Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Robnoxious posted:

Veganism is a social faze... eventually they all give up on the granola and demand the beef injection.

Every vegan I've known caved by the age of 30 at the latest. And it's a good thing too, because they all looked sickly as gently caress.

Yeah I'm sure she'll have a dozen other fad causes to get evangelical about soon enough. I bet she was hardcore into the Kony thing for a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

JakeP posted:

Would anyone actually recognize his "famous" sister? I never heard her name before and have no idea what she looks like, and only know a song or two of hers from the dumb montage they played of Frankie, with what I assume is his sisters music playing?

she is a big big big big big big star, on the verge of really exploding into fame.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Ratings for the premiere were up a tiny bit over last season. Which is nice to see for a show which has been running this long.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ve-down/277000/

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Robnoxious posted:

Veganism is a social faze... eventually they all give up on the granola and demand the beef injection.

Every vegan I've known caved by the age of 30 at the latest. And it's a good thing too, because they all looked sickly as gently caress.

shove off bro, hope you meet some practicing Jains in your lifetime.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

ToastyPotato posted:

Pictures have to be cleared beforehand by the family and friends who appear in them, so they would only do that if he and his family were completely stupid and did not discuss keeping that a secret before he went in.

Tbh with as much of an attention whore as Frankie is, I think deep down inside he is dying for everyone in the house to know so he can milk it for all its worth. Which wouldn't be much, but it means more attention for him.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

GaussianCopula posted:

And if they dont the producers can give them helpful hints once the show hits a slow patch to create more "content". I dont think there was ever a single contestant in either BB or Survivor who benefited from lying about their profession/background. It's just a stupid move that gets you into trouble.

Sadly, the only one I can think of is Natalie from BB11, who told everyone she was only 18. It seemed like a dumb lie at the time, but there were several instances during the season where people excused or dismissed her behavior/scheming by saying "Well, she's only 18, she doesn't know any better." And then of course she made it to the Final 2.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

John Cena posted:

she is a big big big big big big star, on the verge of really exploding into fame.

I can't tell if this is serious or sarcastic.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Teek posted:

Ratings for the premiere were up a tiny bit over last season. Which is nice to see for a show which has been running this long.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ve-down/277000/

I wonder if it helped to have a much nicer presentation (IMO) than any previous year. They did a good job of making this seem different even though it's been going on so long.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The switch to HD looks really great. It's kind of astounding it took this long.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

JakeP posted:

I can't tell if this is serious or sarcastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS1g8G_njx8
3 weeks - 43 million views on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ArianaGrandeVevo/videos

i would hazard a guess and say that they're serious

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I felt old when I saw his sister was famous and I had never heard of her.
I felt relief when I saw she was mostly famous for being on preteen Nickolodeon shows I have no reason to be aware of unless I was a father or a creep.
I felt old again when I saw that she had some hit songs I had never heard.
Then I listened to a couple of her songs and decided I'm ok with being old.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

BGrifter posted:

The switch to HD looks really great. It's kind of astounding it took this long.
It's definitely a good sign too, especially considering the upgrade happened after one of their worst seasons. So I think it means the show isn't going anywhere.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Juanito posted:

It's definitely a good sign too, especially considering the upgrade happened after one of their worst seasons. So I think it means the show isn't going anywhere.

From what I understand the show is considered a ratings monster for something that airs during the summer. I've not heard any of the rumblings about cancellation like the ones that surrounded Survivor for so long. It's a cheap to produce show that fills three hours a week of television time with a loyal audience over the traditionally weak summer season.

I'm with you STAC. If they want to impress me they need to cast Frances Bean Cobain or something.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

BGrifter posted:

From what I understand the show is considered a ratings monster for something that airs during the summer. I've not heard any of the rumblings about cancellation like the ones that surrounded Survivor for so long. It's a cheap to produce show that fills three hours a week of television time with a loyal audience over the traditionally weak summer season.

I'm with you STAC. If they want to impress me they need to cast Frances Bean Cobain or something.

While I've never seen the UK version, I would better if it got close to being cancelled they would try a Celebrity version first. Even though I don't think they could torture them the same way they do in the UK

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I shudder to imagine the sub-Surreal Life level "celebrities" that would be willing to take three months off over the summer to do Big Brother. They'd be lucky to get a star as big as Vanilla Ice or C.C. DeVille.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

Even though I don't think they could torture them the same way they do in the UK

If it didn't violate some kind of law I see no reason why they haven't tried the cattle prod challenge from the UK Series 5 in the US version yet. I've been waiting for that for years.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

sbaldrick posted:

While I've never seen the UK version, I would better if it got close to being cancelled they would try a Celebrity version first. Even though I don't think they could torture them the same way they do in the UK

A celebrity version would be so watered down that it would certainly not be worth watching. The only celebrities who would take the time to be on the show would be people who are barely famous at all, or are basically retired celebrities. Every contestant having a lawyer and manager/agent would probably be hell for production as well, especially since they film right there on a studio lot in California.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Did someone say celebrities?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
They haven't managed to make a Celebrity Survivor work and that's only a month. Plus big name celebrities like Neil Patrick Harris badly want to play. Three months of Celebrity Big Brother will probably never happen.

Although Mr Pectacular will probably play again and he's a pretty big star. :swoon:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Celebs also have way more to lose and are going to be much more to worry about when it comes to how they are portrayed which will likely equal boring feeds or a shallow pool for casting. Anyone who has anything going for them is probably not going to want to be on it.

