Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Man, it's so painful to watch a flat Tsonga when you know what he's capable of. They should try scheduling his matches earlier rather than later, when the day's winding down and the atmosphere is uninspired. He seems to need that energy from the crowd. This reminds me a lot of last year's match against Ferrer unfortunately.

Raonic v Djokovic will probably be great if Milos keeps his nerve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
christ, I can't switch from the trainwreck of the Tsonga match because Sharapova makes things unlistenable.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
First time this tournament I see Stosur play. Always thought a faster surface like hardcourt suited her best, but she's playing great right now on the clay.

EDIT Masha in beast mode 3rd set :tipshat:

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 1, 2014

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Glare Seethe posted:

Man, it's so painful to watch a flat Tsonga when you know what he's capable of. They should try scheduling his matches earlier rather than later, when the day's winding down and the atmosphere is uninspired. He seems to need that energy from the crowd. This reminds me a lot of last year's match against Ferrer unfortunately.

It wasn't so much the scheduling but Tsonga just happened to again be after a long match and the crowd again buggered off. And the French crowd needed Tsonga to give them some sign of life before backing him.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

Resonance posted:

christ, I can't switch from the trainwreck of the Tsonga match because Sharapova makes things unlistenable.

Yeah I also had to stop watching the Sharapova match cause of that. Everything about her annoys me. The grunting, the little fistpumps, her routine between points and the non-stop media coverage. I'm always happy when she loses.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Satisfaction Guaranteed posted:

Yeah I also had to stop watching the Sharapova match cause of that. Everything about her annoys me. The grunting, the little fistpumps, her routine between points and the non-stop media coverage. I'm always happy when she loses.

She has a winning mentality like noone else though, and like 1 billion $ in the bank. Goddamn that 3rd set!

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 1, 2014

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Halep beat Stephens 6-4 6-3. Good for her. Time for Stephens to show something at a tournament that isn't a Grand Slam.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

So, on the men's side we've got Nadal/Ferrer, Murray/Monfils, Berdych/Gulbis and Raonic/Djokovic. Out of those I figure the middle two might be competitive, I don't really give Ferrer or Milos much better than 50/50 odds at even taking a set. Would love to be proven wrong though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

So, on the men's side we've got Nadal/Ferrer, Murray/Monfils, Berdych/Gulbis and Raonic/Djokovic. Out of those I figure the middle two might be competitive, I don't really give Ferrer or Milos much better than 50/50 odds at even taking a set. Would love to be proven wrong though.
Ferrer beat Nadal in Monte Carlo a month and a half ago so...

I still except Nadal to win, just not in straights.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Could be. I may just be sour after last year when Ferrer rolled to the final and still got steamrolled by Nadal even though he'd played a marathon against Djokovic a couple days before.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Some really poor matches today. The highlight for me was Murray saving the umpire a lot of grief by conceding the point/game when Verdasco started to be a big baby.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Quick glance at the quarterfinals, I'm guessing another Djokovic v. Nadal final assuming that the latter rolls past his countryman. It'd be nice to maybe see Djokovic win one of these French Open matches against Nadal.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Pre-emptive :getin: Milos and :getin: Eugenie since I definitely won't be up for the start of their matches today at least.

Kinda weird to have two Canadians into the quarters of a Slam and no Americans :shobon:

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Muguruza is eating Sharapova's service games for lunch. Sharapova is having trouble with her serve/ball toss again.

And Genie is a double break down in the first set.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

Sodium Chloride posted:

Muguruza is eating Sharapova's service games for lunch. Sharapova is having trouble with her serve/ball toss again.

And Genie is a double break down in the first set.

How things change.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Yay Genie. Time for the Milos own zone :canada:

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Genie made that so much harder than it should have been and Sharapova's will to win is definitely her best asset.

Kittle posted:

How things change.

That's women's tennis in a nutshell.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Sodium Chloride posted:

That's women's tennis in a nutshell.

It's tennis in general, isn't it? The weird and dramatic momentum shifts are one of my favorite aspects of it.

Berdych's entire three-man team is wearing the same floral shirt he's been sporting. Seeing three of those lined up in a neat row is just scary.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Eugenie :toot: I think she's the only player on the women's side to make the semis of both the AO and FO this year.

