Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Cromm's Hold

The wounded man holds up a hand. "I am not the sergeant. I am Captain Falke. Sergeant Durenn is in the manor." He looks Sion over. "You think you can help him?" Assuming Sion indicates affirmative the Captain will show him to the poisoned man.

Meanwhile Sir Isteval introduces you all to Baroness Wynne, at least those of you he knows or who introduced themselves to him.

Should Sion follow the Captain he will be led to a room where a feverish man is resting, and nearby a few more injured soldiers lie upon cots. Sion's investigation reveals that Sergeant Durenn was injured by a poisoned dart. And while mundane means can slow the spread it would take magical healing to actually cleanse the poison.

Grundle keeps a look out but no one is acting all that suspicious, the guards may seem a bit nervous but that is likely because of the attack.

Meanwhile Baroness Wynne begins recounting the events that happened.

The general thrust of what she tells you is that a huge black dragon flew in form the Lizard Marsh and landed in the bailey. It called itself Thoss Fyurnen, the Sun Swallower, Chosen of Talona. She tells you that she knew the Lizard Marsh is a favorite haunt for black dragons, but that she had never heard of a black dragon so bold or with so many aggrandizing titles.

She tells you that after dispatching a servant to Daggerford, she parleyed with the "reptile." It demanded tribute, which she provided on the condition that it leave in peace. The dragon agreed.

The she angrily reports that it misled her, for shortly after it departed a large force of diseased lizardfolk attacked the keep from the weest. The lizardfolk tried to scale the outer wall, but her soldiers prevented the creatures from getting inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Ghepard

"So I take it the bodies we saw on the way in were killed by Lizardfolk? Why haven't they been given a burial yet? And what makes you so sure they were acting in concert with this black dragon?"

Insighting the gently caress out of any response I get, GM can roll it.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Sion

"Forgive my haste. Poisons are persistent, but I have dealt with a few in my time. Please lead the way."

The sergeant's condition becomes most obvious at a glance. Despite a handful of prepared remedies, the poison shows no signs of stopping.

I don't see a specific cure poison/disease spell, only detect and protection. Not sure what other options there are but If I'm allowed, I'd like to convert one of my Cure Wounds to act as a cure poison.

Muttering scripture of good health and well being, Sion removes his gloves. Slowly his hands glow a faint blue, much to his relief - he's never been certain how this divine power really worked or even came to be, but its uses cannot be denied. Slowly the energy moves from his hands to the sergeant, repairing visibly damaged flesh. But what of the poison inside?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
It specifically mentions any magical healing will work.

Cromm's Hold

The sergeant's wound quickly closes, and his fever breaks, within a few minutes he is up on his feet like nothing had happened. He thanks Sion deeply then, after looking at his fellow injured soldiers briefly, heads out toward the location of everyone else.

Meanwhile the Baroness is responding to Ghepard's questions. "We have been busy with other things, such as taking care of our wounded, we will be having a funerary service in a short while if you and yours wish to attend. As for the lizardfolk working for a dragon? It seems like the kind of thing lizardfolk would worship, they both came from the Marsh, and the attack happened shortly after the dragon's departure and that is rather suspicious."

Ghepard believes her, or at least believes that she is telling the truth about why she thinks they were sent by the dragon.

As Sergeant Durnen approaches, and salutes Captain Falke and Baroness Wynne, the Baroness turns to him. "Ah Sergeant good to see you back on your feet. Take some of the men and drag the disease-ridden corpses of the lizardfolk to the edge of the swamp, decapitate their corpses, and mount the severed heads on spears as a warning."

Sergeant Durenn selects a few men and heads out to do just that.

And here is Ghepard's Insight Roll 1d20+3+1+5 29

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ghepard

"Well, the Lizardfolk executed an attack; that much we can determine. What, if any, involvement the dragon had is purely speculative at this point. If my opinion is worth anything to you, I recommend keeping the diplomatic option open until it can be proven; no sense having to fight a tribe of Lizardfolk AND a dragon, if it can be helped. When and where will the services be held? I would like to attend if the situation permits, and I imagine our cleric would as well, if no one else."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Cromm's Hold

The Baroness indicates a field to the east of Cromm's Hold. "We have a small place where we bury our dead in the field to the east of here, we will have the services once Sergeant Durenn finishes his task."