Juanito posted:

Did someone say celebrities?

The bootlegged version of Survivor that they did was probably the closest thing to this kind of show that we will ever see.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

ToastyPotato posted:

Celebs also have way more to lose and are going to be much more to worry about when it comes to how they are portrayed which will likely equal boring feeds or a shallow pool for casting. Anyone who has anything going for them is probably not going to want to be on it.

The bootlegged version of Survivor that they did was probably the closest thing to this kind of show that we will ever see.
I remember I watched some of it. Shoddy production, but somewhat entertaining with their bad attitudes. I seem to recall some of the contestants actually getting bit by rats during a challenge.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Those two idiots were actually on Celebrity Big Brother 11 in the UK after that Survivor rip off show. It was a bad season I didn't watch more than a couple episodes of because the cast is dull.

The first Celebrity season (13) that ran this year has a great cast that fights about everything. And the current regular UK season running is full of conflict too so I watch here and there. It's really hard to keep up with more than one country's shows though. It's a shame no one talks about UK here because in all honesty though the game is worse (to non-existent since it's audience voting) the fights are way better. Everyone walks on eggshells for 90% of US version and the UK version people just say whatever they want, so it's quite different.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

BGrifter posted:

I shudder to imagine the sub-Surreal Life level "celebrities" that would be willing to take three months off over the summer to do Big Brother. They'd be lucky to get a star as big as Vanilla Ice or C.C. DeVille.

FWIW, I don't think the Celebrity version in the UK is the full three months. I think it's usually only a couple of weeks long.

Spiky Ooze posted:

It's a shame no one talks about UK here because in all honesty though the game is worse (to non-existent since it's audience voting) the fights are way better. Everyone walks on eggshells for 90% of US version and the UK version people just say whatever they want, so it's quite different.

Also... I've never watched it, but it sounds like it has some ridiculous twists this season. Like, one person already being guaranteed a spot in the finale, and another person being nominated every week until they leave?

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 26, 2014

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yep. And both of those suck (or are great depending on your perspective) because the one who gets nominated every week is a decent person who has been bullied so the crowd loves her while the person with a free pass to the final is a horrible bully and psycho who the crowd has started chanting to get her out and even the show host has said the show should take away her pass.

I watched last season's Australia version when BB15 ended and it was kind of a nice salve from all those assholes since the Australia cast wasn't filled with assholes and sociopaths. Then I watched Canada's second season and just started watching the current UK season that is absolutely filled with assholes and sociopaths. I've come to two conclusions.

1) I watch too much Big Brother, especially when I'm debating checking out the African one because I've read crazy stuff happens.
2) While I much prefer the US/Canada version of the game to the UK/Australia version for the strategy and gameplay the "fan vote" version has its strengths like an active Big Brother character that fucks with the houseguests. Also as someone who tends to root for the "good" people and against the "bad" people its really satisfying to see the obnoxious egomaniacs get voted out by millions or get bad chants go towards them and watch their egos fall apart live.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

STAC Goat posted:

1) I watch too much Big Brother, especially when I'm debating checking out the African one because I've read crazy stuff happens.

Didn't someone literally get raped on that one?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eww. I don't know. I just remember people saying things like someone choking someone or over the top racism. Maybe I don't want to watch if actual felonies are being committed.

Apparently it was BB Brazil where someone got raped.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 26, 2014

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

BGrifter posted:

They haven't managed to make a Celebrity Survivor work and that's only a month. Plus big name celebrities like Neil Patrick Harris badly want to play. Three months of Celebrity Big Brother will probably never happen.
Even the UK Celebrity version only runs for a month. There's no way you can keep Hollywood's important people cooped much longer than that for a show like Big Brother.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

STAC Goat posted:

Eww. I don't know. I just remember people saying things like someone choking someone or over the top racism. Maybe I don't want to watch if actual felonies are being committed.

Sounds familiar.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

STAC Goat posted:

Apparently it was BB Brazil where someone got raped.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...Z_EzUY6xg0pVAGg

I don't know if this technically qualifies as rape, but it would be really uncomfortable to watch I think.

Id watch for the violence though

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

JakeP posted:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...Z_EzUY6xg0pVAGg

I don't know if this technically qualifies as rape, but it would be really uncomfortable to watch I think.

Id watch for the violence though
Yeesh, and that guy ended up winning.

Worst line: The contest is due to reach a climax on November 11.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Juanito posted:

Yeesh, and that guy ended up winning.

Worst line: The contest is due to reach a climax on November 11.

At least his victim came in second

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

BUTT FIRST!

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

"I've done a lot of people..."

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
I am not as enthused by these 8 HGs.

Edit: I guess I should have read all the new posts before commenting. :/

violetdragon fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 27, 2014

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Donny is the only one making me laugh and I don't know if that's a good thing.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Frankie: Uh oh, that one guy is from Kentucky he must be a gay basher!
:jerkbag:

vvv I'm not touching that one... no loving way vvv

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
I don't know if it's because of the HD, but goddamn like 4 or 5 houseguests have loving gigantic noses.

Robnoxious posted:

Frankie: Uh ho, that one guy is from Kentucky he must be a gay basher!
He is correct about Caleb though.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Robnoxious posted:

Frankie: Uh oh, that one guy is from Kentucky he must be a gay basher!

In his defense, isn't that the guy who had racist comments posted to his social media?

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
The cop guy's head is so big and his face is so small

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jordguitar
Jul 7, 2008
Who knew Donny was half cricket!

• Locked thread