Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
"And the cat power up is the best new power up in any mario game ever and if anyone wants to fight me about it I'll give you my address and we'll loving throw down about it."

Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

No, stop, I don't have the money or the time or anything needed for buying a console. How am I supposed to turn down cat peach?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

MooCowlian posted:

No, stop, I don't have the money or the time or anything needed for buying a console. How am I supposed to turn down cat peach?

Just say "no".

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

MooCowlian posted:

Look for any piles of change you have slowly built up over time? Sometimes acting like a child for your viddy games purchases works out (Hello, $98.02 Amazon gift credit)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Tiny Peach and Cat Peach are both amazing.

chinchilla
May 1, 2010

In their native habitat, chinchillas live in burrows or crevices in rocks. They are agile jumpers and can jump up to 6 ft (1.8 m).
This is a good game and you guys are good people for LPing it.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The Wii-U needs to get some more killer games so I can justify buying one.

[e] I wonder if the same team in charge of 3D world are also the ones that did new super mario bros. I feel as though that series lacks all the charm of 3D and just seem phoned in.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 25, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

There are some good ones on there now, but about 90-95% of those games they hyped up still don't have a release date.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Bowser's drat lucky he has all those bottled fairies. Ain't no way to come back from these beatings without them.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

DrManiac posted:

[e] I wonder if the same team in charge of 3D world are also the ones that did new super mario bros. I feel as though that series lacks all the charm of 3D and just seem phoned in.

Nope, different teams. EAD Tokyo did Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, SMG1 and 2, 3D Land and now 3D World.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

DrManiac posted:

Fun fact, the New Super Mario Bros. games are all made by new employees of Nintendo. When you come on as a game designer, the latest NSMB is usually the first project they let you work on. Designers prove themselves there in order to move on to bigger and better things.

If you think of NSMB games as the world's most elaborate student projects, they're kind of adorable.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

DrManiac posted:

The Wonderful 101 already exists so I don't really understand this post.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Club Nintendo members of Europe/Australia/Japan were able to get the full soundtrack as of a couple of weeks ago. It's loving awesome, especially with the track notes. Speaking of which, the Switch Scramble Circus music, as you noted, is composed to play in time with your progress through the level.

Great start so far, guys, don't let that enthusiasm drop.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Rocketlex posted:

Fun fact, the New Super Mario Bros. games are all made by new employees of Nintendo. When you come on as a game designer, the latest NSMB is usually the first project they let you work on. Designers prove themselves there in order to move on to bigger and better things.

If you think of NSMB games as the world's most elaborate student projects, they're kind of adorable.

This LP and this post in particular have convinced me the world is a better place than I thought it was. Thanks, Nintendo.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
This game looks like a lot of fun. I mean, not "buy a WiiU" fun, but maybe "buy a WiiU if they removed the original Xbox level gigantic tablet controller" fun.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I'm still not convinced by this one - so far, the level design looks really bland. It looks like Mario Galaxy with HD at the expense of levels that actually use the 3D. Don't get me wrong, if I was sat in front of it, I'd probably enjoy playing it, but... I'd be thinking of Galaxy.

Is the cat powerup as overpowered as it looks?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

petrol blue posted:

I'm still not convinced by this one - so far, the level design looks really bland. It looks like Mario Galaxy with HD at the expense of levels that actually use the 3D. Don't get me wrong, if I was sat in front of it, I'd probably enjoy playing it, but... I'd be thinking of Galaxy.

Honestly, I'll be the voice of dissent in this thread: This game is good, great even, but it takes quite a while to get to the good stuff. You can sleepwalk through a lot of the first half or so of the game. Check back in, say, World 7 or so and see if you like that more.

It's no Galaxy 2 is what I'm saying.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Honestly, I'll be the voice of dissent in this thread: This game is good, great even, but it takes quite a while to get to the good stuff. You can sleepwalk through a lot of the first half or so of the game. Check back in, say, World 7 or so and see if you like that more.

It's no Galaxy 2 is what I'm saying.

The 3DS game is the same way.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

petrol blue posted:

Give it a bit more time. The strongest thing about this game is that it consistently introduces new things in each of the stages. You get to the very last world and each level still has a new platform or enemy type or something and they're all incorporated really really well. Also there are a couple of stages later on that stick out for being incredibly clever and creative.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Oh man, I love me some 3D World, to the point where I had considered LPing it myself. I still need to finish some stuff in the game though.

Also, the Cat powerup is hella OP, but I don't care because every character looks adorable in it.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

petrol blue posted:

That's just the first couple of introductory levels that are like that, game has a very gentle difficulty curve at first but then slowly starts ramping up the difficulty level (and inventiveness) of the level design later on, right until the very end where it really gets hard as balls. Also yes, that cat powerup is indeed quite as overpowered as you imagine, and then some. They even introduce a EVEN MORE powerful version that lets you turn into an invincible statue at will toward the end.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The amount of variety and ingenuity in this game puts even the Galaxy duology to shame, I think.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007

PrBacterio posted:

They even introduce a EVEN MORE powerful version that lets you turn into an invincible statue at will toward the end.

The mean the Tanooki suit that was in SMB3?

