Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagicCube
May 25, 2004

That ref is so bad, he twisted the ankle and fell about 4 or 5 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

MagicCube posted:

How is this ref not noticing Varner's ankle giving out every time he plants it.

Because he sucks.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
God those replays

Dirp
May 16, 2007
I'm surprised Krause didn't target that leg more like Aldo vs KZ. He definitely saw something was wrong.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
He didn't give up, that's impressive

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

LOL jesus ref, varner "my ankle's broke" Ref "can you continue?"

The look on his corner guy's face was priceless.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The audience reaction :cry:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MMA refs shine again

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

I hate when fighters refuse to quit when they really should. There was no reason for that to last the whole round

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Fentry posted:

I hate when fighters refuse to quit when they really should. There was no reason for that to last the whole round

Probably did way more damage to his ankle but he did manage to stagger his opponent a few times while on a broken ankle so there's that

still a real bad idea

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I liked it when the ref stepped in for a second while Varner was really obviously injured and then let it continue anyway instead of calling for the doctor. Very professional, great job.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Varner held his own admirably despite the injury and felt he had a chance to finish it, why would he stop if he knows it's over after that round and believes he has a shot at winning?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Hehe all I can think of is when people would insist that Varner was a faker and a quitter after the Cerrone fight in the WEC.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

EvanSchenck posted:

I liked it when the ref stepped in for a second while Varner was really obviously injured and then let it continue anyway instead of calling for the doctor. Very professional, great job.

He stepped in to give Varner his mouthpiece. Didn't want him losing any teeth after all.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Probably did way more damage to his ankle but he did manage to stagger his opponent a few times while on a broken ankle so there's that

still a real bad idea

yeah i guess he showed his desire to fight but drat that ankle will never be the same after that poo poo

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Fentry posted:

agreed, but since Varner was 1-3 going into that fight he probably spent this entire camp thinking this was his last chance so he wasn't going to give up.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

That was both disgusting and admirable

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

Hehe all I can think of is when people would insist that Varner was a faker and a quitter after the Cerrone fight in the WEC.

he really seemed like he was milking it. when i found out his retina was detached i felt real bad.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Do people still hate varner for being a pussy or whatever that one time he got poked in the eye, or is fighting on a broken ankle enough

Also good example of why you have to flex your shin and keep your foot at 90 degree angle when checking low kicks, among other reasons to keep the ankle tense and protect the small bones in there instead of leaving them dangling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onf6qfSOxB8&t=21s

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Its cool that the Berlin card is so bad that they are trying to sell Carmont as a "striker."

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

I think Jamie's finally offset the ill will he's had since his WEC days. Get well soon

tonesville
Apr 25, 2010

Fentry posted:

It shouldn't be their choice to make.

Saint Jimmy
Jul 5, 2006

Sounds like I missed out on some gore.

...Anyone have a gif?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Mizugaki via LP

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

manyak posted:

Do people still hate varner for being a pussy or whatever that one time he got poked in the eye, or is fighting on a broken ankle enough

I think it's more that time he shot a double on Bendo, got guillotined, then immediately started complaining that he came to fight, not grapple

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Did he let Demian Maia pick his music

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Fentry posted:

He probably wouldn't have if he didn't manage to take him down and hit him in the head multiple times. Must have thought he had a chance at a Hail Mary miracle.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

tonesville posted:

It shouldn't be their choice to make.

It kinda has to be their call or you get the boxing problem when corrupt refs can end the fight on a whim once the 'right' fighter starts to win.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Linkin Park is the saddest entrance music

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

I was just wondering if this song is the default UFC walkout music that Dana plays for you if you don't pick anything.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

EvanSchenck posted:

That was funny. He gave Krause back the mouthpiece that the guy with the broken ankle punched out of his mouth. loving weird ref performance.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Street Horrrsing posted:

It kinda has to be their call or you get the boxing problem when corrupt refs can end the fight on a whim once the 'right' fighter starts to win.

No

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

The genius ring doctor also stepped on his foot after the fight

Only registered members can see post attachments!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

colonel_korn posted:

That was Machida's walkout for a long time

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Fentry posted:

The genius ring doctor also stepped on his foot after the fight

:lol:

Christ

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

1st AD posted:

That was Machida's walkout for a long time

Ok, I thought someone big used that once.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Takeya's a loving badass and I love him.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

C'mon Mizu

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

Yesssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Jimmy
Jul 5, 2006

Oh yuck.