Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Jesus, this thread alone has practically doubled the number of Wii Us sold and it's only two episodes in. Nintendo should hire you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Wild Knight posted:

Jesus, this thread alone has practically doubled the number of Wii Us sold and it's only two episodes in. Nintendo should hire you guys.

Mario Kart 8 just came out today. It comes in a bundle! Buy the Mario Kart 8 bundle, this game, and Wonderful 101 and you'll be set for a while.

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

Wild Knight posted:

Dear Nintendo: I work in a booth alone for 8 hours and get yelled at by customers daily. Any job. Any job would be an upgrade. Ill clip Filsame's nails.

Ill do it man

Ill clip those loving nails so good

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

kalonZombie posted:

Mario Kart 8 just came out today. It comes in a bundle! Buy the Mario Kart 8 bundle, this game, and Wonderful 101 and you'll be set for a while.

Don't forget to get your free game for registering Mario Kart 8 with Nintendo Club! (I grabbed Windwaker HD)

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
The Gamestop by my work has a Zelda special edition Wii U on sale for the price of a normal one that I'm eyeballing enviously. I really can't afford it, but I'm considering finding room in the budget.

The question is, the Mario Kart 8 Wii U has also been released recently, and that would give me two games instead of just one I already played. Ideally including this one. But I really want that Historia artbook. First world decisions :ohdear:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

kalonZombie posted:

And Pikmin 3.

Mister Xenophobe
Feb 2, 2008

Mad Wack posted:

Hi just chiming in to say this thread sold another Wii U (to me) (with mario kart 8 and 3d world)

In that case, I guess I make 6 for 3d world, and another Wii U.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Wii U's are flying off the shelves with unheard-of speed. Never before have so many been sold so quickly!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Three in one day!

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Lizard Wizard posted:

And Pikmin 3.

(:shepspends: you can get pikmin 3 free if you register mario kart 8 on club nintendo)

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 30, 2014

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

kalonZombie posted:

(:shepspends: you can get pikmin 3 free if you register mario kart 8 on club nintendo)

Honestly, im torn between Zelda WW HD and Pikmin 3. I love zelda games but I didn't like WW too much- I do wanna try and play it again. I like how nintendo have turned to giving games away to sell the console. I like it.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
*sigh*

This pushed me over the edge and I ALSO just ordered a Costco bundle. They almost had me at Pikmin 3 but this LP and the new Mario Kart made it a go.

Stop looking like it's so much fun.

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.

Redeye Flight posted:

The Gamestop by my work has a Zelda special edition Wii U on sale for the price of a normal one that I'm eyeballing enviously. I really can't afford it, but I'm considering finding room in the budget.

The question is, the Mario Kart 8 Wii U has also been released recently, and that would give me two games instead of just one I already played. Ideally including this one. But I really want that Historia artbook. First world decisions :ohdear:

As someone who has the Hyrule Historia, knows how pretty the Zelda Wii U looks and has been playing MK8 non-stop since I picked it up earlier today, this is a tough decision.

I would say get the MK8 Wii U, get more out of your money and maybe buy the Historia at a later date? It's your money at the end of the day, though I gotta say I don't envy having to make this decision.

Onions For Sale
Nov 13, 2009
Get MK8 bundle, download WWHD, buy physical copy of Historia. Reading it on the console is kind of awkward to be honest.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

List of games you should totes get if you decide to buy a Wii U:

Retail
-Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze
-Pikmin 3
-The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
-Super Mario 3D World
-Mario Kart 8
-The Wonderful 101
-Zombi U
-Rayman Legends (the best version of the game by far)
-Lego City Undercover
-Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

eShop
-Toki Tori 2+
-Dr. Luigi
-Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition
-Mighty Switch Force 2

Additional good choices:
-Wii Party U and Nintendoland (if you want some fun party games to play with friends)
-Need for Speed: Most Wanted and Darksiders 2 (The Wii U versions of these two games in particular are the best out of all of them)

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Depending on your history with Nintendo games, NES Remix and its sequel are also good eShop games to get; and if you like the Pushmo/Pullblox puzzle games on the 3DS, there's a WiiU one coming as well.

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

JordanKai posted:

-Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

I disagree. I would say to wait for the next one to come out in.. 2015? Whats the point of all that progress will be gone soon?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Vilemoon posted:

I disagree. I would say to wait for the next one to come out in.. 2015? Whats the point of all that progress will be gone soon?

Well gently caress, guess I need to stop playing video games at all then.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Vilemoon posted:

The next one's 3DS exclusive so you'll still be playing Ultimate anyway to battle gen 3 monsters.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

JordanKai posted:

Retail
-Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze

Super off topic but I've never actually gotten to see footage of this game, only a speed run. It seemed really good but I wasn't sure.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Also old news, but Earthbound is on the Wii U Eshop too :allears:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Stallion Cabana posted:

Super off topic but I've never actually gotten to see footage of this game, only a speed run. It seemed really good but I wasn't sure.

