Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sion continues his inspection, looking more closely at the alcove that the troll statue is in, and he spots the end of a narrow iron pipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Sion [Info/Quicklook]
HP: 28/29 (2HD) | AC: 16 | Arrows: 20 | Ki: 2(2) | Casts: 1st 3(3)

Sion climbs a bit on the statue, trying to get a better idea of what such a thing is doing here. "This alcove has some pipes in it, but they're really hard to see. Does the other one have any?"

He takes time to ponder the situation. What would be the purpose for this? When he leans back and looks at the lever between the two alcoves, a thought occurs. "This lever must interact with these pipes.. It's only a hunch, but given how narrow they appear, I doubt they're intended to carry water or some kinda liquid. More like air, or gas.."

His thoughts link into another, prompting him to sit cross-legged in front of the troll statue and draw on one of his old Elven-translated Monk books. Flipping pages back and forth, he settles on a particular entry. "I'm certain what we faced back there was a Medusa. When I looked at her, I felt as though my body was being frozen. This journal entry confirms such a creature's power. Upon finding this room, I had a thought; she had used this room to create these statues from living beings. But, given our experience, she already has that power. So what if we look at this in reverse? Could this lever emit a gas that reverses the effects?"

He shares a look with the group from his spot on the ground, before realizing what his words may have suggested. "N-Not that I would want anything in here to come back to life! It's just, with the way the trolls are positioned, and so life-like.." He sort of trails off, a bit embarrassed that his imagination could have run away with him and unsure of what the others think of his train of thought.

I should mention this is more fluff/hypothesis talk. I don't know what's up with this room.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 25, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Ghepard [Level 4]

"Does the pipe end point out into the room? If so it's probably just some poison-dart trap.

...Anyone feel like conducting an experiment?"

Also perhaps our dwarf paladin could tell us more about some of this stuff with his Stonecunning..?

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

Zaffre
HP: 34/34 | AC: 13 | HD: 4/4 | Level 1 Slots: 3/4 | Level 2 Slots: 2/2 | DC: 14 | Sorcery Points: 4/4 | Hellish Rebuke: 1/1
Resist: Fire

Zaffre's eyes widen. That's a lot of potential gold sitting in one place. "Guys... there's about 400 gold worth of statuettes in here," he breathes. "Think we should... appropriate some of this?"

At Ghepard's suggestion, Zaffre waggles a hand and uses a Mage Hand to pick up one of the broken, valueless statuettes. "Move back, Sion," he cautions. The invisible hand floats the statuette over in front of the pipe's end, moving in increasingly wide spirals in front of the troll statue in an attempt to spring this theoretical poison dart trap.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Sion [Info/Quicklook]

Sion nods to Zaffre, affirming he should bag up the valuable goods. No purpose leaving them here on display for no one.

"If that's the case, then why block the pipes in the alcoves with the troll statues? Then there's this lever, situated between the two alcoves, where I see no gates or portcullis in sight. Even if one used this lever and activated the trap, how would darts hit the user standing between the alcoves?"

Closing his book and standing away while Zaffre mage hands the statue, "We can test my theory, if we want to pursue this further. I strongly suggest we move these troll statues though, for if my hypothesis is correct, they will come back to life and be very angry. Or hungry."

If the statues are too heavy, can we break the troll statues down and move them piece by piece out of their alcoves?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Ambergul Estate

Zaffre floats some statuettes around in front of the pipe, to no effect. Sion checks the statues of the trolls, and finds they are rather heavy and hard to move. Even as a group they probably couldn't really move them. That said with enough time and energy they could probably be broken down into smaller more manageable pieces to be removed from the alcove.

Man you haven't read this adventure have you?

Map

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Sion [Info/Quicklook]

Desire to prove the lessons in the ruined temple were well taught to him, Sion strikes down both Troll statues, kicking and pushing the chunks far away from the alcoves - a process that would be much quicker with help!

When this is done, Sion moves towards the lever. "We need a statue to test this on. Something from the tables there, preferably something harmless. Like a rat, perhaps."

When someone places such a statue in one of the alcoves, Sion pulls the lever and steps back to see the results.

Full disclosure: One Who Has Played This Before And Shall Not Be Named made a passive comment about unstatuing allies a long time ago in one of the earlier 5e threads. :blush: I don't know how or by what method such is done, but given the circumstances of this strange room it triggered a light bulb in my gamer brain. I mean the statues are placed in front of narrow pipes. A LOT is weird in this adventure/dungeon but the statues being that way is just too blunt! Even if I'm wrong about the reverse statueing it's gonna produce something that somehow interacts with the statues in some way and knowing this adventure so far it will suck a ton if we let it go down because that's something this adventure would love to gently caress us over with. Beating up the statues is just a desperate idea. I didn't think it'd really let us (it's rare to be able to damage something that cannot also be lifted or moved somehow).

