Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

sadnessboner posted:

This flips around from being dull, because I can't help but be intrigued about how a 45hp 3cyl with a slushbox drives :allears:

Well, at 100k miles, it still has a surprising number of ponies and torques. First gear is pretty short, but not as short as manual transmission versions. Cruising up a hill on city streets, it usually wants to use 3rd. If you floor it, it is unsure about dropping to second. Highway cruise speed is at an RPM you would only sustain in a rental car, and you pray no one forces you to slow down going uphill, because that is speed you will not get back even if you turn the air conditioning off (ask me about the time one of the 3 cylinders died in my WagonR). Drives like a go-kart until you add passengers, then you just console yourself with the fact that you are not walking and have AC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Grandpa grey, with the most ill fitting cap.
Sadly, this is the most reliable (knock on wood) vehicle I have owned. Not hard when your other driveway ornament is a lifted Jeep.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

triple clutcher posted:

If cars that I've driven only count, then there's my mom's old DD:

I see at least two of these a day, same color and all. When she traded hers in last year the dealer had four more exactly the same on their lot waiting to be purchased. The 4cyl. engine was gutless, the steering was incredibly vague, and it was obviously hell trying to find in a parking lot ... but it was strangely pleasant to drive, kind of like when toast comes out really nice.

We bought a Mercury Mariner to use a DD along side the BRZ (we also have a St. Bernard and a Pomeranian, we like opposites OK?). Admittedly probably better equipped and a V6, but they are very comfortable and it's perfect for traffic/lazy driving. I don't think I'd consider it the dullest car by any means, as I drove my mom's Dodge Shadow when I first got my license for a bit... K-car or P-car whatever the gently caress they called that platform sucked and were boring as all hell.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Finally, a thread I can participate in!

My wife and I only have one car between us, and neither of us can drive stick. No fun cars for me.

Edit: Mine doesn't have the sunroof. :(

8ender posted:

Got this one in the bag. Vulcan engine too. Its so awful.

This is the car I had before my current one. Same trim level, in silver. I wrapped it around a fence delivering pizzas in the dead of winter on unplowed roads. Insurance gave me like $4k for it.

And then this was the car before that:

(Not my picture)

It wasn't even the supercharged version.

And that's it! That's all the cars I've ever managed to own. :smug::hf::smith:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 22, 2014

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004
I drive a 2003 Chevy Cavalier coupe base model. That's right, the Cavalier that has no features whatsoever, and was only offered for sale to be able to advertise a lower base price. Manual windows, manual locks, manual seats, cloth interior... The worst part is that my father-in-law paid sticker for it as a graduation present for my wife over a decade ago.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bucephalus posted:

cognitive_dissonance.txt

To be fair, it has paddle shifters and a "manu-matic mode."

Mine's an orange 2010. :buddy:

It's fun to drive for what it is and has loads more personality than similarly priced sedans, it's just not a performance machine.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

swenblack posted:

I drive a 2003 Chevy Cavalier coupe base model. That's right, the Cavalier that has no features whatsoever, and was only offered for sale to be able to advertise a lower base price. Manual windows, manual locks, manual seats, cloth interior... The worst part is that my father-in-law paid sticker for it as a graduation present for my wife over a decade ago.

That must be pretty rare now; most owners I know managed to roll their Cavaliers by now.

Lorthdon
Feb 20, 2006

swenblack posted:

I used to have a 2002 base model. Same car but with 30 less horesepower and even more bland styling. It was kind of strange. It had manual everything yet it had ABS and traction control standard. Not a redeeming thing about it and I traded it in with only 54K miles on it.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Lorthdon posted:

I used to have a 2002 base model. Same car but with 30 less horesepower and even more bland styling. It was kind of strange. It had manual everything yet it had ABS and traction control standard. Not a redeeming thing about it and I traded it in with only 54K miles on it.
It's hard to imagine a worse engineered car. The doors are massively long, you can't work the stereo or Heat/AC with a drink in the drink holder, and it only gets 20 mpg on the highway. These are all easy things to get right, and had to have been noticed during testing, but GM went ahead anyways. It only has 65k miles on it. Anyone want to buy it?

