Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

myron cope posted:

Isn't Dropbox "hosted somewhere"? Lastpass has a page here https://lastpass.com/whylastpass_technology.php with a bunch of info about it

But you don't really have access to the hosted files and have no idea how secure they are.

KeePass+Dropbox is much better IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Nokiaman posted:

But you don't really have access to the hosted files and have no idea how secure they are.

KeePass+Dropbox is much better IMO

LastPass uses locally encrypted files, so even if someone were to crack into the server, they couldn't get your data.

Anyway, using Dropbox if you want account security? :lol:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

LastPass uses locally encrypted files, so even if someone were to crack into the server, they couldn't get your data.

Well, LastPass says they encrypt locally with a key they don't have. If you're paranoid enough, that's not a great guarantee.

Granted, you can use the non-binary extension and audit the javascript yourself, but that's only useful for the web browser on the desktop and only good for that version of the extension.

In a completely objective sense, you can more strongly guarantee your password security by encrypting your own passwords, printing them out in their encrypted form, and carrying them around with you. There's a continuum between best security and convenience, and for my money LastPass sets right in the sweet spot of that continuum and is why I've been using them for years.

edit: oh, I also forgot they released the source for the CLI tool. So a compromise might be to nerd out and only use that.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 9, 2015

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Whatever floats your boat I guess. I'd trust them more.
I can also easily delete the file whenever I want :)

Nokiaman fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 9, 2015

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Any suggestions for multiple desktops on Windows 7?

I've been using Desktops but it doesn't support multiple browser instances (or at least, not with Chrome) plus apparently it stopped being supported ages ago.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Well, Dropbox is only used for transporting the encrypted database. There are plenty of options in the database creation tool itself to satisfy all tinfoil hat wearing people:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Something I use is puush

It is like Microsoft's snip it tool, only much better,. You can make keyboard shortcuts to select a portion of the screen or the whole screen. But it also automatically uploads the image to the puush server and it also saves the image locally.
Its free. but you do need to make an account.

Or do you guys know of a better tool?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I use Greenshot for taking screengrabs.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, I went through a bunch of these tools and I eventually settled on this.

I'm not sure if its because it was legitimately better for my needs, or I just got tired of evaluating options...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Riders of Brohan posted:

Can anyone recommend a program to download the audio off of a youtube clip? I've looked into a few programs, but the ones I'm seeing have issues with spyware, or low audio quality.

Thanks!

A bit late to this one. Had to get on my PC to remember what it was called and I forgot. There's a ton of programs like this, most cost money or are full of spyware. It took a lot of sifting through bs on google but I really like freemake videodownloader. It's inuitive and easy to use with lots of options

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_downloader/

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Fart of Presto posted:

Well, Dropbox is only used for transporting the encrypted database. There are plenty of options in the database creation tool itself to satisfy all tinfoil hat wearing people:

I found KeePass kind of clunky to use so I went with LastPass.

Inspector_666 posted:

Sadly, looks like the downloads for this are broken right now :(

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 17, 2015

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I'm looking for an alarm clock application that can switch audio devices before the alarm goes off. Does this exist? If not, is there any other way of accomplishing this?

EDIT: After some searching I found this thing: http://www.daveamenta.com/2011-05/programmatically-or-command-line-change-the-default-sound-playback-device-in-windows-7/ (works fine in Windows 8.1)

Then I made Task Scheduler run that a few seconds before the alarm goes off. I guess it works, but I'd be happy if there was a less cumbersome way

Kevin Bacon fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 22, 2015

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Kevin Bacon posted:

I'm looking for an alarm clock application that can switch audio devices before the alarm goes off. Does this exist? If not, is there any other way of accomplishing this?

I don't know how, but I think Tasker is your best shot.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
So a friend of mine (not my GF) is running Win 8.1. To quote her "I take nine meds in the morning, four in the evening and eleven at night" - the why is a bit complicated and not relevant.

Annnyway, she's looking for a *freeware* application for 8.1 that can be an alarm clock and remind her to take her meds at the appropriate times. Me being a friendly goon, I offered to post here and see if anybody had any ideas.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Spacewolf posted:

So a friend of mine (not my GF) is running Win 8.1. To quote her "I take nine meds in the morning, four in the evening and eleven at night" - the why is a bit complicated and not relevant.

Annnyway, she's looking for a *freeware* application for 8.1 that can be an alarm clock and remind her to take her meds at the appropriate times. Me being a friendly goon, I offered to post here and see if anybody had any ideas.
There's a metro app called alarm that comes with Windows that you can use to set up multiple alarms.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Oooh, useful, I'll suggest that.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Spacewolf posted:

I'd recommend not using a PC-based application because what if she's not in front of her computer all the time (hey it could happen). How about something like this: http://www.mymedschedule.com/ web based with SMS/email reminders?

