Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.
Engineer sounds pretty compelling but I remember reading somewhere that robots were underwhelming. Confirm/deny?

Lakedaimon posted:

So the soldier path just has nodes that spawn bonus/hard enemies? Only neat thing Settler had (as far as I got) was the ability to build a thingy that gives 10 minute xp buffs. No offense to anyone else, but building flags and torches at quest hubs is pretty lame to me.

I tried soldier during my brief time before the servers went down and it's just more murder while you're murdering. Wasn't even much harder than anything else I was doing. The best part of the path was having to the weapon tests and using some weird gadget to loving obliterate the poor souls on your hit list. I actually like the lore of Wildstar (which is rarely something I care about too deeply) so I might try scientist. It sounds like Settler is only rewarding if you like thanklessly helping the nerds around you, Allah bless you if that is you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xploited
Jul 18, 2013

WarLocke posted:

All of the Soldier things I've seen have been these consoles/kiosks you activate and guys show up and you kill them. Not sure if they get more variety later on.

They get some assassination missions where you have to find a designated target. Some 'rescue' missions and some other stuff. Usually some flavor of killing stuffs.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Utter Amnesty posted:

Engineer sounds pretty compelling but I remember reading somewhere that robots were underwhelming. Confirm/deny?

I only played up to about level 10 with my engineer. I found the robots to be useful, but not amazing. I imagine in raids and dungeons they would end up pretty useless.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Lakedaimon posted:

The Engineer armor is hands down the sweetest looking. Wish the servers had been up today I would have tried one out. I see Stalkers on the message boards blowing o-rings about how bad stealth is or about how they dont do enough dps. No idea if its warranted or just the usual MMO chicken little bullshit.

So the soldier path just has nodes that spawn bonus/hard enemies? Only neat thing Settler had (as far as I got) was the ability to build a thingy that gives 10 minute xp buffs. No offense to anyone else, but building flags and torches at quest hubs is pretty lame to me.

Engineer armor is so good looking it's the only reason I'm not making a Chua engineer since you just look like a block of metal as one.

Didn't know about Path costumes so that's awesome. It's gonna be a hard choice between scientist and settler for most adorable Chua though.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
The best thing is that costume slots are armor agnostic (AFAIK) so you can put your pretty princess Esper in Engineer duds. :allears:

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Utter Amnesty posted:

Their pathing can be a bit buggy sometimes, so they occasionally need some micromanagement. They're definitely worth using though. Their abilities are off the global cooldown, so you can use them while doing whatever other attacks. The bruiserbot's combined taunt and interrupt makes Engineers one of the best classes for soloing primes. Artillerybot barrage is really good for pve dps. I didn't pvp with engineer, but the Diminisher bot's massive AOE snare looks like it'd be really handy.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

Utter Amnesty posted:

I was convinced I was going to play Engineer come launch as to me they look and sound like the coolest class but after trying out all the classes in open beta up to 10, I've settled on Medic. Only 10 levels is not the best way to judge, I'm sure, but I tend to go on feeling - and the Engineer just never felt good or fun for me to play. The bots were a big part of that; I couldn't find a way to customize or re-name them as I was expecting from a pet class and whilst their abilities were useful and functioned well, their pathing was abysmal. All I wanted them to do was follow me around - run and walk when I do and stick close to me but much of my levelling experience consisted of me looking around to see if they'd caught up with me or were stuck behind a rock or something. Even playing without them, I found the Engineer's abilities underwhelming - I realize now I should have been using the Electrocute(?) finisher much more as when I played the class it felt very spammy and dull.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

hit button posted:

Their pathing can be a bit buggy sometimes, so they occasionally need some micromanagement. They're definitely worth using though. Their abilities are off the global cooldown, so you can use them while doing whatever other attacks. The bruiserbot's combined taunt and interrupt makes Engineers one of the best classes for soloing primes. Artillerybot barrage is really good for pve dps. I didn't pvp with engineer, but the Diminisher bot's massive AOE snare looks like it'd be really handy.

