Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Next time you are using an example for early 90s CG, don't pick a movie that came out in 1999.

Terminator 2 came out in 1999?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

INH5 posted:

I don't recall X3's coma guy looking exactly like Xavier, or even explicitly being related to him, but I'm not willing to rewatch that movie to check. So whatever, I'll go with it. And now that I think about it, someone not being able to walk after being in a coma for years is actually very plausible, given what is known about muscular atrophy. I don't know if still needing a wheelchair 10ish years later is accurate, but Xavier may not have had much time for physical therapy what with the sentinels running around killing everyone.

Also, can anyone else confirm whether Rogue was wearing gloves during the Good Future scene? I think she was, but I wasn't able to get a good look. Not that it really matters, since the mutant cure obviously isn't permanent, but I was just wondering.

None of the poo poo with the mutant cure probably even happened in this time line. Mystique not being with Magneto changes a ton of stuff. It'll probably never be addressed though.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

TheJoker138 posted:

He literally says his motivation out loud. He thinks that mutants are a thing that will unite humanity against a common foe, and cause a lasting peace among humans as they hunt down the outsiders. He's Ozymandias from Watchmen but completely wrong about the outcome.

Ok, yes, you're right about that and I do remember drawing parallels to Ozymandias. But I also would have liked a little more reasoning on why he's so hellbent on uniting mankind. The painting of him and a girl in a wheelchair with a prosthetic leg is probably a clue. I just felt the character was just pretty matter-of-fact in a film where most of the main characters have fleshed out backgrounds and well understood motives.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Spacebump posted:

Next time you are using an example for early 90s CG, don't pick a movie that came out in 1999.

Does Blade 2 count? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTQghIn2vgQ Starts around 1:54~ till the end.
Scorpion King? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYHaarxQTFk It was '99, but still pretty drat bad. I remember their claim was, "our model of the Rock looks better than WrestleMania coming out that year for PlayStation". Good job.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

Ok, yes, you're right about that and I do remember drawing parallels to Ozymandias. But I also would have liked a little more reasoning on why he's so hellbent on uniting mankind. The painting of him and a girl in a wheelchair with a prosthetic leg is probably a clue. I just felt the character was just pretty matter-of-fact in a film where most of the main characters have fleshed out backgrounds and well understood motives.

I think that painting was mainly there to show what he was famous for before he decided to build murder bots. He legit thought he was helping mankind. It does feel like some of his scenes got left on the cutting room floor, though.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

TheJoker138 posted:

I think that painting was mainly there to show what he was famous for before he decided to build murder bots. He legit thought he was helping mankind. It does feel like some of his scenes got left on the cutting room floor, though.

Yeah that makes sense, too. A testament to his strong scientific background. His lack of depth doesn't make me hate the movie, just would have been nice for it to have more of a presence. I think that there was enough menace behind everything else going on that we didn't exactly need a ton of backstory, just having him glance longingly at an old photo or some hokey poo poo like that would have driven a smidge of humanity into him, something the character wanted to represent and protect so dearly.

The Sentinels themselves were pretty loving great at representing a real threat to mutants. Some people say that the scenes where characters like Iceman and Colossus dying were too much to bear but I thought they were just right in showing how much Sentinels couldn't be hosed with and needed to be stopped. It helped the inevitable "everything works out in the end anyway" climax to be a little more gripping.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This was really good. Brought a smile to my face. That ending was so beautiful. I want to see it again.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
I'm confused at why people are saying the CGI sucked. To me the movie looked great but I saw this at a brand new theater with a state of the art projection system. I didn't see any serious issues with the CGI. It looked a lot better than ASM's CGI. I think Winter soldier used more practical effects.

Most theaters in the U.S. are poo poo though except for maybe the few high end ones like Arclight so maybe it's an issue with quality projection in your podunk towns.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Alright, it's time for me to eat serious loving crow.

