Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Friend of mine has the new rulebook, I asked him if Come The Apocalypse armies get Objective Secured and/or Scoring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

Exactly.

In 8e, the Horus Heresy will be known as The War of Imperial Aggression, for starters.

Since there's no Confederate faction (Orks?) then that must mean all fluff will be written from a Tau perspective rather than an Imperial one.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'll have new photos after this weekend, but in the meantime here are some of the models I've already shown off:

Your models are tops and having Abaddon stand up and not hunched over/no-neck does a tremendous amount to improve how he looks (I know most of the model was replaced rather than repositioned, blah blah).

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

MisterShine posted:

Not sure if any other Canadian Goons posted this before, but Meeplemart (think Canadian Warstore) partially dropped 40k and isnt doing anything to support 7e
:sbahj:

That's laying down the law properly, drat. I especially like how he implied that :filez: copies of the 7th Ed rulebook would be allowed.

As far as the toxic business practices, I'm sure TheWarStore's GW sales dropped after GW declared that 3rd party retailers were no longer allowed to use images of their models to move product. And GW wonders why their stock is sliding off.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Lord Twisted posted:

Played my first game. So fun. So fun.

Tactical objectives own so hard it's unreal.
Played an ork buddy. He summoned demons on me. My thunderfire wrecked all his troops but due to tactical objectives he was winning until the final turn. Continually changing game dynamic and it really made me think each turn to score maximum points. Psychic phase was smooth as silk. Challenges are no longer busted.

My librarian went demonic, fired off soul flames and beams of death, before getting warp charged and staying his warlord. Then he went into CC with a kan fired a demon beam, blew up the kan behind the kan he was fighting, and then his head exploded from perils.

10/10 would blow own head off again

Sounds fun but also like a game of Warhammer: Super Smash Battle Brothers. What changes to challenges make it better other than overkill (overkill seems to remove any penalty of sniping out that enemy sergeant)?

Slimnoid posted:

As many detachments as you want, eh?

code:
Librarian (ML2) - 90
2x Scouts - 110
3x Thunderfire Cannon - 300

Librarian (ML2) - 90
2x Scouts - 110

Librarian (ML2) - 90
2x Scouts - 110

Librarian (ML2) - 90
2x Scouts - 110
500pts per, 2k on the nose.

gently caress everything.

Why not a Master Of The Forge or two? More shooting, Fortify Defenses, et cetera.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Slimnoid posted:

Lemme tell you about Mantic.

Librarian can toss out Divination as needed so some of the TFC's become more accurate, or Misfortune to deal with tough armor/high saves. Plus, with 12 techmarines on the board, there's no need for more fortifying.

Oh duh, I forgot that the "gunners" can Fortify. :doh:

And, yeah, 3 "Thunderfire" cannons for ~$40? Mantic all the way, 1000%

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 24, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
The point is moot with flamers, whether or not they get cover from blast markers depends on whether or not Games Workshop bothered to write rules for whether or not models inside transports get cover.

Probably not

jng2058 posted:

I notice that one of the Mantic kits, the "Heat Cannon" comes with enough bits to make both a Thunderfire substitute and an Icaraus Lascannon mount. Or swap it around and make a Quad-Gun and maybe use the Heat Cannon as your Thunderfire?

I just love the use of "Heavy Heat" when out of context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bar3GOzDNzg&t=188s

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 24, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

So much for take aim

So much for what? It's an amazing ability to use on, for instance, the flavor of the year giant Conscript blobs, especially since it means half of what they would already hit anyway becomes a Precision Shot. If you played Take Aim to mean that all wounds are allocated as you please you, just ... well, as bad as when I misread the Force rule last week! :shepface:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Has it been that long? Forgeworld was once an independent company run out of somebody's garage (still is, judging by their shoddy casting quality). What they had going for them is a team of gifted sculptors and idea people. About three or four years ago Games Workshop/Citadel/whatever purchased Forgeworld.

That's it, what's there to be confused about?

Hollismason posted:

One of the buffs that people seem to miss is that with Dark Eldar and Eldar, battle brothers can now ride in each others transports. So Banshees and Scorpions got a nice boost. You have to take the Transport for something else but who cares, Dark Eldar are cheap.