The best workaround for the bot pathing is to bind your pet command Stop to something convenient. This command will stop the bots wherever they're at and return them to your location. I found this worked in nearly every situation that they disappeared or started wandering on a bad path. Arty bot is absolutely a signifigant damage increase, but you will have to micro it to some extent in Dungeons and Raids: the Stop command is pretty vital in those cases. Diminisher is great and if they ever fix the bugs with Repair bot it'll likely be solid in PvP as well.

I really liked using Arty + Diminisher in the point cap/def Battleground for area denial and to set up clumps for Electrocute spam. Engineer is actually a lot of fun and I was seriously considering it for a long while, but the lack of mobility killed it for me. I love being able to leap and dash all over the drat place.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Windchilla posted:

The best workaround for the bot pathing is to bind your pet command Stop to something convenient. This command will stop the bots wherever they're at and return them to your location. I found this worked in nearly every situation that they disappeared or started wandering on a bad path. Arty bot is absolutely a signifigant damage increase, but you will have to micro it to some extent in Dungeons and Raids: the Stop command is pretty vital in those cases. Diminisher is great and if they ever fix the bugs with Repair bot it'll likely be solid in PvP as well.

Bind loot vacuum to mousewheel up and pet stop to mousewheel down (camera zoom to alt+wheelup/down) :science:

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Is the auth down for Wildstar Goons? I get a really weird error with a bunch of code on the page when I try to do it.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
yes it's undergoing renovations AGAIN for some reason idk ask moses he's trying to part the red auth

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

a cat on an apple posted:

ask moses he's trying to part the red auth

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias

yes it's undergoing renovations AGAIN for some reason idk ask moses he's trying to part the red auth

Complain about services rendered for your prize.

Server is migrating to a better host for better speeds and functionality for the back end. Never stop complaining.

wtfmoses fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 26, 2014

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
The prize is me not killing myself during launch trying to invite all you fucks

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

wtfmoses posted:

Complain about services rendered for your prize.

as much as I sound like a bitch I really am grateful for the forum service you're helping provided which hopefully I make clear by how aghast I am that I can't continue working on my Weaponsmith thread until Wednesday.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Doublestep posted:

The prize is me not killing myself during launch trying to invite all you fucks

i thought suicide was a superior option to wildstar though?

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

Bogwitt posted:

I was convinced I was going to play Engineer come launch as to me they look and sound like the coolest class but after trying out all the classes in open beta up to 10, I've settled on Medic. Only 10 levels is not the best way to judge, I'm sure, but I tend to go on feeling - and the Engineer just never felt good or fun for me to play. The bots were a big part of that; I couldn't find a way to customize or re-name them as I was expecting from a pet class and whilst their abilities were useful and functioned well, their pathing was abysmal. All I wanted them to do was follow me around - run and walk when I do and stick close to me but much of my levelling experience consisted of me looking around to see if they'd caught up with me or were stuck behind a rock or something. Even playing without them, I found the Engineer's abilities underwhelming - I realize now I should have been using the Electrocute(?) finisher much more as when I played the class it felt very spammy and dull.

One of the very big problems with trying out Engineer through doing some early leveling is that they don't come together at all until you get the Volatility Rising amp and T4 Bio Shell (so like mid to late 20's). After that you never have to use your lovely builder spam again, you just juggle your volatility between 30-70 with instant Bio Shells and electrocute all the things (or Bolt Caster all the things later, for amazing single target). It's a pretty big deal for the feel of the class, at least in my opinion.

Also yeah the bots are not amazing but using at least T4 Arti bot is going to be necessary for dps. Like others have said, binding stop helps a lot for general bot herding. Using them in combat is actually fairly painless since the abilities are off gcd.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Normal Adult Human posted:

-Most popular class

Isn't Warrior the least popular class?

http://watchwildstar.com/census#share-all-dividedby-character_class

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

What kind of bizarro world is this where the MMO class called "medic" is second most popular and the one called "warrior" is least?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

folgore posted:

What kind of bizarro world is this where the MMO class called "medic" is second most popular and the one called "warrior" is least?

