Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

thats how you charge up the field imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
I'm having a hard time with the last turn on jefferson course with the mazda mx5, any tips for a newbie?

simble
May 11, 2004

Start by doing it retardedly slowly and work your way up.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

A nice little two car pass from OhSh (in the silver Apple Ruf).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1323qrzEOI

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Just realized I need to make a stop at the nationwide series before going to nascar, or trying to get a C4.0 which seems damned near impossible without TT's
sadly the NW series runs at times that are putting kids to bed time, and putting myself to bed time.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

tater_salad posted:

Just realized I need to make a stop at the nationwide series before going to nascar, or trying to get a C4.0 which seems damned near impossible without TT's
sadly the NW series runs at times that are putting kids to bed time, and putting myself to bed time.

Your best bet is to wait for the Fixed IndyCar to be at Michigan and run some of those. Participation always goes way up at MIS and it's a flat-out track.

Edit: That week starts 6/17

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 30, 2014

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KingShibby posted:

Your best bet is to wait for the Fixed IndyCar to be at Michigan and run some of those. Participation always goes way up at MIS and it's a flat-out track.

Mis to get to c 4.0? Indy is c class I thought I want to get from b to a and it seems like nationwide is the only b oval series I'd hate to buy $30 in stuff for 4 races. Maybe I'll just stick with the rest of the truck series this season and spend my race budget on truck tracks which will also prep for gen6

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Fixed setup Indy is c class but open setup is b.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

KingShibby posted:

One of us. One of us! ONE OF US!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Once the new car cones out I was going to run some indy.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

tater_salad posted:

Once the new car cones out I was going to run some indy.

It's already out :colbert:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

GoonCar World Series is racing at Iowa this Sunday night: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3621266

Event starts at 9:00 PM EDT with the race starting at 9:30 PM EDT.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KingShibby posted:

It's already out :colbert:

When I tried to buy for this week's race it was $5 which I assumed is the old car configuration. Is there a deal on the car this week?

simble
May 11, 2004

They released the DW12 only for the Indy 500 (there's only iRacing setups for Indy) which they cancelled after the service hosed up.

The car you'd buy today will more than likely be the one they use next season.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

simble posted:

They released the DW12 only for the Indy 500 (there's only iRacing setups for Indy) which they cancelled after the service hosed up.

The car you'd buy today will more than likely be the one they use next season.

If I can get at least a full season out of it then 5 isn't bad at all.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Just did a rookie Street Stock race, and when I hit the tow button after a crash I had to wait a minute or so for the tow and then another minute or so for repairs to be completed. I thought that at rookie and D level, your first tow in a race included an instant repair. Did this change recently?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The tow itself is not instant. Are you sure it was repairing and you just didn't have tires and fuel selected?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Cojawfee posted:

The tow itself is not instant. Are you sure it was repairing and you just didn't have tires and fuel selected?

I know the tow isn't instant, but the first repair was since I'm still in rookie. Previously, the first time I hit the tow button in a race, I would be teleported to the pit, my car would be instantly repaired, and after I waited a certain amount of time for the tow, the pit crew's brake/go sign would come down and immediately be lifted again, and I would be on my way in perfect condition. Now, I have to wait for the tow, and then wait again while the sign is down and all the damage is repaired before I can get going again. In short, the last time I played, about two months ago, my first tow would include an instant repair, and now the repairs take time in addition to the tow. I haven't changed any of my pit settings either.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Wooooo finally got my road iRating higher than my oval again! CotA's been fun this week. It took me forever to learn the track, but now that I've got it down, it's really comfortable. This track really seems to have a huge time difference between the front and back of the grid too.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Highlights from Gooncar today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc_AZvUF5vs

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Tried indy yesterday night, they are a drat blast.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Great music choice. This makes me want to get the SASCAR league going again.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Star Mazda Oval Week has arrived! in a few hours...

Anyone else running and working on a setup? All I've tested are gear ratios

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Slickdrac posted:

Great music choice. This makes me want to get the SASCAR league going again.

Do it! And do it on Saturday so I can race.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
We have trouble getting more than five people to show up once a week for GoonCar. I'll be there if another league happens, but it will probably be a struggle to get regular participation.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

SASCAR was street stocks last I remember.

