Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krakkles
May 5, 2003

jamal posted:

Get a different car.
I mean, that was the suggestion I wanted to make, but I figured everyone would dogpile "BUT THIS IS AI IT'S TOTALLY AI TO SPEND $20K ON A PIECE OF poo poo".

I get liking a car, but for $20k, you could get a better car that you'd like a lot more. And which would be a lot more reliable and in every objective sense superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remains Unseen
Oct 18, 2004
Fatal bought this crazy name for this fag but he owed me $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Just talked to the shop. They stated that they understand the 6.2 doesn't need a computer, but the fact that my current engine does use one somehow makes things difficult. I'm unsure why though.

For those folks saying I should get a different car:
What car would you suggest? I'm looking for something with a similar style, but more reliable and with the possibility of maintaining it for years to come. Diesel would be nice. I'm leaning towards a 4th gen Impala, but definitely open to ideas.

Thanks!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Remains Unseen posted:

Just talked to the shop. They stated that they understand the 6.2 doesn't need a computer, but the fact that my current engine does use one somehow makes things difficult. I'm unsure why though.

For those folks saying I should get a different car:
What car would you suggest? I'm looking for something with a similar style, but more reliable and with the possibility of maintaining it for years to come. Diesel would be nice. I'm leaning towards a 4th gen Impala, but definitely open to ideas.

Thanks!

If you want diesel, and are willing to spend $20k, get a Jetta TDI.

Hell, you can get some awesome vehicles for $20k.

Remains Unseen
Oct 18, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

If you want diesel, and are willing to spend $20k, get a Jetta TDI.

Hell, you can get some awesome vehicles for $20k.

Ah, I'm looking for something of a similar style to my Eldorado though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
get a 70' eldo and put a 6.6 Dmax in that fucker.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wait, what? They're saying your current engine uses a computer? I don't know poo poo about the olds diesel, but that feels fishy as hell, a mid 80s diesel from an american manufacturer probably has like 2 or 3 wires going to it.

Either way I think you need to find a new shop.

It's times like this I wish I had unlimited disposable income because honestly this sounds like a fun project, I'm just on the wrong side of the country to even consider helping.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Wait, what? They're saying your current engine uses a computer? I don't know poo poo about the olds diesel, but that feels fishy as hell, a mid 80s diesel from an american manufacturer probably has like 2 or 3 wires going to it.

Either way I think you need to find a new shop.

It's times like this I wish I had unlimited disposable income because honestly this sounds like a fun project, I'm just on the wrong side of the country to even consider helping.

Like he says, find another shop

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah either the service writer in that shop is horrendously unfamiliar with '80s GM stuff, or they're making up reasons to turn that job down because doing an undocumented conversion in a shop situation can get messy. Like I said both engines are mechanically injected, the closest thing to a computer in your car is the radio. Plus it's not like cars in the '80s had any sort of fancy electronic fun going on, the procedure for installing an engine that doesn't need an ECU into a car that has one is to simply cut all the unneeded wires out of the engine harness at the firewall plug and rock out.
For alternatives, G and B bodies are going to be comparable to your Caddy. Regal is probably the closest thing to what you have. Avoid 307 powered cars, they're slow and expensive to fix. Try to find an SBC powered example (all the G bodies and most B bodies had a 305 or 350 option).

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 22, 2014

Remains Unseen
Oct 18, 2004
Yep, the shop does sound sketchy to me as well. Every shop I have ever dealt with though has been sketchy. Although they did get really good reviews on yelp.

Anyone know of a reliable shop in the Puget Sound area that I could take this car to?

Remains Unseen
Oct 18, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

get a 70' eldo and put a 6.6 Dmax in that fucker.

Man, those 8th gen Eldorados are beautiful. So I would be converting one to diesel? How easy is a gas to diesel conversion?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Remains Unseen posted:

Yep, the shop does sound sketchy to me as well. Every shop I have ever dealt with though has been sketchy. Although they did get really good reviews on yelp.

Anyone know of a reliable shop in the Puget Sound area that I could take this car to?

Isn't 13/14 Inch Dick up in that area? I know there are a substantial number of PNW AI goons around, at least.

Don't know if 13's shop does swap stuff, though.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
This kind of work isn't for a regular car repair place.

This is the kind of work for a custom car builder/shop, unless you do it yourself.

If you go through a shop, good luck on leaving with only $20k into it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Remains Unseen posted:

Man, those 8th gen Eldorados are beautiful. So I would be converting one to diesel? How easy is a gas to diesel conversion?

