Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
If the changes from 6th aren't that drastic and can be condensed into a few pages, I think our group might adopt 7th rules using our 6th Ed rulebooks. Save ourselves $85 for the books and just buy the cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

ghetto wormhole posted:

I have the book now if you have any specific questions.

Also I did this because I hate myself and everyone around me, but I especially hate money: :vomarine:

Great job, now Lowtax is gonna get a C&D from Games Workshop... And probably Romeo, for good measure.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Let's do some real talk for a minute...

So I've started buying my DKoK army, with a full platoon and 12 Russes in the mail, as well as designs for a Baneblade, a Hydra, some Chimeras, etc...

I've been made to feel really guilty for going into heavy mech for a traditionally footslogging army. The DKoK fluff really doesn't suit what I plan to build...

How horrible would it look, and how stupid would I feel (if DKoK gets an update) - if I painted my DKoK army as Armageddon Steel Legion?

There are noticeable differences, the lack of goggles, the length of the coat, the helmet... And I don't want to do a deep conversion on all of the models, but it seems like this could give me a cool and unique army. But would it look right? Would I just hate myself for not painting them as Krieg?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

SRM posted:

That would just be coming full circle honestly:

They'd look cool in the Steel Legion color scheme. You'd be fine.

This essentially convinced me to do it, in that paint scheme as well. It's kind of a mix of the two, so I won't feel awful running them as both from time to time.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

So I bought some Leman Russes (mind you, I haven't touched IG in almost 7 years) - and neither kit came with a dozer blade or the covers for the tracks... Are those not part of the new kits?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Zark the Damned posted:

AFAIK when they re-cut the Leman Russ with all the Turret options they removed the accessory sprue. Same with the Demolisher version and the Hellhound. I think the only tank box which comes with one is the Chimera. They are sold separately on the site if you need them though - http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Imperial-Guard-Tank-Accessories

So... They're more expensive now, and come with less stuff?

Ugh. So I have to buy a dozen of these, too. Great.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Zark the Damned posted:

Pretty much, though they do have all the turret and sponson options in the kit (original LRBT kit only had HB sides and a Las front). Guess it's a trade off.

If you only want Dozer Blades there are a bunch of 3rd party manufacturers who make those, e.g. Puppetswar http://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=71 - however they're not that much cheaper than just getting the sprues.

I'd like the whole sprue - according to GW's site they're temporarily out of stock. I hope I'm not chasing these for 6 months, ugh.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

So, just got done playing 3k Space Marines versus 1500 Orks & 1500 Tyranids in a 2 on 1.

The objective cards completely break the game. Every card they drew was giving them victory points for poo poo in their deployment zone, which I was never going to get to, and all of my cards were in their deployment zone as well.

Despite the fact that my Terminators, Honor Guard and Chapter Master handily kept the hordes at bay, with Warlordx2, First Blood, and 3 Objectives, I still lost by a whopping 18-4 because of the cards... :stare:

I don't want to get all butthurt on the internet over losing a game, because I don't mind losing, but the game had enough randomness with alpha strikes and, y'know, rolling dice every turn... The cards just essentially randomly assign a winner based on the luck of deployment.

edit: I conceded on turn 3.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

The reason I believe that the cards are inherently broken is that in order to remain competitive, you have to build your list around them. Like Flyers and Psykers, this means you can no longer build lists with a specific strategy in mind. It's limiting.

After games we used to have a good time chatting about "oh, if I had moved off of that objective and gone for this other one" or "maybe I should have focused more fire on this unit" - going forward, its going to be "If I could've just drawn better cards..."

The cards effectively render a majority of the game pointless...

Everyone in my gaming group is valiantly defending the cards though, so if we can't house-rule them, I might be taking another break from the game.

When it stops being fun, it becomes a job. And I don't need another job.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

You guys do know there's still the old set of missions, right? If the Maelstrom (Wackiness) of War isn't suitably cinematic just play the Eternal War missions.