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Time to lower the bar:

My 2009 Hyundai Accent P-spec poverty Purchased new in Nov. '08 for $11,000 delivered. Options are floormats, a/c, radio, rear window defogger and that's it. A more literal take on "virtually no options!". It is the most boring color and rolls steelies because one of the hubcaps broke and a new one was $125. Great little car though, just clocked 92k miles.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If it has a manual trans that's actually a cool little car and not dull at all.

To be dull the car has got to have a slushbox, my Camry would be not dull if it had a manual.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

leica posted:

To be dull the car has got to have a slushbox, my Camry would be not dull if it had a manual.

Yeah it would, my flatmate has a 1996 4 cylinder wagon with the manual and it's still as dull as anything.

Aside from the one redeeming feature of :krad: dual rear wipers of course

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not to me it wouldn't. It would at least make driving a little more engaging instead of feeling totally detached.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Yeah, it's manual trans thank goodness. I can't drive an automatic without self-induced whiplash from trying to hit the clutch.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
2000 Honda Civic LX. I just sold mine very recently (the one picture isn't mine, but the exact same model and colour).

Beige coloured. With beige trim. Beige interior. With beige upholstery. Beige. Everything was beige. I got excited when it started rusting because it was a new shade of brown that really tied together the entire vehicle's aesthetic appeal.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

dubzee posted:

Time to lower the bar:

My 2009 Hyundai Accent P-spec poverty Purchased new in Nov. '08 for $11,000 delivered. Options are floormats, a/c, radio, rear window defogger and that's it. A more literal take on "virtually no options!". It is the most boring color and rolls steelies because one of the hubcaps broke and a new one was $125. Great little car though, just clocked 92k miles.

I have to question if those are really options; it might be an authentic no-option model. It's been a long time since I've seen a vehicle without even a radio; my dad picked up a Chevy C-1500 Cheyenne back in the 90s for cheap because it was ordered as a stripper and the guy never picked it up. It had an AM radio and possibly two speakers. Rubber floors, vinyl seats, 6 cylinder 5MT, no AC, manual everything (everything worth having was added later, A/C, cassette deck, rear speakers, even a sunroof!). It was so light that he had to carry 500 pounds of sand in the winter, but it got insane mileage. The last car I remember distinctly as having no radio was in the inventory of an organization whose fleet I used to manage. It was a ...1982, perhaps, Dodge B350 RamWagon originally ordered by the government. I remember this very distinctly because I drove it to meet its final reward with only the sound of a 727 TorqueFlight singing its death song to keep me company. Whirred like an electric drill.

fake edit: I saw a Smart with no radio. But I don't consider that a proper car. It's a novelty product.

I sold Fords seven years ago, and even the $9,999 special Focus without even air conditioning had a radio. That particular car was an example of a car made or broken by its transmission choice. The manual was an engaging little thing to drive, the automatic, however, felt so much slower. You'd swear Ford didn't learn a drat thing about autos since the C4... The strange thing is, on the used lot we had a Toyota like the ones in this thread, and a Lincoln Town Car a year newer and with lower mileage, yet selling for the same price. More people asked to see that drat Toyota even though I told them flat-out that the Town Car was a better buy; it's much more car and the platform is known for its long service life. I'll never understand some people.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Red_October_7000 posted:

I have to question if those are really options; it might be an authentic no-option model.

That stuff came with the "popular equipment package" which was the only way to get a/c. There were several completely stripped models on the lot at the time, no radio at all. Gotta have that a/c tho... and the radio is surprisingly not poo poo, six poly cones, aux in, was going to replace it but never saw any reason.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Red_October_7000 posted:

The strange thing is, on the used lot we had a Toyota like the ones in this thread, and a Lincoln Town Car a year newer and with lower mileage, yet selling for the same price. More people asked to see that drat Toyota even though I told them flat-out that the Town Car was a better buy; it's much more car and the platform is known for its long service life. I'll never understand some people.