Milos keeps pace through the whole first set only to pick the worst time to get broken :sigh: That's gotta be hugely deflating, hopefully he can rebound in the second set.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Wow look at Gulbis go. Apparently this is the year when he's going to actually realize all that potential everyone has said he's had.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

Milos :negative:

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Such a shame ITV stick with matches until they finish. Sure, Djokovic is playing but it is quite dull.

Glare Seethe posted:

It's tennis in general, isn't it? The weird and dramatic momentum shifts are one of my favorite aspects of it.

It's a little different in women's tennis. The swings come more often. In both matches today there were many breaks of serve and that is something you don't tend to see on the men's side.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

ChaosReaper posted:

Wow look at Gulbis go. Apparently this is the year when he's going to actually realize all that potential everyone has said he's had.

Yeah Gulbis is going to shoot right up in the rankings after this tournament. I think this win alone even puts him into the top 10.
Too bad for Milos, but not unexpected. Kept it close in the first two sets at least.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Sodium Chloride posted:

It's a little different in women's tennis. The swings come more often. In both matches today there were many breaks of serve and that is something you don't tend to see on the men's side.

Ah yeah, I do agree with that. I thought I felt some unspoken derision in that post but I was probably just being over-sensitive, so sorry about that. :)

Very happy that Gulbis is through.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
Will being a Gulbis fan for years finally pay off!??!

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Waynebo posted:

Will being a Gulbis fan for years finally pay off!??!

I'm afraid there's almost Nole for Gulbis to advance to the final.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Beyond The Baseline @SI_BTBaseline posted:

Bouchard on Sharapova: For sure I respect her. But we're in SFs of a Slam. I'm going to respect her but not put her too high on a pedestal.

nytimes.com posted:

Sharapova is not one to interact socially with her opponents, another approach of her career that has been copied by some, including the 20-year-old Canadian quarterfinalist Eugenie Bouchard.

“I don’t think the tennis tour is the place to have friends,” said Bouchard, who defeated Angelique Kerber in straight sets Sunday. “For me it’s all competition.”

Sharapova echoed the sentiment again Sunday night.

“I treat my career and my work as a very serious profession, and I know that what has got me my success is the fact that I’m a big competitor and that I don’t want to give anyone a chance,” Sharapova said. “I was never here from Day 1 to make friendships. This is a battlefield for me, and I want to win. I think you see that passion when I’m on the court.”

Oh man, I can't wait for the Masha vs Genie SF! :ussr: :canada:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Muguruza had a chance to take out Sharapova in that 2nd set, but once it got to the tiebreak, you knew Muguruza was going to get destroyed in the 3rd.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
6 straight games from Petko, takes first set 6-2! She clearly handles the wind and rain better than Errani.

EDIT Peak Petkovic :tipshat:

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 4, 2014

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I'm really glad to see Petkovic back and playing well. She's always been fun to watch but has had some of the worst luck injury wise of any athlete I've ever seen.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

ChaosReaper posted:

I'm really glad to see Petkovic back and playing well. She's always been fun to watch but has had some of the worst luck injury wise of any athlete I've ever seen.

Yeah, probably the most likeable player on the wta tour. Really nice to see her back and playing this well. I think she has a new coach too? Will have to google that though.

EDIT yep, Eric van Harpen

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 4, 2014

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

ah, god bless the rain for delaying play until I'd finished work. I love how Murray openly enjoys having the crowd against him.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

holy poo poo, go Ferrer!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

The way Murray and Nadal are playing right now I'm starting to seriously think the former has a pretty good chance of making the final. Too premature to hope for Murray v Gulbis? Even Ferrer v Gulbis would be great since they played twice recently in both Madrid and Rome and split those 1-1. Djokovic on current form looks like he'll dismantle this Nadal, though it wouldn't exactly be shocking if Nadal upped his level for the final if he makes it that far.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Just 2 hours of daylight left. That can't be good for Ferrer can it? If they have to sleep on it and finish the match tomorrow I mean.

EDIT If this keeps going it will finish in time. Ferrer probably wants the darkness to be here right now. ;) Never seen Nadal play this fast

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 4, 2014

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I desire a Nadal meltdown

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Anyone watching the Monfils-Murray game?

The winner is going to be exhausted against Nadal.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 4, 2014

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Anyone watching the Monfils-Murray game?

I probably should since Nadal is now 1 game from moving on

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

lol crowd doing Seven Nation Army

edit: Murray trying to get it called because he can't see the ball :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Murray's cooked. Needs to drag this out until play is stopped.

• Locked thread