So I guess like Banshees are alright as they can ride in a assault vehicle now.

Raiders are not cheap, they have a 4th/5th edition point cost, and unless 7th edition means you can move 12", disembark, and assault, Striking Scorpions and Howling Banshees are still poo poo out of luck.

Wait, wait, wait, I'm missing the big picture: Howling Banshees are always bad. Even if their Banshee masks were fixed they are weak, fragile, and cost too much. This was true even before power weapons were changed from ignoring all armor saves.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 25, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Hahahahhahaha , loving Transcendant C'tan in normal play is broken.

This marks the very first time I have ever heard of anyone using any C'tan in a game. All I hear about is Ghost Arcs, Croissants, Mindshackle Scarabs, and the Death Ray.

Direwolf posted:

Unbound + my existing silly/fluffy Iyanden list + that silly Eldar haul I got last weekend =

Now all I need is more wraithlords.

Was about to mention how Eldar are among the few armies not harmed by the Monstrous Creature updates. Str10 rerolling hits all day er' day.

AgentF posted:

90 free summoned models by Turn 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryMAAP6HWfw

Welcome to 7th Ed.

Thinking of taking up tabletop gaming as a hobby? Watch this video first to change your mind!

I'm glad Bobby Kennedy could add his silky voice to the narration.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 25, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

I have mixed feelings about this. While it's good to have a new big kit (Knight sized ish?) it does kinda look like a box with a spindly little gun arm stuck to the side, with admittedly a cool looking gatling gatling gun. Would have been nicer to have a beefier arm. Also, I'm not sure if it's a walker, there's a possibility there's some track units hidden behind the squad of Boyz standing in front of it. Will have to wait for better pics before converting my own one.

That's a leg underneath the gatling gun, and the model is about half the size of a Knight. The Stompa is Knight sized.

Looking forward to rolling D6+D3 shots all day er' day.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Do you really play objectives at the end of the turn? That's kinda terrible, rather than gambling for it you just lay down the ones you got. I suppose the only difference it makes is that the opponent doesn't get tips on how to react- whether or not to Go To Ground to prevent your opponent from getting the Bloodthirsty objective, or to roll more dispel dice to stop a power that makes a unit run away, etc.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Moola posted:

Ughhh, this is why I can't play pick up games anywhere; it's always fuckers like this with no volume control, totally sober, yelling stupid poo poo about a loving board game.

WOOO! SWEET VICTORY! YOU OWNED HIM!

Ugh.

Between scaring off my girlfriend and people screetching things like, "My Sergeant is gonna RAPE YOU with his POWER FIST!!!" I couldn't stomach showing up there anymore. :reject:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

LordAba posted:

I could only make it 4 minutes in. Anyone want to summarize?

What Rulebook Heavily said. After many jump cuts the game ends after four hours, even the trust fund kid "narrating" the "game" sounds exhausted. No one is laughing anymore because it's dumb and not funny. The only reason the game didn't end sooner with Daemons player tabling the guy outright is that he summoned lots of Daemonettes instead of Horrors that would have shot the Space Marines off the table. And he was bad at the game.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Moola posted:

Ok, I'll stop now, I'm very sorry.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

So, the moral of the story is that Moola must set aside the emotions of regret and empathy and be like a true predator in the swamp?

THIS MCDONALD'S
IS TAINTED,
SQUAD BROKEN!

Content: my brother trolls eBay for deals on warhams all the time, I want to ask him a question but he has really poor impulse control so don't want to risk inspiring him to get more "gifts." Have the current line of Plaguebearers been showing up for good prices online? I really don't need more right now, but eventually I shall add one more group to complete the set (I have the stupid metal monkeybearers, converted WHFB Skeletons, and Dryads).

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Nice batrep, Chirurgeon! I enjoyed watching your Choose Not To Disclose Ethnicity Panthers look great and do stuff to ANAmal's Marines which are not painted and look like doodoo in comparison. Get them painted, ANAmal! :cmon:

Winson_Paine posted:

Just be cool people!

