Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

:siren:
Watch Chosen for FREE on Crackle.com :siren:

Say hello to the one good show that you probably haven't seen yet. If you happen to be a fan of The Booth at the End, this show also explores the theme of the lengths people will go to protect those that they love. Season 3 adds Rose McGowan to the cast as a veteran player who has enlisted her two children as assistant killers in order to keep her family alive.

Consisting of six half-hour episodes per season, Chosen is a tightly written thriller that will consistently surprise even the most jaded television watchers. Also, Crackle is free, so you don't even need :filez: to watch it.

"wikipedia posted:

Ch:os:en is an action-adventure television series starring Milo Ventimiglia and directed by Ryan Lewis and Ben Ketai, airing on Crackle. The first season consisted of 6 episodes released simultaneously, on January 17th 2013. Crackle announced on April 30, 2014 dthat the show has been renewed for a fourth season.

Ian Mitchell (Milo Ventimiglia) is a small time defense lawyer struggling to raise his daughter in the aftermath of a messy divorce from Laura Mitchell (Nicky Whelan). His life is uprooted when he discovers an intricate box left at his doorstep. Inside the box is a gun, a photo of a stranger, and simple instructions to “expire” this person in 3 days. Before Ian can wonder if this box is some sick prank the bullets begin to fly. Someone is also trying to kill him. Ian has been 'chosen' to join a secret, deadly game that is happening all around us every day – but few will ever know. This is the beginning of an adrenalized life-or-death ride that will change Ian’s life forever and force him to decide what is most important to him.

Since this show airs on Crackle (which is Sony's version of Netflix), all six episodes are released at once.

uh zip zoom fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

I'm going to bump this thread because this show is awesome and needs more exposure. I swear I won't do it often.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Just watched the first two episodes and it's very cool. I love that the episodes are 22 minutes: it keeps things moving along very quickly, Although it really is more of a movie than it is a tv series.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
This show is incredibly intense and I love the camera work. Seasons are also very short, so there's really no reason not to watch this. It does in two short seasons what most shows do in three regular ones. No filler, just pure balls to the walls craziness.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Jayisspecial posted:

This show is incredibly intense and I love the camera work. Seasons are also very short, so there's really no reason not to watch this. It does in two short seasons what most shows do in three regular ones. No filler, just pure balls to the walls craziness.

I agree. Not since the days of The Shield and Battlestar Galactica have I said "This. loving. Show." so often. I'm usually ok at predicting plot twists and the like but this show definitely kept me on my toes.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
drat, you guys are making this sound pretty drat good. Gonna give it a look.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

-Blackadder- posted:

drat, you guys are making this sound pretty drat good. Gonna give it a look.

It's short.
It's free.
It's awesome.

Absolutely nothing to lose…

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I just finished the first 2 seasons and it's pretty good. Definitely worth a watch.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just finished the second season. A bit weaker than the first (watching people run from the game is a lot less interesting than watching people playing it), but overall still a really great show. I probably would have never even heard of it, so thanks for making this thread.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Just finished season 3. That was quite an ending. I wish season 4 was out already to see where things are headed now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cantaloupe posted:

Just finished the second season. A bit weaker than the first (watching people run from the game is a lot less interesting than watching people playing it), but overall still a really great show. I probably would have never even heard of it, so thanks for making this thread.

Season 3 was the best so don't worry. People playing the game, and people playing the game and not giving any fucks.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Cantaloupe posted:

TV threads aren't really my thing, typically. I know that season four has been greenlit, and I would love any input, ideas, and constructive criticism on how I can make season 4's thread better.

Also I have a personal connection to one of the creators. He used to live down the street from me growing up, before he moved to LA, and his parents and my parents are still friends to this day. Would it be appropriate to act as an intermediary, allowing you guys to ask him any questions you may have?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's very strange to watch a 22 minute action/drama, I'm so used to them being 45 mins. Basically each season of this show would be 3 episodes of a regular hour long network drama. Most network dramas to 20-24(!!!) episodes per season, so it's pretty cool to see the format broken and actually done WELL. You could cut the episodes together and watch them like a feature film I bet. Jacob at the cabin took me by COMPLETE surprise and the family with the safe room is loving awesome. The mom chasing the other mom down the street was so tense, the whole time you're thinking SHOOT HER! but when she stops to do it her hands are so shaky.

