Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I don't see how the next film can be set in the past with MacAvoy, Fassbender, etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dan Didio posted:

I don't see how the next film can be set in the past with MacAvoy, Fassbender, etc. etc.

Lots of years between 1973 and 20??. Also Stewart and McKellan implied this was their swan song.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

AnonSpore posted:

Well in Jean's case, you could say that Charles learned earlier in the new timeline that it's not good to try and control and suppress people like he did (well-meaningly, but still) with Jean and Raven. Since (iirc) Dark Phoenix in the movies is just Jean's repressed negative emotions all coming out at once and not an alien entity or whatever, it makes sense that Charles kept it from ever happening by being more understanding and gentle when dealing with the danger of her powers.

By changing the past they can drastically change the future, I doubt they even get close to the abortion that was x3 pheonix. I also like how Cyclops has a backbone now, great things are ahead.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Rhyno posted:

Lots of years between 1973 and 20??. Also Stewart and McKellan implied this was their swan song.

I don't really see how they can do Apocalypse in those years, though. If the last present day scene of this film is just a 'happily ever after X-Men' end for that set of characters, then that's fine, but it's a weird, Smallville style approach to mythologizing to have Apocalypse be defeated before the X-Men ever come together.

And if that is the last we see of that team of X-Men, it makes the whole thrust of Singer's revisions and retcons seem really petty.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dan Didio posted:

I don't really see how they can do Apocalypse in those years, though. If the last present day scene of this film is just a 'happily ever after X-Men' end for that set of characters, then that's fine, but it's a weird, Smallville style approach to mythologizing to have Apocalypse be defeated before the X-Men ever come together.

And if that is the last we see of that team of X-Men, it makes the whole thrust of Singer's revisions and retcons seem really petty.

It's pretty obvious the X-Men at the end have been around a long time. From Wolverine's hair it's obvious they're a few years beyond the Wolverine. There's at least 30 years worth of stories they can now tell. I mean, it's pretty obvious they're going to tell period pieces now, they were all abuzz about casting new young versions of Storm and Cyclops just last week.

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
Really really good comic book and X-men movie. I liked the whole "you need to hope for the future and act on it if you want a better one" message, don't care if it was "hackneyed" or whatever, I felt a feel when future Xavier spoke to past Xavier and during the brighter future ending (which was the perfect distillation of what the X-men are all about, a school for a better tomorrow). It's about tied with X2 for best X-men movie IMO. Can't wait for the blu-ray and to see what they left on the cutting room floor. Quicksilver was amazing, the cast was stellar, great displays of the mutant powers... ESPECIALLY Magneto, the sentinels were good... even the past versions looked much better in motion than in the production photos, the deaths in the future were pretty brutal for PG-13. Also Wolverine with the rebar being put through him was a great inversion on one of my favorite X-men comic images when I was kid where he gets the adamantium ripped out of him by Magneto. It has it's flaws but I'm hard pressed to remember what they were and they didn't really bother me that much.

As for the whole "wait how did that happen?" questions you might have, just leave em and go with the flow. It's easily 10+ years between "The Wolverine" and the sentinel apocalypse so poo poo happened, you can make up your own explanation or read the official tie-in comic series and stop giving a poo poo.

Commissar Of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 23, 2014

Gecnan
Apr 26, 2008

Why did Mystique shoot Magneto at the end? He was about to kill the President and Trask right?
I did not understand that exchange. I thought she was working with Eric??

EDITED BECAUSE SOMEONE IS AN IDIOT WHO DOESN'T USE SPOILER TAGS

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
You should use spoiler tags. Erik tried to kill her earlier in the movie, so she wants nothing to do with him. Erik is even more ruthless and bloodthirsty than she is. He wanted to kill the President and his entire Cabinet for ideological reasons, while Mystique only wanted to kill Trask to punish him for killing her friends. She didn't want a war; Erik did, so she shot him to regain control over the situation.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Xavier wouldn't have any memory of the alternate dark future, but he would still remember this time Wolverine showed up and told him that they had to prevent an alternate dark future and then they all teamed up and the events of this movie happened. So why would he have never mentioned this to anyone before the day at the end of the movie where Wolverine wakes up?

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Who's to say he didn't?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skizzzer posted:

Who's to say he didn't?

The fact that no one seemed to get why Wolverine was acting like a big weirdo when they all would have known it was going to happen sooner or later?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Have we abandoned spoiler tags? It's difficult to believe and unnecessary.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

TheJoker138 posted:

The fact that no one seemed to get why Wolverine was acting like a big weirdo when they all would have known it was going to happen sooner or later?

Why would he have to tell anyone, they already talked time travel, Hank said maybe its predestined and Xavier disagreed. He prob understood that telling everyone some guy from the future sent back by him, helped save everyone from the future, and rewrote time and space would seem pretty crazy. And he prob knows what happens in the future made by the humans from future Xavier(and should to later become Onslaught). So basically only Logan and Xavier know the whole story, the last times he asks Logan what he remembers, this sets the frame of Xavier storytelling for who knows how many movies set in between with most likely Logan without his memory again doing X-men stuff.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
It was a very short scene, and for all they know maybe Wolverine had too much to drink last night. I don't see how it's something worth nitpicking over, that's all.