Oh, there was that. I've been a global moderator at a 40k site for (sweet jesus, over ten years now?) and initially gave myself the custom title, "Hey, aren't you the janitor?"

Genghis Cohen posted:

I hate being this guy, but gently caress it, a man can't change what he is:

It's "trawls". Like a trawler is a kind of fishing boat, 'trawling' is dragging a net to pick stuff up.

Sorry again.

Ah, that's right! I once knew that, somehow my own usage corrupted into "trolls." Keep trawlin,' trawlin,' trawlin,' (what). :buddy:

Edit: Auuugh! :psyduck:

I wonder why the Gorkonaut of all things has to be the only transport that pretends to care about scale issues. Six Orks??? Not even 12 so that you could stuff a unit of 6 Megaknobs inside?

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 26, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Wow, the Mega-kannon is even more disappointing than the punisher cannon was. Why does Games Workshop hate rotary guns even though they are among the top tier "rule of cool" nerd bait weapons? It took, what, six years before assault cannons became worth a drat again thanks to +1 shot and Rending?

Reminder: in 3rd Edition the assault cannon would jam on a to hit roll of triple 1's. When it jammed you couldn't use it for the rest of the game.

serious gaylord posted:

Who even takes flamers in squads when you can have a plasma/melta gun too?

My Raptor squads. I've always liked flamers, even when their rules were kinda bad, and now they just got better at actually clearing the area around the template instead of removing five doofs from the back edge.
:arghfist::commissar::shrek::v::v::v::v::v::v::v::flame:

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 26, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
drat, that is a sweet board.

The only time I made a game board it was a canyon setting. Looked pretty good, but after playtesting 40k In 40k Minutes on it I realized it was unplayable and never painted it, later scrapped it.

It was 24" by 24" if memory serves. :smith:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'd love to build more significant features but it's been my experience that there just isn't enough upside most of the time and it makes them a pain in the rear end to store. I will probably do 3 more 2x2 sections eventually though, with 2 more diagonal roads and 1 more river section to do a full-length river.

That's what was even worse than my building a static table from foam: I could have made three more 24"x24" sections but there was no way to store it all.

Never build a static, solid-feature board unless you own a hobby store or a warehouse. Or both.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Re: punisher cannon. It was slop when it came out, that is what I am comparing the mega-kannon to: the disappointment of when it was released. In the same vein I still like assault cannons, they were crap in 3rd edition, became absurdly broken in 4th, then simply worth taking in 5th/6th.

Re: Orks. Why aren't you skipping transports all together and taking loads of Shoota Boys? I still don't understand why hordes of Shoota Boys aren't a list that is often discussed. That it is not fun at all to paint hasn't stopped Imperial Guard hordes, that it isn't fun to play hasn't stopped other horde players.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

:gizz:

These are the best yet. Noticeably cleaner, nice details like the gem on the buckle and the wound on the aspiring squad leader.

RIP Sergeant, killed by a power fist because he did not have faith in his combat shield.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

So, "dry" paints are just GW paints with less water content? Cripes.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Don't work in New York. It does not matter what your job is.

I make more delivering tacos than I did running two companies in Florida so lol.

Hollismason posted:

Hemlock Fighter can summon Daemons...

Ahahhaa. :shrek:

So, the experience of playing 7th Edition can be summarized as having aniracetam dreams?

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 28, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The reason I believe that the cards are inherently broken is that in order to remain competitive, you have to build your list around them. Like Flyers and Psykers, this means you can no longer build lists with a specific strategy in mind. It's limiting.

After games we used to have a good time chatting about "oh, if I had moved off of that objective and gone for this other one" or "maybe I should have focused more fire on this unit" - going forward, its going to be "If I could've just drawn better cards..."

The cards effectively render a majority of the game pointless...

Everyone in my gaming group is valiantly defending the cards though, so if we can't house-rule them, I might be taking another break from the game.

When it stops being fun, it becomes a job. And I don't need another job.

TL;DR: The majority of people do not like strategy games they like party games. 5th Edition was judged to be too cerebral, (and darn it, it actually was in hindsight!) so 6th and 7th are the culmination of efforts to make 40k into a party game.