Warriors got a lot of poo poo for being bad tanks since they require you to do the old "wait for two sunders"

Medics are considered OP by the pubbie masses because they couldn't beat one 1v1 with their poo poo-build spellslinger

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
In all honesty, Medics might actually be overtuned. They're getting weapon power as if they were a Light armour class, but they get to wear Medium armour. I actually have reason to believe that their skills are tuned to be similar to the Stalker, but get more power as a result of having weapons tuned like SS/Esper.

It's kind of weird.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

In all honesty, Medics might actually be overtuned. They're getting weapon power as if they were a Light armour class, but they get to wear Medium armour. I actually have reason to believe that their skills are tuned to be similar to the Stalker, but get more power as a result of having weapons tuned like SS/Esper.

It's kind of weird.
Don't they scale really poorly in the elder game, though (with regards to DPS)? It seems they're a lot like spellslingers in that they're very strong at early levels but taper off rapidly since their abilities don't seem to scale well.

In semi related news I still can't pick between medic and spellslinger to start with :saddowns:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I am really interested in the whole 'shield healer' angle with Medics now. Because it seems like if the other healers have no real reliable way to heal shields, then that right there is a huge advantage for medics.

Example: Random dude has 1k health/1k shield (I don't know what the ration ends up being, but this make for easy explanation) - which is effectively 2k health at base (since the shield absorbs 50% of incoming damage). BUT, if you're in combat long enough for the shield to totally drain, now your effective HP cap is 1k, not 2k. Incoming damage stays the same, although amount of healing required to fix it doubles (since before you were just healing half the incoming damage, since we're talking about heals that don't touch the shield) but the biggest issue is that your effective HP is cut in half and that cuts into your safety net.

Whereas Medics have ways to heal shields so they can (theoretically) keep that some dude at 2k effective HP if their throughput is high enough. Or if there is another healer you can have a Spellslinger or whatever on 'health duty' and have the Medic spec his bar more for topping off shields or something...

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

You are forgetting about the medic passive, which is +25% Shield Mitigation whenever the medic heals a shield. Combine with the Shield Surge T4 (another +25% when healing with shield surge) and for about ten seconds they have 100% shield mitigation.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Btw this probably goes without saying but don't take gear for other classes to wear in your costume slots unless nobody else wants it. Unless they are pubbies, then go mad.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Pwnstar posted:

Btw this probably goes without saying but don't take gear for other classes to wear in your costume slots unless nobody else wants it. Unless they are pubbies, then go mad.

Totally ninjaing the *_* face engineer helm because i imagine it will look hilarious on chua.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Stop making me question Esper as my main, you dicks.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

poptart_fairy posted:

You can dress up in power armour with a smiley face while simultaneously throwing magic mind swords and FREEDOM BIRD at people.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

You picked correctly, the others are just thinning out the competition for our magical Esper spots.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

poptart_fairy posted:

The solution is obviously to go with a popular race to balance your unpopular class choice :getin:

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I've been debating the healer classes for a few days, and if you want to play support you should be going Medic or Esper, that's for sure. If you don't believe me, just take a look at the Spellslinger skills set. The SS support suffers from the same problem as SS DPS: you obviously want to surge some spells and forget others. The surge mechanic should be a toggle that gives you some interesting options about when you need the extra oomph, but it ends up being a skill you work into a regular rotation just to keep up with the throughput of Espers and Medics.

To my mind, SS will have a limited number of viable builds and will end up playing a hybrid DPS/off healer role in PVE raids. If that sounds groovy to you then go for it, but I don't think it will make for very satisfying play in PVE (PVP is another matter though!). You'll never be pushing big DPS numbers, and you'll only get a chance to shine as an off support when the dedicated healers have a meltdown and you save a wipe by smoothing over the tough patch.

