Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Date: May 24th, 2014
Venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena
Broadcast: Pay-Per-View, FOX Sports 1, UFC Fight Pass

MAIN CARD (Pay-Per-View, 10 p.m. ET)
(c) Renan Barao vs. T.J. Dillashaw for UFC bantamweight title
Daniel Cormier vs. Dan Henderson
Jake Ellenberger vs. Robbie Lawler
Takeya Mizugaki vs. Francisco Rivera
James Krause vs. Jamie Varner

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)
Michael Chiesa vs. Francisco Trinaldo
Tony Ferguson vs. Katsunori Kikuno
Chico Camus vs. Chris Holdsworth
Mitch Clarke vs. Al Iaquinta

PRE-PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 6:30 p.m. ET)
Anthony Njokuani vs. Vinc Pichel
Aaron Phillips vs. Sam Sicilia
Jingliang Li vs. David Michaud

Important Things:

Remember when Memorial Day cards were radtastic? Neither do I.

Noted P4P fisherman Renan "The Baron" (what?) Barao (Rao-Rao) is honestly one bad son of a gun. He demolished one of the best bantamweights in Urijah Faber twice, and has finished Wineland, Pickett, and McDonald in spectacular fashion. TJ Dillashaw, however, lost a split decision to Raphael Assunção. So you can do the MMAth. I don't foresee this going the distance, but maybe a possible submission in the third from the Monster that is Barao. The TAM Curse Continues!

This is a matchup that can go one of a few ways. Daniel Cormier winning a tepid decision by doing some super exciting cage work on the lumbering Dan Henderson, or perhaps dropping him as evidenced by Dan suddenly deciding that age is a thing and getting floored. I don't suspect that being realistic since we're talking about DC here. But you know what, Hollywood Henderson can get off the couch and knock someone out, so let's hope that happens. Pray for Hendo.

Robbie Lawler has had a strange career resurgence, and nearly obtained the UFC welterweight championship against Johny Hendricks. Jake Ellenberger lost a fight based on a Jab Only strategy, but is one of the hardest hitters in the division. I reckon Robbie will game plan the poo poo out of Jake, but this can still be derailed by Jake popping off early, which is likely. Cool rear end Fight.

Takeya Mizugaki! Jamie Varner! Michael Chiesa! Tony Ferguson! Katsunori Kikuno! Chico Camus! Chris Holdsworth! Al Iaquinta!

MMA Snack Rating ™ Summer Sangria Berry Crumble.

quote:

ingredients
12 ounces blueberries
12 ounces red raspberries
12 ounces strawberries, halved or quartered
1 lime, freshly zested and juiced
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons red wine (whatever your favorite is, I used pinot noir)
3 tablespoons grand marnier

crumble
1 1/3 cup oats
1 1/3 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
vanilla ice cream for serving

directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Add the strawberries, blueberries and raspberries to a baking dish (mine was about 8x11, but 9x13 is fine too). Add the lime zest and juice and gently toss with your hands. Stir together the sugar, flour and salt. Sprinkle it over the fruit and gently toss again. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes. Drizzle the wine and grand marnier over top.

crumble
In a large bowl, combine the oats, sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Add in the butter and use your hands to evenly distrubute it thorughout the oat mixture. I take at least 5 full minutes and mix with my hands, making sure all of the crumble is moistened and, well... crumbly. You want all of the flour mixed in and everything combined. Add in the vanilla extract and combine again with your hands. Sprinkle it evenly over top of the fruit. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the crumble on top is golden and crunchy.

Serve immediately with ice cream! (and sangria, duh.)

Other Important Things:

No streams for the main card! It's a pay-per-view. So buy it. With your money. (Also UFC Fight Pass because that costs moolah too.)

FOX Sports 1 is a real channel so post streams if you'd like.

Come hang out in #mma on synirc.org to share your theory of what percentage of Barao isn't actually human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I think your title is missing an s.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Seltzer posted:

Sometimes these things happen in MMA

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
This is a cool rear end card and I regret that I'm probably gonna have to miss it.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Seltzer posted:

Happy? ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?!

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

quote:

@PopeyesChicken 15m
Nice try tempting @dc_mma with Popeyes, @danhendo. Maybe both of you can enjoy it after the match. @UFC #UFC173

This motherfucker never gonna make weight at this rate

quote:

@FrontRowBrian · 1h
DC liking Popeyes is a shoot. I was around him 2 months ago. he made driver stop at Popeyes in S Central. Gave order thru BULLET PROOF glass

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
why isn't the snack rating Popeye's or some American food, Atom you're 209 at least choose something Hispanic not this berries and wine country poo poo

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

-Atom- posted:

Happy? ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?!

