Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Neruz posted:

Nintendo's music guys are scary good when they want to be.

Yeah it's a nice song, but honestly it also feels like background music for a daytime scene in a visual novel. Just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

sincx posted:

Yeah it's a nice song, but honestly it also feels like background music for a daytime scene in a visual novel. Just saying.

I have no idea what visual novels you are playing.

Dice_
May 29, 2013

Afraid of being hollow?

Join the club, my face is more caved in than your mother.

Geop posted:

I haven't played a Mario since the SNES, but this is really really neat-looking :staredog: Also, oh my god I love the jazzy music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFxzHKx1BYQ

Really enjoying the videos/commentary so far! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJidzcM28Zk

These two themes go hand in hand, it's so good. I can't wait for what the future tracks offer in the game, the music has been great so far, it never ceases to amaze me how Nintendo's team manages to come up with these great memorable melodies.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Dice_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJidzcM28Zk

These two themes go hand in hand, it's so good. I can't wait for what the future tracks offer in the game, the music has been great so far, it never ceases to amaze me how Nintendo's team manages to come up with these great memorable melodies.

Fresh Prince goes well with almost any western 'cheerful' style music; but I must say those two do mix very well indeed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Tengames posted:

Well then nevermind, thats pretty impressive. I guess they just did it to make everything more visible in the avalanche.

It's a thematic thing they also did in several iconic levels in the first game- there I think it was fog-themed, with one occurring in smoke from a volcano and another using red and black in a factory.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

OK. This thread, combined with all the excellent MK8 gifs that have been posted make me want to buy a Wii U now. Holy gently caress Nintendo, I didn't want to spend my money this. It's going to be a used one for $80, but oh well.

Where are you getting an 80 dollar Wii U?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dr. Hurt posted:

Where are you getting an 80 dollar Wii U?

Craigslist.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

It's a thematic thing they also did in several iconic levels in the first game- there I think it was fog-themed, with one occurring in smoke from a volcano and another using red and black in a factory.

Don't forget the first one where it was against a sunset.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The only "caveat" I'd give to Tropical Freeze, especially compared to most 3-D Mario games, is that it is loving hard. It's brutal hard, it will loving murder you by world 2 and it doesn't let up. The bonus temples are especially vindictive. None of it is bad at all, it's all great fun but if you've been weaned on babby games for a few years, Donkey Kong will kick your teeth in and shove a banana down your throat until you cry.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Nice find. This thread makes me really want to find a cheap used Wii U and play some mario with friends, but I really don't want to actually shell out the cash for a fresh Wii U.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

My true next-gen gaming experience.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Congratulations UK Wii U buyers on boosting sales of the console there by 666%. If that's not a sign that I should buy one I don't know what is.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The only "caveat" I'd give to Tropical Freeze, especially compared to most 3-D Mario games, is that it is loving hard. It's brutal hard, it will loving murder you by world 2 and it doesn't let up. The bonus temples are especially vindictive. None of it is bad at all, it's all great fun but if you've been weaned on babby games for a few years, Donkey Kong will kick your teeth in and shove a banana down your throat until you cry.
Good, games are too easy these days. As long as it doesn't have bullshit like Rocket Rush, I am ready to die many deaths.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Suspicious Dish posted:

Okay, is "Luigi being a dick in Mario Kart 8" going to be a thing now?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Wheany posted:

Yes, and it's hilarious.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Wheany posted:

i loving hope so

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Wheany posted:

He's just so expressive; Luigi is clearly enjoying ruining up other people's fun.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Luigi will never let you forget that it was his year.

Every year.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

Jesus, Luigi is stone cold.

Also I so want to get a Wii U, mostly because of this thread, but alas I'm poor as all hell.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Donkey Kong also gets a :D face whenever he does a drift. It's pretty great.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play > Let's Play Super Mario 3D World: Wii U Purchase Celebration Station

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play > Let's Play Super Mario 3D World: Selling More Wii-U's Than Nintendo's Entire Marketing Department

Or perhaps

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play > Let's Play Super Mario 3D World: Wii-U Sales Increased By Over 300%

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I like the current thread title just the way it is! :glomp:

Dice_
May 29, 2013

Afraid of being hollow?

Join the club, my face is more caved in than your mother.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Jesus, Luigi is stone cold.

Also I so want to get a Wii U, mostly because of this thread, but alas I'm poor as all hell.

