Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
Do it. That's a fantastic deal if it's not a rolling sled of corrosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

mafoose posted:

Wow that's awesome!

An ax15 is basically an upgraded r154 right?
You should sell or junk your beat Ford and buy this instead!
(Unless it's super rusty)

Almost the same transmission. Different input shaft, output shaft, a few gears have different ratios, input bearing retainer/TOB quill, bellhousings, and the back case half are different. The shafts and back case are only different because CJD and Toyota have different philosophies on how to connect engines and transfer cases to transmissions. The rebuild kit is essentially the same parts.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

mafoose posted:

Wow that's awesome!

An ax15 is basically an upgraded r154 right?
You should sell or junk your beat Ford and buy this instead!
(Unless it's super rusty)

We don't have rust out here. It's eerie.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Well, the secret is out. Little brother has been getting increasingly frustrated with the lack of truck in his life.

:mad: I'm getting pissed. I can't get any of this demod bathroom out of here until my buddy lends me his truck again
:v: Yeah man, truck life is super useful.
:mad: I've honestly had it, I think I'm gonna go look at an F-150 tomorrow, maybe even trade the Escape in
:v: Nah, you don't want an F-150
:confused: No?
:v: You should look for something smaller
:confused: Might as well go full size

So yeah, I really wanted to prevent him texting me and saying 'hey look at my new F-150!' as I'm wrenching on his comanche.

So it went like this:

:v: Why don't you get something like this?

:confused: Wow that thing is awesome, where did you see that? And you know drat well any truck like that out here would be missing more than half the metal
:q: Good thing you already have the keys
:confused: What?
:q: That's your truck.
:confused: No effing way

Weeeeeeeee :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Nicely done! I wish my brother would give me trucks. :(

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Best brother ever?

Best brother ever.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Best brother ever?

Best brother ever.

Holy hell this.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I wouldn't give my brother a vehicle because he has a track record of ruining every vehicle he has owned.

He was given a 94 Golf as his first car. Never changed the oil unless I was around and felt pity on the poor thing. Rammed it into the back of a friend's truck being a loving idiot, transmission throwing fault codes put it in limp-mode, parents scrapped it before I could save it.

In their infinite wisdom, they gave him another car. This time it was a 2000 Malibu, so I guess that was punishment enough for making GBS threads up the first car. Never changed the oil, pretty sure the good ol' intake manifold gasket failure on the 3.1 was in the process of killing it when he traded it in.

He bought a 2010 Jetta TDI for himself, so you'd think he would take care of it. Not a loving chance. He slid into a telephone pole during an ice storm in Arkansas within 6 months of purchasing the car and, despite having full coverage on it and having more than enough cash to cover a deductible, has not gotten the dent in the trunk lid or the cracked taillight fixed in the intervening 3.5 years. He only gets the oil changed because the car reminds him to do so, never cleans it out, and I'm pretty sure it hasn't gotten anything other than a run through a gas station carwash since it left the dealer lot. I want to detail it under the cover of night every time I see him, but I know he wouldn't appreciate it.

Hopefully your brother actually appreciates that awesome truck and doesn't take it for granted.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

bandman posted:

Hopefully your brother actually appreciates that awesome truck and doesn't take it for granted.

Sure hope so. His XJ was super rusty and it was a 1998, so he knows drat well that a rust free '89 better be kept off the roads during the winter. He says he'll just park it in next to the house in his yard :lol:

I did actually get him a car before. He was 16, this was a 1996 Honda Accord I paid $150 for, with a blown headgasket.

He kept it a year and sold it for $3000 and bought his XJ :lol: (no it did NOT look like this when he bought it). Good times!

Blaise fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 16, 2014

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

bandman posted:

I wouldn't give my brother a vehicle because he has a track record of ruining every vehicle he has owned.

This. Every panel on every vehicle he's ever owned has been damaged by him somehow.

Optional Options
Apr 13, 2011
Saw a pimpin Comanche in Edmonton while I was filling up my D21 by the army base. Not a spec of rust, heavy duty trail gear hanging off clips and straps in the bed, not a single scratch or dent. Clean as can be. Since this thread and your endeavours fixing it up for your brother and taking awesome photos I've seen so many more around town. I love the MJ and I'm sad you're not my brother. Please sell your ford and get the other jeep so we can have a new thread!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Optional Options posted:

heavy duty trail gear

not a single scratch or dent. Clean as can be.

Is it me or is something amiss here?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Saw this today and thought of your truck. Well used but in great condition.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
kastein and everybody else, some advice please?

About to place my last rock auto order. It includes:

Fel-Pro manifold gasket
Electric Fan assy

Steering Damper (it's totally loose on the rod ends)
WJ lower arms (for 31)
new stock upper arms (why not)
new tie rods all around: I can't figure out from rockauto which ones I actually need. Also I'm reading that the V8 ZJ ones are much heavier duty, should I upgrade then?

(PS the track bar looks new, that's why it's not mentioned).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Alright, here goes.