Just like every promotional thing about First Class made that film seem like a running gag instead of the fantastic thing it actually was, so too did everything leading up to DOFP make it look like an utter trainwreck...when instead it is actually one of the best films of the year. This is, on every level, a "First Class" instead of an "X3," in all the very best ways.

Okay, let's just be fair to me though: a lot of things in the film still look terrible. Mystique's makeup seems to get worse with every passing minute in every passing film, and at this point I'm honestly not sure how exactly they're making Beast look as horrible as he does. They've even managed to make Cyclops' shades, which had already been at hilarious fugly critical mass, look even worse than it used to!

Also, most of the scenes in the future simply weren't up to snuff with the scenes in the past. I just don't know what it is about the gaggle of leatherclad mutant cameo teams that makes their scenes so...cringeworthy and amateurish, but not even Blink being so awesome saves them from being so campy (mostly because other characters like Warpath and Storm drag her down so much with their pointlessness and lack of charm).

And is it just me or is young Magneto just extraordinarily dumb in this film for no particular reason? Everything he does, even down to the thing about him accidentally killing JFK when he was actually trying to save him (how????), felt like the actions of a man who couldn't plan more than two steps ahead to save his own life.

...But um...yeah, other than all that :v:, I really liked the film. No exaggeration, I think that scene of Xavier speaking to himself across time may be the most effective and moving film scene out of anything I've seen this year.

And that ending. Gods, even if I dislike this X-mythos, seeing the timeline set "right," seeing everything about this school being reset to the way it's all supposed to be with the students and teachers and Bobby and Rogue and Kitty and Pete :3: and with the original X-Men cast that set this whole show up back in the 2000 film...that was truly worthwhile. Apology for X3 accepted, Bryan Singer. Apology for X3 truly and well accepted.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I didn't like the scene where future Xavier talks to his past self. All he delivers are clichéd platitudes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cliche's aren't automatically a bad thing. It was a very nice scene done perfectly well by two really great actors.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

BrianWilly posted:

And that ending. Gods, even if I dislike this X-mythos, seeing the timeline set "right," seeing everything about this school being reset to the way it's all supposed to be with the students and teachers and Bobby and Rogue and Kitty and Pete :3: and with the original X-Men cast that set this whole show up back in the 2000 film...that was truly worthwhile. Apology for X3 accepted, Bryan Singer. Apology for X3 truly and well accepted.

Why would Bryan Singer apologize for a film he didn't direct?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Man, the deaths in all the dark future scenes were real fuckin' brutal. Those neosentinels don't gently caress around. I loved the momentum trick that Blink did at that one point, though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HorseRenoir posted:

He left X3 to do Superman Returns. Which left Matthew Vaughn in charge, but he left due to Fox trying to rush it out before Superman Returns, thus nabbing Bratner. So it's kind of his fault. But only kind of. A weird sequence of events from lovely rear end people.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ferrinus posted:

Man, the deaths in all the dark future scenes were real fuckin' brutal. Those neosentinels don't gently caress around. I loved the momentum trick that Blink did at that one point, though.

The best part is that due to time shenanigans most of them died twice in the same movie.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Baron Bifford posted:

I didn't like the scene where future Xavier talks to his past self. All he delivers are clichéd platitudes.
YOU'RE SO WRONG The thing is, to me, that the character didn't really "click" until that moment, mostly because the McAvoy Xavier really couldn't remind anyone of Patrick Stewart if his life depended on it. But that interaction, and particularly with the "Bearing their pains will make you stronger; your greatest power is to shoulder others' burdens and to guide them through it" speech, it really was as if all of a sudden the character just snapped into place and it's like, ah. I get you now. I know that feel, bro. That's Professor X. That approach to Xavier kind of plumbs his depths in ways that even the comics rarely do, between trying to make him morally shady or killing him off all the time. And I'm always delighted when the film adaptations can make me prefer their version of the characters to the originals.

