Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

literallyincredible posted:

One interesting twist on the comics:

Quicksilver is Magneto's son, per those hints...but it seemed to be strongly implied that Magneto's relationship with his mom was a fleeting thing that took place a while ago (and must have, at the very least, occured before Magneto was imprisoned).

In the last scene of Quicksilver, we saw him with a baby sibling, presumably implied to be Wanda...

Which would mean that Wanda is not Magneto's daughter in the movies, and is in fact only half-sister to Quicksilver, very different from being his twin.

I just assumed that line was there as a joke. Interesting point about his sister though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Can some comic fan enlighten me as to exactly what Apocalypse's powers are?

Really enjoyed the film. Saw it in 2D and some of the brightly lit scenes looked a lot like video though. I wish more filmmakers would stick with film.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

qbert posted:

Can some comic fan enlighten me as to exactly what Apocalypse's powers are?

Really enjoyed the film. Saw it in 2D and some of the brightly lit scenes looked a lot like video though. I wish more filmmakers would stick with film.

He is the rocks of the eternal shore. Crash against him and be broken.

But seriously, he's immortal, unaging, etc. from having complete molecular control over his own body. And he's a technopath.

E: And your complaint about it looking like video seemed a stylistic choice to me. Most people can't tell the difference between film and video when all other things are equal at this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Supreme Allah posted:

What does this mean? Like 'that was great but I bet they gently caress it up again'?

They liked the movie but had lots of bad poo poo to say about it despite saying they liked it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheJoker138 posted:

E: And your complaint about it looking like video seemed a stylistic choice to me. Most people can't tell the difference between film and video when all other things are equal at this point.

I envy those people. I really do. It just looked like a High School production of X-Men using some neat sets and good lighting. Super, super distracting. Maybe I should've seen it in 3D. Oh we'll.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I envy those people. I really do. It just looked like a High School production of X-Men using some neat sets and good lighting. Super, super distracting. Maybe I should've seen it in 3D. Oh we'll.

You're not even complaining about what it was filmed on here, you are complaining about the lighting. Which was probably done to compensate for the 3D making everything darker.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No, I'm complaining about how the movie did not look like it was shot in 24fps. It looked cheap and video-y. Like they couldn't afford a camera that shoots in that frame rate. I don't see why they thought the movie should look like that unless it makes 3D better. It did remind me of The Hobbits 48 Fps down converted into 24. Good thing the movie was good enough to kinda look past it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I keep going over it and the future stuff just looked terrible. Every part of the 1973 stuff looked gorgeous while every flash forward looked like outtakes from Mortal Kombat 2.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

No, I'm complaining about how the movie did not look like it was shot in 24fps. It looked cheap and video-y. Like they couldn't afford a camera that shoots in that frame rate. I don't see why they thought the movie should look like that unless it makes 3D better. It did remind me of The Hobbits 48 Fps down converted into 24. Good thing the movie was good enough to kinda look past it.

Nothing about it looked like it was shot in a higher frame rate. Perhaps your theater has something hosed up with their projector.

E: Also, while digital cameras can almost all shoot in higher frame rates, I can't think of a single major film other than Hobbit to shoot in anything other than 23.7. Except for specialized things like slow motion shots.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 24, 2014

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Way Strong Pimphand posted:

So a few storyline clarification questions I wanted to ask.

After Wolverine gets sent flying into the river, isn’t everything on Kitty’s end golden from there on? Was the whole “going to die by sentinel fire any second” scene necessary? Because after that, Wolverine is no longer affecting the actions of anyone in the past.

Also, (during the Stryker gets electrocuted scene) why would Wolverine suddenly have memory issues with Charles if he’s supposed to remember both timelines?

1. The future doesn't change until Wolverine flips out too much/wakes up/the connection with Kitty is severed. Presumably either Wolverine's almost drowning did it or the Sentinels charring Kitty did it.

2. He didn't have memory issues. The time travel was malfunctioning because seeing Stryker was sending future-Logan into PTSD fits, so 1970s Logan took over his body again for a sec.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Little Mac posted:

1. The future doesn't change until Wolverine flips out too much/wakes up/the connection with Kitty is severed. Presumably either Wolverine's almost drowning did it or the Sentinels charring Kitty did it.

