Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
And as the old thread dies in a cataclysmic fury, a new one shall rise and gaze upon the universe.

I haven't had the chance to talk about the edition changes with my friends yet, I imagine it won't be all that much different seeing as I'm practically the only one using psykers at the local meta.

I've been painting more of my :siren: TYRANIDS :siren: as well, I'll post some pictures when I'm done for the day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ghost Hand posted:

Since it's the top of a new page I'll add some picturse of the Eldar army I am having painted for my wife!

Holy poo poo, those look nice!

All I have to share is another lovely phone photo of my recently completed Carnifex Brood with LOBSTER CLAWS:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
My group picked up the Relic Expansion, it was pretty fun!

High point of the game for me was my Exarch destroying a Stormlord Heavy Tank with an Ork Choppa :v:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

Do you have more pictures of the painted tokens? Those are really nice.

Sure thing:

I didn't paint all of them(it was a collaborative effort), but you can probably tell which one is my favourite!

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

Was it the Callidus that has paint rubbed off her breast? :heysexy:

I fixed that before uploading the pictures but goddamn :master:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
I totally called it:

Soulfucker posted:

I'm imagining a terrible goon project aiming to re-imagine the rules of Warhammer 40k.

"Imagine four Space Marines on the edge of an Aegis Defence Line..."

That being said, while I'm certainly not going to try and redesign the game by myself, I'll happily look at a genuine attempt to rewrite some fun rules. Maybe.
I did play with the 2nd Edition Battle Bible rules once with one of my long time friends and some of those battles we had were the most fun I've ever had with the hobby, despite being absolutely chaotic!

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

JerryLee posted:

I looked at the 2nd Edition Battle Bible and was pretty :vince: at how complicated it made a lot of the stuff seem. Maybe that's just because I had to scroll through it as a PDF rather than having it as a bound book, but that's one reason I hope this experiment can produce something that's as lightweight as possible and fits on top of the 6E/7E rules, rather than trying reinvent them.

When we played I made some "codexes" if you will by gathering the relevant rules for each faction we played with in separate printer-friendly packages. It made playing the actual game relatively manageable.

I agree with the sentiment that 6th is the most polished edition GW has made yet (haven't had the chance to play 7th yet), but on a personal level I loved the poo poo out of the batshit crazy situations you ended up with thanks to the 2nd edition ruleset - especially the vehicle rules! (Hello chain-reaction crashes!)

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

This is fantastic!

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Neither rage nor furious charge work when the charge is disordered.

AbusePuppy posted:

Also Rampage, for some reason.

After taking some time off my Eldar to play an assault-oriented Tyranid list(:shepicide:) recently, I sometimes wonder which designer at GW made these rules and how much she or he must despise close combat in the 40k universe. What horrid tabletop trauma could possibly have caused this?

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
That model looks weird. Luckily, it's still very much possible to have fun with regular Tyranid models these days:

:siren: Incoming picture dump :siren:

Tyranids versus World Eaters - mission rolled was Emperor's Will but who cares watch models get STUCK IN:

Chaos Lord on Juggernaut in a Challenge with a Devourer Tyrant - both ended up murdering each other simultaneously :black101:

3 Carnifexes reaching a Berserker blob with a charge - it did not end well for the traitors :getin:

<- this guy is hosed

In the end, it was a decisive 5 - 1 victory for the bugs when my buddy called the game at the end of the 5th turn - but playing a game with so much action going on in the assault phase was really fun for both of us!

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Forums Terrorist posted:

This is probably a terrible list given that I haven't played since 5th edition. :v:

In my experience a terrible list can still do well provided you're blessed with a gaming circle that loves that kind of list-building! I've been playing melee-centric Tyranids lately and it's been going remarkably well for some stupid reason, probably because the people I'm playing with have as terrible if not worse lists. My proof is this extremely blurry cellphone camera of a Carnifex Brood successfully reaching an infantry platoon which somehow couldn't stop them despite being backed up by a Basilisk battery and a Leman Russ:

tl;dr Never stop dreaming. No one can take away your dreams.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh are we doing progress posts? I'm in:

Shrouded Carnifexes? :getin:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Soulfucker posted:

Oh are we doing progress posts? I'm in:

Shrouded Carnifexes? :getin:

Played this together with a Carnifex Brood, Acid Tyrannofex and some regular Tyrants in a 2000 pts game against a buddy's Tau gunline list.