The best thing about it is that it doesn't look like the face of someone who just made a small victory, it looks more like Luigi is sending a message for the mafia. "Next time it'll be the blue shell for you, Don Mario wants his money."

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

Dice_ posted:

The best thing about it is that it doesn't look like the face of someone who just made a small victory, it looks more like Luigi is sending a message for the mafia. "Next time it'll be the blue shell for you, Don Mario wants his money."
Yeah I've mostly been playing as Luigi and I've noticed all these faces he's made when watching the replays. I pretty much always use Luigi in Mario Kart so this is great for me. I also use Luigi a lot in 3D World, his jumps are just so useful for a lot of green stars and the flag poles. In my heart it's always been the year of Luigi.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Luigi is basically the best.

Except for Waluigi, but Waluigi will never be a playable character outside any of the party/sport games.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play > Let's Play Super Mario 3D World: Wiising from Ashes

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

So is this like the thing where they draw angry eyebrows on Kirby for US audiences, or is Luigi just officially now the heel in a 1989 film about race car drivers?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

kalonZombie posted:

Luigi is basically the best.

Except for Waluigi, but Waluigi will never be a playable character outside any of the party/sport games.

Waluigi's entire shtick is being a poor sport. It works great in the games he's in but it can't hold up a normal platformer like Wario's "grab all the coins because you're Wario" thing.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I though waluigi's shtick was being waluigi.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Alright, now I want a WiiU.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

drat, Luigi is just a stone cold professional.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007
Nintendo had a big drop in profit during the Year of Luigi, I like to imagine people blaming that on him instead of bad Wii U sales has worn him down into a cold, tired, go-karting murder-machine.

You want profits? Here's your profits.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The Sezza posted:

Nintendo had a big drop in profit during the Year of Luigi, I like to imagine people blaming that on him instead of bad Wii U sales has worn him down into a cold, tired, go-karting murder-machine.

You want profits? Here's your profits.

The wages of sin is death. The profits earned by that?

More death.

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

JordanKai posted:

Retail
-Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze
-Rayman Legends (the best version of the game by far)

Since this was brought up, How does DK:TF stack up to Rayman Legends? I played Legends on the Vita and thought it was fantastic. Should I get the DK game after having played Legends?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Skapegoat posted:

Since this was brought up, How does DK:TF stack up to Rayman Legends? I played Legends on the Vita and thought it was fantastic. Should I get the DK game after having played Legends?

Trying to get a concensus on which of the two is better is basically impossible. Some people think Rayman Legends is the best 2D platformer of all time and others think Tropical Freeze is the best platformer of all time.

All things considered though you probably won't be disappointed. Rayman Legends is really good.

Bruceski posted:

Waluigi's entire shtick is being a poor sport. It works great in the games he's in but it can't hold up a normal platformer like Wario's "grab all the coins because you're Wario" thing.

Uhm that actually sounds perfect for the kind of player in-fighting that the New Super Mario Bros games and Mario 3D World encourage. :colbert:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Skapegoat posted:

If you're more into the Sonic-y type gameplay of going fast and Gamepad gimmick levels, you'll love Rayman.

If you're into the slower, well, DKC type of platforming challenges (very,VERY challenging in the case of both DKCR and Tropical Freeze) with kinda lame bosses then Tropical Freeze is for you.

But honestly both games are great so get them both.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Rayman games feel almost like iOS-style auto-runners to me, inasmuch as the levels, enemy placements etc are designed to keep you on a certain "line" and once you find that optimal line they're just there as fodder to mindlessly bounce off without having to think too hard, whereas DKC makes you think a little harder about each obstacle and doesn't ever put you on auto-pilot to the same degree (aside from the literal on-rails stages, I guess, but even they give you a decent amount of latitude).

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.
New Video! We take a trip to the Ice World in which ice skating makes a return in a spectacularly amazing way

also we make a post on the Miiverse because Miiverse is integral to every Nintendo game now.

Super Mario 3D World Part 3: World 3

Also at some point Vile says "get memed on". You have been warned.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

What are you guys talking about? Watch_Dogs totally has reflections!

Baked-in reflections from completely different sections of the map but, you know, they're there! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Dex01 posted:

New Video! We take a trip to the Ice World in which ice skating makes a return in a spectacularly amazing way

also we make a post on the Miiverse because Miiverse is integral to every Nintendo game now.

Super Mario 3D World Part 3: World 3

Also at some point Vile says "get memed on". You have been warned.

Oh thank gently caress, I thought I'd have to sleep tonight.

• Locked thread