The future changes when Mystique averts killing Trask and prevents Magneto from doing so. Kitty was pretty much just wasting her time holding onto Wolverine's head at that point. She doesn't know that, though, so she keeps doing it.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

TheJoker138 posted:

He is the rocks of the eternal shore. Crash against him and be broken.

But seriously, he's immortal, unaging, etc. from having complete molecular control over his own body. And he's a technopath.

I know this about Apoc and it still confuses me what his powers are. He is just one of those guys that I consider OP as hell and awesome (largely contributed to his VA in the 90s series).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FYI most of what I know about X-Men is from the 90's cartoon. I was a little confused by them including Bishop in the movie since his part was pretty much written out.

I really enjoyed it and was glad that we got a happy ending.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheJoker138 posted:

Nothing about it looked like it was shot in a higher frame rate. Perhaps your theater has something hosed up with their projector.

E: Also, while digital cameras can almost all shoot in higher frame rates, I can't think of a single major film other than Hobbit to shoot in anything other than 23.7. Except for specialized things like slow motion shots.

I disagree. It looked very much like a video. Like something shot with 60fps or something in that nature. I know Singer wanted to do something like that, so perhaps he hosed with the shutter speed or did end up using something with a different frame rate. No idea. But I hated the way it looked.

E: Maybe it was my theater, but I don't know. A few people have mentioned it so I don't think it's just one dude's problem.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 24, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

This is probably the first X-men movie that wasn't complete, total, worthless garbage for idiots. It still looked like SyFy original movie (god drat the CG is down right terrible as the movies gets closer to the end), and the sentinels look like something you would see on a graphics card box in 2004, but I was at least entertained. The first half was actually good. Its a shame the 2nd half of the movie just becomes one loud, wet fart.

I'd recommend it over the travesty that is spiderman but waaaaaaay below captain america.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Dan Didio posted:

The future changes when Mystique averts killing Trask and prevents Magneto from doing so. Kitty was pretty much just wasting her time holding onto Wolverine's head at that point. She doesn't know that, though, so she keeps doing it.

No, totally. But it doesn't take officially take effect until they cut the connection - this is spelled out at the beginning of the film. So if Kitty had just been all "yeah, things are probably good" a few minutes earlier then future-Wolverine might not remember drowning so vividly.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Did Wolverine have the power to wake up on his own, or did he have to wait for Kitty's arms to fall off?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Little Mac posted:

No, totally. But it doesn't take officially take effect until they cut the connection - this is spelled out at the beginning of the film.
Do they actually say she has to break the connection? I don't remember that at all, but I thought both times it happens they're just about to be killed when they vanish. They don't actually get interrupted, nor does she stop it, that I recall.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Character that steals the movie: Needed way more Quicksilver. The jailbreak scene was one of the best/funniest action scenes in many years. What a great job they did with him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh God yes. Quicksilver owns. Even Peters owns. That scene was the moment the movie picked up for me. Absolutely perfect in it's execution.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
I have to say that I liked this one. There were a few story issues, but the acting was great, the plot kept me interested, and the action scenes were glorious to look at. In particular, I really liked having both the old and young Xavier and Magneto actors in the same movie.

One thing that bugged me. I know that continuity has never been one of this series' strong points, but has any behind the scenes information even attempted to explain why future Xavier is played by Patrick Stewart? Because when young Xavier read Wolverine's mind, we saw memories of killing Jean, so the original future timeline clearly includes the events of X-3. Which also include Xavier getting killed and transferring his mind into the body of some comatose guy. I'd be perfectly happy to forget about X-3, but it seems weird to explicitly reference a major event from that movie while completely ignoring a different major event.

While we're on the subject of continuity, I guess we're now just supposed to assume that the entire rest of franchise besides First Class never happened? Though I guess at least some of the events of X-1 took place, since Rogue and Wolverine end up at the X-mansion. The events of X-2 could also theoretically happen in some form, since Stryker apparently survived this movie. But X-3, and by extension The Wolverine, obviously got negated by time travel. Hopefully the Apocalypse movie will clear some of this stuff up. Or maybe not, given the track record this series has with continuity.