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Barnabus

Seeing the priest go to attend to the poisoned soldier, Barnabus stood behind Sir Isteval, listening to the baroness recount the events of the attack. When she got to the dragon, he rolled his eyes as she listed off his titles. Any other creature would not have waited to announce itself before attacking, but dragons were known to be overly-proud. What did surprise Barnabus, however, was the fact that the dragon sent his lackeys to attack after Wynne paid the tribute. Dragons were known to love fear as much as gold, but those dragons tended to have crimson scales, and this Sun Swallower would only be red when this dwarf was done with it.

Barnabus politely nods when the disposal of both friendly and foe corpses are mentioned, but declines to attend either. Instead, he turns to Isteval and asks, "Well, what's the next course of action, milord? A dragon might be too much for our merry band, but perhaps we can investigate the lands nearby for these lizardlings? If nothing else, a counter strike might be enough to show them we aren't to be messed with."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Cromm's Hold

Sir Isteval seems thoughtful, but he responds to Barnabus's question. "For now we will stay here for the night, and possibly until we are sure the dragon will not be attacking again."

He turns to the Baroness and asks her, "Baroness Wynne I am wondering just what was taken as tribute?"

She responds, "“An altar. A half-forgotten relic left behind by my ancestors. It was made of blue coral, with sides that looked like crashing waves. It’s been locked away in the dungeons of this castle for years. I’m not sure how the dragon knew of it. It seemed a fair price to pay for my soldiers’ lives.”

After some time Sergeant Durenn and his men return from their grim task. Then the guards, Baroness Wynne, Sir Isteval, and any of you that wish to make your way to the field in the east while the fallen guards are carefully transported.

The service is fairly short and perfunctory, with a small service as Baroness Wynne speaks over the graves. Then everyone returns to Cromm's Hold. There Baroness Wynne provides you with food, drink, a warm fire, and simple cots to sleep upon.

Let me know if you want to do anything before the next day.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ghepard

Ghepard sits around the fire with his compatriots, staring intently at the flames. He then blinks a few times and looks to the halfling, asking, "hey, there was this song a friend of mine used to play, perhaps you know it? It starts kinda like this:"

pre:
Warm yourself by the fire, son
And the morning will come soon
I'll tell you stories of a better time
In a place that we once knew

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Sion

Considerably more relieved with the sergeant up and walking again, Sion didn't notice his brief fatigue channeling the spell caused. A momentary stumble getting back on his feet may have drawn some attention before managing to compose himself. Such is part of the reason he doesn't like to resort to that power, assuming it even works, as it takes a bit out of him.

"Pleasant" would be the wrong word in regards to the service, but it is a simple gesture for the dead that can bring closure for the living. Moving on, as some would put it, is a necessary step. He takes this time to be thankful for whatever higher power was at the sergeants side this day.

Perhaps as well, the food and shelter of Cromm's Hold should not be labeled "pleasant" either. It is better than some of the places Sion has taken shelter in, which is good enough for him and doubles as an opportunity to better acquaint with the others sharing in this adventure. He recalls the well mannered dwarf that favored his pipe and boasted very flowery linguistic skills, Sion being interested in asking him about the story of his people being made literally of stone. Would be best to find out now in case his medical bag would prove insufficient for treatment of any injuries that may befall them. The idea that asking such a question might be considered rude does not enter his mind.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Yorri

While it seemed odd that a dragon would go back on its agreement, though the extent of Yorri's knowledge on dragons was from legends and stories. The fact that after the dragon, lizard folk, the scum, attacked was too much of a coincidence. Tomorrow will likely clear some things up, and maybe provide something to do other than riding around looking tough.

Sitting with the others that evening after a basic meal, though the Baroness was not likely expecting so many mouths to feed, and three dwarves in the group to boot! But it at least filled his stomach. And the cots they had been shown to were in worse shape than any he had seen before. They would have been better off sleeping in the hayloft. But it had been a trying day for all at Cromm's Hold, so not much complaining came from Yorri. It was only one night, and he had slept in worse conditions before.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Catalyn Woolrider

Recognizing the names of a few of her fellow Daggorfordians among those stricken down by the lizardfolk, Catalyn decides to attend the funeral. None of the dead she knew very personally, but well enough to feel obliged to pay her last respects. Later, at Ghepard's request, Catalyn removes her fiddle from its case and draws her bow across its strings. She's not totally familiar with the song he mentioned, but she fakes it well enough. Improvising for the most part, she invents a verse or two in remembrance of those who gave their life and the families they leave behind.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ghepard

Through the course of the song, Ghepard looked over the motley group of volunteers assembled before him. No doubt there were some hardened veterans there, but a couple of greenhorns, too. "Takes all sorts," he muttered to himself, remembering his past adventures; on nights like this, he often wouldn't get much rest. A scowl crossed his face, and one of his knuckles cracked as his hand clenched into a fist.

