Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minsky
May 23, 2001

Interact breaks even when it's bound to a key. Need to relog to fix it as far as I can tell (reloadui doesn't help). I think they broke it in one of these patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mello Yello
Dec 27, 2004

Let's Samurize, Guys!
I really like the idea of Steer but I'm worried that the while thing is just too buggy so I'm scared to try it... plus I'm pretty used to holding mouse buttons for movement. Does it really make the game feel different?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mello Yello posted:

I really like the idea of Steer but I'm worried that the while thing is just too buggy so I'm scared to try it... plus I'm pretty used to holding mouse buttons for movement. Does it really make the game feel different?

Steer is great for combat in this game, but the settings feel kind of wonky - When I had Champions set up somewhat similarly, I would have rightclick be bound to toggle mouselook, but in Champions the interact/F key worked reliably and it doesnt (currently) in WildStar. I have Steer set up to toggle on/off with LMB, hold Alt to get a mouse cursor (for clicking things like quest doodads or the incoming call button) and have all 3 bottom options (automatically turn on in combat, automatically turn off when interacting with UI, something else) set to off.

It works okay until you need to drop a ground targeted ability, at least.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Mello Yello posted:

I'm probably going to be the only person that thinks Steer is disadvantageous. It's nice and all, since you don't have to hold RMB so much, but it also kind of removes your ability to do camera-look without turning your character (LMB). When I'm playing I'm constantly switching between LMB and RMB to keep an eye on my surroundings, and having turning be automatic with camera movement would be kind of off-putting for that.

Additionally, you end up having trouble with the admittedly few skills that require clicking on the ground to place a zone, and you have to work around that.

If for some reason you can't stand to hold RMB for extended periods of time, which is understandable by all means, Steer is great, but I think anyone that can handle holding RMB should for the inherent additional camera control it offers.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Kelp Plankton posted:

I think this Wildstar game is off to a wild start. Little word play for you there. Just bringing some levity to the table. Cheers.

With Kelp on the trail, this game can't end up anything but Wildstar...

Good to see Kewpuh is acting like a Wildstar...

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
So, to kinda turn the normal question line on its head, what classes do you guys not like playing as and why?

TheDart
Jan 7, 2010

The only class I didn't enjoy was Esper, and it was the lack of mobility (in the early levels I played) that did it for me.

Maybe if I hadn't tried Spellslinger first, I don't know. I still think it's a badass class, it just isn't for me.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Warrior and Spellslinger were my least favorites. Warrior really surprised me as I almost always gravitate towards warrior type classes in other MMOs. I can't really figure out why either, but just the other 4 classes piqued my interest more. Probably most interested in Esper and Stalker, or maybe Engineer.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Brackhar posted:

So, to kinda turn the normal question line on its head, what classes do you guys not like playing as and why?

Esper still hasn't clicked with me. The stand still resource builder is obnoxious and I find the mobile builder awkward. I'll give it another fair shake at release and see if it grows on me.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Brackhar posted:

Warrior - Oh boy I can play WoW all over again :rolleyes:

Stalker - Ditto

Spellslinger - I dunno, took a look at their abilities and nothing really struck me as interesting.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Brackhar posted:

Warrior and Stalker for me, just because they're melee-range classes. It's a lot harder to reliably keep things in your telegraph when everything is running around AND you also have to stay out of telegraphs yourself.

I don't like how the starting Esper attack/builder is immobile but apparently there are mobile options later. Still not sure how I feel about almost all (all?) of their heals being targeted instead of telegraphed, though.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Pesterchum posted:

Esper still hasn't clicked with me. The stand still resource builder is obnoxious and I find the mobile builder awkward. I'll give it another fair shake at release and see if it grows on me.

There's an option somewhere to "hold button to continue casting", use that instead of mashing 1 with the sword builder.

e: on second thought there was another similar option right next to that; maybe that was it. check both anyway

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Smith Comma John posted:

There's an option somewhere to "hold button to continue casting", use that instead of mashing 1 with the sword builder.

e: on second thought there was another similar option right next to that; maybe that was it. check both anyway

That is much better, this esper thing just might work out for me. Thanks!

Edit: Apparently you can't interrupt your channeled builder to use a finisher until you finish using all three blades. Esper went back to being kind of cumbersome to me.

