Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I really like that shade of purple on the Necrons, very regal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Kaysette posted:

So how long do I have to wait if I want just the new rules and not the rehashed fluff books? Are we assuming the revised starter kit will come with a mini rulebook?

Unfortunately I don't believe their releasing one. The last time they did the many rulebook it really hurt sales on the main book. So I don't foresee this happening at all.

There may be a Digital release though.

New FOC is kind of interesting.

I will say this the Mission Objective change looks kick rear end. I love changing and a more dynamic mission structure. Looks really great.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

parabolic posted:

Am I a bad person if I just like tanks and want to run a whole lot of them? Are there even any other games people actually play with ~28mm scifi tanks?

Not only are you not a bad person, you can now just play an all tank Imperial Guard Armoured Force. I could see a Tank Commander, w/ Leman Russes, HellHounds , and Scout Sentinels being super duper fun. Plus with the new change to the FOC, you don't have to do that unbound at all. I mean you'll want some armoured caravans with Chimeras anyway as that'd make some sense. So just take 2 FOCs.

The new FOC while it can be abused can be used to make some super kick rear end armies that are just fun and really "fluffy". 2 Tank Commanders w/ Leman Russes and some Guards in Chimeras then Scout Sentinels Hellhounds Vendettas , and some ordnance is pretty awesome sounding army.

My Necrons are happy campers. I can now Take two FOCs and do a Spyderstar/Annihilation barge army.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 23, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Tyranid Players complaining a lot but seriously you can just take 4 FOC Detachments and rock out with your tendril like cock out.

Digging the hell out of the new FOC, it just opens up a lot of options. I mean sure you can play Unbound or play a Battleforged and get some really cool bonuses.

New Warlord table is boss as well. Finally actual good benefits to strategy and person.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Everyone if they get lucky can be a Bloodthirster, there fore Psychic Phase is best.

(Except Tyranids)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There will probably be a Day 1 Faq for this like 6th had probably. So I don't think people should freak out. It's probably why the lull in the FAQs for 6th pretty much as they're going to have to fix a lot of things because of the new Psychic Phase.

Things like Eldar, pretty much ignoring Perils test and the Tyranid power that really doesn't do anything now.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So it's cool to use my normal C'Tan as a Transcendant C'tan now right? Now that Lord of War is in the game, with what I can see no restrictions...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Apparently if you have Scout and Infiltrate , you can Infiltrate then make a Scout Move. That's kind of neat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I don't think Infiltrate conferred to Vehicles in 6th edition. Only scout. I may be wrong. Anyway Dedicated transports now gain Infiltrate and Scout. I don't know if that is a change.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yes, it no longer confers the ability to fire at full BS at ground target.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

New FOC is a lot of loving fun to mess around with. Sure you gotta take two troops but who cares, cause of that battleforged special ability.

Also, the whole Daemon summoning thing is literally limited by your pocket book. Even a dedicated army summoning massive amounts runs above a 1000 dollars on turn 3 or more unless you don't want to have choices.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I will be really disappointed if Orks are not super powerful. I'm really hoping they'll be on at least par with the Astra army that got some good poo poo.

Orks need it they've not gotten a codex in what 5 years?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This is interesting but apparently it clearly states in the rulebook that Unbound armies require opponents consent and in fact any army requires their consent.

GW everything has to be consensual.

Consensual Non-Consensual Warhammer 40k games (everything to do with)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

My safe word is "Pricehike".

Oh my insane Daemon Army I Played on Vassal earlier, I just used two primary FOCs for this. Played against all Terminator army with those flying things Marines have. It was a lot of fun.

Herald Tzeentch (Lvl3) x 3 , 2 (17) Pink Horrors , 2 Soul Grinders (Tzeentch, Phelgm)

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 24, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That whole can cast Psychic Powers when coming in from reserve really makes me wonder if Conjured units can use their Psychic Powers.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Kaysette posted:

The word of the day is "summonstar" according to dakka. Dude's army is all Herald of Tzeentch and pink horror spam with three soulgrinders:

Yeah that's my post. I play a lot of games on Vassal at work. I changed it though to having 4 Soul Grndrs once I figured out how to properly do FOCs. I was fun and fluffy but there's no real world way to play it without A. Designing or substituting your own daemons B. Spending more than 1000 dollars on the army to have access to all the Daemons. It's functionally limited by how much money you have. Basically each summoning spell you cast is like 60 dollars.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 24, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

SPeaking of which more people here need to play Vassal. Of course you have to kind of "break" vassal 6th to play 40k 7th.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 24, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah one game I summoned cast Incursion 5 times, and Possession 4 times, then the Sacrifice 4 times. That would have by itself cost like probably greater than $500 dollars. Vassals hard to do it on though, you have to basically "break" it kind of. It's fun though, but it's never getting a 7th edition update which is sad :(.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Arson Fire posted:

I have come to the conclusion that there aren't enough bugs in this thread. I'll help out.