HorseRenoir posted:

Oh I don't blame him for X3, but I'm pretty sure the whole premise of this film serves as a sort of apology for X3. I think Singer himself, or one of the other filmmakers, might have even said it at one point.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

YOU'RE SO WRONG The thing is, to me, that the character didn't really "click" until that moment, mostly because the McAvoy Xavier really couldn't remind anyone of Patrick Stewart if his life depended on it. But that interaction, and particularly with the "Bearing their pains will make you stronger; your greatest power is to shoulder others' burdens and to guide them through it" speech, it really was as if all of a sudden the character just snapped into place and it's like, ah. I get you now. I know that feel, bro. That's Professor X. That approach to Xavier kind of plumbs his depths in ways that even the comics rarely do, between trying to make him morally shady or killing him off all the time. And I'm always delighted when the film adaptations can make me prefer their version of the characters to the originals.
Oh I don't blame him for X3, but I'm pretty sure the whole premise of this film serves as a sort of apology for X3. I think Singer himself, or one of the other filmmakers, might have even said it at one point.

I'd call it less of an apology for X3 and more of a "gently caress you" to X3.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Saw it and throughly enjoyed it. Especially Magneto was great, I liked that they didn't even try to go the anti hero route with him. Also, the screen time was really well balanced between the different characters. Baring the future scene, which admittedly came across as something of an afterthought, every character got time to shine. Even Trask, who I thought would be the weakest part of the movie, ended up being a pretty great, if not central, addition.I also really liked that we for once got a motivation other than just plain hating mutants because of xenophobia.

Plus, I think he genuinely delivered the greatest super villain moment we had so far. I don't mean that as any kind of slap against Avengers or any of the other Marvel movies. but the entire last act was really something straight out of a comic book. It was grand, it was megalomaniac, it fit perfectly with the character's motivations and really showed just how drat powerful Magneto can be.

The only thing that kind of confused me is that I am not sure who is going to star in the next movie, the future or old X-Men. Since most of the future stuff was probably just cameo appearances, it would make sense to have it 1970 X-men again, but that would basically make all the new characters they introduced superfluous and the entire timeline reset kind of pointless. Also, the only character that is basically guaranteed to be in it is Jackman's Wolverine. Not to mention that 1970's X-men are currently down to Xavier and Hank. With Apocalypse, it could again have timetravel, but I am still not sure how they are going to handle it.

e X fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 24, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I disagree. It looked very much like a video. Like something shot with 60fps or something in that nature. I know Singer wanted to do something like that, so perhaps he hosed with the shutter speed or did end up using something with a different frame rate. No idea. But I hated the way it looked.

E: Maybe it was my theater, but I don't know. A few people have mentioned it so I don't think it's just one dude's problem.
I'm very sensitive to things like this and didn't notice anything weird, and I watched it with a guy whose is in film production, and he didn't notice anything strange. So it's just you/your screening.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm very sensitive to things like this and didn't notice anything weird, and I watched it with a guy whose is in film production, and he didn't notice anything strange. So it's just you/your screening.

No, I noticed it too. Most of the movie looked perfectly fine, but it's most glaring during the daytime scenes at the mansion in the 1970s. Maybe it's because it seems like we both watched it in 2D?

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
The thing was shot on digital, and it's noticeable, you can really see it in the motion when Beast and Wolverine clash in the mansion hall. But other than a few scenes the film looked great, even the future crap. Got a free screening today at work and I enjoyed it immensely the 2nd time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Other people mentioned this as well. It's not just me.

http://news.moviefone.com/2014/05/22/x-men-days-of-future-past-review/(This isn't a review, but just a frame of refrence for people who had similar problems with the film's visuals as I did)

But I do recall that Fright Night and Resident Evil 4 looked similar in some scenes as well. I think it might be a strange combo of the 3D cameras and possibly my theater. But hey, glad to see it's just on my end. I hope any way. I'll check it out again elsewhere, maybe it'll look better.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Man I loving loved this movie. X-cellent. X-ceptional. X-fuckinghellyes.