Pesterchum fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 24, 2014

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Brackhar posted:

I will probably avoid Stalker, it wasn't bad but i am too fumbly and uncoordinated to play it without slowing way the gently caress down. Some people can PvP like art with those too but I usually get bludgeoned out of stealth and owned in an instant while I'm trying to set up an advantage. The rest of the classes I played I eventually got in a rhythm where I was pretty much a wrecking ball, and while I'm still not invincible in PvP I feel less like I'm dead immediately if I make one fuckup.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

CrashCat posted:

I will probably avoid Stalker, it wasn't bad but i am too fumbly and uncoordinated to play it without slowing way the gently caress down. Some people can PvP like art with those too but I usually get bludgeoned out of stealth and owned in an instant while I'm trying to set up an advantage. The rest of the classes I played I eventually got in a rhythm where I was pretty much a wrecking ball, and while I'm still not invincible in PvP I feel less like I'm dead immediately if I make one fuckup.

Playing the Stalker is about picking fights well. Mercing a dude at full health will be difficult since reinforcements have a tendency to show up but anyone near forty percent health is dead. Stalkers played right are the closest thing to immortal this game has.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I tried four classes - in order of most enjoyable to least it'd be

Medic
Esper
Spellslinger
Engineer

I felt like my Engineer was really... slow-ish? Killing most things felt like they took a long time, I rarely got enough volativeity or whatever it's called to use my big guns more than once or twice in a fight against something big.

Spellslinger was good, I just wasn't a fan of the aesthetics of their moves.

Espers were not mobile which kinda sucked, but they had my favorite animations. Seriously, their animations are awesome.

Medics were just sweet. Mobile, felt quicker.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Brackhar posted:

Brackhar, I love your questions - but tell me, are you asking these questions because you need your development fix since you left Riot?

^ Ignore this question, it's mostly asked as a joke. For real though, get a job at Carbine and use your incredible fun-making skills to make the game even fun-er.

Mastodon Compound
Oct 2, 2012
I'm having trouble choosing which class I like most. killing ironically seemed easiest with the medic, but the warrior was, of course, fun. The Engineer seemed different than what we're normally used to, ranged tank, but it felt slow for killing to me as well.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sedisp posted:

Playing the Stalker is about picking fights well. Mercing a dude at full health will be difficult since reinforcements have a tendency to show up but anyone near forty percent health is dead. Stalkers played right are the closest thing to immortal this game has.
Oh, believe me, I understand and I look for a good opportunity, but all too often I'm either suddenly clipped by a telegraph while I'm trying to stay out, or I'm unable to get the 'back' of the fight because they're gyrating in all directions. Just not cut out for that I guess.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

El_Phantasmo_loco posted:

I'm having trouble choosing which class I like most. killing ironically seemed easiest with the medic, but the warrior was, of course, fun. The Engineer seemed different than what we're normally used to, ranged tank, but it felt slow for killing to me as well.

I'm in a similar seat. At the end of open beta I was absolutely certain, heart set and that I was going to play medic set in stone, but then I played some warrior again over the last few days and... well, I'm leaning back towards warrior rather heavily. Only downside is they can't be chua, but I'll live.

The trick to the engineer seems to be to make big pulls, since you can whittle down a large number of enemies at once if you're solo:ing, much like a paladin in wow wrath-era or so. That speeds up questing rather a lot I found.

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

Having played all the other classes, Engineer is my least favorite class. For the last few weeks, I've been oscillating between Warrior and Stalker. They've been the best for PvE up to level 20. The warrior excels at survivability. The stalker excels at both huge burst damage and exiting combat when things go south.

I've had the most fun playing the warrior. It's the easiest for PvE due to the combination of survivability and all the telegraphs typically being an easy to aim, large arc in front of me.

I was recently reminded that I need to focus on PvP. If I can find a way to not completely suck at PvE on my medic, I may choose that class.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Brackhar, I love your questions - but tell me, are you asking these questions because you need your development fix since you left Riot?

^ Ignore this question, it's mostly asked as a joke. For real though, get a job at Carbine and use your incredible fun-making skills to make the game even fun-er.

Nah, I'm asking because my first class choice tends to be really important in deciding if I stick with a MMO or not. I hate redoing leveling content, so I've only got a few shots to try and get things right.

Thanks for the compliment though! Hopefully I'll be able to talk about the studio I ended up at soon.

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias
Time is running out!!!