That's loving amazing. I love the old color scheme, so great.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Walkers also get Hammer of Wrath now, they did lose the free pivot and have to pay attention to fire arcs.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Apparently I was doing the Psychics wrong, I was choosing the primaris focus for Daemonology which you still can do, but the Pink Horrors can't have 2 powers from Daemonology as they have to take their Gods Flickering Flames, but it's free so whatever.

It's actually better because then you have more shooting attacks. So you have to roll on the Chart for Pink Horrors and if you don't get what you want you can take summoning , but everyone gets summoning anyway.

Plus with 40 Warp Charge you can shoot off like a insane amount of shots at someone. Oh and now Warpfire has precision shots but I am unsure how that mechanic works. Basically the if I think you make more success than you need you get to pick.

So flickering fire is a Warp Charge 1, but you can add in more dice? gently caress it. I have no diea how it works now.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 24, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wow there are some crazy good deals on Ebay right now.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Ooh! top of page (sorta), so here's some pictures of a tank I finished this week and posted in the last thread:

7E chat:
What Daemons models should I be looking for on eBay for the Daemon psyker stuff? a Bloodthirster, 10 Bloodletters and what else?

Bloodthirsters , Plaguebearers, Bloodletters, Fleshhounds? the khorne doggies, Bloodcrushers. Tzeentch Heralds as they can summon more Daemons.

Bloodcrushers next to the Greater Daemons are the best thing you can summon. Lord of change is good because he can summon more Daemons. I'd suggest if imperial guard summoning Tzeentch first or if you get possession Bloodthirster.

Just because summoning a Flying monstrous creature that can fly over and summon more Daemons is Hilarious, plus you don't lose Warp Charge.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

As in it's now a situational thing to have your Guardsman do to Tac squads and not guardsman straight out of Cannon Fodder Weekly somehow being the equivalent of a squad of Eldar snipers with like a thousand years combined experience, yes. It was never going to be 'every model can freely allocate hits' and if you thought it was I don't know what to tell you.

Proof that you are actually a bot?

I rewrote this

It is now situational to have your guardsman be (Good) and not be Cannon Fodder. To think that they would become the equivalent of Eldar Snipers who have thousands of years experience is ridiculous. It was never going to work that way and if you though it was then I do not have any thing to tell you.

Also here is the final list reworked for Chaos Daemons tell me what you guys think. I may have bought some Pink Horrors despite owing several thousand to my JD school this coming fall and need to save I AM A MONSTER :(

HQ
Herald Of Tzeentch (LvL 3 , Exalted Locus of Conjuration)
Herald of Tzeentch ( Lvl 3, Exalted Locus of Conjuration)
Herald of Tzeentch ( LvL 3, Grimiore)
Troops
12 Pink Horrors
12 Pink Horrors
17 Pink Horrors
H. Support
Soul Grinder (Tzeentch, Phlegm)

HQ
Herald Of Tzeentch (LvL 3 )
Herald of Tzeentch ( Lvl 3)
Herald of Tzeentch ( LvL 3)
Troops
12 Pink Horrors
12 Pink Horrors
17 Pink Horrors
H. Support

Fortification
Bastion w/ Void Shield

Total 1993

Total Power Dice = 32 + D6
Total Flicker Fire = 12 : Amount needed to fire all 12 Flicker Fire 46 :
Total Possible amount : 8D6 ST 6 @ BS4 , 40 D6 ST5 @ BS3
Total Summons = 12
Total Actual Rolls on Daemonology = 18 ( You have to take the Primary Power of your God you get automatically so if you want to have summons you have to replace a spell you roll, which will of course be any of the Witchfire)
Oh and it has SoulGrinders.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 24, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Actually, if I remember correctly in Rogue Trader you could in fact summon Daemons with normal Psykers. I think that was the case so I think it's a really odd throwback.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Going back to Rogue Trader is the best idea obviously. A sneak preview of an upcoming special Inquisition character:

My point EXACTLY.