The other big problem with SS is I don't think the devs are anywhere near done with it, so you can anticipate some pretty big swings in playstyle and effectiveness as they try to tune balance. (Indeed, SS has seen quite a few big shifts in effectiveness during different beta phases.) I think they're interested in having all support be viable, but it could be a painful process getting there and the balancing could literally take years.

For the other support classes, Medic and Esper have large toolboxes, and a quick look through their skill sets will suggest a large number of seemingly viable builds. These classes also play differently, but don't necessarily be fooled by the class information the devs have released. The Esper's often-maligned immobility isn't nearly the factor it used to be, but the Medic is still much more mobile. The Esper has ranged heals and has an easier time throwing an off-heal to random DPS standing in outside the medic's effective zone. The medic has a lot of hybrid skills and will end up doing SOME damage with many builds, regardless of how much you focus on healing.

In terms of playstyle, the Esper does need to stand and cast where the Medic can often be moving. Also, the Esper's skills tend to hit once and hit big where the Medic's feel more like little DoTs or HoTs. If you're really on the fence just go through the noobie zone with each and you'll get a basic feeling for how the classes play.

With the Esper you'll lead off with a builder, add a 2nd builder as the mob aggros and closes in, then finish it with a builder or spender as the mob charges its telegraph attack. You might take a hit if the mob auto-attacks, or you might get fancy and dodge at the last second. This is how the Esper is going to feel at all levels of play. You'll stick and move and look for a window, then use that window to cast something necessarily. You'll have mobile skills, but you'll use these as your setting up your big turret skills. Expect to feel your pulse rise as you move into a safe position, begin casting, and then dodge JUST as the enemy telegraph would have hit you. Expect also to spend some time looking at health bars in your raid frames and click-targetting, something the Medic never has to do.

With the Medic, you'll jump right in and zap the mob with your actuators, then immediately strafe around it as it aggros and puts its telegraph on the ground. Your hit won't be one big zap, it will be a series of little zaps as the mob stands in your actuator field. That's basically how the medic will feel: move, strafe, dodge, move...keep baddies/friendlies in your zone of effect. It's very active and you always feel like you're DOING something, where the Esper can sometimes feel like your moving and positioning instead of killing/healing. The Medic is killing/healing all the time. The Medic gets a shield heal, but overall the Medic doesn't have quite the same variety of tools that the Esper gets and has more focus issues than the Esper. (Focus is the healing resource if any lurkers new to this thread don't know it.)

I honestly think the Medic is a little overtuned at the moment and will see some changes to its abilities, especially given how popular it looks to be at release. Still, Medic and Esper are going to be good healers and viable in all types of game scenarios. The SS is the oddball at the moment...but hopefully that will change sooner rather than later. (I'd really love to roll SS support at release, but I just don't feel like the tools are there.)

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Gameko posted:

To my mind, SS will have a limited number of viable builds and will end up playing a hybrid DPS/off healer role in PVE raids. If that sounds groovy to you then go for it, but I don't think it will make for very satisfying play in PVE (PVP is another matter though!). You'll never be pushing big DPS numbers, and you'll only get a chance to shine as an off support when the dedicated healers have a meltdown and you save a wipe by smoothing over the tough patch.

The other big problem with SS is I don't think the devs are anywhere near done with it, so you can anticipate some pretty big swings in playstyle and effectiveness as they try to tune balance. (Indeed, SS has seen quite a few big shifts in effectiveness during different beta phases.) I think they're interested in having all support be viable, but it could be a painful process getting there and the balancing could literally take years.

See this is one reason I am rolling a spellslinger healer. I really love the way they feel as a class in general, and since they're so hosed up right now they are likely to get buffed pretty quickly out of the gate. This means that most other people won't roll spellslinger, and I will be one of the few beneficiaries of this buff. I will be the most special snowflake.

Let me clarify: from what I've seen most people aren't rolling spellslinger healers. DPS are everywhere, yeah.