Vote in the very important poll!!!

http://wildstargoons.com/forums/index.php?threads/a-very-important-poll.32/

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
So I caved and bought it. Goddamn this game has a great art style.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Doublestep posted:

the mouse buttons seem to dislike being used while you're holding rmb, think its a bug.

They said they fixed that a few patches ago, guess not. I hope there's a trial or that the friend codes are plenty so I can see whether the game still runs like poo poo for me.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Brackhar posted:

I didn't like dps Medic. It might as well be a melee with the way it plays, is pretty much the issue that I had.

Mastodon Compound
Oct 2, 2012

IRSmurf posted:

Having played all the other classes, Engineer is my least favorite class. For the last few weeks, I've been oscillating between Warrior and Stalker. They've been the best for PvE up to level 20. The warrior excels at survivability. The stalker excels at both huge burst damage and exiting combat when things go south.

I've had the most fun playing the warrior. It's the easiest for PvE due to the combination of survivability and all the telegraphs typically being an easy to aim, large arc in front of me.

I was recently reminded that I need to focus on PvP. If I can find a way to not completely suck at PvE on my medic, I may choose that class.

This. It was strange, but the medic class felt the most pvp/pve efficient, beyond the warrior and the engineer, which seems strange compared to what I'm used too, I have high hopes for the engineer but right now it feels lackluster. Let's see how it turns out at level cap. I'm still gonna roll one 31st, though maybe not my main focus. I think they will do well in pve content.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

a cat on an apple posted:

I'm probably going to be the only person that thinks Steer is disadvantageous

I agree. I find mouselock offers me less immediate control than just using RMB, especially when using groundtargeted abilities or looking in a direction other than the one I'm moving.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
I'm using Steer and so i rebound my Q+E buttons to something more useful

Except now whenever I get stunned and have to do the tapping minigame it bugs out and i have to wait out the timer now as i have no options to mash the side directions :(

Guess i'll have to rebind the keyboard camera rotation buttons to like 8+9 or something to sort it, but still kind of annoying as i have literally no use for those directions otherwise!

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

This. It was strange, but the medic class felt the most pvp/pve efficient, beyond the warrior and the engineer, which seems strange compared to what I'm used too, I have high hopes for the engineer but right now it feels lackluster. Let's see how it turns out at level cap. I'm still gonna roll one 31st, though maybe not my main focus. I think they will do well in pve content.

Engineers pretty nice in pvp with the right build @ 50, you're pretty much constantly doing maximum dps since specced correctly you don't need to use a builder pretty much ever. The range on electrocute is really nice for the damage it does and you can get a fair amount of utility abilities if you want. At worst they're the 2nd or 3rd best dps.

While level 20 pvp can give you a decent idea of how the other classes might play, for engineer it's totally worthless. Their best pvp build really needs levels before it comes together. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same for pve as well since I don't see why the infinite volatility builds wouldn't work great there as well.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 24, 2014

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Considering on getting this, but one of the earlier beta weekends ran very poorly on my 'puter. Others complained about performance issues back then as well, and the answer seemed to be "it's a beta, there's beta stuff running on the background, it'll run better on release".

Does it? Has anyone noticed any improved performance?

EDIT: Oh hey, someone already asked this on the last page and got some answers that seemed very positive. Guess I'm buying it then. Whoop!

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 24, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dropbear posted:

EDIT: Oh hey, someone already asked this on the last page and got some answers that seemed very positive. Guess I'm buying it then. Whoop!
If you have a nvidia card the latest beta drivers give a nice performance boost as well. My 660 now runs WildStar at a comfortable 40-45 fps at 2560x1440

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I guess I liked Spellslinger least, but that's probably because I barely played it. :v:

As far as other classes go:

Warrior: Fun to play but felt weak. They lack burst damage early on but from looking at their skills I'd say that damage options really open up for them from 30 onwards.

Engineer: Clunky but powerful. The bots really need to do a better job of keeping up with the player, they tend to get lost, stuck or just fall behind. With the bots the Engineer is both super durable and does really good damage. They were the only class that could take on prime mobs reliably.

Esper: Not nearly as mobile as other classes, hits like a truck. The finishers just hit really hard and are also AoE. They seem to have a ton of CC and such in the utility tree and they will probably be terrors in pvp later on in spite of their low mobility.

Medic: My #2 class. Very mobile, medium to close range class with tons of AoE. Just a lot of fun to play because of all of the different shaped AoEs and the constant movement to fit as many enemies or allies into your AoEs as possible, a very active class.

