Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Tuxedo Jack posted:

If the changes from 6th aren't that drastic and can be condensed into a few pages, I think our group might adopt 7th rules using our 6th Ed rulebooks. Save ourselves $85 for the books and just buy the cards.

Yeah this is what my group is doing too, minus buying the cards.

I kind of have no choice but to not play 7th at the moment; either that or play by myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

Even if the charge was roll 3D6 pick two, it wouldn't be so terrible.

But instead we get: Measures unit to be 8" away, rolls snake eyes. "gently caress!"

Here's how I house rule it atm, you can charge 2D6 or choose to charge 6", but you must choose which before rolling.

Works fine for us.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

The Gate posted:

So, you never ever fail a 6" charge, and have the chance for better?

Oh I don't play assault armies, because I don't hate myself.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

The Gate posted:

So, you never ever fail a 6" charge, and have the chance for better?

Oh wait I misread this.

Yes that's how we play it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

Any other house rules?

Specifically dealing with assaulting from reserves?

Haven't really come up with anything solid or elegant yet.

That's mainly because none of us put assault units in reserves. Probably because it sucks!

If anyone wanted to try some deep striking assault units or something, I'd probably just say assaulting from reserves is A-ok! I feel like overwatch more than balances it out.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
If you're going to plan on summoning daemons as an Eldar player, and you're not using squads of Epic scale Avatars to represent these daemons, then you hosed up.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

MisterShine posted:

Not sure if any other Canadian Goons posted this before, but Meeplemart (think Canadian Warstore) partially dropped 40k and isnt doing anything to support 7e

Whoa, it's almost as if GW's toxic business practices are starting to have consequences. :monocle:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Random allocation is terrible. You should totally ignore it and use the old 'just choose who dies' system.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

As in it's now a situational thing to have your Guardsman do to Tac squads and not guardsman straight out of Cannon Fodder Weekly somehow being the equivalent of a squad of Eldar snipers with like a thousand years combined experience, yes.

I like reading this it sounds good.

I mean it barely makes any sense, but I like reading it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ijyt posted:

I'd love to hear the reasoning for some of the changes in 7th.

Honestly so much poo poo just seems totally arbitrary. Not even bad just... why?

Did the game need a psychic phase? Does it fix something?

Why is cover 5+ now? Was cover too good, despite all the 'ignores cover' being thrown around?

Random stuff.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Ok Gorkanaut is a cool name.

It's got Gork and Kan in it!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Genghis Cohen posted:

A terrible hobby filled with terrible people, stamping on a human face forever.

Ughhh, this is why I can't play pick up games anywhere; it's always fuckers like this with no volume control, totally sober, yelling stupid poo poo about a loving board game.

WOOO! SWEET VICTORY! YOU OWNED HIM!

Ugh.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
No, turns out assault being fixed, and Escalation/Stronghold being rolled in were just rumours.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Tournament play sounds really fun.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Post 9-11 User posted:

Between scaring off my girlfriend and people screetching things like, "My Sergeant is gonna RAPE YOU with his POWER FIST!!!" I couldn't stomach showing up there anymore. :reject:

Hey, you are me.

Right down to the scaring off my partner bit.

Fuggin 'wargamers'.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Slimnoid posted:

drat those women and their drama.

What really gets my dander up is the way people like Slimnoid always twist the argument around so that everyone who disagrees with them is a horrible, sexist monster. The self-righteousness really aggravates me, especially when they're being so self-righteous over something that is so bleeding trivial. Playing Warhammer is not a human right. It's a thing one does when one is hanging out with one's mates. There's nothing wrong with hanging out with one's mates. And if you somehow change the gaming scene so it's not mostly composed of guys hanging out with their mates, then it's not like guys are going to stop hanging out with their mates with no women around. They'll just being doing it somewhere else, and doing something else that women aren't interested in, until people like Slimnoid take issue with that as well.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

LordAba posted:

There is a girl in my shop right now, so of course one of the group comes up to me and says "I'VE NEVER SEEN A [i]GIRL[/i} LIKE THAT BEFORE". I almost walked out.

If some girls feel excluded...well, why should anyone care?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

It doesn't help at all that you are using what sound like feminist arguments, and feminists are some of the most irrational, hate-filled people around.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Ok, I'll stop now, I'm very sorry.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hencoe posted:

Is it just me or did Sisters not even get an FAQ?

I keep checking and double checking, but yeah. Looks like they flat out forgot they exist?

Whoops?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Hemlock Fighter can summon Daemons...

I don't care if this is true or not, it is a very funny mental image.

Just imaginging this Eldar dude making this face :rock:, while flying past some space marines and summoning some daemons.

He is also probably yelling "Suck it mon-keigh!", but they can't hear him.

Because he is in space fighter jet.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I can't believe people are actually getting mad about other people talking about writing house rules to play 40k.

:drat:

Edit: Can't we all just chill out a bit and enjoy talking about plastic spacemen together?

7th edition is tearing this family apart! :smith:

Moola fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 28, 2014

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'd second this. Don't start all over from the ground up, just fix the egregious problems and make it a set of easily applied house rules that makes the game faster and more enjoyable.

This is what my group is doing, it works fine.

Here's an example of what we did to psychic powers:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Sulecrist posted:

So you can't Focus powers that are Warp Charge 1?