No.

Yuriy posted:

This motherfucker never gonna make weight at this rate

Why can't these loving wrestling pundits use normal words when describing normal non-wrestling events. IT'S A SHOOT BROTHER, CORMIER WOLFS DOWN THE FIVE PIECE COMBO WITH A SIDE OF MACARONI DUDE!

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 22, 2014

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Apparently this happened in April and I'm just now seeing it for the first time and I can't stop laughing

I like to think that other sports aren't as goofy as MMA

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I feel like we are going to see some child abuse happen to that lovable little man.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Captain Log posted:

I feel like we are going to see some child abuse happen to that lovable little man.

No child abuse in MMA will ever top Njokuani headkicking a fleeing Chris Horodecki (aka the birth of the Knockout Game)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

attackmole posted:

This is a cool rear end card and I regret that I'm probably gonna have to miss it.

Same here. I hope the card is rad for the people who can watch it though. Go Hendo. I respect the hell out of DC, but c'mon. It's Hendo.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

-Atom- posted:

Noted P4P fisherman Renan "The Baron" (what?) Barao (Rao-Rao) is honestly one bad son of a gun.

I think his real name is Renan Pegado and his nickname is Barao (Baron) but the UFC's fascination with Brazilian nicknames turned it to Renan Barao. Same thing when Jussier da Silva became Formiga, I guess.

Pray for Hendo :ohdear:

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

canoshiz posted:

I think his real name is Renan Pegado and his nickname is Barao (Baron) but the UFC's fascination with Brazilian nicknames turned it to Renan Barao. Same thing when Jussier da Silva became Formiga, I guess.

Pray for Hendo :ohdear:

Ryoto "Lyoto" Machida

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

El Roncho posted:

Ryoto "Lyoto" Machida

I remember in like 06 I thought that was his actual name and nickname.

And its not a UFC thing, it's a Brazilian thing-see soccer

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's a Portguese speaking thing in general I think, but almost definitely more common in Brazil than Portugal. Everyone in Portuguese speaking countries seems to have more surnames than any one man could ever need.

Some people speculate in Brazil it's due to an historically high illiteracy rate there, so instead of people having to write something like Edson Arantes do Nascimento, they just go with Pelé because gently caress it, why not.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Everytime I see this poster I swear TJ Dillashaw has gotten smaller and this is some metajoke.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dangersim posted:

I remember in like 06 I thought that was his actual name and nickname.

And its not a UFC thing, it's a Brazilian thing-see soccer

You mean there's not a bunch of people with one name in Brazil?

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Brazilian nicknames partly stem from the illiteracy thing mentioned before, but it's also an indication of being a regular guy to be referred to by your nickname rather than your full name (hence why for the former Brazilian president went by "Lula"). You'll also notice that it's the more flashy guys who go for a single name, like "Ronaldo" or "Neymar" -- on the Brazilian soccer team, the defenders and especially the goalkeepers tend to be known by at least their full first times ("Robert Carlos" or "David Luiz"). Since strikers tend to be the most popular players, it makes sense that they would individually choose distinctive singular names or that the media would do so for them, which isn't all that remarkable from Western conventions, whether it's "Yeezy," "LeBron," "Hendo," etc.

MMA being a self-promotional sport, it wouldn't surprise me if Barao either self-selected his name, promotions did it for him, or some combination of the two. If you actually look at the full names of notable Brazilians, their names are pretty distinct, running the gamut from ho-hum names like Joao or Ricardo to the very distinctive, like Wellington, Washington, Valdir, Oldemar, etc. so it's not like everyone all has the same name and they're forced to use nicknames to avoid confusion.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Panama Red posted:

If you actually look at the full names of notable Brazilians, their names are pretty distinct, running the gamut from ho-hum names like Joao or Ricardo to the very distinctive, like Wellington, Washington, Valdir, Oldemar, etc. so it's not like everyone all has the same name and they're forced to use nicknames to avoid confusion.

on the other hand, at least 50% of them are named some combination of Paulo Thiago Silva

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UcUOfseTvU

Wayans will begin at 7PM ET / 4PM PT.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

-Atom- posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UcUOfseTvU

Wayans will begin at 7PM ET / 4PM PT.