I'm with you, there. But my gaming group is in love with the cards for some reason. I feel like a sourpuss because they seem unbalanced to me, but the rest of the group disagrees.

The argument one guy made to me was, "It gives Dave a chance," - Dave being our awful player. I don't mind balancing so Dave has a chance, but making the entire game rely on a card draw goes a little too far.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

40k is, was, and probably always will be a d6 based game. Random bullshit has always been a thing. This poo poo is checkers, it's never been chess.

Randomization within a unit's mechanics versus the overall metagame is apples and oranges.

The cards remove any strategy you would normally take from turn to turn in a mission, and the game becomes "Simon Says" based on the cards, rewards irreverent unit behavior over a cohesive strategy.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

jng2058 posted:

This is what the new Tactical Warlord abilities are all about. Objective Deck management. Go Battle-Forged to get the re-roll and pick Tactical every time so you can manipulate the deck. You won't get "discard two every turn" each and every time, but you'll get something regarding the deck each game.

So, ignore two-thirds of the Warlord Traits to make the cards slightly less imbalanced?

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Where did I say anything about home-brewing? My whole point was that the missions he prefers are still available to play in the Eternal War set, and to stop playing because you don't like one of two optional mission systems is a little bit of an overreaction.

The problem is, my local 40k group has embraced the cards wholeheartedly, and are no longer interested in the Eternal War missions. So what are my options?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

"Hi, I don't like those card missions, would you mind playing the old ones for this game?" Surely they're not all pricks?

It's true, this is the workaround. Only most of them are pricks. :v:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

I thought you were proposing it as a cure-all. My mistake.

I'm honestly trying not to be such a downer. But my playgroup (about a dozen guys) have all agreed they like the cards, arent interested in house-ruling, and want to use them for the campaign were about to start, which leaves me in a precarious position.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Esser-Z posted:

I really wish 40k had rules I wanted to play, because I love the aesthetics. Alas.

If Dakka, Warseer and Reddit werent so scared of litigation that they could discuss the rules, I would love to see the community at large crowdsource and playtest a completely alternate set of rules.

poo poo... We could do it here. Appoint a committee of Fluff/'Ard players as the final say and spitball until we had something balanced and fun...

Then we could all get a second mortgage on our homes to pay for the impending legal fees...

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Indolent Bastard posted:

How does the Necromunda Community Edition continue to exist without litigation? I know it's a "dead" system, but GW still owns the IP and everything associated with it.

I guess as long as youre not charging for it, they technically give you permission to "house rule" stuff in WD... Warhammer 40k: House Rules Edition

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Panzeh posted:

The thing is, so many people want so many different things out of the game. I mean, do you keep the same scale(in terms of figure counts, a significant change from 2nd to 3rd ed), the bucket of dice mechanics? Do you have alternating activations, individual unit activations, or do you keep the sequential phase system? Or do you do something different.

There's a lot of cool mechanics out there, but they would require substantial changes to the 40k rule framework.

It's mob rule, in my theory. You vote in 5-6 guys from the community. They hash out the outline, and send the rest to be voted on piece by piece. The community tests it, gives feedback, a decision is made.

Edit: double post sorry :v:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Panzeh posted:

I'm not sure this is going to result in a game that's at all interesting.

To me, fleshing this out and helping playtest would be more fun than sweating through 7th...

If we get mod approval, would anyone be interested in a thread for a 40k House Rules Edition?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

You would have to keep something core, otherwise GW gets you for competition even though the rules are free. It must "require" the 40k books for some stuff. Period. Otherwise you're setting yourself up for failure.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

PeterWeller posted:

My understanding is that you can't copyright rules, just presentation. So we just gotta change names, like fleet to swift and Weapon Skill to Melee Ability, and avoid fluff and use generic names like Evil Space Elf Monster Trainer, and we'd be untouchable. :v:

If its a new game, yes. If we're house ruling 40k, and its free, then we can use their USRs and just say "X is no longer applicable, Unit Y gets Z"

We have to appoint a committee. If people start theorycrafting on their own, the effort splinters and then its exactly what we have now, different groups running different rules.