Rogue Trader was awesome, except the rules were complete and utter poo poo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

One of the buffs that people seem to miss is that with Dark Eldar and Eldar, battle brothers can now ride in each others transports. So Banshees and Scorpions got a nice boost. You have to take the Transport for something else but who cares, Dark Eldar are cheap.

So I guess like Banshees are alright as they can ride in a assault vehicle now.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Honestly, I'm really liking what I see now that I have the book. I mean I'm a little disappointed in a few changes that should have been made but overall it just seems like it's a cleaned up 6th edition which is a good and a bad thing, because I mean they could have made this an expansion.

Favorite new change, Barrage totally works differently now and you just add up how many hits you got with all of them then treat the hits as if their coming from the first initial blast instead of each individual blast. SO much cleaner. Makes dealing with multiple barrages waaaay less of a headache.

Now to just wait for their FAQ to see what all that fixes. I assume it's going to be massive. Or not at all.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 24, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That looks like a good list to me everything is pretty well armoured. What do you have the Psykers for ?

Exinos posted:

Well, at least something from Rogue Trader has still carried over.

As someone that always loved super killy assault armies I'm just disappointed that the new edition does not seem to have done anything to make them more viably while. Also, really not liking the look of the psychic phase against someone that goes full on psyker spam.

Psyker Spam isn't to bad to fight against, it really depends on your army but yeah its kind of annoying to fight against. There's still super killy assaults. I dunno I'm a fan of the changes but not so much the 80 dollar price tag that came with it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yes that is the big unfortunate that they can start the game embarked unless they can? Unsure will reread.

Swagger Dagger posted:

Prescience on the blobs/whatever else presents itself, some sort of ability to roll deny the witch.

Well the good news is you get Prescience for free, if you focus so you'll get to roll again on Divination.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah that thing is awesome.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Hahahahhahaha , loving Transcendant C'tan in normal play is broken. Just got to go by a friends and play a quick game of 7th. I subbed my C'Tan for a Transcendant and then just played my normal I Poop Scarabs army. He played Space Marines w/ a Baneblade, which I don't think they can even get but what the gently caress ever. It was over in 3 turns. Tran C'tan just wreaked shop all over the board then was just like I am who I am deal with it then start throwing his D all over the place. Game took like 45 minutes but was hell of a lot of fun!

edit:

Forgot to mention he was like gently caress it I'm taking all Malefic and actually rolled Possession. I couldn't do poo poo but all he had was a old Keeper of Secrets, but it was pretty funny to have a Space Marine Librarian Ride up on a Bike and then turn into a Keeper of Secrets.

Psychic phase was pretty predictable, we went by what we thought were the new access rules and 1 librarian took Biomancy and rolled the Endurance and the other took Malefic.

I sat around doing nothing with Necrons because theres gently caress all you can do so its just like " Oh you get extra poo poo" awesome. So Psychic Phase sucks well for Necrons.

So Basically 7th is 6th with a few minor rules changes and a new phase that is like , Okay that's kind of cool. Also, it's bullshit that you can fire Witchfire AND shoot. It wasn't overpowered. We didn't get ot try out any of the "big" changes to 7th other than loving around hardcore with the FOC which is boss. Like seriously it makes sense is really balanced and who cares if you are taking TWO detachments , you have to take two troops. So was really happy with that. I guess if all you play are assholes playing a against unbound would be lovely.

My advice don't play assholes.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 25, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Their walkers got Hammer of Wrath, that's all I got.

How common is Dark Eldar, where I am I've never played against them except when they're allied with Eldar. I've never played against a Dark Eldar army with my Crons.

Slimnoid posted:

That one poor Wraithlord has had one too many spirits.

Pretty sure he just has wraith herpes, unpainted Spiritstones look weird.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 25, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

WhiteOutMouse posted:

You can buy the Dais now and put 8-9 dark reapers inside to hang out with Vect if you want to be silly. Apparently if the transport jinks the occupants are not penalized? That could be fun. Farseer or Eldrad for Prescience and or Perfect Timing. Clearly that's a lot of points but that is a lot of missiles that is hard to shoot at.