Shifting to a comfortable sitting position, he draped his blanket over his shoulders and lit one of his cigars. The music becoming a gentle ringing hum to his ears, as his eyes glazed over a bit, staring just above the flickering flames.

Lacerda
Apr 20, 2004

Grundle

Grundle tries to relax but his dumb brain won't let him. He keeps grasping at half-remembered fragments of things he's read over his many years. Stories, legends, bits and pieces, bits and pieces.

Trying to recall a blue coral altar (Arcana, History or Religion, whichever applies): 1d20+3 14

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Cromm's Hold

Grundle is not sure but the description of the altar makes him think that it may be a relic of the evil sea goddess Umberlee, whose holy symbol is a pair of crashing waves.

Everyone eats and then after a little music to relax, and respect those that have died, go to sleep.

The next morning after a good night's rest, Isteval asks you all a favor.

“While a black dragon is no small threat, I think the danger to Cromm’s Hold is minimal. We’ll bolster its defenses and remain a few days longer. In the meantime, we could use your help.

“Not long ago, orcs and half-orcs pillaged a noble estate north of Daggerford. One of the items they destroyed was a stained-glass altar hidden in a family crypt. I can’t help but think these two events are connected.

“I’d like you to find the dragon’s lair. I assume it’s hidden somewhere in the marsh. You might encounter hostile lizardfolk in your travels, but you should avoid a confrontation with the dragon at all costs. Black dragons are vicious, cruel, and notoriously difficult to reason with, and this specimen is big enough to lay waste to an entire village.”

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ghepard

"Motherfuckers!"

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Sion

Failing to discover the truth of dwarven anatomy is regretful, but ultimately unimportant. His nights rest was uneventful, though less than comfortable.

The proposal of tracking down the dragon's lair isn't one Sion was expecting to hear. There will be considerable danger wandering around what is essentially enemy territory. However, the others around him have an air of confidence about themselves. Encouraging. His talents would no doubt better their chances and it's not like he can simply hide within' the keep walls forever.

"So long as I am with companions, my services are at their disposal. I must admit to not having seen much combat in my days, but I am as trained as I can be for this."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ghepard

"I just had an apostrophe!" Ghepard exclaims, oozing with sarcasm.
"Alright, so... the orcs wanted to destroy an altar -- possibly the altar the dragon now has; Maybe the lizardfolk were playing the same angle. What do we stand to lose from telling both groups of idiots that the black dragon took it?"

Lacerda
Apr 20, 2004

Grundle

Grundle is scribbling notes on a piece of parchment and answers Ghepard without looking up.

"Our lives."

Before we leave I'd like to have the letter I'm writing dispatched to Delfin Yellowknife informing him of my pursuit of a potentially important magical artifact that's fallen into the wrong hands. I hope he understands the delay but this was simply too large an opportunity to let slip by without further investigation. Love, your apprentice Grundle (the dwarf one).

Lacerda fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 25, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ghepard

"Y'know, you're right; Isteval's plan of marching into a dragon's lair is far less life-threatening than talking to strangers. :rolleyes: And since he wants us to avoid a confrontation with the dragon 'at all costs' that's exactly what I'm proposing."

"Isteval! What would you have us do when we find this dragon's lair, hmmm? Let me see Baroness Wynne. If she can parley with a dragon, maybe she can parley with lizardfolk.."

Ghepard folds his arms :colbert: and starts pacing back and forth about 10 feet, avoiding eye contact with anyone the whole time.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Barnabus

Barnabus knew it would come to this. He was just glad Isteval trusted him enough with such an attack. Besides, Gweth hadn't seen the dwarf in years; what a couple more days?

He sees the strategy in Ghepard's words, but still has doubts. "Aye, maybe they will destroy each other. Maybe the dragon has them working together for some ruse. Nonetheless, I won't parley with murderers and thieves. A stronger message would be attack these monsters directly. The wyrm, however, can wait until we can raise the whole militia."