We elect 5 goons, and 2 each from Warseer, Dakka, B&C, etc. Itll be a large group and there will be disagreements, but everything is mob rule and goes to a vote. Its the only way to get a true representative cross section of the player base.

It could work, and it wouldnt be that hard. A few google docs, a dedicated thread and the community willing to playtest. It could work, if we dont splinter.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

For better or worse (as this will likely all fall apart) - go use this poll to nominate for the committee, which I will help organize and then recuse myself from, to maintain some semblence of fairness.

http://goo.gl/NKkrAA

And if this all goes tits up, so be it. But its worth a shot. We will need at least 5 goons familiar with multiple codices, as well as multiple editions and other games. Think of who you know thats been around the longest, is a good player, knows the fluff and any other relevent and important qualifier for someone helping determine a concise set of balanced "House Rules" - and remember, they may not want to take part...

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'm sorry, but I have absolutely zero faith in the ability of some idealised pan-forum Council of the Spergers to produce a workable, streamlined, fun revision for 40k. Even less so that it would gain any sort of acceptance within the community.
Furthermore I think it is, frankly, stupid to be proposing it as a reaction to a new set of rules that has been available for all of five days.

Ok, cool.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Assuming this House Rule Edition goes somewhere - what are the top priorities for fixing?

Allied Matrix - Space Wolves and GK do not like each other, etc.
Allies & FOC Limitations & balancing
Mission Cards - limiting random outcomes by removing cards or changing draw/decks available - truly forge a narrative versus "Simon Says"
Eternal War Mission Inclusion
Assault - limit randomization while allowing failure
Psychic Abuse - preventing abuse without nerfing altogether
Psychic Focus - Picking & Purchasing Psychic Powers
Tyranid/Ork Psyker fix
Tau/Necron Denial fix
Knight/Super Heavy inclusion & Balancing (D Weapons?)

edit: This is NOT a ground up game, this is fixing 7th for a wider audience.

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 28, 2014

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

JerryLee posted:

I think that the mandate w/r/t assault should be broader than that. Basically, just buff assault to where it's an option on par with shooting/artillery. Maybe the way to do that is by reducing randomization; maybe it's by nerfing Overwatch a little, maybe it's by allowing assault from outflank/deepstrike.

Also, I can't stress enough that I feel these houserules should explicitly be intended to be playable with 6E as well as 7E. A significant portion of your "target audience," so to speak, will be people who do not want to buy the 7E rulebook, at least in its current form, in the first place. Since 6E and 7E are so similar it should be eminently doable to make this a patch that works with either one.

6E and 7E are virtually indistinguishable, aside from the stuff we're fixing, so, as far as I'm concerned, this will be modular enough to be compatible with both... But it'll boil down to whoever ends up in charge, I'm just trying to get a task list going and organize a field for the committee to work on.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

I'm turning in for the night, but if there isn't a thread by morning, I will make one. Indolent Bastard is helping me get things organized so that we can work on things in a timely manner, but start saving all your House Rule chat for the House Rules thread...

Y'know, once we get mod approval.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

I'll have the HOUSE RULES thread up in a few...

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

poo poo. I just posted mine. I'll close it, steal what you want from here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638438

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder if the new Ork codex will focus any on the ongoing third war of Armageddon? On the heels of the new IG book, I bet a Steel Legion expansion book could be around the corner too...

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

adamantium|wang posted:

Nope.

Yep.

Nope.

Nope.

Can someone else confirm/deny this Drop Pod strategy? Our local groups rules lawyer is disputing adamantiumwang's interpretation.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

PantsOptional posted:

Under the Sudden Death Victory section:

There's no exception made for all-Reserves armies as there may have been in prior editions, and since by definition they can't come in until the second game turn, Drop Pod army loses. Unless I'm missing something here.

Half of the drop pods drop on turn one, so that's not an issue.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

jng2058 posted:

On what grounds? Everything can score and no one can find a "Drop Pods don't score" rule anywhere.

