Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

quote:

Large Gear?!
Farming those things in Nier was terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Seyser Koze posted:

Farming those things in Nier was terrible.

As far as farming goes, that was not exactly the worst part of the game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. I wonder how many other resource minigames there are. That looks kind of fun, gathering stuff and all.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

Huh. I wonder how many other resource minigames there are. That looks kind of fun, gathering stuff and all.

Ohhh, maybe a few more. Just... a few.

Also, I want to note for the record that the Sims-LP Curse took out my modem yesterday. Fortunately we're back up and running now!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 12: Harboring Fugitives

The camera sweeps down the short dock.

: Sure, Buddy, it's great if you want to live alone, but it's a nightmare when you want to entertain guests. Plus, there's nowhere for me to plug in my new toaster oven. How am I s'posed to make pizza bagels?

Barney turns to Sam.

: Sam, I'm having some friends over tonight and I promised them pizza bagels. Can you help me out?

Man, someone was confident in his ability to take second place.

: Lyndsay, I think you might be able to use this to help him.

Lyndsay unrolls the new scroll.

Heck yes! To unlock this scroll's sweet, sweet house powers, we need Wood and Bronze. Huh. Sam runs back to the mining wall right quick and hews out some more chocolate bars, then returns to Lyndsay.

: Wow! Let's see what you can build now...

And we unlock... hoo boy. Barney's House Paints, the Medium Base Block, the Peasant Chimney, the Peasant Dormer, Peasant Windows in two sizes--I am sensing a theme here--the Porch Roof, the Peasant Door, the Peasant Roof, and two sizes of Bush, Tall and Short. I... think now is when I'm going to stop screencapping everything we unlock. This is a decision I will not regret making!

BWAM

GODDAMMIT

Marlon ignores Buddy entirely.

: Sam, you can find Mana almost anywhere as you explore the kingdom. However... if you ever need more, just turn to Lyndsay!

: Me?! What can I do, Marlon?

: You can place extra Essences in the Magic Bag and transmute them into Mana for Sam!

Marlon beams at Sam.

: Just approach Lyndsay anytime and choose to Transmute when you want some extra Mana! Okay, I promise not to interfere any further. This is YOUR quest, Sam!

And away he goes. Everyone turns back to Barney--

Anyway.

Let's build us a house. Note: we finally learn about doors.

Doop de doo!

There! Nice house. Many windows. So bushes. Wow.

... anyway, let's paint the house while we're at it.

Ooooh, gold.

Note that we can paint these little windowsills. Most things that we can build consist of lots of little parts that can be painted independently, should Sam want to.

See, Sam painted the windowsills gold and the shutters a nice shade of royal blue. Blue goes with gold, right? Sam's wearing a yellow shirt and blue pants, so it's got to be okay!

Hooray, he likes it! As a reward, Barney spews Mana everywhere.

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Another day, another Scroll, another silly minigame!

Picayune fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 12, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I hope Marlon never stops. :allears:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Waffleman_ posted:

He's pretty good at trolling Buddy. A+ for effort on that, Marlon.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Waffleman_ posted:

I suspect he's spent this whole time spying on Sam with a crystal ball, waiting for a moment to butt in.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MySims Kingdome: Did Someone Say El Peeeeeeeee?!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I suspect he's spent this whole time spying on Sam with a crystal ball, waiting for a moment to butt in.
He's like a benevolent Bellegar. Except he's not rhyming.

Poil fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 12, 2014

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

This game is amazing. :allears:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I love how concerned he is about the lack of pizza bagels.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Pizza bagels are good, man.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Picayune posted:

BWAM

GODDAMMIT

Games are art :allears:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 13: Ground Bacon And Bee Pictures

Barney gives Lyndsay another Scroll, which she unrolls.

Sam's a good sport. Woo hoo, yay! :unsmith:

: But wait... Stone and... Amber?! Barney, where are we supposed to find this stuff?

: The ground. I'm going to give you guys my old treasure finder! You can use it to dig up all sorts of things!

: Wow! Think of all the treasure we could find! Stone, mana, precious gems--

: --and Bacon!

Let's just... remember that she said that, okay?

: Bacon is delicious!

Brief pause. Barney turns to Sam.

: Anyhow, here's the treasure finder.

: Alright, Sam, let's dig around and see what we can find!

Sam nods.

We've unlocked all four wand modes: no wand, building wand, painting wand, and metal-detecting wand.

The treasure detector works exactly like free-range mining: walk around watching the radar circles change color and listening to the boopy noises. When the circles go bright red and the boopy noises go all high-pitched and excited, Sam has found something!