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Catalyn Woolrider

"I'm inclined to agree with Barnabus," Catalyn offers, "Even if they are open to listen to what we have to say, both groups deserve more than a polite chit-chat."

Lacerda
Apr 20, 2004

Grundle

"An empty dragon's lair is a mite safer than getting your face eaten by a group of crazed lizard folk," says Grundle, folding up the parchment. "Though if we do find one of these lizard men who can understand the common tongue, I can ensorcel its brain. Probably."

Now might be a good time to announce that I'll be memorizing Burning Hands and Charm Person.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Cromm's Hold

For the most part the group seems willing to go, but Ghepard at least seems to have other ideas. At one point Sir Isteval brings up that they don't actually know where the orcs are, nor do we know if the lizardfolk were after the alter or not.

For those who seem to be planning on going on the mission, for you he gives some more information.

"The stained-glass altar of Lord Floshin's was adorned with cloudlike patterns and lightning bolts. It was entombed with one of his noble ancestors. In addition to smashing the altar and setting fire to the Floshin estate, the orcs and half-orcs kidnapped eight of Lord Floshin's servants. One of the kidnapped servants, a maid, managed to escape from the orcs. During her capture she learned that the orcs were working for Arvik Zaltos, the Red Wizard we executed yesterday morning. She managed to bring that information to us."

He hands Grundle, and anyone else who agrees to go, each one potion of healing and a week's supply of rations. Then Sir Isteval goes to take care of station the militia. Those going begin to prepare, and as preparations are nearly complete someone walks up to Grundle and anyone else preparing to go.

An armored woman in her twenties approaches you. You recognize her as Maechen, one of the soldiers who accompanied you from Daggerford. You notice that she’s missing her left ear—an old war wound, perhaps.

“So you’re the ones Isteval is sending? I spoke to some of the other guards, and we thought you might need a little help. I’ve been on several patrols in and around the Lizard Marsh. I know it like the palm of my hand. If you want a guide who’s good with a sword, I’m your man, so to speak.”

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ghepard

Snatching up the potion and rations, Ghepard turns to listen to Maechen.

"So what's the plan, cap-i-tan?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Cromm's Hold

Maechen answers. "I know the swamp like the back of my hand, I know a number of secret paths and I can lead you where you need to go the fastest and easiest. We can't take the horses, the ground is too treacherous for them. It is also a bit difficult for us, we should be able to make half a mile in an hour's time but we aren't likely to go any faster than that."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ghepard

"I'm not sure why, but I believe her!" he mentions to the party members. Ghepard then turns back to Maechen and offers her the spartan handshake, introducing himself as he does.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Barnabus

Barnabus will also gladly take the potion and rations.

When Maechen approaches, he extends his hand. "Barnabus Gorograd, at your service. We'll gladly take your help, unless any of you sorry lot can navigate the Lizard Marsh," he answers, looking particularly at Ghepard. "Let's hope your sword arm is as good as your navigating. If we do get surrounded by the stinking lizards, I'd rather have a blade than a spell."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ghepard

"I'll have you know, I happen to be an excellent scout.
When I start off to find somebody, I find 'em; that's why they pay me :clint:
Hell, I could probably find this :airquote:~*mysterious hidden orc encampment*~:airquote: faster than any Paladins I can think of."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

You all get ready, one once ready, head out of the keep and toward the marsh. Maechen in the lead. You enter the swamp and soon can feel the effort of slogging through the muck and waste deep water. Your travels are slow, about half what you would expect on better ground and you can see why Maechen said that it would likely take an hour to traverse a half mile. Still you slog through the swamp. Here and there, small islands of spongy earth rise above the mire, providing semisolid ground on which to stand or make camp.

After about two hours of traveling through the swamp you spot two rather large, and hungry looking, lizards swimming your way. You draw your weapons, or whatever you do when you feel threatened, and prepare for battle.

If you want to post any last minute stuff from before you left feel free.

While in the swamp you move at half speed, unless you have something that allows you to ignore this.

Initiative
19 Grundle :rolldice:
17 Sion :rolldice:
15 Barnabus :rolldice:
12 Giant Lizards
11 Catalyn
09 Ghepard
07 Maechen
03 Yorri

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 26, 2014

Lacerda
Apr 20, 2004

Grundle

"Why thank you, Maechen, we be pleased to have you!" says Grundle. "I'm more than a little out of my element in a swamp. Put me in a cave, I'm happy. In a mountain, even more so. Swamp...not so much. Tell me, anything we want to keep our eyes peeled for? Poisonous snakes? Poisonous vines? Poisonous trees? Pois—well, you get the idea! Any other preparations we can make?"