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

FrantzX posted:

The mean the Tanooki suit that was in SMB3?
No, not precisely, because it's still a version of the cat suit, not a Tanooki suit, in 3D World that lets you do it. It's only available in some of the post-game levels I think, and is triggered by an item called the "golden cat bell" or somesuch. Also there is a Tanooki suit in 3D World too, that lets you fly/glide for a short time, like the regular power leaf Tanooki suit in SMB3, but you can't turn into a statue with it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Guys i just beat this game today, i cannot WAIT till we get there! I'm joining up with the "This is the best Mario game ever made" camp

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Guys i just beat this game today, i cannot WAIT till we get there! I'm joining up with the "This is the best Mario game ever made" camp

We just recorded an episode today, so another part should be comin' down the pipe. I haven't beat the game yet, The last levels are still pretty rough. As much fun as discussing the later stuff is, we shouldn't spoil it juuuust yet. I'm IN the drat LP and I am enjoying waiting to see where it goes!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

bartok posted:

The 3DS game is the same way.

I think this game does a better job of sprinkling (relatively) tough stages in among the easy ones right from the beginning, and the levels are more varied and interesting in general, so you don't feel like you're wasting your time for the first half of the game like you do in 3D Land.

Rocketlex posted:

This isn't really accurate. All the NSMB games have been headed up by established employees, and the only one that wasn't developed entirely within EAD was the 3DS game, which was directed by EAD people but mainly staffed by people from SPD, the software division that's broadly based on Gunpei Yokoi's old team. They've been described as "students" but that's a specific reference to the in-house "Mario cram school" they set up to acquaint people to the EAD design brief, they weren't rookies or anything. (That same setup was used for the Luigi U expansion.)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
And to be fair all the NSMB games have been pretty great. NSMB Wii is also the most effective relationship destroyer known to man; it doesn't matter how much you like the people or person you're playing with by the end of the game you will hate them and want to rip their throat out with your teeth.

At least this SM3DWorld doesn't have the fucker with the screentroller spawning platforms to gently caress with you.

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.
New Video! We happen upon a vast sprawling Desert known only as "World 2" and activate Miiverse which is instantly hilarious

Super Mario 3D World Part 2: World 2

P.S: Yes, you CAN play the game by yourself without using the Game Pad!

Dex01 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 27, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Miiverse is always amazing.

e: You should totally call out petrol blue as one of the heretic detractors.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 27, 2014

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
My favorite thing about the piranha plant powerup is that if you are playing multiplayer it will always bite your teammates. Always. No matter what. Most of the time it'll stunlock them too and it's pretty hilarious. My brother killed me once by biting me out of the air as I was trying to jump over a pit.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

My favorite thing about the piranha plant powerup is that if you are playing multiplayer it will always bite your teammates. Always. No matter what. Most of the time it'll stunlock them too and it's pretty hilarious. My brother killed me once by biting me out of the air as I was trying to jump over a pit.

Nintendo seem to have really jumped on board the whole 'co-operative antaganistic gameplay' concept. Giving players ways to gently caress with their own allies seems to be a winning formula.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

please keep abusing toad.

kill toad.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Some nights I ponder about the joyless existence that being a person who doesn't think Super Mario 3D World is the best 3D Mario game must be.

e:

Neruz posted:

There was a moment there when Sunshine was shiny and new when it looked like Nintendo had forgotten how to make a fun Mario game.

Fortunately, in a remarkable display of competence almost unheard of amongst modern companies, Nintendo learned from their mistakes.

Did you just refer to Mario Sunshine as a 'mistake' because I will fight you in Smash Bros 3DS when it comes out.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 27, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

JordanKai posted:

Some nights I ponder about the joyless existence that being a person who doesn't think Super Mario 3D World is the best 3D Mario game must be.

There was a moment there when Sunshine was shiny and new when it looked like Nintendo had forgotten how to make a fun Mario game.

Fortunately, in a remarkable display of competence almost unheard of amongst modern companies, Nintendo learned from their mistakes.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Wait wait wait. Hold the loving phone. There are secret exits in this game?!!? :psyboom:

I thought I 100%ed the game, but apparently not!

Also, to elaborate on the level that required the Gamepad, you're just not allowed in if you're not using that controller. I'm pretty sure every level that requires it is optional or skippable in some fashion, so if you wanted to play through 96% of the game with the Pro Controller that's totally fine.

Also Double Cherry is the best powerup.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Neruz posted:

Mario Sunshine is a better game than Mario 64 and I will also fight you (in smash bros) over this.

But this really is the best Mario game ever. World 1 isn't anything special, but it was around World 2 that I realized I had yet to dislike a level. This trend continued through the entire game. EVERY LEVEL IS GOOD AND FUN, GUYS. Do you know how amazingly rare that is in a Mario game? Even Mario World SNES had stinkers every couple of levels or so.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
You know, Fire Toad's model in this game looks like Yellow Toad's Fire form from New Super Mario Brothers Wii.

And Dex isn't kidding about the difficulty curve, the latter half of the game can be tough.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 27, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Chimera-gui posted:

You know, Fire Toad's model in this game looks like Yellow Toad's Fire form from New Super Mario Brothers Wii.

And Dex isn't kidding about the difficulty curve, the latter half of the game can be tough.

I just note to myself it makes Toad look like he has a giant mushroom for a head (albeit a mini version, of course).

But yeah, I'd say its about World 5 or 6 the game starts ramping up, and then the curve just keeps getting steeper from there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

kalonZombie posted:

Mario Sunshine is a better game than Mario 64 and I will also fight you (in smash bros) over this.

But this really is the best Mario game ever. World 1 isn't anything special, but it was around World 2 that I realized I had yet to dislike a level. This trend continued through the entire game. EVERY LEVEL IS GOOD AND FUN, GUYS. Do you know how amazingly rare that is in a Mario game? Even Mario World SNES had stinkers every couple of levels or so.

That's why i'm shocked someone hasn't LPed this game on here yet. It's an amazing ride that lasts ages, and that is a good thing. It's one of those rare games you can just pick up and play at any time, and have a blast with.

• Locked thread