Stalker: My favorite class. Loads and loads of burst damage, many strategic options open up as you play them and realize how their skills mesh together. Stealth is a lot of fun and probably makes them one of the most survivable classes in the game.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Engineer's main advantage is that almost all their abilities have fairly large aoe and hit 5+ targets, so while it may feel slow to kill one mob you're doing it wrong if you're only pulling one at a time.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

So I've got a weird question. Do weapons still resize themselves when they are sheathed?

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Once I got Bioshell and the Volatility Rising AMP, Engineer didn't feel that slow to me, since Bioshell both adds tech vulnerability and produces just enough volatility to get bonus Volatility from the AMP, so I could immediately bust out a reasonably long Electrocute with bonus damage. I also ended up switching to Flak Cannon for my builder instead of Pulse Blast, I like the channeled nature and receiving Volatility in ticks throughout. If I have to Dash while casting Pulse Blast I get no damage and no resources, which was sort of annoying. At least If I have to interrupt the Flak with a Dash I still did and get something. Not sure how practical that is as dps in an instance since Flak produces extra aggro.

Bioshell's telegraph behavior takes some getting used to though, since the shell doesn't reach the end of the telegraph if it hits enemies before that and explodes there. No big deal, just haven't had an ability that works that way before.

But do you ever get a volatility spender that's as good/better than Electrocute? I only played engineer to 20 or so and Electrocute does kick a lot of rear end, I'm just curious.

Especially the Bruiser Bot AI needs to be more reliable though.

Maybe it's because Electrocute has no cooldown but it felt weird to me that despite both generating a degrading resource with their basic attack, Warrior and Engineer pacing felt pretty different to me.

Of the classes I tried (Warrior, Engineer, Spellslinger) I definitely preferred Engineer for taking on tough foe solo, thanks to bots and the great damage output of Exo-suit powered Electrocute.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 24, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Psykmoe posted:

Once I got Bioshell and the Volatility Rising AMP, Engineer didn't feel that slow to me, since Bioshell both adds tech vulnerability and produces just enough volatility to get bonus Volatility from the AMP, so I could immediately bust out a reasonably long Electrocute with bonus damage. I also ended up switching to Flak Cannon for my builder instead of Pulse Blast, I like the channeled nature and receiving Volatility in ticks throughout. If I have to Dash while casting Pulse Blast I get no damage and no resources, which was sort of annoying. At least If I have to interrupt the Flak with a Dash I still did and get something. Not sure how practical that is as dps in an instance since Flak produces extra aggro.

Bioshell's telegraph behavior takes some getting used to though, since the shell doesn't reach the end of the telegraph if it hits enemies before that and explodes there. No big deal, just haven't had an ability that works that way before.

But do you ever get a volatility spender that's as good/better than Electrocute? I only played engineer to 20 or so and Electrocute does kick a lot of rear end, I'm just curious.

Especially the Bruiser Bot AI needs to be more reliable though.

Maybe it's because Electrocute has no cooldown but it felt weird to me that despite both generating a degrading resource with their basic attack, Warrior and Engineer pacing felt pretty different to me.

Of the classes I tried (Warrior, Engineer, Spellslinger) I definitely preferred Engineer for taking on tough foe solo, thanks to bots and the great damage output of Exo-suit powered Electrocute.

You should try Energy Auger plus Bio Shell with Volatility Rising, with those you pretty much never have to use the builders. As far as other volatility spenders I have heard good things about Bolt Caster, it hits in a small column in front of you so it's easy to have every bolt hit one target and if all of them do it hits very, very hard.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kevlar Beard posted:

So I've got a weird question. Do weapons still resize themselves when they are sheathed?

Yes. It's most noticeable on warriors and ss.

Xploited
Jul 18, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You should try Energy Auger plus Bio Shell with Volatility Rising, with those you pretty much never have to use the builders. As far as other volatility spenders I have heard good things about Bolt Caster, it hits in a small column in front of you so it's easy to have every bolt hit one target and if all of them do it hits very, very hard.

It wasn't until I unlocked Bio Shell that I saw potential in the Engineer. Seems like a cool ability for pulls to generates volatility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Anyone who played a medic much in beta, did you also use steer or was it more trouble than it's worth? I liked steer when I was playing spellslinger, but I could see it getting awkward when using all of the medics aoe abilities. Is there a way to make it worthwhile or should I just not bother with it?

• Locked thread