These are live on FS2

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

-Atom- posted:

Apparently this happened in April and I'm just now seeing it for the first time and I can't stop laughing

I like to think that other sports aren't as goofy as MMA

Oh god :laffo:

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
James Krause is way bigger than I remember, or Varner is smaller, or something

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

i hate ariel helwani and every word he says about beards so much

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

hendo weighed in at 199

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Lawler/Ellenburger staredown was better than I expected.

Wow 199 for Hendo. Smallest in the division, right?

DC hits 205 on the dot, good for his title prospects.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
DC looks like he could make middleweight.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
It's weird seeing Ludwig still cornering TAM guys with all the split talk that's been going on between him and Faber.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Yuriy posted:

hendo weighed in at 199

During the embedded videos he weighed himself at 196, so I bet he even drank a lot of water before this too.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Fozzy The Bear posted:

During the embedded videos he weighed himself at 196, so I bet he even drank a lot of water before this too.

Maybe he was eating some Popeye's chicken, too.

Bubba Smith posted:

It's weird seeing Ludwig still cornering TAM guys with all the split talk that's been going on between him and Faber.

How does this era of Team Alpha Male end? Go out with a Bang, or a whimper?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The sense I get is that Faber wants someone dedicated, and Ludwig was planning his gym in CO, so Faber decided to bring someone else in. Ludwig seems surprised it happened as quickly as it did, but it's not quite the drama storm a lot of people are making it out to be.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Ditch posted:

The sense I get is that Faber wants someone dedicated, and Ludwig was planning his gym in CO, so Faber decided to bring someone else in. Ludwig seems surprised it happened as quickly as it did, but it's not quite the drama storm a lot of people are making it out to be.

Really? The way Urijah was talking about Duane on Ariel's show really made me think otherwise. He started to talk about how he's emotional, and all of these other less than flattering statements about how they were structured beforehand to where they are now.

It's unfortunate, but there's obviously a few guys that don't view Duane in a different light like Castillo and Dillashaw who have gone on record with saying how he'll still be a fixture in their fights moving forward.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 24, 2014

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I didn't listen to that whole interview because I kept getting glitches and having to re-start. Gave up after getting tired of KFC Double Down™ commercials. So, I might have missed key details there.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Lone Goat posted:

New season starting this week~
May 24 - UFC 173
Renan Barão vs. T.J. Dillashaw
Dan Henderson vs. Daniel Cormier
Robbie Lawler vs. Jake Ellenberger
Takeya Mizugaki vs. Francisco Rivera
Jamie Varner vs. James Krause

FOTN:
POTN:
POTN:

FORM
SPREADSHEET

NEW SEASON OF THE GOONWEIGHT. NOW IS YOUR TIME TO HOLD ONTO PLASTIC GOLD, MAYBE.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
i tried watching the weigh ins on my teevee, with predictable results. how old did hendo look?

faber saying ludwig is emotional could've been as simple as ludwig saying "ok let's watch tape and create a strategy" and chillbro norcal responding "nah bro it's chill, i'll do my thing, let's go to the river bro" and ludwig disagreeing

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

-Atom- posted:

Really? The way Urijah was talking about Duane on Ariel's show really made me think otherwise. He started to talk about how he's emotional, and all of these other less than flattering statements about how they were structured beforehand to where they are now.

It's unfortunate, but there's obviously a few guys that don't view Duane in a different light like Castillo and Dillashaw who have gone on record with saying how he'll still be a fixture in their fights moving forward.

I can totally see how going from the structured fight camps of your muay thai instructor wandering off into the wilderness to catch and eat possums to the chaotic nature of a dude that watches fight tape on several different drugs can be off-putting.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

I can totally see how going from the structured fight camps of your muay thai instructor wandering off into the wilderness to catch and eat possums to the chaotic nature of a dude that watches fight tape on several different drugs can be off-putting.

Wrangling possums and disappearing for months at a time versus ONNIT DOT COM ALPHA BRAIN SMOKE WEED AND WATCH THESE TAPES

I think I'd prefer the shady Thai fella too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Yuriy posted:

Wrangling possums and disappearing for months at a time versus ONNIT DOT COM ALPHA BRAIN SMOKE WEED AND WATCH THESE TAPES

I think I'd prefer the shady Thai fella too

Except for when he puts the deed to the gym and all the houses on a craps bet that doesn't pan out.

• Locked thread