Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
My parents recently inherited 100 K (CAD), and want to use this money to supplement their income over the next 7 years until my dad can retire at 65 and he starts collecting his pension. The reason is that my dad recently had lymphoma, and so he is slowing down in terms work (he's an auto mechanic), and so my mom would like him to have the option of not working, and just use her income (about 24 K or something) plus this 100 K until their retirement stuff kicks in when he's 65 in 7 years.

They would like to take about 1 K a month out of this 100 K pot over the next 7 years (84 K), and the question is: how should this be invested? The snake oil salesmen at their bank want them to put it into some highly-managed fund so that they can make maximum profit off of it, but I doubt that's the best option.

Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Something like Vanguard Target Retirement Income fund could be reasonable - it is 70% bonds / 30% stocks. You could get more conservative with something like 50% cash / 35% bonds / 15% stocks. There's probably no reason to look beyond those three instruments (cash, broad stock market index fund, broad bond market index fund).

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Vanguard also has managed payout funds, which will distribute a percentage of the portfolio on a monthly basis. However, I think the largest payout is 7.8%, which is roughly 2/3s of the amount that you're parents were hoping to get.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

slap me silly posted:

Something like Vanguard Target Retirement Income fund could be reasonable - it is 70% bonds / 30% stocks. You could get more conservative with something like 50% cash / 35% bonds / 15% stocks. There's probably no reason to look beyond those three instruments (cash, broad stock market index fund, broad bond market index fund).

Why cash over the can version of TIPS?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Assuming you mean 5 year TIPS, sure why not? I probably wouldn't because I'm not that worried about inflation in the short term and I understand cash better. But I ain't he.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005
What about an annuity? The could fund an annuity and take a period certain payout of 7 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
Annuity doesn't help if inflation hits afaik. Assuming the plan is to take $1k a month in inflation adjusted terms I'd split it between cash and TIPS, not sure of the best ratio though.

edit: Also, I would stay the gently caress out of the stock market. You're not gunning for real returns here, it sounds like you are just trying to avoid losing money to inflation. If you put the money in the stock market there is a large risk that your parents will not meet their goal of $1k inflation adjusted per month for 7 years.

• Locked thread