Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Ah, that new thread smell.

So...Orks, what are we wildly speculating will be/not be in their new codex and/or model line?

Codex: I have no idea. Their own Psychic powers? (Probably not).

Models: New Buggies, Plastic Meganobz, and Flash Gitz all are likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

So basically the new edition is just a FAQ with some minor changes and the psychic phase thing? I dont think I'll ever get back into the game as long as the random assault distance thing exists.

Even if the charge was roll 3D6 pick two, it wouldn't be so terrible.

But instead we get: Measures unit to be 8" away, rolls snake eyes. "gently caress!"

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Moola posted:

Here's how I house rule it atm, you can charge 2D6 or choose to charge 6", but you must choose which before rolling.

Works fine for us.

Any other house rules?

Specifically dealing with assaulting from reserves?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Whatever. I like gaming and I loathe other people’s drama, and I find that mixed gaming groups tend to have way more drama than male-only groups and that drama tends to make gaming groups explode, which is why I’ve run so many unfinished campaigns. The drama really gets in the way of the gaming. In fact, I’ve been getting way more into wargaming and getting away from RPGs just because there’s so much less drama with the almost entirely male wargaming scene.

:goonsay:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

adamantium|wang posted:

See this post? This is what you call boundless optimism.

He contracted it by touching Carl at their recent game. It is still too early to tell if it is temporary case or if it is a life long affliction.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

TKIY posted:

So JotWW just doesn't exist now?

What are you talking about? We have always been at war with Eastasia.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Daedleh posted:

It's forging the narrative man. Keep up.

You say this in jest, but sadly I feel this is the case. Xenos are the bad guys and the bad guys are supposed to lose; and lose in the most cinematic way possible while the proud Humans and Super-Humans stand triumphant.

Space Marines and IG keep getting better, while all the "evil" Xenos keep getting worse. Admittedly it is mostly worse through neglect, but worse is still worse.

Though if I'm totally honest with myself, odds are I'm putting more thought into it than the GW designers did. They just throw poo poo at a wall and see what the result is, they don't seem invested enough to care about what they are doing to some armies.

GW strawman: :byodood:
Fan boy better-man: :smithfrog:

:byodood: Psykers are cool. Lets make them into Space Wizards and have them be incredibly powerful.
:smithfrog: But some races don't get Psykers.
:byodood: So what?
:smithfrog: And these rules you made aren't very true to the fluff. Also some Psychic races are badly represented.
:byodood: Look at my awesome Grey Knights! They just summoned a Greater Daemon! That is so cool.
:smithfrog: Sigh...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Looking at the Blood Angels FAQ, I've decided I'll probably wait on moving to 7th edition until they get their next Codex. Unless 8th edition is out by then. And if they don't get their unique powers then, I'll just add the word "Blood" to other powers. Bloody Prescience, Sanguine Arm, Smite (But with blood somehow).

Hemo-smite

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

CyberLord XP posted:

Ha ha ha, why would you EVER take those? Knock 100 points off the price and we'll talk.

EDIT: Are there a bunch of bomb as special rules? Even so 230 points holy crap.

What you don't want a walker that can deliver 6 whole boyz provided it can lumber across the field with out getting glanced to death?

If it is some kind of drop pod, then maybe they aren't garbage, but the point costs are still way too high.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

A little bit of WD Ork leakage:

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 27, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

CyberLord XP posted:

Is this a thing? Does GoI move transports too?

It does provided they aren't Zooming or Swooping. But that is a big points cost and a whole bunch of finger crossing to get that little trick to work.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Fix posted:

Weren't you going to quit playing?

Weren't we all? :allears:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Are we feeling that psychics are the next big thing? Do take all comer lists now require somebody to 'debuff' and counter enemy spells?

Yes. Unless you agree to skip magic and play a game of spacemen from the future shooting and punching each other rather than hot Merlin on Merlin action.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

So does this edition turn into "You have to have psykers in your army or you are going to get murdered in the psychic phase if you dont"

As was stated previously this Mage-Hammer 40K.

But unlike fantasy you don't get cheap dispell scrolls to deal with spells.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

So, just got done playing 3k Space Marines versus 1500 Orks & 1500 Tyranids in a 2 on 1.

The objective cards completely break the game. Every card they drew was giving them victory points for poo poo in their deployment zone, which I was never going to get to, and all of my cards were in their deployment zone as well.

Despite the fact that my Terminators, Honor Guard and Chapter Master handily kept the hordes at bay, with Warlordx2, First Blood, and 3 Objectives, I still lost by a whopping 18-4 because of the cards... :stare:

I don't want to get all butthurt on the internet over losing a game, because I don't mind losing, but the game had enough randomness with alpha strikes and, y'know, rolling dice every turn... The cards just essentially randomly assign a winner based on the luck of deployment.

edit: I conceded on turn 3.

Yes but was the game thematic, and was the combat cinematic? Because that is all that really matters, right?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

If Dakka, Warseer and Reddit werent so scared of litigation that they could discuss the rules, I would love to see the community at large crowdsource and playtest a completely alternate set of rules.

poo poo... We could do it here. Appoint a committee of Fluff/'Ard players as the final say and spitball until we had something balanced and fun...