Also, the Quicksilver scene in the kitchen is one of the best things I've seen in a movie, ever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

an adult beverage posted:

Character that steals the movie: Needed way more Quicksilver. The jailbreak scene was one of the best/funniest action scenes in many years. What a great job they did with him.

I have a theory. That girl he was holding at the end was indeed his twin. He just aged at an accelerated rate. Obviously his mind developed quickly as well so he's not a total child.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Oh God yes. Quicksilver owns. Even Peters owns. That scene was the moment the movie picked up for me. Absolutely perfect in it's execution.

Peter/Quicksilver scenes are pretty much the only good moments in this movie. As soon as he's gone the movie basically falls apart and feels like I should be watching an ABC made-for-tv-original-film.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Did someone really say this film ripped off the Terminator? I wonder what sort of time traveling was done to do that since DOFP was published 2 years before the Terminator was released.

Yikes.

This movie owned. Future sentinels own.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Did someone really say this film ripped off the Terminator?

I think they were referring to the early 90s quality CG. A lot of it looked down right awful in this movie.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rhyno posted:

I have a theory. That girl he was holding at the end was indeed his twin. He just aged at an accelerated rate. Obviously his mind developed quickly as well so he's not a total child.

I could have sworn that that was an official explanation that was given at some point when the first couple stills of the two were released.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

INH5 posted:

I have to say that I liked this one. There were a few story issues, but the acting was great, the plot kept me interested, and the action scenes were glorious to look at. In particular, I really liked having both the old and young Xavier and Magneto actors in the same movie.

One thing that bugged me. I know that continuity has never been one of this series' strong points, but has any behind the scenes information even attempted to explain why future Xavier is played by Patrick Stewart? Because when young Xavier read Wolverine's mind, we saw memories of killing Jean, so the original future timeline clearly includes the events of X-3. Which also include Xavier getting killed and transferring his mind into the body of some comatose guy. I'd be perfectly happy to forget about X-3, but it seems weird to explicitly reference a major event from that movie while completely ignoring a different major event.

While we're on the subject of continuity, I guess we're now just supposed to assume that the entire rest of franchise besides First Class never happened? Though I guess at least some of the events of X-1 took place, since Rogue and Wolverine end up at the X-mansion. The events of X-2 could also theoretically happen in some form, since Stryker apparently survived this movie. But X-3, and by extension The Wolverine, obviously got negated by time travel. Hopefully the Apocalypse movie will clear some of this stuff up. Or maybe not, given the track record this series has with continuity.

Also, the Quicksilver scene in the kitchen is one of the best things I've seen in a movie, ever.

In the after credits scene of X3, Xavier has mind swapped with his brain dead twin brother and wakes up in Scotland with Moira McTaggert.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I think they were referring to the early 90s quality CG. A lot of it looked down right awful in this movie.

The opening looked just like Terminator 2, outside of some purple lights.

Although I did like how it mirrored X-Men 1's opening in the concentration camp a little bit. Kinda interesting.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Saw this this afternoon. I enjoyed it.

I want to go as far as to say that Michael Fassbender as Magneto is one of the most satisfying portrayals of a comic book character on film that I've ever seen. Save for Ledger's Joker, of course. All the scenes with Fassbender from this movie and First Class just sweep me right off of my nerd feet. He's so loving bad-rear end.

My biggest complaint, aside from any minor/major plot inconsistencies with the comics or whatever - which I don't really give a poo poo about, was that Trask had no real development or backstory. We are never made aware of any reason why he sees mutants as such a greater threat that needs to be eradicated. It would have been nice for there to have been some underlying reason for it. I think that there may have been some explanation hinted at in the painting above his desk but I'm still working that out in my head.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

TheJoker138 posted:

In the after credits scene of X3, Xavier has mind swapped with his brain dead twin brother and wakes up in Scotland with Moira McTaggert.

What he's asking is why does Xavier's brain dead twin brother not only look exactly like him (possible) but also share Xavier's severe spine injury that renders him unable to walk.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

Saw this this afternoon. I enjoyed it.

I want to go as far as to say that Michael Fassbender as Magneto is one of the most satisfying portrayals of a comic book character on film that I've ever seen. Save for Ledger's Joker, of course. All the scenes with Fassbender from this movie and First Class just sweep me right off of my nerd feet. He's so loving bad-rear end.

