can make two kinds of stairs (and wooden platforms too)!

It sure is, Buddy. It sure is.

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: We build the heck out of some stairs!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

All she wanted was a hug then she gave us all of her tools.
Uh. I'm not 100% sure on the ethics and lessons being taught here.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah. Of course you can look past this. But I don't know how much an actual kid would eat this up. Children can be pretty impressionable.
The lesson this teaches is literally, "If you want something from someone else, find out what they like and pretend to care about it."

But I am giving this the benefit of a doubt. Maybe the developers actually just wanted everyone to become friends.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe she had a really bad day full of hard work and crap so she felt a bit better after socializing and realized it would be impossible to continue working if someone really had to borrow her axe or another tool.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I'm going to take it as "Being nice to people makes them happy and is best for everyone in the long run". Who could object to that? (*mutter mumble rude awakenings mumble*)

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Speaking of kingdoms references, its seems that the future isn't bright for poor Barney's toaster.

MySims Agents Part #54 posted:

Sam: Do you know what Grit likes to eat?

Barney: Grit keeps gnawing on new appliances, including most of mine! My poor toaster oven! I won it in a contest, you know.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Air is lava! posted:

Yeah. Of course you can look past this. But I don't know how much an actual kid would eat this up. Children can be pretty impressionable.
The lesson this teaches is literally, "If you want something from someone else, find out what they like and pretend to care about it."

But I am giving this the benefit of a doubt. Maybe the developers actually just wanted everyone to become friends.

Fortunately, no children ever actually played this series.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That is kind of how socializing works in the parent game. Maybe less dialogue tree-y.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 10: Up, Up, And Not Away

Okay! Now we can build stairs!

Lots of stairs.

We could even build super-wide stairs if we wanted to, but meh, that's like effort.

: Man, who would have thought getting to the harbor would have been so much work! Now I'm doubly glad you won the wand, Sam!

So, okay. Barney lives at the harbor. He obviously arrived at the castle just fine earlier in the day, which means that all these stairs and bridges and stuff went broken and missing after Barney got there. The only explanation I can think of is that Marlon must have poofed out and broken everything just to make sure that the new Wandolier would have ample opportunity to try out those new powers.

WIZAAAAARDS :argh:

: Fantastic! It sure is great having a friend who's a Wandolier!

We head up the stairs and come to this gate and water wheel.

: Something's wrong with the gate to the harbor, pal. I think it's closed!

: The switch that opens the gate isn't powered. It looks like we'll need to replace the gears here to make the gate open.

The camera zooms up dramatically.

Princess Butter beams evilly.

: I hid it in a secret place where only I can find it!

: Oh. Well, why don't we just ask her nicely? It worked with Elmira.

: Be nice to Butter? Are you serious?! That will never work!

: Trust me, Sam! Just try to Socialize with Princess Butter.

Right, right. Fortunately the princess has come down off her perch. Sam tries just talking to her, but...

... well... well FINE

We're really just working our way through a flowchart here. If we mess up, the conversation just loops back to an earlier exchange and we get to try again.

Anyway, Sam decides to tell the princess the one about the swineherd who only had two pigs.

And she thinks it's funny!

Ooh. Um. Well, she's in a playful mood, and Sam just happens to have these puppets laying around...

I think she liked it.

She did! The comedy option is working well for us, so let's juggle.

yaaaaay

However, this just puts her back in a playful mood. The game kindly notes that we've put on a puppet show for her before and it made her Delighted; this seems like the right direction, so Sam does that again and then goes in for the hug.

still cute

And we win again!

I... but... you wanted to hang out with the lowly pig-boy all along? Really? how is Buddy always right

: Okay, I hid the Gear Scroll in a chest near my mushroom garden.

You're right, Butter. I would never have found that in a million years. Anyway, we've won over the princess and claimed our reward!

: See? That wasn't so bad! I told you she was nice!

We've also unlocked the ability to Be Nice or Be Mean to random Sims. If we are randomly Nice to Butter:

awww

She pops out Happy Essences for us! And then she runs the heck off before we can Be Mean and get Angry Essences for our collection, dammit. Guess she's smarter than she looks.

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: I guess we shouldn't make gears out of wood, huh?

---

Video: Socializing With Butter
Watch this one if you can, because the voice work is really good.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how Sam apparently has multiple spontaneous puppet shows. That's just quality protagonism.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Dammit Princess, stop being so agreeable!! :argh:

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Cuteness levels, so high, can barely keep head above them.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Glazius posted:

I like how Sam apparently has multiple spontaneous puppet shows. That's just quality protagonism.

