Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

a hole-y ghost posted:

so was it an actual code language or an emblem-based thing like x flower means sickness, x flower means marriage, etc.

Iirc it's an emblem-based thing, which is where we get ideas like red roses for love, yellow roses for friendship and calla lilies for funerals. Calla lilies and tulips are my favourite. I've got irises, lilacs, bleeding hearts (or scrote-flowers, they balls hang low) bluebells and some of last years brassicas blooming currently. The narcissus and tulips are over. Later on in the season I will have gladiolus, dahlias, freesias an anenomies, a bunch of asteraceae (sunflower, cosmos, echinacea, camomile and callistephus), marigolds and whatever else I've planted that I've forgotten about.

I like flowers :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

Maoist Pussy posted:

Which flowers can I make drugs out of, smartypants?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Maoist Pussy posted:

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

This is saffron, one of the most expensive spices by weight in the world. It is a kind of crocus, and only those orange stamens are used.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Shithouse Dave posted:

This is saffron, one of the most expensive spices by weight in the world. It is a kind of crocus, and only those orange stamens are used.

this thing might seem like a good idea to grow because the spice is worth a lot but it's not that great because you don't get much per plant

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Big Beef City posted:

I have a huge rear end bunch of peonies in my yard, OP.
They own. Not blooming yet this year.
we have three bushes this year, and two of them are crazy huge and have buds the size of golfballs.

i also have a huge lavender bush in the backyard that is just going to kick all sorts of rear end in the growing dept. its already got 50+ flower spikes on it.

was gonna get a lilac start but the store ran out of them and i haven't seen them back in stock. :smith:

my mom also has a white rhododendron that I need to cut back the dead parts on. It's got new growth, so i'm gonna wait until it's done blooming.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Yay flower thread.
Just south of Boston. Wisteria in it's first bloom a few days ago

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Every loving year there are newspaper reports of stupid kids trying to get high in poppy seeds and getting poisoned instead.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

I mean make, like in a lab.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Yes, yes, but tell me something I don't know. Something fresh.

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
dont call marigolds hosed up you bitch

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Maoist Pussy posted:

Yes, yes, but tell me something I don't know. Something fresh.

u can synthesize MAOIs from ragweed to make ayahuasca, or you can make them from a bunch of different passionflowers

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Are those the ant bush flowers?

Only if you've got ants.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Obligatory Toast posted:

we have three bushes this year, and two of them are crazy huge and have buds the size of golfballs.

i also have a huge lavender bush in the backyard that is just going to kick all sorts of rear end in the growing dept. its already got 50+ flower spikes on it.

was gonna get a lilac start but the store ran out of them and i haven't seen them back in stock. :smith:

my mom also has a white rhododendron that I need to cut back the dead parts on. It's got new growth, so i'm gonna wait until it's done blooming.

Sup someone in a 4b-5a climate?
I've got a scrub-rear end-poo poo lavender and lilac struggling to bust out on the same soil that peonies are going gang-busters.

edit: lmao anime-havers.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Pick posted:

The "IS" or Joseph Stalin series was a memorable lineage of heavy tank developed in the Soviet Union.

Does this look like a vagina to anyone else?

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
it's that time of year when oleander is in bloom

it's all over the valley and is also poisonous.

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Desire gets the upper hand over insight and foresight and the results are often needless entanglement.

Small Allamanda (Allamanda schottii) is everywhere in Hong Kong but touching its leaves makes you itch.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Just an FYI, if you've researched how to grow the best weed, you can grow the best tomatoes.
For whatever the reason, they grow exactly the same. So if you're looking to put your grow-op to bed, think twice! It can grow delicious, ridiculously well-formed champion tomatoes with the correct supports.

Maybe you thought you've moved past growing your own ganj, but you can put all that equipment to use and have tasty heirloom tomatoes you can't even find at your local farmers market.

(*hint: tomato farmers use the most ludicrous hydro products imaginable)

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Big Beef City posted:

For whatever the reason, they grow exactly the same.

The reason is they're both plants.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

ghetto wormhole posted:

let me tell you about zones

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Pick posted:

Foxglove is great, and you put them on the ends of your fingers like olives.

Maoist Pussy posted:

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

pretend the quotes are reversed

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

stoutfish posted:

let me tell you about zones

sorry they're both dicots that enjoy full sun and warm temperatures are you happy now

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Fun fact: The word orchid comes from the latin word "orcus" which means testicle, since all orchids have a spherical bulb at the bottom of the stem.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

ghetto wormhole posted:

sorry they're both dicots that enjoy full sun and warm temperatures are you happy now

good

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Fun fact: The word orchid comes from the latin word "orcus" which means testicle, since all orchids have a spherical bulb at the bottom of the stem.

also good

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Edit: it comes from the greek word ὄρχις, which means testicle. My mistake, sry.

Vacation Tenzin
Jan 23, 2005

I'M TOTALLY CALM AND RELAXED.

This is a daylily. Plant it if you are bad with flowers. Do not plant it if you are not bad with flowers because it will clone itself and destroy everything you love.

Also, peonies are just another kind of ant farm, but they are boss and huge and smell amazing so plant them anyway and welcome your ant bros. If you plant them along your whole fenceline, you don't have to see your stupid neighbours or their hideous puggles.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I like triffids.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Luvcow posted:

Yay flower thread.
Just south of Boston. Wisteria in it's first bloom a few days ago

Wisteria is beautiful :allears:.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
crape myrtles are cool too

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Pick posted:

Wisteria is beautiful :allears:.

Randy Fandy
May 21, 2014

by XyloJW
datura is a dastardly witchcraft herb that grows pernennial. and green and purple!!!!

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

420DD Butts posted:

crape myrtles are cool too

i've never seen a crape myrtle get that big :eyepop:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
yeah they can occasionally get pretty big. I saw some large ones when i still lived in Houston

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like this thread. It is pretty and it is educational. Thank you, OP.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i was holding off clicking this thread but then i saw there were replies and i thought hey maybe theres vaginas
nope

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

ghetto wormhole posted:

No, the reason is that they have nearly exactly the same requirements for temperature, soil, light, and nutrients, unlike the thousands of other plants that don't.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

This is a magnolia. Flowers on trees have a different aspect.

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011
I can't believe no-one has mentioned carnations yet

Fun fact: The carnation has it's own revolution named after it, pretty badass for a flower: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnation_Revolution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Pick posted:

This is a magnolia. Flowers on trees have a different aspect.

Smells like wonderful.

• Locked thread