Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Pierre, the OP is missing the two Space Marine supplements (Clan Raukaan and Sentinels of Terra), and the other two codexes for Imperial Allies (Legion of the Damned and Inquisition) in the armies list. Might be worth including.

On another note, does anyone have any blogs or youtube channels that are worth reading/watching, especially for battle reports? I've been watching the StrikingScorpion82 apocalypse games today and they're reasonably good (overuse of gratuitous camera pans aside).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

koreban posted:

No way that poo poo's worth $100/year for a membership though. I tried their free week thing and cancelled after 2 days.

Don't forget that if you want to pay monthly, well, that costs twice as much.

Also, Pierre, the OP still says there are four special types of Space Marines, presumably as a relic from when Black Templars were special.

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 23, 2014

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

I have a feeling the jink changes were a response to how all around awesome scatter serpents were.

There's a couple of changes like that, I think. ICs not being able to join MCs seems to be there to stop O'Vesastar shenanigans, for instance.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

HiveCommander posted:

I know that Lords of War are in, I thought that only a HQ model with the 'Character' rule could be a Warlord though. Is that really gone? Can I really no longer deny Slay the Warlord by fielding Tervigons as my HQ choices?

Lords of War as Warlords is presumably there to cover people wanting to use Primarchs as their Warlord.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Lungboy posted:

For me, 6th was pretty drat good until they went mental with supplements and data slates and all that stuff. All it really needed was sorting assault and it would have been fantastic.

I dunno, that harks back to the days of White Dwarf including rules, and although it's both less wallet friendly (because GW overcharges like hell for ebooks) and more player friendly (because they're always available online), it's a good thing that they're willing to do variant armies/smaller allies lists.

That they seem to overfocus on Imperium is dumb but that's par for the course, really.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

I actually did the math on this not too long ago and it might interest you to know that a "realistic" marine, arbitrarily defined here as one that can gun down ten Imperial Guardsmen blazing away at him from 12" away before dying at almost exactly the same time the last one drops, would be BS5, T5, W1, 2+ Save, 5+ FNP with a S5 AP5 Rapid Fire boltgun. There are other ways of getting the same result (adding Wounds, for example) but long story short a "realistic" marine probably looks more like a Centurion than a Primarch.

Ten Guard seemed appropriate but all you'd have to do to make it 20 is add a second Wound.

EDIT: Presumably he'd have WS, S, I, and Ld bumps to match, and presumably he'd also be true-scale!

There was a Movie Marines list in White Dwarf forever ago where the entire army was like, one Tactical Squad.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Moola posted:

Just occurred to me that you could put together a kinda-movie-marines list now using Unbound rules.

Like you could have an army of nothing but Captains as Tactical Marines and Chapter Masters as Sergeants.

Then you leave them all as independent characters and play MEGA KILL TEAM against your opponent.

Captains can't get Special or Heavy Weapon choices though, so you can't do it properly.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
I guess Forgeworld doesn't like Daemon Factories either?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/LEGION_COMBI-WEAPONS.html

This pack could work as an option, too.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

DO IT TO IT posted:

More than likely. Even if I would personally like it better if GW pulled a big fake-out and actually did Blood Angels next.

It'd be even better if it was Space Marines next and it turns out BA and Space Wolves got rolled into the book.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Vondizimo posted:

Does anyone know where the latest 40k rules for the Contemptor Dread are? I used to have them in IA: Apocalypse Second Edition from FW but that is now out of date.

Are they in the vanilla 40k Apoc book? Escalation? The Adeptus Astartes book from FW? This is getting too much .

EDIT: Solved. They're in IA: Apocalypse still. The 40k Apocalypse book is just formations. The number of 40k supplements in print is getting a bit OTT. :psyduck:

They're also in Imperial Armour Volume 2, 2nd Edition.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

spacegoat posted:

Watch them bring back WSYWIG for Tyranids only, then switch fleshborers and spinefists again.

As if any non-Tyranid player can tell the difference between most 'nid weapons.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

HiveCommander posted:

It seems pretty dumb but not surprising since Storm Ravens, Land Raiders and Venerable Dreadnoughts are getting a kit that looks to have no change other than the box it comes in. Looks like the 'new unit' rumoured to be a retinue option for Crowe ended up being non-existent. Yay. If that's the case and there's no new units, I at least hope the Inquisition stuff stays so there'll be more than 2-3 entries per FOC. With a little more luck, they'll retcon some of the horrendous fluff from the 5th ed book.