Well for one thing Panthers have lovely fuel economy, I owned one for years and in the city it was horrible. I'm glad to have a 4cyl Camry that has much better mileage and can do pretty much anything my Crown Vic did.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You know, people hate on the vulcan v6 and say things like 'eight cylinder mileage, four cylinder performance' but I don't think the mpg really impacts cost of ownership that much. The Taurus is cheap to buy and thus cheap to insure and the parts are common and inexpensive. I've got about 140k on mine and never had to do more than wear items.

At least I tell myself all these things to keep from biting the bullet on a base model mustang. Or a niceish Honda Fit. Or anything else.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Red_October_7000 posted:

I have to question if those are really options; it might be an authentic no-option model. It's been a long time since I've seen a vehicle without even a radio; my dad picked up a Chevy C-1500 Cheyenne back in the 90s for cheap because it was ordered as a stripper and the guy never picked it up. It had an AM radio and possibly two speakers. Rubber floors, vinyl seats, 6 cylinder 5MT, no AC, manual everything (everything worth having was added later, A/C, cassette deck, rear speakers, even a sunroof!). It was so light that he had to carry 500 pounds of sand in the winter, but it got insane mileage. The last car I remember distinctly as having no radio was in the inventory of an organization whose fleet I used to manage. It was a ...1982, perhaps, Dodge B350 RamWagon originally ordered by the government. I remember this very distinctly because I drove it to meet its final reward with only the sound of a 727 TorqueFlight singing its death song to keep me company. Whirred like an electric drill.

fake edit: I saw a Smart with no radio. But I don't consider that a proper car. It's a novelty product.

I sold Fords seven years ago, and even the $9,999 special Focus without even air conditioning had a radio. That particular car was an example of a car made or broken by its transmission choice. The manual was an engaging little thing to drive, the automatic, however, felt so much slower. You'd swear Ford didn't learn a drat thing about autos since the C4... The strange thing is, on the used lot we had a Toyota like the ones in this thread, and a Lincoln Town Car a year newer and with lower mileage, yet selling for the same price. More people asked to see that drat Toyota even though I told them flat-out that the Town Car was a better buy; it's much more car and the platform is known for its long service life. I'll never understand some people.

You could still get manual everything, 2WD, no-AC, AM/FM-radio-only Toyota Tacomas at least as recently as 2004, since the dealership I worked at during that year had a few.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

jammyozzy posted:

[...]If I send my boyfriend into shops on his own he regularly has to search for me when he comes out, because this thing just loving disappears into the background in a busy car park.

That is a feature you should appreciate and treasure forever. Being able to blend in and disappear is nice. It's like a cop anti-magnet.

No one takes any special notice of a inoffensively-colored family sedan or wagon. I've done tires-screeching left turns across intersections right in front of cop cars and NOTHING happened.

It's got a reasonably peppy engine for what it is, a 5-speed and much better handling than any family car has a right to. But it doesn't look like it, and that's the greatest thing about it.

E: Do dull-looking, but otherwise pretty good cars count? Or are only total snoozefests allowed?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 29, 2014

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

2001 Daihatsu Mira
660cc, 3-Speed Automatic

What up Mira buddy. :smith::hf::smith:

I have the next generation after that one, and I really doubt it's much better. I got it from work and it's the near soviet base model that doesn't even have a stereo or hubcaps. I'm just kinda happy to have a car again after my Legacy went bye bye so long ago.

Edit: It apparently does have 15 more horsepower though, thanks to the highly modern technology of DOHC.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 29, 2014

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Nissan Legacy or Subaru? I came to this from a manual Subaru Legacy B4.

Speaking of Soviets: I'd rather be driving a Trabant.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

KillHour posted:

(Not my picture)

It wasn't even the supercharged version.