It must be strange being an actor on a thing like this. The performances are so good like the nerdy crying guy who was going to shoot Jacob before the other hunter shows up and starts shooting at crying guy. The scene later on when crying guy is in his car, alive but having missed his deadline before being taken away by EMTs was just nuts. Really good acting. Then there are other, very popular shows that never even approach that type of believability with their cast. Never mind bit players. I mean the first episode has OSWALD in a serious role. Sold.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

:siren: If you have any questions for the creators, feel free to ask them now! :siren:

Ryan Lewis posted:

That's awesome! Send me anything and I or my co-creator (Ben, who wrote all 3 seasons and directed the first two) will answer as much as we can. We're getting ready to jump in on season 4 in the coming weeks, so now's an open time before we're slammed with development on it. Super cool man, thanks!

Go to town, you curious goons. :toot:

Edit: I will do everything I can to make sure these questions get to Ryan and Ben and their responses get back to you guys as soon as possible. It may take a minute for the turnaround on the responses, so don't freak out or anything.

uh zip zoom fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 2, 2014

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Okay, I get it. The show is great but the thread is a turd. How can I improve this so that this show gets the exposure it deserves?

It's probably due to the threads lack of exposure, but I'm surprised that there are no questions for the show's creators. I don't know Ben, but Ryan Lewis is really excited about the possibility of communicating with potential fans.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I got a question I guess. Were they influenced by the comic 100 bullets? There are some similarities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Bullets

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
I'd like to know if this show was shopped around to the bigger networks before ending up on Crackle, or if it was only an idea possible to carry out on crackle. They got some really great actors for this.

Jayisspecial fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 9, 2014

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

uh zip zoom posted:

Okay, I get it. The show is great but the thread is a turd. How can I improve this so that this show gets the exposure it deserves?

It's probably due to the threads lack of exposure, but I'm surprised that there are no questions for the show's creators. I don't know Ben, but Ryan Lewis is really excited about the possibility of communicating with potential fans.

Eh, it's not the thread, I just don't have too many questions. Heaps of praise, though.

Was it ever an option to do 3 43 minute episodes instead of 6 22? Is this something that was experimented with because it's on Crackle, or was it also shopped to TV networks as a 22 minute action/drama? Are the Watchers really running the game? Or is there a level above them?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I think the length actually works very well. It's longer than the standard webseries these days (5-15 minutes) so you can get a fair amount of story, but it still manages to have tight pacing.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I got a question I guess. Were they influenced by the comic 100 bullets? There are some similarities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Bullets

I got an answer:

Ryan Lewis posted:

First question: Nope! Neither of us have ever read 100 Bullets. I can't speak for Ben, but I myself only heard of it from this very question. We've had plenty of influences though, both story wise and stylistically. We're huge Fincher fans, The Game of course being a big influence. It all started from just the basic concept of a random person getting a box with a gun and a photo, then being shot at and running for his life, which is of course still the very beginning of the show. From there, we just tried to create the most exciting story to keep people watching.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Jayisspecial posted:

I'd like to know if this show was shopped around to the bigger networks before ending up on Crackle, or if it was only an idea possible to carry out on crackle. They got some really great actors for this.

Hope this helps:

Ryan Lewis posted:

Q2: Crackle is actually the first and only place we ever pitched the show. It really started for us as a feature concept and, as we dug in, revealed a bigger world that we could sink our teeth into. So as we started to shift our focus to a show, we saw what was happening in the digital landscape and wanted to be early adopters. When the opportunity came to work with Crackle, we jumped and never questioned it. As for the actors, we've been really lucky to get such great people who are so all-in for the show - much thanks to Ben's writing and directing of course. I can't say enough good things about the cast all around.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

homo punching bag posted:

Was it ever an option to do 3 43 minute episodes instead of 6 22? Is this something that was experimented with because it's on Crackle, or was it also shopped to TV networks as a 22 minute action/drama? Are the Watchers really running the game? Or is there a level above them?

Apparently the other shows on Crackle have this format.

Ryan Lewis posted:

Q3: If you're asking personally, to us it didn't matter. We would have told the story in 12 11 minute episodes or 22 6 minute episodes. It was a format driven by Crackle's platform, and we loved it specifically because it forced us to keep the show tight and edge-of-your-seat drama. We literally don't have any time to spare - or breathe for that matter. As for the Watchers part of the question, I could tell you, but then the Fixers would come for me!

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I've only watched the first episode, but there's a new series on Crackle called Sequestered that seems interesting.

http://www.crackle.com/c/sequestered/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Xandu posted:

I've only watched the first episode, but there's a new series on Crackle called Sequestered that seems interesting.

http://www.crackle.com/c/sequestered/

4 minutes in and Perd from Parks and Rec is the courtroom reporter. My immersionnnnnnn:argh:

• Locked thread