SoldadoDeTone fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 26, 2014

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Haha, you think people won't roll Spellslinger.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Maybe people should just play whatever people like the look of, safe in the knowledge that today's hot sauce will be tomorrow's rancid ooze? Just a thought!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
No I need to min max my game play experience to reach maximum effectiveness. What do you do? Play a game for fun?

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

quote:

I've been debating the healer classes for a few days, and if you want to play support you should be going Medic or Esper, that's for sure. If you don't believe me, just take a look at the Spellslinger skills set. The SS support suffers from the same problem as SS DPS: you obviously want to surge some spells and forget others. The surge mechanic should be a toggle that gives you some interesting options about when you need the extra oomph, but it ends up being a skill you work into a regular rotation just to keep up with the throughput of Espers and Medics.

I have taken a look at the skillset, and I'm not seeing the argument. You suggest that it should be self-evident that the SS skills are both generally less varied, weaker and have some stand out skills that are obviously inferior. Comparing to the Esper support/utility skills, while the focus is clearly different (Esper have more debuff focus compared to an SS buff skills), the variation seems about the same, including when you look at the tiered bonuses. If there is a dearth of build options, it is quite subtle. The SS Surge mechanic may not be the most interesting of the class abilities, but whether every class ability should be a form of oh poo poo button, or a regularly used ability (like Stealth is for Stalkers) sounds more like opinion than design failure.

The numbers could well favour Espers and Medics right now (I didn't look at those), but you'd be silly to pick your class for a launching MMO based on the balance that exist as launch. Every MMO ever have tweaked those numbers continually, so it is almost never a good argument to pick a class based on the current balance, if you take a slightly long-term view.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

While I don't disagree that SS is on a balance tightrope at the moment, I think you're discounting some of their skills a little much and being kinda hard on them. Voidspring is really good for aoe raid healing along with Sustain, and proper use of spellsurge with stuff like Healing Torrent can give you some really good burst, and the range on their skills means you don't have to hang around in one spot to be able to take care of people (provided you can aim). Runes of Protection is a great absorb as well for proactive healing. I'm not sure how the recent change giving spellsurged heals an extra focus cost will pan out, but SS's were ridiculously focus efficient prior to this so I don't think it will affect them too badly, in fact it will hopefully promote using different heals and not just relying on spellsurged HT all the time.

They still need some work (but then so do the other two healers), especially as far as spellsurge goes, but I don't think they're poo poo-awful "DONT PICK THIS CLASS" level. They still bring plenty to the table and they're pretty fun to play, it'll just be a bit of a rollercoaster for awhile until the balance settles into place.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Having an issue with the Wildstar Goons site. Can't seem to get my validation email or even get password emails (as I signed up with my steam account because I'm a lazy gently caress, I originally had no password tied to my account... now it says it sent me a password but I never got an email and it's not in my spambox?) Can't auth because I don't have a password.

Username there is the same as here, if someone can help me. :downs:

In other news, I'm actually surprised how excited I am for Wildstar. I was super excited before they announced the monthly costs, then that kinda dumped cold water on top of my burning excitement. I played in Open Beta for about two hours on an engineer and thought it was just okay but not worth the money.

After spending nine hours raiding and getting jack poo poo in WoW on Friday I went and watched the DevSpeak videos on the Wildstar youtube page, then read some more on the game. It managed to rekindle the excitement I felt for the game months ago and I can't wait to get paid again on Friday so I can preorder and start playing this weekend.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
How am I supposed to play this and Watchdogs? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minsky
May 23, 2001

I'm set on Medic because I like the playstyle, but the official boards for them are full of end-game complaints about DPS Medics parsing lowest on meters on most fights and healing Medics having focus problems because, unlike Espers, the big Medic heals that require a secondary resource still also eat up focus.

I remain hopeful in that it's still people being bad beacause the game is young.

If you're looking for the strongest healer "by the numbers" at launch, I have a hunch that Esper may be the class to pick though.

• Locked thread