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
Yeah, the Metro alarm app is OK if your computer is awake at the time the notifications appear, but otherwise they're gone. The built-in calendar app might be more useful, set up a recurring event at a certain time each day, set it to remind at event start, and it'll show up on the lock screen with a notification and on any other devices that can get her calendar.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does she not have a phone? Even a non-smartphone would probably be better for this kinda thing.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

MikeJF posted:

Does she not have a phone? Even a non-smartphone would probably be better for this kinda thing.

It would be worth buying a cheap android phone or even a second hand one off ebay and leaving it plugged into the charger for all these alerts than rely on Windows for something like that, in my opinion. Since it then only has to do that one thing, and you can take it anywhere and not care too much about it. Using a desktop PC as a convoluted alarm clock is certainly more than possible, but it just seems a bit weird.

Also, to continue a reply to the original post, you don't necessarily need any applications for this, freeware or otherwise, since you can just use Windows' built in Task Scheduling, it's dead easy to create a basic task that'll throw up a message box. If that's too low key, I'm sure you could just get it to start a programme that plays a sound.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 2, 2015

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Spacewolf posted:

IMO don't gently caress around with Windows when it comes to life critical things like medicating. Get her a watch with multiple alarms, like this $15 Casio.

Software fails, get a dedicated machine for the job. $.02

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Anything that'll tell me what's hogging all my resources and driving my CPU fans up? or is the task manager via ctrl alt delete good enough? I already have CPU temp for monitoring the temps but mine have been all over the place recently.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Anything that'll tell me what's hogging all my resources and driving my CPU fans up? or is the task manager via ctrl alt delete good enough? I already have CPU temp for monitoring the temps but mine have been all over the place recently.

I don't have a clue besides the fact that you may be mining buttcoins for the Russian mob. Check your power bill. 📡

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I had utorrent too like an idiot. I'm not one of those people that leave their PC on 24/7 though

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
uTorrent recently included a Bitcoin miner with itself if you left auto updates on, so yeah, I imagine those two things are probably related.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

The built-in task manager will show you any rogue processes. Malware that attaches to existing processes needs Process Explorer or something so you can really look into what stuff is doing.

If it's a miner, you should be able to see it on the processes list from the task manager, EpicScale is the actual mining application.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 9, 2015

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of a free "Building Plan" software?

By that I mean software that lets me design simple rooms (walls, doors, etc.) and add furniture to it.

We're moving to a new office and I'd like to start laying out where all our current furniture is gonna go.

I'm currently using MagicPlan for iOS, but I'd rather have something that uses a mouse and keyboard.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

By that I mean software that lets me design simple rooms (walls, doors, etc.) and add furniture to it.

We're moving to a new office and I'd like to start laying out where all our current furniture is gonna go.

I'm currently using MagicPlan for iOS, but I'd rather have something that uses a mouse and keyboard.

SketchUp.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sweet Home 3D is supposedly pretty good, too.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

LastPass doesn't seem to have anything legally binding saying they have your data locked up PCI-style*, and between the comedy penalties you get as a corporate lawbreaker in the US and the kind of assholes you've got in the US government working against citizen computer society :pattern: it's hard to say that would be sufficient assurance if you're Seriousemph about computer security - but it's better than your cousin's password book in the third drawer on the left, and it's something that just about anyone can do to secure their accounts. I just wish actual accreditation/bond/auditing of personal computer security brokers would get worked out before some sort of identity theft-ageddon.

*I am modestly upset about places that require your small and easily-pilferable cell phone (Apple.) or a thing like Authy (Humble.) instead of time-cycle codes or something if you want a second factor, for similar reasons. At least nothing mandates you use that kind of enhanced security to do business with them. Yet.
Lists of one-time codes that you get from some actual banks and government agencies are not that big a deal - or at least, they're only as big a deal as securing a small physical artifact that doesn't end up on your person half your life is.

KeePass (and its Mono/.NET successor KeePass2) has the advantage of not using extensions/MIME-typing/headers/magic numbers/other identifiers in database files on disk1 except for user convenience - in other words, a KeePass database can look like virtually any file2. I still want to see if you can bury it in an MP3 like you can do with images (because having MP3s in Google Drive totally wouldn't be super weird :) but it's more a 'see if it could be done' thing). This, along with the other security options like a particular local account GUID3 and a private key file (that can ALSO be virtually any file; it doesn't have to be PGP or anything) - and KeePass clients leave it to you to know/attackers to figure out which ones go with your file - means that even if they pick the right file in your Spideroak4 or whatever it may as well be a one time pad unless they give you the good drugs and weasel your password out while you're :lsd:. On the other hand, getting set up this way is legitimately Effortemph and you are suddenly most of the links in the security chain instead of one or two, so it's real easy to forgive someone for deciding against it.