My biggest complaint, aside from any minor/major plot inconsistencies with the comics or whatever - which I don't really give a poo poo about, was that Trask had no real development or backstory. We are never made aware of any reason why he sees mutants as such a greater threat that needs to be eradicated. It would have been nice for there to have been some underlying reason for it. I think that there may have been some explanation hinted at in the painting above his desk but I'm still working that out in my head.

He literally says his motivation out loud. He thinks that mutants are a thing that will unite humanity against a common foe, and cause a lasting peace among humans as they hunt down the outsiders. He's Ozymandias from Watchmen but completely wrong about the outcome.

E:

AnonSpore posted:

What he's asking is why does Xavier's brain dead twin brother not only look exactly like him (possible) but also share Xavier's severe spine injury that renders him unable to walk.

Because anytime Xavier becomes able to walk again he is somehow paralyzed once more two minutes later. Let's just say that this time he slipped on a banana peel.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If you think this movie had early 90s quality CG, you don't remember what early 90s quality CG looks like.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Maybe brain dead twin brother's leg muscles had atrophied. Also he'd still be a 70+ year old man.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

TheJoker138 posted:

Because anytime Xavier becomes able to walk again he is somehow paralyzed once more two minutes later. Let's just say that this time he slipped on a banana peel.

I can easily accept that!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Spacebump posted:

90s quality CG

I originally was hunting for some scenes from Godzilla '98, but this gem came to mind. We only have to go back to 2009!

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Spacebump posted:

If you think this movie had early 90s quality CG, you don't remember what early 90s quality CG looks like.

Do you not remember? The dude who turned completely silver (colossus?) looked so bad I audibly laughed. The backgrounds look like they were straight out of phantom menace. A lot of it looked like cartoony garbage. Which is odd since the quicksilver scene looked amazing.

Vvv it gets really bad towards the end and that is spot on. The underground chamber background is hilarious. The CG "past" sentinels are far worse looking too.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 24, 2014

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Bonus!

You sure it was this bad? This looks like a free Chinese MMO.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

literallyincredible posted:

One interesting twist on the comics:

Quicksilver is Magneto's son, per those hints...but it seemed to be strongly implied that Magneto's relationship with his mom was a fleeting thing that took place a while ago (and must have, at the very least, occured before Magneto was imprisoned).

In the last scene of Quicksilver, we saw him with a baby sibling, presumably implied to be Wanda...

Which would mean that Wanda is not Magneto's daughter in the movies, and is in fact only half-sister to Quicksilver, very different from being his twin.

And yes, Age of Ultron better deliver one helluva Quicksilver, because this movie just seriously raised the bar.

I think its also hilarious perfect that the X-men movies finally got their own convoluted, time travel-based retcon (that, of course, ended with Jean being resurrected), because that poo poo has become a core tradition in the comics.

When Quicksilver mentioned his mother knew a guy who could move metal, I thought she meant Uri Geller. :doh:

TheJoker138 posted:

I remember the 90s X-Men cartoon had an episode where this suppression field takes away Xavier's powers but restores his mobility. It was so daft.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Do you not remember? The dude who turned completely silver (colossus?) looked so bad I audibly laughed. The backgrounds look like they were straight out of phantom menace. A lot of it looked like cartoony garbage. Which is odd since the quicksilver scene looked amazing.

Vvv it gets really bad towards the end and that is spot on. The underground chamber background is hilarious. The CG "past" sentinels are far worse looking too.

Next time you are using an example for early 90s CG, don't pick a movie that came out in 1999.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
I don't recall X3's coma guy looking exactly like Xavier, or even explicitly being related to him, but I'm not willing to rewatch that movie to check. So whatever, I'll go with it. And now that I think about it, someone not being able to walk after being in a coma for years is actually very plausible, given what is known about muscular atrophy. I don't know if still needing a wheelchair 10ish years later is accurate, but Xavier may not have had much time for physical therapy what with the sentinels running around killing everyone.

Also, can anyone else confirm whether Rogue was wearing gloves during the Good Future scene? I think she was, but I wasn't able to get a good look. Not that it really matters, since the mutant cure obviously isn't permanent, but I was just wondering.

• Locked thread