Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Shibby, sorry if you got booted when I disconnected, I was plugging my mic in. You missed out on seeing me ram someone on the last lap when I was on a flyer and they were swerving a ton down the straightaway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Great job on the new thread, as for newbies; if you like hyper realistic fun times get in on this. It's a blast and it's seriously the most adrenaline I've gotten out of a video game ever. I might come back one of these days as I have a DF-GT and Playseat just collecting dust, perhaps when I move into a house in August with more room I might try to get back in on it.

Sell me dat playseat brah.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Lord Crapulus posted:

Shibby, sorry if you got booted when I disconnected, I was plugging my mic in. You missed out on seeing me ram someone on the last lap when I was on a flyer and they were swerving a ton down the straightaway.

I only had a few minutes in the first place because I have a lacrosse game I gotta ref at 6:30.

I hope you bitched them out and blamed them for ruining your flyer :colbert:

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

I've never seen a better way to sum up the GT3 series.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Bentai posted:

No idea if you've tried this yet, but it made my old Logitech Momo feel much better.

1) Download this program: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/downloadAttach/2216014.page
2) Run the program and choose the "Min Force" option for "Spring Force."
3) Look for the result on the bottom left "Your maximum value" and a number.
4) Set the resulting number as a percentage in the FFB section for the in-game options.
5) Adjust the in-game FFB strength to the global average for the car, or to the track average: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/2023748.page#4695380

Full thread: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/2023748.page

Thanks, I tinkered with this and it seems to have done the trick. I did the Min Force test before, but it gives inconsistent results... 1%-3.5% so I always put 3.5%. I lowered it to 1% and changed the strength to the track average and it's now driveable. I can still hear the FFB motors rattling, but at least its not kicking my hands around down the straightaway.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

That's what I've used and had no problems with.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't know why but Road America T1 is always, always a clusterfuck.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Personperson14 posted:

Iracing pretty much get's away with all it's poo poo because there isn't really an alternative to a good online sim, or a good oval sim for that matter.

Yeah, that's how they got me. I really hope Assetto Corsa or something takes off in a big way and adds a serious online component, because iRacing needs some competition in this niche.

Bentai posted:

If a player could -- without paying the purchase price -- test drive other cars and tracks or watch races with those unowned cars/tracks, I think it would solve a number of gripes and improve revenue.

Yeah, it's completely bizarre that you can't even spectate races with cars you don't own. It surely loses them a ton of business, besides just coming off as tight-fisted. I sure as hell won't buy a car I haven't had the chance to drive.

The excuse for all this price stuff seems to always be 'laser scanning is expensive', but frankly I don't understand why it's even necessary in the first place. Laser-scanning produces incredibly accurate surface data, which is then massively scaled down and simplified into the drivable surface we actually use in-game by track designers anyway. If they did a much cheaper, and faster, GPS scanning process, the end result would be essentially indistinguishable (assuming talented track designers, which they most certainly have).

I dunno, as someone who works in simulation this sort of stuff really bugs me (:spergin: incoming). What makes simulations accurate is not chucking huge amounts of data at them, the data has to be reinterpreted to become actually usable, and then the processes using that data have to be accurate. The laser-scan is a static portrait of what is in reality a constantly-changing surface -- yet most of those processes aren't modelled, and the tyre model which is critical to the whole enterprise is constantly undergoing revision anyway. So why not give us GPS-scanned tracks that are 99.5% the same and spend that time/money doing some real work on the simulation engine?

I've seen the odd thread on the iRacing forums talking about this, I hope they might take it on board someday. I really think it'd be better for the future of the sim, not to mention the potential cost reduction.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I always liked this video as my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWj5MQP2bRg

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

RIP oak tree.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VIR is my favorite track but I mess up so much on some of those corners.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Almost hit the McLaren 7800 rpm limiter thanks to a double BMW tow down the main straight at Phillip Island.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ran the truck race at Las Vegas last night and saw a few things. The track is made out of sandpaper over a rocky surface.
The track was so dammed bumpy that my hands were fatigued from death grip. The tires fell off quickly due to the sandpaper.

I could have had a good finish but ended up missing the start because my headset was being a pain in the rear end and I was fiddling with it to get it to work.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah driving Charlotte right after feels soooo smooooth

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I swear I got a 2x from a damned bump in warmup on the low side of a turn there was no one around me truck bounced and I got 2x

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
DW12 retains the amazing crash physics of the old indycar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCzb26Yct1Q

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Largepotato posted:

The disco music made that 100x better. There's gotta be something in the crash physics formulas that amplify the flying force based on speed, and with speeds of 220+mph it's probably that much more unrealistic/hilarious

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
I was practicing with the SM at Road Atlanta and spun through the grass at maybe 90. I didn't hit anything and the spin took me back on to the track; when I hit pavement I started rolling. I think there's more than just a few things wrong with the crash model.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
It doesn't help that any crash with nearly that much force in real life totally tears the car apart, and that is not at all modeled.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Just FYI guys, iRacing has been cracking down on bad language in voice chat. was racing the other day and someone had mentioned they aren't giving warnings anymore

Other night had a guy in race ask someone to stop swearing so much because he had kids in the room. the reply was "gently caress you"
"We received multiple protests" came up today.

Don't forget some of us have kids in the room.. I always have headset on so they can't hear but others may not be so smart.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Largepotato posted:

Get a load of this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOItiDD1TeU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

So dizzy :psyboom:

tater_salad posted:

Just FYI guys, iRacing has been cracking down on bad language in voice chat. was racing the other day and someone had mentioned they aren't giving warnings anymore

So let's say I hypothetically rearend someone during warmup and he starts cussing at me. Should I protest him?