In short it's the Illuminati and you're the ring leader.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

Zaffre
HP: 34/34 | AC: 13 | HD: 4/4 | Level 1 Slots: 3/4 | Level 2 Slots: 2/2 | DC: 14 | Sorcery Points: 4/4 | Hellish Rebuke: 1/1

Zaffre aids Sion by freezing the statues with some Rays of Frost, making them more brittle and easier to crack open. Once that's done, he uses his Mage Hand to hover a small statue of a rat over to the alcove as per Sion's direction. He takes a moment to inspect the pipes, the alcove and the levers to see if there are any arcane symbols or traces on or around them. One never knows. All the dust from the shattered statues isn't helping matters, though.

Looking for weird magic stuff (Arcana): 1d20+3 8

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Ambergul Estate

Nothing happens. Well Sion might hear a slight hissing but nothing seems to be happening.

Map

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Sion [Info/Quicklook]

Dejectedly, Sion slumps. "This is embarrassing. I really thought I was onto something." He flips the lever and tries to note if the sound stops. Not that there is anything to do about it now, his theory did not hold.

Trying to move pass the failure, he comes to the sphinx's head. "Another well sculpted statue."

Map roll, Perception if viable: 19+3+3=25

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Ambergul Estate

The sphinx statues is made of sandstone and is carved in the likeness of a gynosphinx and is life-sized. It appears quite solid, and if anything heavier than the troll statues.

Map

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Sion [Info/Quicklook]

He sighs. "I think we've done what we can. It'd be best to backtrack and explore elsewhere, our foe is not here."

Same marching order as before, Barnabus > Sion > Zaffre > Ghepard > Anduil. I'd like to use the teleporter to move to that second area we didn't explore yet, using anduil to work the things again.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Ambergul Estate

Finding their progress halted the group heads back to the teleporting mist alcove. Once inside Anduil tries one of the runes that he has not yet tried. He places his hand on the Blue Circle. And then a wave of cold energy erupts and washes over everyone in the alcove.

"Ouch" Anduil turns to the rest of you, "uh I think that was a malfunction, might be that the rune doesn't go anywhere anymore or something."

He then turns back to the runes and touches the final rune, the Red Triangle. And the group teleports again.

Exiting the alcove of mist a reinforced wooden portcullis with iron spikes sunk into the floor seals the south end of this 20-foot-wide, 60-foot-long tunnel. At the opposite end of the hall stands a lifelike, painted statue of a huge red dragon, poised as though ready to breathe fire. Nested in an alcove along the west wall is a 6-foot-tall, beautifully sculpted alabaster urn.

Also set into the west wall, between the statue and the urn, is a stone archway with a cloud of red mist swirling beyond that you just exited.

Everyone took 10 cold damage from the malfunctioning rune.

Map

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Sion [Info/Quicklook]
HP: 25/29 (2HD) | AC: 16 | Arrows: 20 | Ki: 2(2) | Casts: 1st 3(3)

Shivering from the cold spell, "Or s-something." he remarks.

When the group exists into the dragon-statue hallway, Sion falls into a cross-legged sit. "That spell did a number on me, could use a few minutes." Deep breaths soon have him in a meditative state.

Looking for a Short Rest to spend some HD.
HD roll: 1#1d8+1 7

Falling back out, he stands on his feet looking and feeling much better. As the others recover, "Well then, more to explore."

While the statue is interesting, the Urn catches his attention first. He examines around the Urn as well as inside for anything unusual.

Perception: 1#1d20+3+1d4 12

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Ambergul Estate

After the group rests for awhile Sion gets up and investigates the urn, it is big and made of alabaster, and quite heavy. He estimates that it weighs about 500 pounds. He also estimates that it is probably worth about 1000 gold pieces, at least as an intact art piece. The lid, when he goes to lift it to look inside, weighs about 25 lbs. Of course as he lifts the lid he just barely notices the urn lifting ever so slightly.

And then an alarm bell sounds, and two flesh golems emerge from the red mists.

Anduil freaks out backing away and firing a blast of red and black eldritch energy at one of the golems. "Gah more fleshcrafted golems. What is wrong with these people!?"

So yeah if anyone else wants to take advantage of the short rest to spend hit dice or something retroactively feel free.

Initiative
20 Ghepard :rolldice:
19 Anduil
17 Sion :rolldice:
12 Flesh Golems
08 Zaffre

Map

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 29, 2014

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Sion [Info/Quicklook]
HP: 25/29 (2HD) | AC: 16 | Arrows: 20 | Ki: 1(2) | Casts: 1st 3(3)

A near panic overwhelms his thoughts as the pair of flesh golems step out from the mist they had just emerged from. "Not again.."

Spinning his staff, he musters his courage and charges at the Golems, landing an expert blow directly on the nearest creature. He then pulls his staff close and assume a defensive posture.