It was a terrific slaughter :black101:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
Completed my Tyrannofex:

Now it's just swarms upon of gaunts left to finish painting :v:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

ineptmule posted:

What about Eldar and their dedicated transport that is superior to most factions' MBTs?

I used Wave Serpents before they were obscenely good, now everyone looks at me weird when I field them and I wish they'd put that effort on the Falcon instead :v:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
Painted up a Praetor counts-as Chapter Master as a birthday gift for my brother:

I'm terrible at photos, but pretty happy at how it has turned out so far regardless. :)

edit:

JerryLee posted:

That's pretty awesome indeed. The only caveat I would mention is that the Tyranid parts are way too close in hue to the armor color.

Thanks! I agree about the hue issue, but that's the scheme I use for my Tyranids so it can't be helped :v:

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 17, 2014

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

panascope posted:

brilliance

Bring back the EoW Unspiration thread thanks in advance

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

I would love for an SA Un-Inspiration thread. It was my favorite art of EoW.

It would be the best spin-off thread possible.

Hell, I'll dig up some old goodies:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

DO IT TO IT posted:

To be fair, that terribly painted Daemon Prince is actually kinda terrifying.

AbusePuppy posted:

Screw you, buddy, I like the idea of that Tau drone carrier. :colbert:

ijyt posted:

This is actually kind of awesome.

Babe Magnet posted:

I actually think this is pretty awesome if you look at it less like "Sexy Marine" and more like a Ring of the Nibelung style operatic/stage theatric marine. Imagine this fucker riding in on a Mechanical Pegasus belting out a gnarly soprano while slaying heretics.

At this point I'm dreading the post where someone jumps in and starts defending the greenstuff Trygon abomination.

Yesss

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
Some nice games you've got there, BC & SRM!

I played two games yesterday, the first pitted my Tyranids against a Sororitas list and the other was a rematch against my Khornate Space Marine buddy. Unfortunately I only have one picture of the second game, but rest assured knowing there was a continuous assault from turn 1 onward:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
Played a game against my brothers Space Marines:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
Did you at some point wonder what an IG army pushed back and encircled around 1/16th of the table looks like? Well wonder no more:

:getin:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Potential BFF posted:

Doesn't look like it, but can you fit a standard terminator head on the terminator Praetor?

WhiskeyJuvenile already demonstrated that they don't really fit, but Grey Knight Terminator helmets fit just fine with a bit of work as you can see on this one I made a month ago or so:

Soulfucker posted:

Painted up a Praetor counts-as Chapter Master as a birthday gift for my brother:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
e;fb: It has a "Instinctive Fire" special rule so that's probably what dictates how many weapons it can fire and at what target(s). It's neat that they are adding Spore Pod rules for Tyranids again, even though it will probably be overcosted. :v:

edit: VVV I was thinking about my wallet.

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 3, 2014

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
Adding more extremely blurry phone shots of the Tyranids I've been working on the past couple of days since it seems topical:

Genestealer and Ravener broods. Someone earlier in the thread said they were boring to paint, I have no idea what they are talking about.

I took off the Devourer arms from this Tyrant in order to give it Crushing Claws instead, so it can look cool leading my two broods of Carnifexes. No regrets. :getin:

Finally I've been working on some objective markers for 7th edition games. Text on flag reads "MOBILE INFANTRY".

This post might have been more suited for the painting thread but I only post 40k-related stuff in here anyway v:v:v

Mango Polo posted:

On the other hands, broods of them do look loving cool.

Sure do!

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

What is the point of releasing an expansion book in limited edition, and then not even having enough copies to withstand an evening's sales?

Huh, would you look at that, it's actually gone and I was thinking about picking that up as well. Oh well? v:v:v

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
Doesn't look like the book has a formation I'd be interested in, since I don't run any Gargoyles. Well, too bad, then I don't have to buy it I guess :v:

Had another game today against my World Eaters buddy, pictures courtesy of him:

Chaos Deployment and closeup:

Tyranids after turn 1 and closeup:

Midgame, everything is a huge clusterfuck:

Heldrake doing its thing, Carnifexes moments before wrecking a Defiler:

Game ended when the swarm outlasted the Chaos Marines after several sustained rounds of combat and controlled both objectives. It was pretty fun!