1: There is a data header (rigorous data storage is simply a good idea), but it gets encrypted with the rest of the database before commit.
2: There is a mild issue; a file that's either a corrupt database or not a database throws a different error message from the one for a failed challenge. But then obscurity is just to buy you time and set a floor for how much attacker attention/observation/endurance is needed to get to your actual security.
3: Don't actually do this; it'll end in tears when you lose all your passwords in a system pave.
4: Might be too obvious. Remember that your cloud storage is just a bag-man, so Dropbox being proven soft isn't axiomatically or maybe even situationally negative. Of course, it'll be aircraft-light obvious when that's the only thing NOT in Spideroak.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 10, 2015

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

When my partner and I moved in together, I used Sweethome 3D to build a floorplan and 3D rendering of the new place to make sure all of our stuff would fit, and what to get rid of/give away. It was really easy to use, and the rendering options gave us a decent idea of how things would look when it was all said and done.

http://burningjustice.net/sweethome/

The renderings were done on a 2003 computer, so if you care about the rendering quality, it'd probably look a lot better on a more modern device.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Coxswain Balls posted:

When my partner and I moved in together, I used Sweethome 3D to build a floorplan and 3D rendering of the new place to make sure all of our stuff would fit, and what to get rid of/give away. It was really easy to use, and the rendering options gave us a decent idea of how things would look when it was all said and done.

http://burningjustice.net/sweethome/

The renderings were done on a 2003 computer, so if you care about the rendering quality, it'd probably look a lot better on a more modern device.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I actually ended up going with HomeByMe, which is pretty OK.

I'll give Sweethome 3D a try and see how it compares.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I have a list of song titles and albums in a text file, and a my musicbee library, is there any way to try to create a playlist from said list referencing my library?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

*I am modestly upset about places that require your small and easily-pilferable cell phone (Apple.) or a thing like Authy (Humble.) instead of time-cycle codes or something if you want a second factor, for similar reasons. At least nothing mandates you use that kind of enhanced security to do business with them. Yet.
Lists of one-time codes that you get from some actual banks and government agencies are not that big a deal - or at least, they're only as big a deal as securing a small physical artifact that doesn't end up on your person half your life is.

So you're saying using time-codes, use 1 time passwords for a password vault? Explain how this would actually work. I go to site, log in, get 1 time code to log in to password vault? What am I using to protect that?

KeePass (and its Mono/.NET successor KeePass2) has the advantage of not using extensions/MIME-typing/headers/magic numbers/other identifiers in database files on disk1 except for user convenience - in other words, a KeePass database can look like virtually any file2. I still want to see if you can bury it in an MP3 like you can do with images (because having MP3s in Google Drive totally wouldn't be super weird :) but it's more a 'see if it could be done' thing). This, along with the other security options like a particular local account GUID3 and a private key file (that can ALSO be virtually any file; it doesn't have to be PGP or anything) - and KeePass clients leave it to you to know/attackers to figure out which ones go with your file - means that even if they pick the right file in your Spideroak4 or whatever it may as well be a one time pad unless they give you the good drugs and weasel your password out while you're :lsd:. On the other hand, getting set up this way is legitimately Effortemph and you are suddenly most of the links in the security chain instead of one or two, so it's real easy to forgive someone for deciding against it.

I've tried Keepass. Setting it up is a huge pain. If you can show people how to achieve your suggestion without 2 posts worth of steps, I'd consider changing over.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Is there a freeware/simple way to extract your key for Windows? I have 3 Win 7 Pro x64 systems in my house, but I have no idea which key goes with which.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

slidebite posted:

Is there a freeware/simple way to extract your key for Windows? I have 3 Win 7 Pro x64 systems in my house, but I have no idea which key goes with which.

Magical Jelly Bean.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

slidebite posted:

use magic jellybean or this script

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Awesome. Thanks a lot guys :)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I've gotten out-of-order license keys from that before (literally, transposed characters from what I recognized as my license key). Try Belarc Advisor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I ran the script and Belarc and came out the same.

Question though: I tested it on an older laptop and the key is not the same as on the license sticker on the bottom of the laptop. Is that normal? More curious than anything, I'm not planing on touching it.

• Locked thread