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 21, 2014

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KingShibby posted:

So dizzy :psyboom:

So let's say I hypothetically rearend someone during warmup and he starts cussing at me. Should I protest him?

Yep.. Sporting Code says no bad language on voice or text.. generally I'd say most folks let it slide in a case like that but it's protestable.

My rule is that if someoen says stop cussing and then the same person keeps it up, or gets even worse.. then its time to hit the protest button.. if someoen gets spun into the wall and says "Hey man what the gently caress" in a fit of rage I'm not one to judge.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I think the point where I felt the need to whine to mummy because the mean man used nasty words is the point I'd have to kill myself.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dudley posted:

I think the point where I felt the need to whine to mummy because the mean man used nasty words is the point I'd have to kill myself.

I'm not running to mummy because the mean man used nasty words.. but when someone kindly asks them to keep it down and the other driver is a dick about it I'm down with hitting the protest button.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's about sportsmanship. iRacing is trying to recreate real world professional racing. Although if you've listened to radio chatter during NASCAR races....

I personally don't give a gently caress though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That, and there's no reason this should be a family-unfriendly game. There are kids that drive better than some of the grown-rear end men.

It's not that fuckin' hard to clamp down on it for iRacing, is it?

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007
Oops

Burn the Priest
Apr 20, 2010
Just finished my first Coca-Cola 600. Went okay, dodged some big wrecks early, and we had a nice long 135 lap green flag run in the middle of the race. Fell off the lead lap because the car was way too tight on the long run, then got the lucky dog near the end only to speed on entry to pit road for my final pit stop :suicide: had to serve a 15 second hold penalty under green. Might've gotten a top 5 if it weren't for that but I did wind up 8th anyway so I'm not too upset about that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Did you get like a million SR?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
iracing has always been harsh on protests involving bad language.

It's basically the only type of protest that will work other than extremely blatant wrecking or retaliation.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

This is actually pretty entertaining. Just finished my 4th rookie race on American International. I've done poorly in every race so far (been disqualified from 2 of them however).

Sadly I am stuck racing with a controller until at least next week but this is pretty fun and I'm sure I'll end up buying a few tracks in June.

How many people play this intoxicated? Seems like it would be either fun or stupid hard after a few too many drinks (but I'm sure we tell ourselves we are fine to drive).

Also the regular rookie races seem to only have 4 tracks running, is that normal? Like the only 2 free tracks that run over and over is USA International speedway and Leguna. Those are fun and all but I would like to race some other tracks!

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

How many people play this intoxicated? Seems like it would be either fun or stupid hard after a few too many drinks (but I'm sure we tell ourselves we are fine to drive).
Ovals only. Drinking and road courses equal death. It's way too easy to forget the line for one corner.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also the regular rookie races seem to only have 4 tracks running, is that normal? Like the only 2 free tracks that run over and over is USA International speedway and Leguna. Those are fun and all but I would like to race some other tracks!
Tracks change once a week. Rookie ovals swap between USA and Charlotte. Rookie road cycles between Okayama/Lime Rock/Summit Point/Laguna Seca with the occasional Charlotte road config.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

tater_salad posted:

Ran the truck race at Las Vegas last night and saw a few things. The track is made out of sandpaper over a rocky surface.
The track was so dammed bumpy that my hands were fatigued from death grip. The tires fell off quickly due to the sandpaper.

I could have had a good finish but ended up missing the start because my headset was being a pain in the rear end and I was fiddling with it to get it to work.

As boring as the 1.5 ovals are supposed to be, I seem to have a knack for running quick times around them, at least when I'm by myself. I qualified 31.533 and time trialed 31.830 in my first tries.

Now I need to learn how to not have disastrous races. I ballsed up every chance I had at Charlotte, the last one being when someone took the air off my spoiler in turn 4, sending me through the infield when I was too aggressive recovering from the side slip.

I'm wondering if there's something to be said for conserving your front right tire at 1.5 races. You can really feel in the FFB when you're punishing the front right. I know that in 10 lap runs my laps 3-4 fall off much faster if I turn in as aggressively on the first couple laps as if I'm qualifying. I did some 10 lap runs in my time trial starting with a gentle first few laps, and my averages stayed closer together but still ended up slightly higher than if I drove the tires off in the first three laps and then made do for the remainder.

Burn the Priest
Apr 20, 2010

LordPants posted:

Did you get like a million SR?
Yeah I maxed it out, back up to A 4.99 on the oval side! :neckbeard:

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.
Tried iracing with the PS4's controller and it seems to work alright although not anywhere near as good as what a wheel would be I guess. Did a qualifying round and left the track a couple of times and once hitting a barrier causing some damage but was still going well for a complete noob until my last lap. Misjudged a corner and came off track, rejoined the track carefully as a guy was coming up fast but I had enough space to get back onto the road. Hits me from behind causing me to spin out and my car was wrecked and it was only when I watched the replay when I realised I hadn't screwed up. The fucker had more than enough space to get passed without even needing to dodge me but decides to swerve and do a pit manoeuvre on me.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Really, if you want to do anything outside of Rookie and don't want to pony up for a G27, get one of these -> http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-PlayStation-Driving-Force-Racing-3/dp/B0015HYPOO

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Minto Took posted:

Really, if you want to do anything outside of Rookie and don't want to pony up for a G27, get one of these -> http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-PlayStation-Driving-Force-Racing-3/dp/B0015HYPOO

Dfgt is a solid starter wheel, check your local Craigs list, I got mine and a stand for 75.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yep, I still use my DFGT. Look for refurb deals on them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

If anyone is looking to get in to sim racing and wants a cheap wheel, I have the one linked below. Willing to let it go cheap so I can reclaim some shelf space.

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Ferrari-Force-Feedback-Racing-6306200/dp/B001EAORVS

• Locked thread