You lucky bastard. I junked a rather exciting but troublesome Volvo 760 Turbo and bought the automotive equivalent of Grape Nuts:

(stock pic)

Handles like a boat, rides like a boat, has the turning radius of a Maersk Triple-E Class vessel and it exhibits electrical gremlins every blue moon. Interior's spacious, but ultimately bland and unrewarding. The only saving grace is the 3800, which will live on long after this car's been reduced to a pile of steel and brittle ABS plastic. Fuel economy ranges from "surprisingly good" (30 mpg) to "is there a fuel leak somewhere?" (17 mpg).

But at least it ain't a Vulcan-powered Taurus.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

You know, people hate on the vulcan v6 and say things like 'eight cylinder mileage, four cylinder performance' but I don't think the mpg really impacts cost of ownership that much. The Taurus is cheap to buy and thus cheap to insure and the parts are common and inexpensive. I've got about 140k on mine and never had to do more than wear items.

The nice thing about Vulcan cars is that they're insanely easy to work on (a helluva lot better than duratecs or SHO's), and for the most part you don't have to worry too much about the internals or transmission if you keep up with fluids. I've seen several with an easy 200,000-250,000 miles. The rest of those cars tend to fall apart pretty quickly though -especially here in the rust belt. Cancer pretty much killed my 98 SHO. :(

Edit: My friend did manage to kill his dads 2000 Vulcan Taurus when we were in high school after about 100 neutral drops. He did criminal things to that car including:
1. Said neutral drops.
2. Shifting into reverse on the interstate.
3. Denting the door skin by leaning into it.
4. Blowing 3 out of 4 speakers.
5. Running into a 2 foot tall rock and bending a tie-rod.
6. Eventually hydro-locking it going through a flooded street.

I don't know how he didn't kill us both in those days.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 30, 2014

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I drive a 2001 Honda Civic 4-door EX. It is silver, with a grey cloth interior. It has the factory stereo, and steel wheels with hubcaps.

I have lost it in parking lots, and when other people with similar Civics park next to it, I am prone to trying to unlock their cars first because it is boring to look at.

Though, it does have a 5-speed so that probably means I cannot carry the crown of 'dullest car'.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Don't the Vulcan Tauri have the glass auto from hell though?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Elviscat posted:

By 2000 they weren't so bad, especially behind the low-power Vulcan.

E: no one ever changes the trans fluid on those cars though, so a lot grenaded. I forget when Ford started putting the AX4N in Vulcan cars, but it was supposedly much improved over earlier Taurus automatics.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 30, 2014

Glorks!
May 4, 2005
Too lazy to browse my hard drive for good avatars since 2007.
How's a 2004 LeSabre for boring? It's so uninteresting I swea...

8ender posted:

Got this one in the bag. Vulcan engine too. Its so awful.

...nevermind. You poor son of a bitch.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

How dare you insult my precious THREE LITERS OF VULCAN FURY

Elviscat posted:

Sure did, it had the wonderfully not-dull habit of freewheeling and then suddenly slamming the power down and chirping the tires when I would get back onto the throttle after lifting for a spirited turn. Mine was on at least its second transmission by the time I got it.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 30, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I drove the Chevy equivalent for a year, a 1996 Lumina base model (and former rental car to boot). It was like driving a couch without any of the comfort because the back of the seat sat at a permanent gangsta-lean. No power-steering because I didn't like the car enough to buy a new high-pressure hose. Or do anything short of absolutely necessary maintenance (brakes and a PCV hose). I put over 33,000 miles on that bastard in less than 9 months and didn't do a single oil change. It was already on it's second transmission when I got it at 115,000 miles, and by the time the car died in my friend's backyard (like all 3100 powered vehicles, it was killed by failed intake gaskets and general apathy) with 145k that one was on its way out as well.

It was an incredibly boring car by nature but because I gave zero fucks about it I drove it like it was a race car all the time and actually had a huge amount of fun in it, so I'm not even sure it belongs in this thread.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 30, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Dr.Smasher posted:

I drive a 2001 Honda Civic 4-door EX. It is silver, with a grey cloth interior. It has the factory stereo, and steel wheels with hubcaps.

I have lost it in parking lots, and when other people with similar Civics park next to it, I am prone to trying to unlock their cars first because it is boring to look at.