Then we could all get a second mortgage on our homes to pay for the impending legal fees...

How does the Necromunda Community Edition continue to exist without litigation? I know it's a "dead" system, but GW still owns the IP and everything associated with it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

JerryLee posted:

I think that trying to keep the changes as limited as possible, so that it really is just sort of a playtested, standardized houserule set (oxymoron alert), is a better approach than trying to reinvent the game. If it can get some "brand awareness" on the internet, so to speak, you can get people to try it the same way Magic players tried 5-Color or EDH, and it's a lot easier to sell people on it when it's still the base game they're familiar with, just with different rules for running and assaulting and maybe some non-retarded points costs.

I'd second this. Don't start all over from the ground up, just fix the egregious problems and make it a set of easily applied house rules that makes the game faster and more enjoyable.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I'll have the HOUSE RULES thread up in a few...

You can either borrow from mine or give me content.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638428&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post430272047

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Lungboy posted:

I just had a look at the Dark Vengeance set on the GW site to see if it had a new mini book yet (the assumption being there would be one asap), and found this little nugget of poo poo:

"Please note: To get the latest set of Warhammer 40,000 game rules you will need to purchase the new edition of Warhammer 40,000."

That sounds horribly like there won't be a new mini book at all.

They aren't going to open up every box in the warehouse to replace the mini-book and they won't offer any cheaper rule book until they have moved enough units of the hardcover books. Either pony up the cash now, or do without a rule book for 6+ months.

CyberLord XP posted:

After finally getting to take a look at the new rules I will be waiting for a mini rulebook to buy (if I do at all). It really is an expensive FAQ.

Come on over to the Community Edition thread and maybe we can make your 6th ed book usable again.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Cataphract posted:

two pages in and that thread is already a clusterfuck

Thanks!

Even if it comes to nothing more than a list of useful house rules, it's an enjoyable exercise.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 29, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

"This represents your warlord arguing against his incompetent superiors. Note, choosing this option with an Imperial Guard warlord allows your opponent to immediately score the warlord VP as your warlord will be summarily executed once the battle is complete."

While your explanation is cute, I don't need a fluffy reason poo poo happens, I need good rules that work. (I'm not trying to poo poo on you, more GW for it's busted rules that need to be explained away).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Moola posted:

I like you.

brb Converting my new space marine chapter, the Chaos Dunkers.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Cataphract posted:

Oh sure, it wouldn't port well at all.

But what if it was a hybrid; declaring over watch meant you forwent your shots but could fire at an assaulting unit at full BS. that way over watch is a tactical decision and not something that happens automatically and won't bog down an opponents turn with a delayed shooting phase.

The Gate posted:

Losing a shitload of models when you declare the charge seems punishing to assaulters. Like, losing them in the shooting phase when you're probably in cover and can then move closer/at a different angle to get close is one thing, you have your turn to react. Losing a shitload when you declare the assault, when you can no longer change your plan or set up a combo charge or deal with the unit taking excessive casualties is bad. People already bitch about losing models to overwatc and failing charges, Orks and Nids would suffer a lot from this.

If only there was some kind of thread that was discussing house rules to implement these kinds of ideas :shrug: Oh well...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

CyberLord XP posted:

I am disappoint.

If that is the only new kit (no plastic meganobs, no new buggies, no plastic Flash Gitz kit) me too. Though my wallet is very happy.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That's the problem with everyone deciding they can make the rules better than the professionals. Mostly it just ends up as self-serving/irrational twattery.

Agreed, nothing is better than a rule that punishes one army or play style just because no one has figured out how to counter it on the table.

"Taudar? Too strong. Banned!" The embodiment of an inclusive gaming environment.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It's for our campaign that will eat up the majority of our games over the next 10 weeks.

:smithicide:

How are they allowed to just say, "nope no drop pods"? If you take them, they are in, and if the rules say they are scoring, they are scoring.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It doesn't matter, of course. It's just space Barbies. But it is spirit breaking. I was going to just take a break from the group to paint my new IG army, but then I realized they're using my PE tiles, and I kind of wrote the campaign (until the group rewrote most of it), so I feel obligated to play. I don't want to be a poor sport.

They're not as bad as I probably make them sound. There are a few characters, for sure, but they're not really the awful grognards you'd typically imagine...

They just loving love those cards without rationale or understanding.

Because random fate can reward bad players with wins.

poo poo, if you wanted to be a major rear end in a top hat, just take you ball and go home; and by ball I mean PE tiles and campaign. (Don't really do this) But remind these dicks that it is a game to be enjoyed by all, not for the benefit of only a few.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

But the pods do score... We've been over this... It doesn't matter.

You might want to give it a rest for today. You are clearly frustrated and probably won't make any progress until you can get it sorted in your head.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

He's saying what to do in the house-rule Drop Pods Don't Score scenario.