Mind you I've had lots of booze over the years so some of these details are fuzzy

the TH425 uses the same bell as the BOP in your car. Same adapter. iirc the front driveline might be in the way of the oil pan.
The only issue with that trans is chains stretching.
mind you theres a 455 version motorhome that was milled out, and people ran the poo poo out of em...at 90mph.
theres also the sister, the toronado.

there is PLENTY of space for such a large rear end engine. jesus those things had massive engine bays.

I know the swap has been done in a deville of the era.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I don't think the chains really stretch on TH425s. I've heard of them outlasting several transmission rebuilds. GM put a lot of engineering effort into getting those right, and then had the Hurst Hairy Olds to showcase that.
I keep hounding my buddy to rebuild an old TH425 out of a motorhome because I want to see how those chains hold up.

Remains Unseen
Oct 18, 2004
I think I finally found a shop that is interested in putting in the Detroit 6.2. They quoted around 5-6k for the swap, which is much cheaper than I expected.

The shop wanted to know if there is a specific engine code/engine type needed here, as it sounds like there might be various types or variations of the 6.2. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again for the help everyone! :)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I totally get wanting to keep the car and put a new engine in, 20k is ludicrous though.

You need a good long chat with your new shop, find out what is and isn't included in that quote. Get an agreement on warranty, cost overruns, timing etc. Do you have another car to use while this happens?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Remains Unseen posted:

Diesel would be nice.

Why?

Psycho Donut Killer
Nov 29, 2000

It's All about the Poontang, Baby!
All this car needs is a head gasket job, right? Why not have the head gaskets replaced and get new grade 9 head bolts? Talk about scope creep.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Psycho Donut Killer posted:

All this car needs is a head gasket job, right? Why not have the head gaskets replaced and get new grade 9 head bolts? Talk about scope creep.

Because at the end of the day you still have a terrible engine.

Also, the 20k figure was one man's estimate thrown in the circle early in the thread, it's not the absolute set-in-stone figure for accomplishing this.
OP: I don't know any specific RPO codes but you absolutely want something '88 or later ('88 was the year they got all the reliability issues worked out), and '90-up will get you a little better performance and fuel economy.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 14, 2014

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, it's significantly cheaper given that there already are adapters to get the engine mated up to the transmission. Not designing some form of custom torque converter saves a whole lot, the last custom torque converter I had priced out was over $4,000. Engine mounts, cooling, fuel lines and exhaust don't need nearly the precision as the rotating assembly.

Psycho Donut Killer
Nov 29, 2000

It's All about the Poontang, Baby!
The thing is with good head gaskets and good head bolts and a water fuel separator they are not are arguably not a terrible engine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The thing is with good head gaskets and good head bolts and a water fuel separator they are not are arguably not a terrible engine.

This. The motor wasn't terrible, GM MADE it terrible. You can easily make the engine reliable and fairly perky.

Remains Unseen
Oct 18, 2004

Cakefool posted:

I totally get wanting to keep the car and put a new engine in, 20k is ludicrous though.

You need a good long chat with your new shop, find out what is and isn't included in that quote. Get an agreement on warranty, cost overruns, timing etc. Do you have another car to use while this happens?

The new quote was only 5k! I was thinking this isn't too bad. What do you think?

I'll definitely ask those questions though to the new shop.

Unfortunately I don't have another car to use, but I don't mind biking everywhere in the mean time. Keeps me in shape.

Remains Unseen
Oct 18, 2004

Good question. I eventually wanted to run this car on veggie oil, mainly because I thought it would be a cool idea. Maybe it's a dumb project, but I thought having a ridiculous looking cadi that runs on veggie oil would be the coolest thing ever.

Remains Unseen
Oct 18, 2004

It did...but the current shop has told me that no more head gaskets exist for this thing...and it is likely that the cylinder head is cracked as well.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Remains Unseen posted:

It did...but the current shop has told me that no more head gaskets exist for this thing

That's not true http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1026009&parttype=5412 It's even on sale buy buy buy!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Remains Unseen posted:

It did...but the current shop has told me that no more head gaskets exist for this thing...and it is likely that the cylinder head is cracked as well.

:ssh: That's code for "we don't want to touch it"

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Remains Unseen posted:

The new quote was only 5k! I was thinking this isn't too bad. What do you think?

I'll definitely ask those questions though to the new shop.

Unfortunately I don't have another car to use, but I don't mind biking everywhere in the mean time. Keeps me in shape.

Seems like a good price for a custom engine swap.