Pattycakes
May 12, 2014

WHO WANTS A PATTYCAKE!?!
I saw this movie last night. I thought it did a great job of reviving the Xmen series. The biggest problem I have with the ending is that what is the point of having watched the previous Xmen movies? The stories will now never happen. I can't see any reason to watch them other than to understand background context.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ok the first movies represent timeline #1, by going back in time it creates a second timeline. Timeline #1 and timeline #2 coexist at the same time, as you can see at the end of timeline #1(in DOFP) everyone dies, the end. Timeline #2 was changed and it is still on going. So the stories of timeline #1 happened but are pretty much just retconned.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 23, 2014

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Glad to see Cyclops show up at the end. I hope in the next movie they have him and Havok in the same scene.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You should've just used the original.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wonder what mutant JFK's power was.

an interesting bit of additional info from before the movie
http://www.thebentbullet.com/#!/home

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 23, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Spacebump posted:

I wonder what mutant JFK's power was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7y2xPucnAo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Working at a comic shop, this film has been the hot topic today and the overwhelming opinion is positive but in a cynical way. And it seems like to X-Men fans it's really important that DOFP be a better film than ASM2.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pattycakes posted:

I saw this movie last night. I thought it did a great job of reviving the Xmen series. The biggest problem I have with the ending is that what is the point of having watched the previous Xmen movies? The stories will now never happen. I can't see any reason to watch them other than to understand background context.

Uh, the point of watching them would be that you enjoy watching them.

FYI all X-Men stories ever are imaginary.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
X-men movies are a documentary, and events happened in real time.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I really really enjoyed this and would put it up there with X2 as one of the better X films. I also really really enjoyed Soft Reboot, seriously that was great. I'm really glad Cyclops and Jean are back. We get the best X team next as well! Like seriously Beast, Collossus, Nightcrawler( I can hope), Wolverine, Cyclops, Iceman

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What was the song for the Quicksilver part?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

What was the song for the Quicksilver part?

Time in a Bottle by Jim Croce

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

Working at a comic shop, this film has been the hot topic today and the overwhelming opinion is positive but in a cynical way. And it seems like to X-Men fans it's really important that DOFP be a better film than ASM2.

What does this mean? Like 'that was great but I bet they gently caress it up again'?

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

Really?

Its not like he went on stage and had a mental breakdown or anything, he simply walked from his room to the Professors office and looked a bit gormless, I seriously doubt anybody even realised something had changed.

Falsey
Nov 21, 2010

The False Face mask scared younger viewers.
:anime: :pipe: :baby:
Having not seen an X-Men movie since the first one when I was about ten, and bits and pieces of others, I thought this was loving fantastic. I'd argue maybe better than The Avengers and just below The Dark Knight as far as superhero movies go.

And the only thing I didn't really follow was The guy in the ending/the scene in Paris where Logan freaks out. I mean I get that that was Mystique at the end but am I right in assuming the guy she was impersonating had something to do with Wolverine's claws being metal?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Falsey posted:

Having not seen an X-Men movie since the first one when I was about ten, and bits and pieces of others, I thought this was loving fantastic. I'd argue maybe better than The Avengers and just below The Dark Knight as far as superhero movies go.

And the only thing I didn't really follow was The guy in the ending/the scene in Paris where Logan freaks out. I mean I get that that was Mystique at the end but am I right in assuming the guy she was impersonating had something to do with Wolverine's claws being metal?

Stryker was the one who headed Weapon X, yeah.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I have a question about the ending: So they pull Wolverine out of the river and Stryker is Mystique. She obviously did not kill Stryker because the whole movie was about getting her not to kill people, but does this mean that in the normal timeline this would have been when Stryker took Wolverine to do experiments on him? And because Mystique is there instead, Stryker's experiments never happen? Wolverine obviously still has his memory of the original timeline so that kind of sucks for him, but now it does not happen a second time, I guess? There's no indication of whether or not Wolverine has adamantium on him in the new future.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

I have a question about the ending: So they pull Wolverine out of the river and Stryker is Mystique. She obviously did not kill Stryker because the whole movie was about getting her not to kill people, but does this mean that in the normal timeline this would have been when Stryker took Wolverine to do experiments on him? And because Mystique is there instead, Stryker's experiments never happen? Wolverine obviously still has his memory of the original timeline so that kind of sucks for him, but now it does not happen a second time, I guess? There's no indication of whether or not Wolverine has adamantium on him in the new future.

In the normal timeline Wolverine ended up in Vietnam in 1973, probably just after the events of this, where Stryker recruited him to Weapon X. Who the hell knows what happened here, because we don't see if he has his adamantium in the new timeline or not.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

I think this part is left as an intentional cliffhanger. You don't know for certain what happens to Wolverine and it'll probably be explained in the AoA storyline. I wouldn't be surprised if they left bone claw Wolverine as the defacto future Wolverine because in the comics there was a long period of time where this was the standard Wolverine

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So, hold on a sec That was Apocalypse and not some weird blue lady? Because he kinda looked like a lady. Or was it a lady? I was left super confused because I was expecting a big ol guy with a crazy blue jaw thing.