You can focus a WC 1 power, but that drops you down to ML 1. Added that in there so you can't take loads of really cheap ML1 Psykers and just focus all the poo poo you want. They gotta be ML2 to even have the ability to focus.

JerryLee posted:

I'm guessing they meant equal or lesser. Also, it reads as though you give up all your rolls, even if you have 3 or more rolls, for one focused power. That seems a bit bad or at least a disincentive to take higher mastery levels; I'd prefer a clarification/modification to where you can trade rolls for focus at a 2:1 ratio and then take any rolls you haven't "spent" in this fashion.

Just saying, not trying to poo poo on what Moola posted. I think it's a fine experiment!

Yeah this is it. The intent is to let you pick a power you really want at a price, but if you want to take advantage of having more MLs then you gotta roll random dawg!

Also it's cool don't mind criticism. :)

Might try that idea you posted, we just wanted something a bit more restrictive than 'pick whatever you want'.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Infinite Karma posted:

If you make assault easier to get into, you need to make it less deadly/one-sided. For all everyone's bitching, they don't seem to mind when their 200 point lovely assault unit wipes out a 250 point shooting unit in one turn with no casualties.

Not to be dismissive or anything, but I have literally never seen this happen once in 6th edition.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Toying with the idea of overwatch requiring the shooter to have an equal to or greater Initiative value than the assaulting unit.

So like Fire Warriors could totally overwatch Ork Boys, but Banshees would gently caress them up.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Only the front rank being able to overwatch could help, and is ~~*thematically appropriate*~~.

Or maybe D3 shots per so many models or something.

Gonna test this poo poo out next saturday!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Fix posted:

You guys should make a thread for this project so as to not confuse people learning 7th.

Are you even allowed to make non-mega threads in trad games?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, these are all good points. I don't think that considering ways to cap/interact with overwatch can't be part of the puzzle, but it's probably not gonna do it by itself.

Can we get approval for a thread and have some one make it?

Yeah exactly, incremental changes are definitely what I prefer. If you're going to start totally overhauling poo poo, then you might as well start from the ground up. (Nobody wants to do this.)

Rulebook Heavily posted:

The current mod actually encourages splitting discussion if it starts getting cluttered sometimes, so :justpost:.

I dunno, it's not like we're not talking about 40k; sixth edition is still 40k, and house rules for 6th is still talking about 40k.

It's not like this thread moves at a break neck speed or something...

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I'm turning in for the night, but if there isn't a thread by morning, I will make one. Indolent Bastard is helping me get things organized so that we can work on things in a timely manner, but start saving all your House Rule chat for the House Rules thread...

Y'know, once we get mod approval.

Ok but you need a funny thread title.

Something like Warhammer 40k 6.5 Edition - The House Always Wins

But you know, actually funny.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

If you nerds are worried about whether 40k house rules can sustain a thread why not make a House Rules Megathread?

This might be a good idea.

Mainly because then we can talk about our Sham-battle How to Play With Toy Soldiers house rules!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Your mum.

(Starcom.)

Holy poo poo. :vince:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ChrisAsmadi posted:

There was a Movie Marines list in White Dwarf forever ago where the entire army was like, one Tactical Squad.

Just occurred to me that you could put together a kinda-movie-marines list now using Unbound rules.

Like you could have an army of nothing but Captains as Tactical Marines and Chapter Masters as Sergeants.

Then you leave them all as independent characters and play MEGA KILL TEAM against your opponent.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Captains can't get Special or Heavy Weapon choices though, so you can't do it properly.

Counter point, take all chapter masters, every model gets BS5 orbital bombardment.

Who needs heavy weapons?

e; Also pretend they are throwing really powerful grenades. Also they are REALLY good at throwing.

Moola fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 29, 2014

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I like you.

brb Converting my new space marine chapter, the Chaos Dunkers.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Fix posted:

Drop a counts-as Obliterator in there as your Heavy.

Master of the Forge with a Conversion Beamer as a dude with a Plasma Cannon.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Fix posted:

Why you gotta change it up?

Yeah fair enough.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I can't wait to try out this list this weekend. It's going to suck and I'll probably get tabled turn 3, but it will be fun!

quote:

SPACE MARINES - Salamanders Chapter Tactics

CHAPTER MASTER (200pts)
Primarch's Wrath
Power Fist (Master-crafted)
Artificer Armour
Melta Bombs

CHAPTER MASTER (200pts)
Artificer Armour
Melta Bombs
Digital Weapons
Combi-melta (Master-crafted)
Relic Blade

CHAPTER MASTER (200pts)
Artificer Armour
Melta Bombs
Digital Weapons
Relic Blade

CHAPTER MASTER (200pts)
Artificer Armour
Melta Bombs
Digital Weapons
Relic Blade

CHAPTER MASTER (200pts)
Artificer Armour
Melta Bombs
Digital Weapons
Relic Blade

CHAPTER MASTER (200pts)
Artificer Armour
Melta Bombs
Digital Weapons
Relic Blade

1200 Points

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Feel bad for you Jack, and those 'friends' sound like twats.

The thing with house rules is they're supposed to benefit the WHOLE house, they aren't supposed to be rules aimed at loving one person over.

Absolute twats, don't blame you for walking away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

This is actually pretty adorable.

He's just so excited about all that 30k :3:

• Locked thread