Ask them for pics of any other conversions they have done. You don't want this thing hacked up by some hillbilly who thinks they know how to do an engine swap.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Remains Unseen posted:

Good question. I eventually wanted to run this car on veggie oil, mainly because I thought it would be a cool idea. Maybe it's a dumb project, but I thought having a ridiculous looking cadi that runs on veggie oil would be the coolest thing ever.

I don't know anything specifically about 6.2 and SVO/biodiesel but most motors need some modifications as svo/bio will eat most of the older factory rubber components, like, o-rings, hoses, some gaskets etc. You'll want a oil pre-heat setup, and possibly a second tank and hardware for fuel switching if you have any kind of cool weather driving needs. You'd be foolish not to get that stuff plumbed in while the engine swap is happening.

Also, if you want any chance of longevity and reliability out of the engine on svo, you are going to need to ph balance, filter and dry that oil, so budget garage space, equipment, time and money to make that happen.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

Seems like a good price for a custom engine swap.

Ask them for pics of any other conversions they have done. You don't want this thing hacked up by some hillbilly who thinks they know how to do an engine swap.

On top of this - you're also doing a swap that few people (if anyone) has ever attempted, so you also need to account for the inevitable point where some component takes two or three revisions to make right.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Remains Unseen posted:

So get the head checked by a reputable machine shop, they'll tell you what state it's in. If it's good or only needs skimming get gaskets and updated head bolts and rejoice in saving $4-19k. If it's bad find a good head and do the same. Both are cheaper and more reliable than an undocumented swap and you'll probably be driving your car this year, versus possibly never when you scrap it in debt and frustration.

Cool car by the way, diesel caddy is stupid enough to be brilliant in my damaged mind.

Remains Unseen
Oct 18, 2004
Thought I would post an update. I found a shop that will do the swap for 5K.

What's the most I should pay for a 6.2 Detroit? If we have to buy a truck to pull it out of, what truck should I look for?

The only item that this shop mentioned: will a 6.2 be too tall for my car?

Thanks!

Remains Unseen
Oct 18, 2004

Cakefool posted:

So get the head checked by a reputable machine shop, they'll tell you what state it's in. If it's good or only needs skimming get gaskets and updated head bolts and rejoice in saving $4-19k. If it's bad find a good head and do the same. Both are cheaper and more reliable than an undocumented swap and you'll probably be driving your car this year, versus possibly never when you scrap it in debt and frustration.

Cool car by the way, diesel caddy is stupid enough to be brilliant in my damaged mind.

Apparently no machine shop will look at the head...that's what shop A is telling me at least. Sounds like a load of horseshit to me. I'll see what shop B has to say about that as well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Find a shop that does diesel trucks?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Remains Unseen posted:

Apparently no machine shop will look at the head...that's what shop A is telling me at least. Sounds like a load of horseshit to me. I'll see what shop B has to say about that as well.

Bullshit. Most machine shops will look at cracked heads, and at least tell you if its salvageable.

Someone is lying to you, machine shops don't turn away potential customers on a whim.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A head is a head is a head. There is nothing magical unicorn-fart about it just because you're a filthy derv user. Something's fishy.

SecretCervix
Jun 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you're so set on style and diesel, why don't you check out an 80s Mercedes diesel with the OM617? They're going on 30 years old, so there's gonna be some issues, but those engines are legendary for their reliability. You can probably find one in good shape for less than the cost of at least the Olds engine swap and the MB motor will probably live longer than you.

Remains Unseen
Oct 18, 2004
I finally got some more information about why the shop refuses to try and fix the head gasket. They said that since the block can warp, no machine shop will work on it.

I'm either going to try and proceed with putting the 6.2 in there, or do the Chevy Blazer chassis swap.

The new shop is concerned about the extra weight and height of a 6.2. Thoughts?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Remains Unseen posted:

I finally got some more information about why the shop refuses to try and fix the head gasket. They said that since the block can warp, no machine shop will work on it.

So you were told that the shop won't try to replace the head gasket because it might give them more work that they get paid for?

This isn't hard: you pull the heads and check both them and the block to see if they're straight. If the head aren't, they get sent to the machine shop to see if they can be decked far enough to be flat again within minimum spec. If the block mating surfaces aren't flat they quote you on any of the various way of fixing that, up to and including sending the block to the same machine shop to be decked flat.

Any shop that won't do a partial teardown to determine this either doesn't want your business or is ramrodding the easiest/most profitable jobs that they would prefer to do on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Find another shop.
Find another shop.
Find another shop.
Find another shop.

Find another shop.

• Locked thread