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 19, 2014

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

WAR FOOT posted:

I'm watching someone teach a new player how to play.

He has generously loaned some intro marines to the prospective player, and is now sweeping the guy with Trukkboyz and klaws.

The new player does not look enthused.

Hams are bad at social interaction? :eyepop:

Unrelated, looking over the formations from the Baal book again, the spore mine one actually looks exactly like what my assault-oriented Tyranids needs to distract gunlines for a turn or two. Now to find the cheapest Mucolid-lookalike... :v:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
Out of curiosity, does anyone in this thread who owns a Hierophant mind sharing information about assembling/transporting one? I've considered getting one next year because clearly I do not have enough plastic space bugs. I'd love to see some pictures of one on the table, since I haven't been able to find a lot of good ones through image search.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Great photos and a nice idea for the assembly, if I do pull through with it I'll probably try something similar (and steal your idea for the Swarm Incubator upgrade :v:).

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
My FLGS hosted their largest 40k Duals tournament yet with 16 teams; me and most of my gaming circle ended up participating and I had lots of fun despite not being a competitively minded player at all!

I took my Eldar out for a spin together with my buddy's Chaos Space Marines and we ended up in 4th place, the winner was a guy bringing in his Dark Eldar who apparently played really well.

Anyway, have some pictures:

Our team Khaine and Khorne, True Love:

Warp Spiders and Cultists ambushing a group of outflanking Kroots:

Distortion Cannon battery taking a hill so they can nuke some more Orks:

The infamous Juggernaut Chaos Lord with the Axe of gently caress Everything takes on a menacing Warboss in the third game:
The Ork did not win this day

Some Sisters of Battle trapped by advancing Tyranids:

More pictures found here.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
My personal interpretation is that the Laser Lock rule was never meant to affect the shield burst of the Wave Serpent (I don't run Scatter Lasers on mine, since Star Cannons are baller) but GW's rules writing being what it is, what can you do? Like, why does a TL Scatter Laser on the Wave Serpent cost 5 points, but a non-TL Scatter Laser on my Falcon is 15? :v:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

This is a really good idea. Something that should go in the rules/description for each vehicle with its entry in the relevant codex.

While they're at it I'd like the 2nd Edition vehicle damage tables back, that poo poo was the best.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sephyr posted:

[...] Daemon Princes needs to be a bit more like Tyranid big beasts: more options for specific builds, T6, 5 wounds, and able to get a 2+ save if they have no wings

Where is the supplement that lets me do this with my walking Hive Tyrants? :v:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I thought it was interesting. I'm supposedly suppose to play against it at some point, my friends obsessed with Hive Tyrants.

There is a lot you can call lists like these, but I don't think "interesting" is the word that comes to mind. :v:

Also, merry Christmas, 40k thread! :toot: I got my Spawn of Cryptus in the mail the other day, so expect pictures in a week or so when I get around to painting it.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you clarify what stuff your models have before it might become an issue (before the game or during deployment for example) there shouldn't really be any problems of that sort ever.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
Actually, Warp Spiders own and I had my full squad of 9 before they were bonkers good. :colbert:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fix posted:

Quick question for the nid players: Zoanthropes manifesting Warp Blast on the turn they rolled out of a Tyrannocyte: legit?

Sounds about right to me, since you generate powers in the Psychic Phase after movement is done now.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

My favorite were the ones simulating the Starcraft missions where you have to hold out for 20 mins. Defender sets up in the middle of the table while the attacker gets to deploy from all four edges. Defender gets an extra 500 points but anything the attacker loses gets redeployed the following turn.

I have to try setting up something like this, at least I've got enough models for it:

Game Setup.

Bug deployment (I rolled the Warlord Trait that lets you infiltrate 3 non-vehicle units).

FIGHTS

RAWR

Two blobs duking it out for control of an objective

Tyrant with Carnifex backup engages the opposing Warboss and Nob Squad (everything died) :black101:

In the end the Nids won with 8 to 6 VPs. It was fun!

edit: fixed broken URL.

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
Apparently there is some poor gently caress in Alaska that's more isolated by frozen wasteland than I. :v:

• Locked thread