Quicksilver was the best. Funny how when pictures first came out of Peter everyone's initial reaction was going to be that the film was turning into garbage. How wrong we all were, and I'm so glad for it. I'm glad that this movie retconned out X3, even if that means X1 and X2 were both kind of chopped out as well. I can still watch those two and now just totally ignore X3 and everything will still be just fine :)

As for people talking about the time period of the next film, I believe Singer has already confirmed that X-men:Apocalypse will be taking place in the 80s. I want it to have a Giant Sized feel :)

And the people complaining about the CG are crazy. Movie rules. I loved all the little details you could pick up on, like Xavier's future chair being a hoverchair like in the cartoons, finding a way to use time travel as a part of Bishop's character, the rebar going through Wolverine looking a WHOLE LOT like when Magneto is ripping out his adamantium in the comics, allusions to Magneto maybe being Quicksilver's pops, Stryker, Rogue's supertiny cameo, re-doing Toad, EN SABAH loving NUR. I can't wait to see this movie again!!

As for Wolvie's claws in the future being metallic, whats to say he didn't get them remade? The future in DOFP is set 10 years after The Wolverine, so who knows?

edit:

Hakkesshu posted:

So was that actually Kelsey Grammer in-make up at the end there? It was definitely his voice, but I couldn't tell otherwise.

Yep, it was! He's uncredited but listed on IMDB for the part.

edit+: one last thing, anyone else LOVE the soundtrack? At some points I was really getting a 70's John Carpenter vibe.

berserker fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 24, 2014

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
I didn't like the over-presence of some characters in the trailer as compared to the actual film. Why was there not more Bobby Drake, Toad, or Colossus? I know the X-Men comic book/film series has a lot of characters to cover, but I felt the under representation of some was reminiscent of Mortal Kombat Annihilation.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
When Wolverine wakes up in the new 2033 timeline at the end, shouldn't everyone (dead characters who are now alive, included) be 30 years older than they were at the time of X3? Yet Scott and Jean look like they haven't aged a day. (Same goes for Kitty, Bobby, Storm, Beast, Colossus and Rogue etc;etc). Also, Xavier should have been in his mid 90's.

Weird.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
X-3 came out in 2006 but it's time period was set in "the near future", and DOFP's future is in 2023, so it could easily only be 10 years between the two.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

berserker posted:

X-3 came out in 2006 but it's time period was set in "the near future", and DOFP's future is in 2023, so it could easily only be 10 years between the two.

Oh, okay. That makes sense. I had the future date wrong, it would seem.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Am I overthinking this or did a perfectly pleasant Wolverine get forcibly mind-wiped out of existence and replaced by an alternate universe consciousness of himself? That's got to suck.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Maybe Charles could kind of 'save' the old Woverines experiences and transfer at least some part of them to him once he returns?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Am I overthinking this or did a perfectly pleasant Wolverine get forcibly mind-wiped out of existence and replaced by an alternate universe consciousness of himself? That's got to suck.

Honestly, it's best not to think about it but I took it as

It's all you. There may be two of you going simultaneously, but once the future is changed and you wake up, everything falls back into place. 70's Logan will continue to exist, but on his new path, but only Future Logan remembers that he went back in time at all. As I typed this, I realized what I said makes no sense, so I'm going with my first statement and say it's best not to think about it. But I'm pretty sure Past Logan isn't written out of existence.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm pretty sure Wolverine is going to be a grumpy rear end in a top hat either way

As for the movie, it was pretty good, but I was a little taken aback by the gratuitous violence in the future scenes. Some of that poo poo could have been a cut away, but i'm probably just too squeamish.

I was also severely disappointed they didn't play Magneto's theme song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwDD5hAdCs8

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Watched this yesterday and loved it. Then had a bunch of dreams with Michael Fassbender in them.