Grundle smiles at Barnabus. "Depends on the blade, depends on the spell. I prefer to keep both at hand. That said, there's no substitute for fine dwarven steel."

"How many paladins can you think of, Ghepard?" asks Grundle earnestly. "I find them fascinating! Did you know that (insert facts about a whole bunch of famous paladins here that Grundle will spew until interrupted)"

Edit: I SAID ALL THIS BEFORE THE GIANT LIZARDS

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ghepard

"Well, actually I once knew a paladin of one of the death gods, and we got along just fine.. There was also a paladin who revered the sea... But the THIRD paladin, well... I'm just glad he got his. But you weren't being literal, were you. I just meant Isteval and Barnabus."

Lacerda
Apr 20, 2004

Grundle

Grundle rushes (slogs slowly through the muck) to stand next to Sion. "Giant lizards!" he gasps. "And hungry from the look of it. Quickly now, we can drive them off if we hurt them enough. They hate being hurt—WITH DARTS!"

Grundle throws a long range dart (with disadvantage): 2d20l1+4 13

If the dart should hit, this is how much it hits: 1d4+3 4

...huzzah

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

Grundle slogs through the muck and slings a stone at one of the lizards. It hits! Though the lizard does not seem to have been driven off by this inconvenience.

Initiative
19 Grundle
17 Sion :rolldice:
15 Barnabus :rolldice:
12 Giant Lizards
11 Catalyn
09 Ghepard
07 Maechen
03 Yorri

Image not updated

Lacerda
Apr 20, 2004

Grundle

Grundle holds up a hand. "Give it a second, sometimes it takes a minute for them to register the pain."

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Sion

If it isn't the muck clinging to his chain boots, it's the smell invading his nostrils that serve to constantly distract Sion's mind. Even Ghepard's intermittent ramblings provide him no comfort out here. At least Maechen is a pleasant sort.

The lizards put Sion on guard with their considerable size, but the bravery of Grundle and his competent Dart skills encourages him to follow suit.

"Maybe something a little bigger" he announces, drawing on his shortbow and knocking an arrow.

Attacking Grundle's target: Attack roll, 1d20+4=12
Damage if hit, same link as attack: 1d6+3=8

Lothire fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 26, 2014

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Barnabus

Seeing the oncoming lizards, Barnabus draws his axe and shield, ready to defend his party from attack.

Unfortunately, he's at the back of the party, and the muck makes it hard to move. Nonetheless, he advances as far as he can.

Barnabus will use the Hustle action to double his move, which effectively cancels out the move penalty of the terrain. He'll move 25 feet, or 5 squares directly forward, which puts him one space ahead adjacent to Maechen.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Lizard Marsh

Sion launches an arrow, and nearly finishes off the far lizard. Barnabus stomps forward through the muck and nears Maechen. Then the lizards rush forward. One makes it up to Barnabus and attempts to bite him, to no avail.

Initiative
19 Grundle
17 Sion
15 Barnabus
12 Giant Lizards
11 Catalyn :rolldice:
09 Ghepard :rolldice:
07 Maechen :rolldice:
03 Yorri :rolldice:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ghepard

Ghepard's eyes widen with delight!
He circle-strafes behind the party, drawing his longbow as he does, then looses an arrow at the lizard engaged with Barnabus.

Move to 2 squares south of Catalyn
Arrowing plus Sneak Attack: attack = 21 , damage = 8

Ammo: 39/40

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Yorri

Curse this swamp! Too much mud and water. Trying to get his boot unstuck from a sucking mud hole, he is not paying attention when the lizards attack. Finally he gets moving after everyone else had already begun swinging at the creatures.

Moving forward, Yorri takes up position near Barnabus forming the lower corner of a wedge to protect those behind them. As he rushes forward, he pulls a hammer from his belt and throws it at the lead lizard.

Alright, hope I'm doing this right. Going to spend more time tomorrow reading at least the combat rules.

Move forward one square then at an angle forward and down one. It should be like this after my move(M = Maechen, B=Barnabus, Y=Yorri):

pre:
M
 B
Y
Ranged Attack Lizard 2: 1d20+4 20 1d6+3 6

• Locked thread