Do what jng2058 suggested if they insist on their crappy house rule.

The "sorted out" part was a reference to getting his plan of action for dealing with these kill-joys figured out, not how the rule works.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Oh, no, I was trying to point that out to Tuxedo Jack. I thought he didn't understand what JNG was saying.

Gotcha.

Here have a Stompa:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Cataphract posted:

Indeed, the only thing "broke" about the old design was that it was resin. So a plastic SAG that maintains all the good parts if a flipping rad model is ok in my eyes.

I wonder what the price hike will be for this "updated" model?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Not enough skulls, see me after class.

That's actually really awesome. As a semi-new dad one of the things I'm sadly really excited about it potentially getting my kid(s) into the game when they're old enough. As fantastic as the fluff is the basic system is a great way to learn and use measurements, statistics, and critical thinking.

And it's a great way to help expose them to stinky neck beards who throw tantrums while making racist rape jokes. They have to learn sooner or later.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Tell me about it. Been searching like crazy for a Commander model as I've ranted about before in previous threads but with no real success. I mean there is the Victoria Lamb stuff which is really amazing but that's just troopers and not any decent officers which is what I need the most.
I did find this one from Warmachine which is pretty much all I really need when it comes to design and pose but it's apparently not out until July and then I know that WM's scale is all over the place so it might just stand out even more than intended.

Heck, I wouldn't say no to have that one just as a display piece because it's an amazing model but good luck trying to find it nowadays. Did find one on Ebay but it was like 20eu in shipping. :suicide:

Sascha Dubois from Reaper Miniatures might work with a little greenstuffing.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah the Power Girl boob window I'm not a fan of either for that part. And that idea sounds pretty good even if I'd almost go crazy and try to make flak armour and gently caress everything up.

But yeah, the majority of the female commissar models are just cringeworthy. The art of the only female Commissar in one of the OW books is almost as bad with the noticeable cleavage.

That GIS search did lead me to these though
http://studiomcvey.highwire.com/product/swm1001-captain-kara-black
http://studiomcvey.highwire.com/product/swm2003-female-conscript-terrorist
http://studiomcvey.highwire.com/product/samaritan-female-trooper
http://studiomcvey.highwire.com/product/swm1003-akosha-nama

In my opinion the Sedition Wars minis will look very out of place, the are notably smaller and more spindly than most minis and especially GWs heroic-scale stuff. Sorry.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Goat Bouillabaise posted:

By forgetting that they actually can't and instead setting them on a hilariously fire-drawing charge around the back of the tank to take out the infantry lurking behind it while other units busted the Raider instead.

I am very rusty with orks.

EDIT: That being said, they're great to stick in a *orkanaut for various purposes.

So you had a great time with a new ork models, by playing incorrectly? Fair enough, it was an honest mistake, but hardly great evidence to show how great the new ork book is (could be)."

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Not outrageous, but I'm still not buying them. I have big gunz already and I can easily make my own SAG.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

gently caress I hate this hobby. I haven't been too excited about the new edition, I have 2000pts of Vostroyans to paint and I am looking at 55 metal Catachans that I shoulbnt by buying.

And here I am contemplating selling off my Space Marine stuff, a pair of Vindicators, a bunch of Scouts, a hand full of bikes, three or four dreads, a gently caress tonne of space marines and terminators, and a bunch of character models (and more I'm sure).

I'm keeping my orks because they are fun, but I don't know that I'd ever get around to the SM, between my Infinity stuff, Necromunda, and SAGA stuff. (Plus my various other misc minis that aren't even part of a game system).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

SRM posted:

That's life in the Guard for you :commissar:

If you've got old stuff, well, you know :v:

Some old(er) terminators, a bunch of "love my bolter" plastic marines, and probably a few other bits you might care about. I'm just trying to figure out if I should hold onto them because, well poo poo I already have them; or if I should accept my limitations (of ability and interest) and clear out some space.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'd be a buyer on some of that stuff as well, particularly if it's unpainted (or only primed).

Everything is either bare plastic/metal, stripped (only small traces of paint left), or basecoat (not glopped on).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

jng2058 posted:

You say that, and there's certainly value in unloading stuff you're sure you're never going to use. However, when I got out of 40k back in 2004 I just boxed everything all up and stuck it in the garage. When 40k rolled back into vogue with my gaming group, I just unpacked 'em and started playing. So far I've invested $4 for glue to get my minis back into shape and I've been able to play just fine. Granted, I don't have a lot of the newer stuff. In particular I covet an air force for my Guard...a Vendetta or two would be nice. And there were some casualties over ten years. The box that had my Basilisks and Marine Dreads is missing and may have gotten thrown out at some point. :sigh:

Still, by having kept the majority of my minis I'm able to tap back into the hobby after a decade away with minimal fuss. And that's not bad at all.

That is the issue that is keeping me from just selling it all off. I've already spent the cash so it doesn't cost to sit on the stuff. And since it is all broken down it fits into a relatively small space.

I'll probably break it out and pour over it soon and make a decision.

• Locked thread