Sam pulls out Elmira's shovel and digs at the ground for a minute...

... and the world explodes in bouncy treasures, yaaaaay. Eventually Sam digs up enough Essences to satisfy the Scroll.

: Hey, Sam! Did you finish a Scroll? Let's go tell Barney we're done!

... he's... right there, Lyndsay

Anyway! We get: Barney's Interior Paints, a Bookshelf, a basic wooden Coffee Table, a Cooking Pot, a Bee Picture, a Sunflower Vase, a Teddy Bear, some Cooking Utensils on a wooden pegboard, a Traditional Bed and Couch, a kitchen Counter, and a Dresser.

: Did you talk to Barney? He sure is particular!

Barney goes into his new house! Let's follow.

... I know I did not build you a square house, Barney. Also I do not see the windows that I so lovingly placed and painted. I call shenanigans on this adorable Escherian nightmare!

Uh, anyway. The television icon is Domestic Essence, which is the game's shorthand for 'furniture'. Also, looks like Barney wants a house that's a little Fun and just a tiny bit Cute. Awww.

Kitchen complete, with plenty of extra counter space for that toaster oven!

Bee!

A couch, a coffee table, and a bookshelf make a nice minimal living room.

And a bed and dresser make a bedroom! Plus some sunflowers and a teddy bear. For Fun.

Sam puts wood paneling in the bedroom and tile on the kitchen floor. Notice that we could paint the couch upholstery a lovely shade of Gross Wallpaper if we wanted to.

Aww, Barney's happy.

Let's give him a bright green bedspread.

She? Oh, Barney, are you sweet on Elmira? :allears:

... seriously, it had better be Elmira, because I don't like any of your other options

: Now, could you follow me outside? I have something I'd like to give you.

He's totally just kicking us out of his house now that we're of no further use to him.

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: It was all a dream! ... a test. I meant test. It was all a test!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I've always thought it was just a little bit creepy when everything smiles at you.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Picayune posted:

... I know I did not build you a square house, Barney. Also I do not see the windows that I so lovingly placed and painted. I call shenanigans on this adorable Escherian nightmare!

You think that's bad? If you place a block inside a house, put a door on it, and then enter through the door you'll end up outside the door you originally entered the house by! Explain how THAT works.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I want a MySims movie directed by Lord & Miller.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

dijon du jour posted:

You think that's bad? If you place a block inside a house, put a door on it, and then enter through the door you'll end up outside the door you originally entered the house by! Explain how THAT works.

!

AAAAAUGH

I did not know it would do that!

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
What did you expect? You made the house out of magic. Also, does that mean that you can make yourself a giant castle with all the cool things later on?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh man, Pig-Boy Sam: Dimensional Traveler.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Picayune posted:

!

AAAAAUGH

I did not know it would do that!

Yup, that's it! :D Congratulations, Barney: your house now contains the entire universe.

One of the really unfortunate things about this game, as somewhat demonstrated in Picayune's previous two posts, is that the inside of a house is independent of its outside structure, and is in fact completely independent of any structure at all! The indoor cell of a building is actually determined on a plot-of-land-by-plot-of-land basis, with some plots of land not having an indoor cell at all. As such all doors are just programmed to lead to a door in the corresponding indoor/outdoor cell of where they are currently placed.

This can lead to a lot of temporal shenanigans. For example, if Sam picks up Barney's house and places it on the plot of land with King Roland's castle, the outside door of Barney's house will now lead inside King Roland's castle, and presumably the inside door of Barney's house will now lead into a black void, leaving Barney, and his toaster oven, trapped forever in his own pocket dimension.
It also means that our house creativity opportunities are fairly limited as no matter how crazy the outside looks, the inside will mostly be the same square or rectangle-ish room. Bleh.

Side note: as I was playing around with the houses just now I deleted the outside door to Barney's house and as soon as I did that Lyndsay looked really worried, said something about a door, and vanished in a puff of smoke. :stonk:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

dijon du jour posted:

Side note: as I was playing around with the houses just now I deleted the outside door to Barney's house and as soon as I did that Lyndsay looked really worried, said something about a door, and vanished in a puff of smoke. :stonk:

Is this a creepypasta?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Waffleman_ posted:

Is this a creepypasta?

And then hyper-realistic blood spewed everywhere, which is good because I needed that to complete a furniture scroll.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

dijon du jour posted:

Congratulations.

You broke it.

You broke the universe.

(hee hee hee mysims creepypasta)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Great, now I'm imagining Buddy trying to tell scary stories around a campfire.

: And then the game, like, totally glitched out, Sam!

