Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I've noticed quite a few people observe flowers, but don't know their names! Let's explore the world of decorative reproductive organs of plants! This is knowledge that betters you as a person, and helps you impress both men and women. Time to gear up and learn out!

These are chrysanthemums, a type of aster, like daisies. They come in many colors.

This is a daisy! Children often draw daisies or mock-daisies as a "default flower". There are many different types of "daisy", but it most commonly refers to Bellis perennis.

These are rhodedendrons. They are a hardy, perennial bush plant. They are known for getting annoyingly sticky. Lazy gardeners love these since they're always lush.

This is an iris. These are popular flowers. These are also perennials, making them a handy choice for a low-effort garden.

These are forget-me-nots, which is a stupid name for a flower but we sort of have to deal with it now. The name refers to a group of plants, some are annual and some are perennial.

Dorks confuse the forget-me-not with the lilley of the valley, another stupidly-named flower pictured above. It might be the only species of its genus, and it is found wild in North America.

Ahhh, the classic rose! It comes in many colors, nearly all colors. It is among the most popular of flowers and is appreciated for its sweet scent.

Along with the aforementioned asters, orchids are the most speciose group of plants. It's almost unfair to include a picture, since there are so many variations.

This is lavender, which can also be used for cooking. It is sometimes used in delicate pastries also.

This is lilac. Only an idiot would confuse lilac for lavender so don't do it.

This is the daffodil, a type of Narcissus.

Here's a Calla lily. They're weird, and not real lilies.

These are lilies.

This hosed up thing is a marigold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

This is ageratum, they have weird color hairs and look sort of like fluffballs.

These are zinnias, which are known for coming in a huge variety of colors and being easy to rear.

These are petunias, a low-growing flower that is often seen in flowerboxes.

Morning glories like to climb. They're too much work so don't plant them.

These are pansies, they featured in Disney's Alice in Wonderland and some other flowers did too I guess.

Pick fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 20, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
noooooooooooooooooooo

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
you can eat all the flowers in the op and not be poisioned

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I like to garden too op. :3:

something9999
Oct 7, 2013

cannabis

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I have a huge rear end bunch of peonies in my yard, OP.
They own. Not blooming yet this year.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

These are geraniums, easy to care for and have a distinctive leaf appearance as well as bloom.

This is a sunflower. You can eat the seeds if you're not a weenus. They're asters too.

Everyone likes snapdragons because you can pinch the sides and make them "bite". A good flower.

Foxglove is great, and you put them on the ends of your fingers like olives.

The "IS" or Joseph Stalin series was a memorable lineage of heavy tank developed in the Soviet Union.

Begonias are stupid, don't plant these.

These are cosmos. They come in many colors and are related to daisies.

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW

Design Spots posted:

you can eat all the flowers in the op and not be poisioned

morning glorey seeds will make you tr*p balls.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Big Beef City posted:

I have a huge rear end bunch of peonies in my yard, OP.
They own. Not blooming yet this year.

These are peonies. I accidentally typed "penies" into GIS and got something even better so these are good flowers too.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
plant vagina (and dick) thread? exactly what id expect from you pick

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
very good thread, thank you

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

op what is this flower

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

this is nightshade, I recommend you use it in your cooking. Especially Atropa belladonna

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

a hole-y ghost posted:

op what is this flower

Thats the carnal fart blossom. Lovely.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

for cpontext they're growing on vines and I think they came from my neighbor's yard but they're nice so I haven't trimmed them back

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
morning glories are a weed where i live
dont have to do poo poo to grow em if they're in the right spot, bastards will spread on their own

something9999
Oct 7, 2013

papaver somniferum

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Post all the flowers that look like a pussy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

a hole-y ghost posted:

op what is this flower

Trumpet vine. They're important for hummingbirds.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

This is freesia, it smells good.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pick posted:

Trumpet vine. They're important for hummingbirds.
yeah. the hummingbirds come around once in a while and are cool
thanx :thumbsup:

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

good thread, my grandma raises orchids and it's ridiculous how much variety there is

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tulips are famous for loving over the Netherlands, but in actuality a lot of the stupidity was on paper and didn't reflect real-life circumstances, since tulip futures were not enforceable.

They are sort of like bitcoins, except a tulip has some inherent value for smelling and looking at.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Seriouspost, wasn't Flowers also used as a way of language and communication in the Victorian era? Never really bothered searching that up, but it always seemed interesting

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
can we get a loving gardening forum already so we can keep this poo poo out of gbs?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Stalins Moustache posted:

Seriouspost, wasn't Flowers also used as a way of language and communication in the Victorian era? Never really bothered searching that up, but it always seemed interesting

Yes and to some degree it persists. It was referred to as floriography.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
this thread turned me gay :thumbsup:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's a Japanese flower language as well.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

These are peonies. I accidentally typed "penies" into GIS and got something even better so these are good flowers too.
Are those the ant bush flowers?

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics

Stalins Moustache posted:

its not

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
flowers are stupid

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

These are bluebells, named because they are blue and bellshaped.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pick posted:

Yes and to some degree it persists. It was referred to as floriography.
so was it an actual code language or an emblem-based thing like x flower means sickness, x flower means marriage, etc.

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster

this flower is 10 meters wide and smells like rotting meat

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Which flowers can I make drugs out of, smartypants?

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
are you interested in anything cool pick?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

The "IS" or Joseph Stalin series was a memorable lineage of heavy tank developed in the Soviet Union.

It's important to note that despite its appearance, it's a Perennial.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
thanks op i'm now a flower expert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
What are the flowers that look like really huge foosballs?

• Locked thread