Note the many references in White Dwarf about "twists of fate!" and "tables turning." The cards are the epitome of that, anyone can win at any time, it makes nerds excited about things.

Unrelated: how many people forget to roll for Soulblaze when using Heldrakes?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Soulblaze is overly complicated and stupid but it does do a significant amount of damage against soft targets. Same reason why I never forget to fire combi/stormbolters on Rhinos, late game they can be the difference between a win and a loss.

Hey, guy that suggested putting Bloodletters in a Landraider:

I shat out this doodle in less than a minute. The idea is to have the hull of the vehicle be more like a rusty cage, spiny, runic, etc, allowing a view of the demons inside, mainly made out of plasticard. Lascannons on both sides (not pictured) are crewed by a cackling Bloodletter. Front ramp is some kind of maw. Possibly modeled to fit all 10/12 Bloodletters inside.

Good idea or best idea?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Warhammer 40k 7th Edition- Player Base, Broken Home, Everyone Get Mad And Fight Each Other.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Magic: The Gathering is a solid game ruined by intentionally unbalanced :shepspends: cards and lovely players. My girlfriend actually played Magic before I did, I have a stack of old cards that would be really fun to play, since I have absolutely no Control decks or other heinous bullshit. One Green deck does nothing but spit out heaps and heaps of Land just for the gently caress of it. I have a White deck that is just totally mundane stuff that punches stuff, no tricks at all. We're going to start playing it this week, should be loads of fun.

:reject: Player: "I'm playing a control deck, that means you can't spend mana, can't play cards, can't discard, can't play creatures, or do anything at all."

Rational Player: "Jesus christ, what the hell is wrong with you."

As with 40k, there is no stopping lovely players from being lovely, but certain systems can encourage and even monetize players to be shitlords.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
RE: DE. The Crucible Of Malediction hasn't been very good since 3rd Edition when it was scary as heck. However, now that netlist psychic defense may be swinging toward, "Take poo poo tons of psykers," the Crucible has an exceptional chance to do at least some damage.

Other than that ... you can always ignore the psychic phase by taking no psykers and buying more things that shoot or stab them. That stupid voodoo doll is merely a toy to reroll who gets to pick the deployment zone, right?

Lungboy posted:

Can I vote for ***?

There are two or three posters in this thread whom I like very much who are in the middle of total meltdowns, now you post this.

Please, don't mention that name!
                 /

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 28, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Sykic posted:

Interrupting 7th chat to bring you more shite I've painted. In spite of Phyresis's many protests, I made something that isn't a Librarian.

ME WANT HONEYCOMB THUNDERHAMMER! He looks more like a Sergeant than a Smashter Master but it's a beautiful model. I :h: purple, and regarding your belief that it looks ridiculous it's actually quite tame and reasonable for a 40k model.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

AbusePuppy posted:

Wave Serpents got a little easier to kill now that they no longer always have a save, but it's pretty trivial to find some cover most of the time (especially if you spent a couple points for ignoring Dangerous Terrain.) However, entirely overriding that is the fact that the Serpent now gets Objective Secured, meaning they can contest/steal objectives from most units in the game. This is absolutely huge- having to disembark those minimal Dire Avenger/Guardian squads could be quite fatal to your ability to score objectives, but now that the Serpent itself can do all the work they are much, much better than before.

You've been able to keep the squad inside the transport since, if I recall correctly, FAQ's beginning in 5th Edition. Before then, especially in 3rd Edition, units inside transports were in a pocket dimension of retardation, GW has slowly crept the unit into the same dimension as any other models even when they're not physically on the table. It began with measuring just about everything from the edge of the hull- leadership bubbles, psychic tests, throwing blood packs out the hatch, et cetera. That open topped transports take hits is the latest step of the trend.

It's still a boost due to Objective Secured, but the pulpy insides could remain in their tin can.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Maybe it was 5th Edition, then. That was when "DAVU" for Falcons and Wave Serpents happened, Dire Avenger Vehicle Upgrade to make them scoring.

Infinite Karma posted:

In 7th, you don't even need the squad inside. Dedicated transports have the same FOC as the unit that purchased them. So the empty Wave Serpent has objective secured, and the squad can hide in ruins back home.