My local area loves coming up with wacky ideas like this so I am probably programed to see things like 200pt raiders and think, "No big deal!" There was an army that had The Space Pope walking with as many ICs as he could to make a ridiculous deathstar.

I don't think you can cast any psychic power within a transport but a Witchfire, I' like 50% sure on that. I know if he's with the Dark Reapers he probably can?

Kind of curious though how this whole Battle Brothers can use each others transports is gonna work out.

I could see it being either really abusive or not mattering ever.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So I was one of the people who emailed Frontline previously about that whole daemon thing and actually requested a Battle Report ,here's some interesting things first he handicapped himself IE he didnt do the game breaking summon daemons that can summon the only models he summoned was Daemonettes, he could have summoned Fleshhounds, Screamers etc.. he got 1 Possession.

He specifically handicapped himself by not allowing Pink Horrors to summon, also Fateweaver is kind of useless in that army as it doesn't really have the COMBO that the Screamerstar has.

Basically he could have done A LOT more and been a lot ore efficient but it's easy to second guess a Battlereport, but he didn't even play it to it's brokenness. Also, he stopped summoning some phases.

So yeah, he didn't even "break it" to its full potential. He spent the turns not sacrificing and just summoning one type of daemon pretty much.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

field balm posted:

Hey, don't have a rulebook but can someone explain the chaos sorceror changes? Am I understanding right that if they're marked they get their god's primaris AND get to pick another school?

What's a good sorcerer load out, ignore gears and go for levels? Take 2x ML 2 psykers or 1x ML 3 and 1x ML 1? Ally with myself for 4 sorcs?

You automatically get your gods Primaris for free, then you have to roll once on the chart then you can roll on other charts. Getting the free Primaris doesn't satisfy the requirement that you have to roll.

So you get a extra power basically. Unless you are unmarked then you can focus and get a free power for the focus bonus. I think that's pretty much how it works.

If you want to have fun, take everything in the army that has the Daemon special rule and then ally with Chaos Daemons cast Cursed Earth. Enjoy +1 to Daemon save if you are with in 12 of them.

You can do a lot of fun stuff now with Chaos Daemons and Chaos Space Marines.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 26, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It'd be a good idea. You can do a lot of funky things with Daemons now.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Cataphract posted:

I've got 14 of the old metal ones I used in 5th with the old CSM dex. I try and run as many of my units as factors of 7 for papa N. So I might try and get my hands on 6 more of those and a box of the new plastics.

I don't think I should need more than 30...

The juries still out on this one , but I think if you sumon a Daemon Squad with a instrument you automatically also get to bring in any unit that has the Daemon type in from reserve automaticlly, Obliterators are Daemons, so Are Bloodthirsters and Soul Grinders.. This can be done on the first turn... like I said it's funky.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Pacheeco posted:

Demonic Instruments only activate if the unit carrying it passes it's reserve roll (the Daemon codex specifically says "...successfully passes it's reserve roll") and the unit you want to come in automatically hasn't rolled for reserves yet. This particular instrument effect isn't usable on summoned Daemon units afaik.

Like I said it's funky the actual Conjure Daemons spell actually says :

When the power is resolved, the new unit then arrives via Deep Strike, within the power’s maximum range; the new unit is under your control and is treated as having arrived from Reserves for all rules purposes.

That's the actual rule and wording. It's funky, do I think it does? Maybe? 50/50. I don't want to get into a rules debate though, I save that for DakkaDakka let them argue.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

The summoned squads can't take any upgrades, and even if they did summoning them doesn't make any mention of passing a Reserves roll.

You're actually straight up wrong.

If a conjuration power creates a unit from Codex: Chaos Daemons and that unit’s Army List Entry includes the option to take an Icon of Chaos, an Instrument of Chaos and/or the option to upgrade one model to a character, you may take any of these options for free provided you have the appropriate model available.

Dump_Stat posted:

Do CSMs get any sort of an edge with summoning Daemons?

No but apparently they get access to Sanctic or whatever it's called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Let others argue that poo poo. I got no horse in this race. Well except for the Chaos Space Marines I have from Dark Vengeance and the 40 Pink horrors I may have bought on Ebay.

I'm just glad I can use all my figures now, gently caress yeah I'm playing Necrons, Chaos Space Marines, and Dark Angels. What? I'm sure there's some reason those would all come together.

I can actually field like 2500 points now with all my stuff so I am happy about that.

• Locked thread