I thought the Crowe retinue rumour was for a formation that gave him a Purifier retinue?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

AbusePuppy posted:

Worse than that, it's three books. You need the GK, Inquisition, and Assassins codices just to access the stuff that was, almost without exception, available to you in the 5E codex.

Four if you want to have Stormtroopers like in Codex: Daemonhunters.

HiveCommander posted:

But in all the tournaments you are limited to one additional detachment, so it's an "x, y and z, pick two" scenario and why pick Inquisition or Assassins as your second detachment when you could take IG instead? I'd prefer to have a decent toolbox of options to deal with various threats in the one book, not having to resort to allies to make the book functional or even near what it used to be, unless we see some huge buffs to Psycannons (which are probably changing to Salvo weapons anyway).

It's hardly Games Workshop's fault that tournament people being dumb about something hampers people from making a fluffy army just because some people abuse it.

Plus being able to add Inquisition/Assassins to most Imperial armies is actually really fluffy.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

AbusePuppy posted:

Alternately, it's not tournament players' fault that GW writes rules so lovely they have to be hacked significantly to make the game even vaguely fair for both sides.

The two source thing is a pretty heavy handed way of dealing with it, though.

I mean, it's not like using adding a Legion of the Damned detachment is going to be overpowered, even if the core army already has allies.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It is the same group. I don't know why they're open to it. In other news, despite being kneecapped, I won the last campaign! First out of 12! Going from the bottom (winning less than 50% of my games) to the top (being undefeated in campaign play for 9 of 10 weeks) has given me a reputation in the group as a "hypercompetitive shitbag" - which I now wear with a badge of honor.

We have a 7 week break until the next campaign, for which I am solely responsible for the rules. We're allowing formations in the place of the LOW slot, and I'm trying to get a definitive list of the 40k Approved Formations (the non-apocalypse ones). These are the ones we have right now:

Does anyone know of any others? I know the Officio Assassinorum one will probably be out by then...

Black Library has a list of all of the dataslates, at least.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Post 9-11 User posted:

By the same token, it means Deathwing won't be in the next Dark Angels codex. I'm sure there will be a dataslate for Paladin armies and Deathwing, though. :allears:

Couldn't they do Deathwing/Ravenwing with custom FOCs for them?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

Codex Grey Knights is the ultimate proof that GW will nerf existing units just so that they can sell their lovely new 3D-designed hot garbage models with overpowered rules.

:downs:

Wouldn't that require them to have a new model coming with the book?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

I don't know why you're all so upset about Grey Knights. If you want to run a Paladins list, just go unbound. If you're concerned about long-range fire support, just run Tau as allies. It's so easy

hail satan

Not to mention you can still add in Inquisitors and Assassins, and now every Imperial player can too.

Heck, if you want to go old school Codex: Daemonhunters, you can use Militarum Tempestus and add Stormtroopers.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Von Humboldt posted:

Dark Angels can only have their day in the sun once every other book is a smoldering ruin.

At which point they'll promptly end up being folded into Codex: Space Marines.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Does anyone have any resource on a campaign setting but with advancement for units, that isn't retardly broken? Friends want to do a campaign where surviving forces of games get experience and then you can use that to like give them special abilities etc..

Anyone know of a decent source for that like 40k?

If nothing else works, you could try the old Necromunda advancement and injury tables.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

SRM posted:

That's model by model and would be completely bonkers for 40k.

Just use it for squad leaders and characters.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

SRM posted:

But then you'd have horribly crippled sergeants leading squads of able-bodied troopers all the time! Necromunda-style advancements really don't work in a game of 40k's scale if you ask me, and I love me some Necromunda.

So every army would end up as Iron Hands?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

SRM posted:

How the hell do they justify 50 points for a Tacticool Marine? Horus Heresy sounds pretty deadly all around, so 50 points for a 3+ save dude sounds nuts.