He maintains that immobilized vehicles cannot score.

I'm inclined to agree with you, though.

Slimnoid posted:

Also, Deathwing armies can decide to all arrive on turn 1 OR 2, so there's that. Which is a minor boost for DW players.

If you have no models on the table at the end of any turn, you lose, though.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Slimnoid posted:

GAME turn, not PLAYER turn. With Deathwing Assault, you could decide to keep an entire army of Terminators in reserve and deploy them on turn 1, possibly denying the opposing army a whole turn of shooting.

Obviously you'd have to decide to do all this poo poo on turn 1, otherwise yeah you auto-lose.

Yeah thats what im saying. Delaying til turn 2 is an auto lose.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

So I proposed the drop pods as a way to combat the randomness of the Maelstrom cards in our local group, only to see it immediately house ruled out because it's cheesy and broken.

:sigh:

I'm so close to giving up.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Raphus C posted:

Just keep your own score.

At the end of the day who is going to care? You want to play a different game to them anyway.

It's for our campaign that will eat up the majority of our games over the next 10 weeks.

:smithicide:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

They made drop pods not scoring.

I went overboard bitching about how unbalanced the cards are, and how they essentially turn any game into a card draw, regardless of what happens on the tabletop. Since they all refuted it and embraced the cards, anything I've brought to the table since has been effectively seen as trying to circumvent the cards.

Which, to be fair, I am trying to do. They told me to try and come up with ways to stay competitive despite the randomness of the cards, so I did... And they house ruled it.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Raphus C posted:

loving ignore them.

The door isn't going to be busted down by the inquisition. You will disagree about the scores at the end of the game. Does it matter?

Stop trying to persuade these people.

It doesn't matter, of course. It's just space Barbies. But it is spirit breaking. I was going to just take a break from the group to paint my new IG army, but then I realized they're using my PE tiles, and I kind of wrote the campaign (until the group rewrote most of it), so I feel obligated to play. I don't want to be a poor sport.

They're not as bad as I probably make them sound. There are a few characters, for sure, but they're not really the awful grognards you'd typically imagine...

They just loving love those cards without rationale or understanding.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Ghost Hand posted:

I love the cards too if I am being honest. But I'm not going to cripple an opponent just because they come up with a good solution.

I would go back and re-read what you JUST wrote (quoted above)....

- They are using YOUR PE tiles
- They re-wrote the campaign you spent time writing/organizing(?)
- They are making rules changes which specifically target you.

You came here and started venting about them - so clearly you are upset about it... don't start making excuses now.

Let me ask this - what are the armies these other gamers are playing in this campaign?

I am frustrated, I admit. I win maybe 1 out of 5 games, but I dont mind losing because Im losing based on what happens on the tabletop. The cards frustrate me because of lovely draws. They remove my ability to "get better" because its all loving random.

The other armies are Necrons, Nids, two Tau, two Orks, and Chaos SM. Edit: and Blood Angels edit2: and Eldar. gently caress.

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 30, 2014

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

But the pods do score... We've been over this... It doesn't matter.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Good call with using the drops that way. I'm probably gonna steer clear of them altogether. I'm now being labeled a "hyper-competitive math-hammering shitbag" in the local hams group, so gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Von Humboldt posted:

Yeah, I was going to suggest a middle of the road thing - Drop Pods score, but not on the first turn they land nor if they've lost a Hull Point, meaning that your enemy has to at least spend a little time working them over but doesn't have a 1 HP broken piece of poo poo scoring on Turn 5, or they only score as long as the dropped unit is alive, or something - but these guys sound like twats. poo poo, if these are casual games, they really have no excuse for being that salty about scoring Pods that they resort to bitter name calling.

The reason it's funnier than it is offensive is I'm he least competitive person in the group. I don't own a single flyer (aside from my Caestus which is always in hover) or psyker. I bring fluffy lists and I rarely win. Which again, doesn't bother me. I'm the Prince of Close Games.

• Locked thread