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
Let's Play! > MySims Kingdom: The Navidson Record

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 14: One Weird Old Pigeon (Discovered By A King)

And as Barney turns to go:

POOF POOF

: You see, Sam, this island was your final test. You have proven both your skill and your compassion.

: You're a clever and determined Sim, Sam.

Marlon looks sad.

: We will certainly miss your company while you're away...

: Wait, I don't understand. Is Sam going somewhere?

: Ho ho! Indeed! You see today wasn't just about naming a new Wandolier... Sam, I'm sending you on a great quest!

Both Buddy and Lyndsay gasp and flail around.

: Whoa!

: A quest for King Roland?!

: As you know, my kingdom stretches over the entire world. That's a lot of area for just one king to cover! I wish I could be everywhere at once, but, well...

The king giggles bashfully.

: At my age it is not always so easy, you know!

: That is your quest, Sam.

Roland beams at us.

: Of course, I would never ask you to do this alone! Buddy, Lyndsay, you will accompany Sam on this quest.

Yay! says Sam.

: You do! Lyndsay, I need you to continue to support Sam with Marlon's Magic Bag.

: Yes, Your Majesty.

The king turns to Buddy.

: And Buddy, you will continue to be my loyal messenger.

Buddy salutes the King.

We are joined by Buddy's pigeon friend, Guillermo. Lyndsay scowls.

: Guillermo? You're bringing that weird old pigeon?

: Hey, Guillermo's my pal. He's really smart, too!

Lyndsay suddenly realizes that she has fallen into the Buddy Zone. She sighs heavily and turns back to the King.

: Your Majesty, there's just one thing I don't understand... how do we know when we've completed the quest?!

: Well, as you help Sims around the kingdom, I'll hear stories of your achievements. With each accomplishment, you'll earn a little bit more of my favor, and I'll reward you for your efforts.

: Well, I wouldn't call it points, exactly...

Screw you, king! Team Sam invents its own reality!

: Does that sound fair?

Sam nods.

: Then the quest has begun! You can leave as soon as you're ready. Barney, please give these three access to the royal ship!

oh thank goodness no more teleporting

: And Sam, since you're going all over the kingdom, maybe you can help me out with my fish collection?

No. :mad:

: Anytime you see a new fish, make sure to come talk to me and I'll give you a reward! Thanks!

Gosh, that sounds like a collection sidequest that might involve some kind of fishing minigame!

Nah. Couldn't be.

: Good luck, Sam!

: Stop by the castle anytime you want cupcakes!

The two of them poof back out.

Woo hoo, yay!

We all run for the boat.

My pals! And look at that face. Sam is already So Tired Of This poo poo. :allears:

Anyway! We now have access to our world map--or some of it, anyway. Two lands are open to us, each with their own problems to solve...

:siren: Should Sam follow the sign of the pig to Renee's Nature Preserve? Or should he horseshoe over to Cowboy Junction? :siren:

I'm going to let the vote run for forty-eight hours, because it sounds like the forums might be wobbly over the next few days and I want to give everyone a chance to help make this momentous decision. :colbert:

Picayune fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 18, 2014

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Screw nature, let's go to the Wild Wild (Island of the) West!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
You can't ever quite escape your destiny. Go to the Pig Preserve, to continue the one thing you were ever good at.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Sam must overcome his horrible Pigboy past by following the scent of Pig in the air to Pig Island for Pig Quest 2014!

Or Renee Something Something.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What shall we do with the drunken pigboy
What shall we do with the drunken pigboy
What shall we do with the drunken pigboy early in the morning

Send him to the pig preserve.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

East is right, and therefore correct. To the Isle of Pigs!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Once a pigboy always a pigboy. Follow the pigs, Sam.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

This little pigherd went to the Preserve.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 16, 2014

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
Renee's Nature Preserve! It'll be great to see Renee again.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Swine before pearls.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I'm gonna say Cowboy Junction because it has the better writing and the Nature Preserve is honestly kind of boring, adorable cubical animals notwithstanding.

By the way Picayune are you going to post the in-game character bios in the thread somewhere? Some of them can really help explain some backstories. I'd recommend posting them after we finish each island, though, as a number of them do spoil future gags. For example, Marlon's says that he failed Teleportation Etiquette 101 in wizard school. :mmmhmm:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

dijon du jour posted:

I'm gonna say Cowboy Junction because it has the better writing and the Nature Preserve is honestly kind of boring, adorable cubical animals notwithstanding.
That sounds like a good reason to do the pigfarm first, actually. Try to have the writing ramp up over the game. I mean, I assume we'll be visiting both locations anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
Yay! We finally get to sail around the world!

I vote to go to Cowboy Junction first.

• Locked thread