Though, it does have a 5-speed so that probably means I cannot carry the crown of 'dullest car'.

I beat you because I had the exact same car, but with an automatic. It wasn't even particularly hondalike, as the headliner was peeling down in the back, the drivers' side window regulator barely worked when it was cold out, and the 12v accessory port shorted out somewhere behind the dash and so I could no longer plug my iPod/phone in to charge. So many little gremlins and things failing in the interior, and it had less than 120k; it was crumbling apart like a Cavalier or something.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

HotCanadianChick posted:

I beat you because I had the exact same car, but with an automatic. It wasn't even particularly hondalike, as the headliner was peeling down in the back, the drivers' side window regulator barely worked when it was cold out, and the 12v accessory port shorted out somewhere behind the dash and so I could no longer plug my iPod/phone in to charge. So many little gremlins and things failing in the interior, and it had less than 120k; it was crumbling apart like a Cavalier or something.

Are we playing Car Game here? I have a silver 1998 Accord EX sedan with grayish-beige interior and automatic. I actually really like it, it's been reliable and efficient in the three years I've had it. It does have alloys that are corroded as hell from its first ten years in Virginia but otherwise has zero rust. Also has the "urban camo" paint that's falling off like all Hondas of this era do. Don't care, driving it til it dies (184k now, so probably when I'm like 60.) Oddly, this car kind of stands out where I live, it's all <5-year-old European sedans and/or giant domestic SUVs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Everyday Lurker posted:

You lucky bastard. I junked a rather exciting but troublesome Volvo 760 Turbo and bought the automotive equivalent of Grape Nuts:

(stock pic)

Handles like a boat, rides like a boat, has the turning radius of a Maersk Triple-E Class vessel and it exhibits electrical gremlins every blue moon. Interior's spacious, but ultimately bland and unrewarding. The only saving grace is the 3800, which will live on long after this car's been reduced to a pile of steel and brittle ABS plastic. Fuel economy ranges from "surprisingly good" (30 mpg) to "is there a fuel leak somewhere?" (17 mpg).

But at least it ain't a Vulcan-powered Taurus.

I will admit, the 3800 was nice. Going from that to the Vulcan after the transmission grenaded itself was :smithicide:

(By grenaded, I mean it suddenly ripped a 2 inch tear in the housing and started spewing ATF like a sliced jugular.)

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 30, 2014

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

2007 Yaris Hatchback here, manual transmission, no options except an aux jack.

Still going strong, but boy is it dull. The manual keeps it from being a proper snooze fest though.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

I have a twofer:

2006 Honda Accord (Acura TSX in the states) - Plain 2.0 Engine (is VTEC exciting?), Base Specification

2010 Toyota Yaris (Stock photo)

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Nissan Legacy or Subaru? I came to this from a manual Subaru Legacy B4.

Speaking of Soviets: I'd rather be driving a Trabant.

That's a hell of a coincidence, I also drove a Subaru Legacy B4, automatic though.

I got an even duller car today though while the Mira is in the shop for squawking belts (works paying for it) I'm now driving a late 90s Mitsubishi Minica though the interior is so utilitarian you could have easily fooled me into believing it was early 90s or even late 80s. It has front-lit dials for crying out loud.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

I drove this from 2005ish till 2010 when it mysteriously died (again) and I got rid of it. I got it as a graduation present, which I was very thankful for, but it was the biggest piece of crap i've ever been around. Every week something new broke.

I then "upgraded" to a 2000 GTP and now to my 08 3.

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
How about a Datsun Stanza in "beige"?

I bought it due to the dullness, I thought it was charming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ADINSX posted:

2007 Yaris Hatchback here, manual transmission, no options except an aux jack

The fact that there's no turbo'd yaris like the 4EFTE starlet from the 90s is something that makes me sad every day. The stock 1NZ-FE can only handle like 7 psi which is dumb. Curious what dumb swaps people will manage when the Yaris reaches maximum depreciation (2ZZ-GE?).

Well there's this thing but there's only 200 of them and only for Japan.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 30, 2014

• Locked thread