I want to let the film digest, but I think I really enjoyed it. Visually it was the worst thing I've seen since The Hobbit thanks to whatever camera dickery Singer was playing with. Man, it looked just dreadful. And I saw that it said 3D conversion, so I'm assuming only parts were filmed with this weird camera? I'd like to go into this further because it was the worst thing in the whole movie.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 24, 2014

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010
So a few storyline clarification questions I wanted to ask.

After Wolverine gets sent flying into the river, isn’t everything on Kitty’s end golden from there on? Was the whole “going to die by sentinel fire any second” scene necessary? Because after that, Wolverine is no longer affecting the actions of anyone in the past.

Also, (during the Stryker gets electrocuted scene) why would Wolverine suddenly have memory issues with Charles if he’s supposed to remember both timelines?

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008
I enjoyed that a lot. I think its probably my favorite X-men films, ahead of both X2 and First Class. It was messy at points, but overall there was just so much to love.

-The cast was uniformly stellar. They really have an embarassment of riches among their primary characters, from the central trio of McAvoy, Fassbender and Lawrence, to the ever reliable Stewart and McKellan, to Jackman, who somehow seems to be fitting the part of Wolverine better over time (including physically--his physique at this point isn't that far off from how he's drawn in the comics, apart from his height). Even minor, secondary parts like Trask and Beast were really elevated by terrific performances.

I-There were a couple of action scenes that in my opinion surpass anything else the X-men series has done so far. The Quicksilver scene in the kitchen tops even the Nightcrawler fight in X2 for sheer fun (Quicksilver in general was perfect), but I also thought that all the scenes of the future team of X-men fighting sentinels were great. The way they coordinated using their powers felt like a coordinated team of veterans, in a way that the X-men really haven't prior to this on screen. From charging up Bishop to all the Blink shenanigans (which made me really think we could use a Portal movie), it was just great to see a superhero teamfight executed like that.

-They retconned The Last Stand out of existence (and probably most of Origins as well), while providing interesting twists on the continuity elements they did keep, like Stryker. That makes me very, very happy, and interested in the series overall in a way that I haven't been since The Last Stand ruined it (First Class was very good, but there was always the shadow of knowing how it all ended in the Last Stand that left a bitter taste--now thats gone).

-The obvious hook for next movie is one that really interests me. No, not Apocalypse (who I've always found to be completely overrated as a villain). I'm talking Wolverine's whole "now you, Charles, must form the X-men with Scott, jean, Storm, etc", which Charles promised to do in their last scene together in the past. That really suggests we could be getting an X-men movie set in the 80's, with the McAvoy/Fassbender/Lawrence trio, set around Charles getting the gang together, and that would be awesome.

Yes, there were a few missteps--that was a lousy Nixon impression, and the pacing wasn't always on point--but overall I thought the good far outweighed the bad.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

So, hold on a sec That was Apocalypse and not some weird blue lady? Because he kinda looked like a lady. Or was it a lady? I was left super confused because I was expecting a big ol guy with a crazy blue jaw thing.

I want to let the film digest, but I think I really enjoyed it. Visually it was the worst thing I've seen since The Hobbit thanks to whatever camera dickery Singer was playing with. Man, it looked just dreadful. And I saw that it said 3D conversion, so I'm assuming only parts were filmed with this weird camera? I'd like to go into this further because it was the worst thing in the whole movie.

I thought the "EN SABAH NUR" chant and the four dudes on horses in the background made it pretty clear.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah well, I don't read the comics. I only know that character's code name or whatever it is. Maybe they should've hired a guy that looked kinda like that guy instead of a young kid. It just didn't really work for me or get me excited. But that doesn't affect the movie or anything. Just a minor issue.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah well, I don't read the comics. I only know that character's code name or whatever it is. Maybe they should've hired a guy that looked kinda like that guy instead of a young kid. It just didn't really work for me or get me excited. But that doesn't affect the movie or anything. Just a minor issue.

It's taking place literally two thousand years ago, when he was, even by our standards and not unaging mutant god standards, like 17 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008
One interesting twist on the comics:

Quicksilver is Magneto's son, per those hints...but it seemed to be strongly implied that Magneto's relationship with his mom was a fleeting thing that took place a while ago (and must have, at the very least, occured before Magneto was imprisoned).

In the last scene of Quicksilver, we saw him with a baby sibling, presumably implied to be Wanda...

Which would mean that Wanda is not Magneto's daughter in the movies, and is in fact only half-sister to Quicksilver, very different from being his twin.

And yes, Age of Ultron better deliver one helluva Quicksilver, because this movie just seriously raised the bar.

I think its also hilarious perfect that the X-men movies finally got their own convoluted, time travel-based retcon (that, of course, ended with Jean being resurrected), because that poo poo has become a core tradition in the comics.

literallyincredible fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 24, 2014

• Locked thread