They're not 250 base for five, they're ~250 for a kitted out squad of ten.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

It's pretty nuts. I don't have my book with me, but the squad costs something like 175 points for just 5 assholes. They all get 2 attacks base, can move and shoot heavy weapons, and all of them can get power weapons. You also pick one of 4 special rules like tank hunters, outflank, furious charge, or something else. By the time they are 10 strong and have 2 special/heavy weapons they cost like 350 points. Think of them like Chaos Chosen, but better for more points.

In 30k land, they are one of the worst troop options. I would never use them. You pay lots of points for flexibility and suddenly your 10 3+ guys and a rhino at 400 points are up against an opponent who wisely spent those same points on 20 tactical marines, an apothecary, and a plasma executioner tank to support them.

It's 125 for 5 Veteran Tacticals, 200 for 10.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Does anyone know of a simple, cool, easily available conversion/alternative for Space Marine attack bikes? They're like the single model which has never been considered cool by anyone since the game's inception.

The Forgeworld Legion Jetbikes have Heavy Bolter/Multi-Melta options and are really nice looking.

More expensive, though.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

Isn't it even worse than that? Who is left other than Celestine, Jain Zarr and Lelith?

Shadowsun?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
I wonder if pulling Harlequins means we're gonna get Codex: Harlequins with Solitaires and stuff soon.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

xtothez posted:

Which race relies on 4 White Dwarf issues for rules? So far all new units printed in WD have been copies of pages either from codexes, from a supplement, and/or later released for free.

I think Gerantius and the Looted Wagon are still WD exclusive, aren't they?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
You could also probably do Blood Ravens and then run whatever marine dex takes your fancy.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I would like to see how they handle the first multi faction units.

I would imagine it'll be handled something like Assassins or Inquisitors?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
How hard was it to convert the Chaos Knights/Skullcrushers with CSM riders, WhiteOutMouse?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I don't think GW uses B&W art anymore, at least in the codices. I'm of the mind there's nothing coming out, but if there is I doubt it would be competition with a 30k army.

The rumours of a Harlequin codex seem far more likely, honestly. I wonder who, besides Eldar/DEldar, will get them at a decent allies level?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
Tempestus Scions would work as another model kit to convert into Ad Secularis, too, I'd think.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

SRM posted:

Obliterats? I still think Centurions would be good Oblit standins with a little converting.

Or the FW Mechanicus Mymridons (though they're unlikely to be a cheap option).

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

AbusePuppy posted:

Keep in mind DE didn't get a LoW at all, so it's quite possible 'Crons won't either.

There's already plastic models for the Necron ones, though.

e: This is the first 7e codex for an army that already has plastic superheavies, right?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Yeah it's obvious to me that when you look at the codexes now, from here on out you also have to take into consideration the Formations, because a lot of units now are by many accounts "okay" then you look at the formations with them in it and it's like "Okay, that's actually pretty drat good".

The best example of this is Tyranids, Dark Eldar, and Blood Angels. They kind of whiffed it with Space Wolves and Orks, to a degree but it looks like this is going to be the way things are from here on out.

Some people really loving hate Formations though but they are not going any where and it looks like this is the way they want to move forward, specifically with Web Bundles to sell more models etc..

Also, using the Campaigns to introduce new models and units.

I just wish they'd stop with the formations that are just "here's a reward for taking these already good units you were probably going to take anyway" like Adamantium Lance or Firebase Support Cadre.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Naramyth posted:

Also no "only one per Army rule" so you can bring a few of them.

It's got the Relic of the Armoury rule, same as the Sicaran.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

Oh yes, and that. Nasty nerf, and it leaves Necrons with... not a single AA option outside of *Scythes (priced up, though Death Beams can be aimed at flyers now unless I missed something) and Obelisks (300 points, unreliable, can loving mishap on deep strike).
Good thing the army is pretty drat resilient though.

IA12 has Sentry Pylons - artillery that has a 120", two shot, skyfire/interceptor gauss lascannon for 135 points base. They're immobile, but they don't sound too bad. And they go in squadrons of 1-3.

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Uroboros posted:

Striking Scorpions are really well done, but they skip a lot of the dice rolling and banter, but still somehow manage to be longer than Miniwargaming's. I like to see the dice, models being taken away, and player reactions, which is something Striking Scorpion skips completely, and it annoys me.

Gotta fit all the gratuitous camera pans in.

(StrikingScorpion's Apocalypse games are good but the normal games are way too long.)

• Locked thread