Ahh, too right. 7th Edition: Your List Now Has Double The Troops Units It Had Before.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I'm not wasting money on a rulebook ever again. I may buy the starter set if it has new rules, otherwise I'll just ... you know. I have binders and they just priced the book so high that printer ink is cheaper (quite the feat, if you ask me).

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

A good example of the latter is how poor marines are in the rules compared to how they are portrayed in the fluff because if they were up to fluff snuff, they would simply roll over everything else.

Wait a cotton pickin' minute. I, for one, want tanks that are to scale and Space Marines that are to scale in proportion with the other models; I want them to have rules that reflect these proportions. That being said, how are Marines poor at all? They are "average" over all, but their value is in applying those numbers where they count, where pound-for-pound they do roll over everything.

Other than other Marines, then it's a :sissies: match unless the squad leaders become rage or someone has hot dice

In no other army of mine do I roll for a few dice from each transport and expect to kill at least a model or two or fire sidearms and expect to remove a half dozen models. With the usual exceptions if my line infantry in non-Marine fires at Space Marines I get a tiny thrill if even one of them dies.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Pacheeco posted:

Just "finished" my friend's 2nd Monolith he gave me free rein to paint. Pretty easy and enjoyable to paint overall; painted with sponges for the first time and pretty much just jumped in by doing a test paint on one of the gun arrays. Made the gold paint from scratch from VMA Aluminum and Daler Rowney FW Burnt Umber Ink. I know it really needs some wash on the gold in the recesses and then a dry brush of a lighter gold on the edges but I'm kinda burned out doing any more painting on it right now; I've been powering through it for the past 3 days that way it would be done by Saturday when my group will be playing. I also got to test the light box I built.

I might adapt the sponge painting for my Blood Angels because I can't stand painting solid red and every time I try to get back to them I end up disappointed.

That's one of the most unique Monolith paint jobs I have ever seen. The gold is flawless, I wondered for a moment if you used craft foil instead of paint. My first impression is, "Las Vegas retirement condo decor," though.

Boon posted:

I'm currently re-doing my Dire Avenger scheme and I ginned up a rough (unfinished) test model. What do you think of this?

Not bad. The model has a large number of base colors, you may find that applying colors from so many pots is tiresome, especially if you wish to add a three part highlight to each.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Slimnoid posted:

They're on 40mm bases despite not being bulky.

Why.

Their guns are goddamn huge and it's cinematic.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Lungboy posted:

New Big Gunz. New Shokk Attack? New Mad Doc?

Aww... I thought those were Wartraks! Does ... does this mean that model isn't getting updated? :orks:

Would be pretty easy to convert good looking ones from those Big Gunz, though.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Remember when I said the Flash Gitz are on big bases to fit the large proportions of their weapons?

Nevermind, I guess GW is still down as gently caress with having feet standing off the edge of bases. It's so 2nd edition, it's retro!

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Raphus C posted:

Did some more work on my Mega-Dredd:

:sbahj:

Seriously, that's great, love the pistol whipping hand used to yank a lever.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Random geeknerd thought for the day:

In 3rd edition you could rapid fire pistols, same as rapid fire weapons. It meant that Rangers/Pathfinders were even better than most people realized, could whip out the side arms and blaze n' praise. Imagine that with Rending in the latest Codex. **

I can tell you did just slap on the paint yet it looks amazing.

I had some of that lichen for so long it dried up and disintegrated. I have absolutely no idea how to seal in moisture to keep them supple, but I'll be damned if the way you used it doesn't look amazing.

**I will purchase to make this a legit emote as part of an army deal.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

The Sisko posted:

Did the wash on the axe like you guys said and they turned out great. Just a few small details and these guys will be done.

Next up on the chopping block will be my counts as Arjac Rockfist and Logan Grimnar (wolf pelt not shown).

Yeah, highlight those force axes like you did the armor (with the blue color, naturally). Highlight them hard.

Arjac? Logan who? Those are clearly finished Ghost Knights, just paint/flock the bases and they're golden. :ghost:

• Locked thread