....I guess I better go see it again.

:swoon:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Great film. Makes me so glad that Marvel/Disney don't have the rights to the X-Men.

Also, Warpath was played by a man named Booboo Stewart.

There is a grown man out there named "Booboo".

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I think it's just a stage name. His real name is Nils.

gannyGrabber posted:

[spoiler] As for the movie, it was pretty good, but I was a little taken aback by the gratuitous violence in the future scenes. Some of that poo poo could have been a cut away, but i'm probably just too squeamish.
It was necessary to show just how bad their situation was. At least there was little blood.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Baron Bifford posted:

Really? Of all the names in existence, he chose "Booboo"? He could've at least gone with "Yogi".

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

BrianWilly posted:

Okay, let's just be fair to me though: a lot of things in the film still look terrible. Mystique's makeup seems to get worse with every passing minute in every passing film, and at this point I'm honestly not sure how exactly they're making Beast look as horrible as he does. They've even managed to make Cyclops' shades, which had already been at hilarious fugly critical mass, look even worse than it used to!

This is for two reasons, 1) they're billing Jennifer Lawrence and somebody from behind a studio desk gave an order not to put prosthetics or heavy makeup on the recognizable part of her face, I can promise you, leaving us with just a lame blue-painted face; and 2) this time it's a body suit designed to reduce discomfort on the actor and shorten the amount of time spent in the makeup chair. It disappoints me too, but I understand why the decisions were made.

I'm finding a lot of the complaints about this film either uninformed, or lacking for a better thing to complain about. Do people really have that hard of a time with something being not bad? The CG isn't bad by any standard. The picture is not low quality, or filmed at a strange framerate that affected the picture apart from Quicksilver's sequence which was filmed on a Phantom.

The future violence was exactly what it needed to be to show you how that future was. Sure not everyone enjoys seeing that sort of thing, but you can't fault the film because you bring that into the theatre with you.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 24, 2014

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
As for Trask's motivations, it could easily be Vietnam and war fatigue. Wanting to unite mankind after such a bloody and pointless war isn't that far fetched. I just wish they would have actually come out and said so in the movie.

Also the two simultaneous end battles had me on the edge of my seat. Other than the soon to be infamous Quicksilver scene, the future scenes in this movie probably have some of the most fun with super powers ever put to film.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
You have to also consider that Trask being a dwarf has put him at odds with his own species for probably his entire life, and rallying them against a common enemy makes him (and all humans, regardless of things like race or handicap) very much part of humanity for once in his life. I'm pretty sure Singer or Dinklage said explicitly in an interview that was part of the casting decision.

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

It was necessary to show just how bad their situation was. At least there was little blood.

The overall bloodlessness of this movie was a bit jarring at points. I mean, its one thing for there to be the standard "this dude got shot yet there's only a tiny bloodspot because this is PG-13" stuff, and when somone transformed into an inorganic substane (Colossus, Iceman, Sunspot) dies there can plausibly be no blood...

But Wolverine having steel poles forcibly driven throughout his entire body, and barely bleeding at all? Felt a bit off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Detective No. 27 posted:

Did Wolverine have the power to wake up on his own, or did he have to wait for Kitty's arms to fall off?

He only wakes up if Kitty wakes him up or he experiences too much turbulence in the past.

Dan Didio posted:

Do they actually say she has to break the connection? I don't remember that at all, but I thought both times it happens they're just about to be killed when they vanish. They don't actually get interrupted, nor does she stop it, that I recall.

Kitty explains it at the beginning of the movie. They don't use that wording, but it's simply that the future doesn't change until Future Wolverine leaves the past. So if the Sentinels showed up and fried them an hour earlier, it might've been prior to Xavier/Beast/Logan arriving in Washington and may have resulted in a different future. Time isn't relative here, it seems.

• Locked thread