It takes DKCR and polishes it to a fine sheen. While DKCR had great platforming the levels felt the same aside from a couple of standouts. Tropical Freeze has some repetition in the first world, but after that every stage has a flavor all its own. You may be jumping between small platforms, but in one level it will be floating balloons high among frozen peaks and in another it will be leaves that get blown around by owls on alpenhorns in time with the music. Seriously. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XM1pG8z22w

Some levels definitely have a more "oh my god this is crazy" asthetic than others, but every one has something different. My main complaint about the game is just that some bosses are way too much of a slog, particularly the last one.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Add another to the "got a wii u" group. I was planning on one to play monster hunter and smash bros but figured there was enough good games to get one now. I literally live next to a rental store and they have wonderful 101 and this game so I decided the hell with it and ordered one online last night.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Bruceski posted:

Some levels definitely have a more "oh my god this is crazy" asthetic than others,

None more than this motherfucker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDOmddtN7qI

IMO, the best 2D platformer level ever created.

Dice_
May 29, 2013

Afraid of being hollow?

Join the club, my face is more caved in than your mother.
This thread has sold (9) Wii U's
This thread has sold (7) copies of Super Mario 3D World
This thread has sold (5) other Wii U Games (Mario Kart 8 x3 | Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze x1 | Monster Hunter Unlimited 3 x1)

This thread also made me impulsively buy Mario Kart 8 so I added my number to the other Wii U Games counter.

Dice_ fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 2, 2014

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Dice_ posted:

This thread has sold (7) Wii U's
This thread has sold (6) copies of Super Mario 3D World
This thread has sold (2) other Wii U Games

This thread also made me impulsively buy Mario Kart 8 so I added my number to the other Wii U Games counter.

Add another one to other Wii U games, got me to finally buy tropical freeze

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Chalk up another Super Mario 3D World purchase over here.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Add me to the counter of Wii Us sold. I'll grab 3D World whenever it comes in.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

All of these Wii-U sales with only 2 videos as well!

It's beautiful

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

None more than this motherfucker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDOmddtN7qI

IMO, the best 2D platformer level ever created.
That silhouette art design while neat, feels like a copout and they just didn't have time to finish the stage's textures or something.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 2, 2014

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I actually went on a binge and got MK8, Monster Hunter Unlimited 3, Mario World 3D, Windwaker HD (Free Game), Pikmin 3 (Bought it off the free game SA Mart thread) - I'll probably end up owning the entire Wii U library within a month at this rate.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm loving this LP so far. I've been lurking the thread, but I wanted to speak up and say this really changed my mind about the game. I've just kinda been given a certain expectation from all the 'New Mario this and that' games, and I'm really happy this one seems so much better than those.

You might as well add me to the list of Wii U's sold too. I haven't bought mine yet, but that Mario Kart bundle will probably be an impulse buy any day now. And I just have to get one for this game at this point.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Tengames posted:

That silhouette art design while neat, feels like a copout and they just didn't have time to finish the stage's textures or something.

Designing good-looking silhouettes is hard. They actually have different enemy models and player animations for the silhouette levels.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
OK. This thread, combined with all the excellent MK8 gifs that have been posted make me want to buy a Wii U now. Holy gently caress Nintendo, I didn't want to spend my money this. It's going to be a used one for $80, but oh well.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I just got MK8, so probably next month I'm going to get this too. I cant help it, what, with how excited you all are. Nintendo first party games ahve been no joke the last few months

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I haven't played a Mario since the SNES, but this is really really neat-looking :staredog: Also, oh my god I love the jazzy music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFxzHKx1BYQ

Really enjoying the videos/commentary so far! :v:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The best jazzy track hasn't even shown up yet!

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Geop posted:

I haven't played a Mario since the SNES, but this is really really neat-looking :staredog: Also, oh my god I love the jazzy music.

The soundtrack is one of the big reasons why I'm digging this game. I'm not in a financial position to get a WiiU+Mareeo, but I might grab the soundtrack just for jazzy tunes like this.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Tengames posted:

Considering they have different models with different animations and different level design with different secrets and traps in the silhouette levels I sincerely doubt it was anything but intentional.

Geop posted:

Nintendo's music guys are scary good when they want to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Neruz posted:

Considering they have different models with different animations and different level design with different secrets and traps in the silhouette levels I sincerely doubt it was anything but intentional.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Designing good-looking silhouettes is hard. They actually have different enemy models and player animations for the silhouette levels.

Well then nevermind, thats pretty impressive. I guess they just did it to make everything more visible in the avalanche.

• Locked thread