Ryuujin map rolls! Crit, 14 damage, Ki to dodge bonus action.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ghepard [Level 4]
HP: 2820/28 | AC: 15 | Arrows: 2928/40 | HD: 3/3d8, 10/1d10

Rolled a HD in Roll20 = 2
28 HP - 10 damage + 2 HD = 20 HP

Ghepard draws an arrow to the Oathbow and fires at the Golem beside Sion, then scampers away behind Zaffre.

Actually wanna be like, diagonal-adjacent to the SE of Zaffre, but Roll20 won't let me drop there. Eh.

Roll20 rolls
Attack: 1d20+8 = natural 1 :flaccid:
Damage: 1d8+4+2d6 = 17

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Ambergul Estate

One golem easily smacks the flipping flapping holy man out of the air, despite how acrobatic Sion was he is easily crushed to the floor. The other golem moves up to Anduil, but completely fails to do the same to him.

So 22, rerolled into 19 because of disadvantage, and 19 rerolled into 22 because of disadvantage. Both hit Sion and the combined damage is just over Sion's total hp. So he is down. The other golem somehow totally misses Anduil twice despite not having disadvantage. Seriously.

Initiative
19 Anduil :rolldice:
17 Sion :rolldice: unconscious 0/3 deathsaves
12 Flesh Golems
10 Barnabus :rolldice:
08 Zaffre :rolldice:

Map

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Sion [Info/Quicklook]
HP: 0/29 (2HD) | AC: 16 | Arrows: 20 | Ki: 1(2) | Casts: 1st 3(3)

Death save: 6 in bling map, failed.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

Zaffre
HP: 24/34 | AC: 13 | HD: 4/4 | Level 1 Slots: 3/4 | Level 2 Slots: 1/2 | DC: 14 | Sorcery Points: 4/4 | Hellish Rebuke: 1/1

Zaffre hisses as the flesh golems emerge into the hallway and starts moving swiftly backwards, gathering power for a spell as he goes. His eyes flash red, and smoke rises from his hands even as Sion is felled. "drat!" he curses, taking another step back and raising his hands. "I'll try to keep the golem's attention-- somebody get Sion out of there!"

One after another, three beams of pure fire lance from Zaffre's hands, targeting the golem towering over the monk's body.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Ambergul Estate

The golem cowers as the fire races across its form and Barnabus moves up and smacks it a good one with the magic mace. And Anduil fires at the farther, rather injured, golem to avoid trying to shoot something right in front of him.

Going to roll for Barnabus because who knows when he will return.

Initiative
19 Anduil
17 Sion unconscious 0/3 deathsaves
12 Flesh Golems
10 Barnabus
08 Zaffre

Map

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 3, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ghepard [Level 4]
HP: 20/28 | AC: 15 | Arrows: 2827/40 | HD: 3/3d8, 0/1d10

Backing away a few steps, Ghepard takes aim at the least injured-looking golem (I assume that's the one by Anduil?), hoping to take it out with a precise shot from his bow, leaving the weaker one to his allies.

#Roll20
Oathbow: attack 1d20+8 = 18, damage 1d8+4+2d6 = 14

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Ambergul Estate

Ghepard fires an arrow into the more intact golem, the arrow embeds into its fleshy construction but does not seem to slow it down much.

The other golem tries to slam Barnabus, and fails, while the one with an arrow sticking out of it goes berserk and starts slamming anything that moves. It smacks Barnabus twice until the dwarf is left wheezing and unconscious on the floor.

Anduil tries to blast the nearby golem, but it is quite too close for comfort and his shot goes wide.

That is not what I was expecting you to do, since you literally could not kill it in one shot. Even with a max damage crit.

drat disadvantage.

Initiative
19 Anduil
17 Sion :rolldice: unconscious 0/3 successful death saves, 1/3 failed death saves
12 Flesh Golems
10 Barnabus unconscious 1/3 successful death saves, 0/3 failed death saves
08 Zaffre :rolldice:

Map

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 3, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ghepard [Level 4]
HP: 20/28 | AC: 15 | Arrows: 2827/40 | HD: 3/3d8, 0/1d10

Drawing his blades, Ghepard shivs the wounded golem with his dagger while stabbing the other with his shortsword.

I did the math on this so hopefully it pays off...
#Roll20
Shortsword: 1d20+5 = 15, 1d6+3 = 4
Dagger: 1d20+5 = 14, 1d4 = 1
Sneak Attack: 2d6 = 3

NOTHING HAPPENS CUZ THEY'RE IMMUNE LOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay yeah I think I am going to have to call it.

I keep losing players, or having players take forever to do anything, and at this point I think this is heading toward a TPK.

As you cannot quickly get out, except going through the mist alcove again. One golem is nearly dead but requires magic weapons or spells to kill, and is immune to a bunch of elements and has advantage on saves vs spells. And the other golem has a ton of hp still left and just went berserk so does extra damage.

Couple all that with two characters being down and likely another falling each turn and it just seems like you are doomed.

Still not sure how they expected anyone to survive this with a single magic weapon.

But stay tooned for when I open a new recruit using a more recent adventure that I heard was pretty good.

• Locked thread