About GoonCar, if ANYBODY has ideas to increase participation and so I can get better value for my hosted racing money, plz post here -> http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3621266

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
loving ugh I'm in 2nd place for the whole 1st half of the SM race at Charlotte, and on lap 40 I get pushed into the wall in the tri-oval by lapped cars :argh:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

ManicJason posted:

We have trouble getting more than five people to show up once a week for GoonCar. I'll be there if another league happens, but it will probably be a struggle to get regular participation.

That became the problem with SASCAR as well

advion
Jul 25, 2005
Alright I'm looking to 'upgrade' from my G27 to a Fanatec CSW. Anyone looking for a G27 kept in good shape for $160 (Wheel, Shifter, Pedals, Power)? Feel free to send me a PM and I'll try to get back to you ASAP.

Edit - Pending Sale, if it falls through this post will be updated.

advion fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 4, 2014

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Here's my SM Charlotte Qualifying setup if anyone's interested: https://www.dropbox.com/s/svgmoydf27ay8ap/Charlotte%20Oval%20QUAL3.sto

My best 2-lap time with this was a 35.220 on the 2nd lap. Getting ready to run my 2nd SM race at Charlotte, hopefully this one will go better than the last one...

Edit: Updated setup, new fast time is a 34.845 on the 2nd lap. It's not the easiest to control, but :drat: it's fast!

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 3, 2014

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Ugh again taken out by someone that doesn't know the meaning of the term "car inside". This time I was leading and the 2nd place car on the outside of me in T1/2 comes down the track in the middle of the corner and runs me over :sigh:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The person could have got some oversteer and wasn't able to correct it. I've noticed that unless you are really careful before the tires warm up, the car just snaps to overteer on the corners.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
You be the judge!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lzukvrpqzfbkkry/CharlotteJudge.rpy

Also we were on lap 41 of all green flag action, so I know their tires were warmed up

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 3, 2014

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Well I think I might be protesting a race for the first time ever. Started a Charlotte race on the pole, led every single lap until this happened:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dzfyjejq7b4tjzf/CharlotteOMGWTF.rpy

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Between your horror stories and how the thing felt in a practice, I think I'm skipping this week. It's odd, I've done the SM at Phoenix and Milwaukee, and both of those were alright, but the snap oversteer at Charlotte is too much.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Lord Crapulus posted:

Between your horror stories and how the thing felt in a practice, I think I'm skipping this week. It's odd, I've done the SM at Phoenix and Milwaukee, and both of those were alright, but the snap oversteer at Charlotte is too much.

I've had a blast racing the SM at Charlotte, the best I've been able to compare it to is a slower version of the IndyCar at Michigan. Once your tires heat up after a few laps I've had no issues with snap oversteer. You just have to camber your tires to the maximum positive (left-leaning) and that cures just about everything. I've been running the lowest allowed front wing and only 9° rear wing and have had no issues.

My biggest problem has been the morons wrecking me. I haven't caused a single wreck in the 3 races I've done, yet I've been wrecked in every race. In fact the guy that wrecked me in the last race went on to win.
http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=11042708
Tried protesting, gotta wait for the "cooldown period" Protest Filed

Edit: I'll be running again in 12 minutes, I have it set so that anyone can crew/spot for me, just use the password

quote:

stairs

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 4, 2014

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

If you look at the telemetry it sort of looks like the rear end is bottoming out and causing the snap, I didn't spend a lot of time with it but that stood out.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Dynamite Dog posted:

If you look at the telemetry it sort of looks like the rear end is bottoming out and causing the snap, I didn't spend a lot of time with it but that stood out.

With the new version of the SM you don't wanna run too low of a ride height or else you'll bottom out. I try to keep the lowest ride height at around 1.2".

Also it only took 4 attempts, but I finally won my first Charlotte race from the pole!

http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=11043479

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

I haven't ever looked at telemetry before, what are you using? I've been running minimum ride heights everywhere except Mosport iirc. Certainly in the other two ovals I've ran this thing on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

I use atlas for all my telemetry, but I have some teammates that swear by motec. Both work equally well it seems.

I've also been running all the old bastard races as low as I can so I'm not sure what's different about the Charlotte set. Maybe the downforce and soft rear springs? It could actually be the spring split front to rear causing the rear to swing down more. Either way, higher ride heights/stiffer springs/damper changes should alleviate the snapping.

Somewhat unrelated, if anyone is running the road warrior race this weekend the telemetry is invaluable in showing the inside wheelspin off some corners.

• Locked thread