He might be only an assistant pig-boy but he's fully qualified to be a Sims socialite.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Glazius posted:

You mean you don't carry around a bunch of puppets in your back pocket, just in case?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Psion posted:

He might be only an assistant pig-boy but he's fully qualified to be a Sims socialite.

Clearly he's been practicing on the pigs. Princess Butter really just wants a belly rub.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009

Even Buddy is delighted by the juggling!

These games are way too cute.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Wait, so is Butter supposed to be Beebee Mark II (or the other way around, I guess)? They don't seem much alike, aside from their talent for providing unexpected :unsmith: moments.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Seyser Koze posted:

Wait, so is Butter supposed to be Beebee Mark II (or the other way around, I guess)? They don't seem much alike, aside from their talent for providing unexpected :unsmith: moments.

When you first meet Beebee in the original MySims, she introduces herself by saying, "I am Princess Beebee the Kind and Wise, ruler of the bunny people!"

At least Beebee is merely vacuous instead of spoiled rotten. :v:

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I don't know why, but every time Buddy speaks, I imagine him having Stan Lee's voice.

Maybe it's his boundless enthusiasm.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like people aren't addressing the most important issue. When is it gonna be dress up time?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Quiet Python posted:

I don't know why, but every time Buddy speaks, I imagine him having Stan Lee's voice.

Maybe it's his boundless enthusiasm.

alcharagia, on April 16, 2013, in the Agents thread posted:

I can't not hear Buddy in my head as Stan Lee.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Maybe it's because he calls everyone Pal.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Can Barney be Scruffy the Janitor?

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like people aren't addressing the most important issue. When is it gonna be dress up time?

Soon! Dress-up time is soon! I just want to power through Tutorial Island before we start on it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Picayune posted:

Soon! Dress-up time is soon! I just want to power through Tutorial Island before we start on it.

It better be soon. :colbert: We're a Wandolier now, we shouldn't be wearing pig-boy rags.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Not even pig-boy rags. Assistant Pig-Boy rags. Pig-boy rags would be a step up.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 11: Mine, Mine, It's All Mine

Well! I think our goal is clear!

That's right: we're going to build another staircase in order to reach the ledge that Princess Butter was standing on earlier. Gears? Pff.

The tiny cubical badger freaks out and burrows underground when Sam gets close.

Still, we're not here for badgers, as cute as they are. We're here because of this hidden chest!

The chest explodes in Mana, Simoleon Essences, and... a statue of King Roland? Enjoy this look at it, folks: we won't actually be able to look at it again in-game for a very long time.

... is what I would say if I didn't have a completed save kicking around. Here is a very slightly better view of the King Roland statue. Hey, I didn't say anything about getting a good look at it.

After picking up the statue of Roland, Sam jumps down, unmakes that staircase in order to reclaim his Mana, and runs back to the castle. His goal: the gearmaking scroll.

Aww, the princess giftwrapped it for us.

... mining, you say

: Why don't you try mining over there? It looks like a good spot to me!

So it does!

In the mining minigame, Sam plays Hot and Cold with a wall. He picks up this pickaxe--thanks, Elmira, I guess?--and hops along, tapping at the wall and listening to the noises this produces.

Every time he plinks at the wall, we see a colored impact and hear sonar-like beeping. As the beeps rise higher in pitch, the impact circles get closer to red...

There! Sam's echolocation has picked up a pocket of minerals!

Sam starts whacking at the wall in earnest, dislodging a bunch of giant screws. Okay, Metal Essences. Eventually the pocket runs dry, Sam goes 'woohoo!', and the process repeats itself until we get bored and quit.

We also find a small deposit of chocolate bars. I mean Bronze Essences. Well, honestly, if it had been chocolate, I would not have been in the least surprised. You'll see what I mean later.

Anyway, once Sam has mined enough metal to complete the Scroll Of Gearmaking, he returns the pick to its place and goes to find Lyndsay.

: Wee! Mining looks fun!

: Hey, Sam! Did you finish a Scroll?

... :what:

: Fantastic! I bet those gears will be super useful!

Gears away! Sam gains the power of small gear and large gear. Large Gear?!

: Let's hurry up and power that switch, Sam! I think we'll have to make it spin using gears...

blah blah blah gear gear blah

: Hooray! The gate is open! You're unstoppable, Sam!

And we all go through the opened gate and arrive at the harbor!

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Where does Barney intend to store his fancy new toaster oven, anyway?

---

Video: Mining Tutorial
Now you can learn how to mine right along with Sam, in twenty-five seconds or less!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Aw man I was gonna make a metal gear joke and the game did it first

• Locked thread