1. get the 1996 Cherokee electric fan. It has the old style 2 pin weatherpack connector, but is the new style 10 blade fan that is quieter and more powerful.
2. if you need a mechanical fan shroud the part number is CH3110104 and they are everywhere for like 15 bucks. I think rockauto has them.
3. The V8 ZJ tie rod is in fact stronger. It's the one that goes from the drag link to the left knuckle. You will also need a new adjuster sleeve and outer left tie rod end AFAIK, unless rockauto has a kit that is everything from taper to taper for that. Oh, the drag link goes from the steering box to the right knuckle, one tie rod end on it is built into the drag link, the other is at the pitman arm on the steering box. You can probably reuse the adjuster for that one. AFAIK, all the drag links are the same, so just order an MJ one and the tie rod end that goes to the pitman arm.

The felpro gasket is good.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
RE: awesome kastein post # 29845720952

1. I need to check to see if I even have that plug since it's a non-AC car. Excellent info! Edit: looks like no plug :( But I'll just wire it into a switch right?
2. My shroud is in good shape from what I remember but I'll look. Edit: yep its fine and fan clutch seems fine too
3. My bigger confusion is what the 'left outer' and 'left inner' tie rods are. For the right, it's obvious what the outer and inners are. But the left? :wtf:

Blaise fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 22, 2014

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
WTF.

OneOverZero sent me his 'used' coolant tank.

Nope, he bought a brand new one and had it sent to my house.

Wow... wow. :love: :eek: Thanks dude!!!!!!!!!!

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Blaise posted:

WTF.

OneOverZero sent me his 'used' coolant tank.

Nope, he bought a brand new one and had it sent to my house.

Wow... wow. :love: :eek: Thanks dude!!!!!!!!!!

:drat:

Awesome progress on the Jeep. Love seeing the updates.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

I'd already promised you my old one, but once we dug it out of the moving boxes, it was a lot worse than I'd remembered. The failure rate delta between a 25-year-old bottle and a 24-year-old bottle can't be that considerable. :v: Store credit!

Did it come with the cap and seal? Pretty sure I have a couple good straps... in the crawlspace of my old place.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

OneOverZero posted:

I'd already promised you my old one, but once we dug it out of the moving boxes, it was a lot worse than I'd remembered. The failure rate delta between a 25-year-old bottle and a 24-year-old bottle can't be that considerable. :v: Store credit!

Did it come with the cap and seal? Pretty sure I have a couple good straps... in the crawlspace of my old place.

I found the strap! It was under the hood tangled up. Thanks again, and it did come with a cap!

Got some work done this weekend:

-Cooling system: Tank, water pump, thermostat, fan/wiring, also replaced some sketchy looking hoses. Flush/fill/bleed.
-Suspension: Lower Control arms to help clear the 31s. Disconnect sway bar.
-Misc: Headlight.

And off we go.

OK maybe I went overboard with the puddle...

Love living out here...

More mud idiocy at the lake after the trail...

And an attempt at being all artsy...

Only thing that sucks is my oil pressure was going super low and sometimes showing zero on the dash. After a while it would sound diesel-y and I'd shut it off, turn it back on and go back to being quiet. Either I have a bad oil filter or it's time for a new pump :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That looks so much like a GTA V screenshot.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

gently caress yes that is how that truck should be used.

Getting out and doing cool poo poo and hammering around in fun spots.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Blaise posted:

Love living out here...

Alright, I take back everything mean I have ever said about the PNW.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
^^:lol::lol::lol::lol:^^

kastein posted:

Alright, I take back everything mean I have ever said about the PNW.

Ready to move yet? :D

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Those shots are loving rad. I'm jealous!

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

Blaise posted:

Only thing that sucks is my oil pressure was going super low and sometimes showing zero on the dash. After a while it would sound diesel-y and I'd shut it off, turn it back on and go back to being quiet. Either I have a bad oil filter or it's time for a new pump :(

Hahaha yessss.

4.0 valvetrains leave nothing to the imagination when oil pressure drops. Since it's intermittent, the press fit of the pickup into the pump would be my first suspect - sounds like it could be sucking air and failing to re-prime.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Ernie Pyle, a famous war correspondent, said, “[The Jeep] did everything. It went everywhere. It was as faithful as a dog, as strong as a mule, and as agile as a goat. It constantly carried twice what it was designed for and still kept going.”

That's almost 1/2 cord in the back. No issues.

Anyway, fixed some bad bulbs, picked up a new (old) oil pressure sender today, a new (old) steering damper bolt, and the tools to fix the key lock.

Brother comes in 4 weeks from Saturday. Time to get with it. Next up will be brake proportioning valve, welding up the door hinge, the manifold gasket, and replacing the rest of the suspension components I've purchased but never installed.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
OK. Less than two weeks to go time. Brother arrives October 11th in the evening.

Need to:

-Weld door hinge, weld floor, clean up the rust (lol)
-Install radio and generally clean up the interior including fixing seat tear
-Install new manifold gasket
-Maybe install new brake prop valve (already got it)
-Install the tie rods and align it, oh and upper arms too

Oh yeah. That's a lotta rust. Ha. Before shot. Stay tuned for after shot.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 1, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That is the after shot.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Door is fixed! Yay!

Perfectly aligned. Just had to loosen up the bolts and then reweld where the hinge let loose from the frame.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Well that sure looks better :)

OK so I'm down to 9 days left til brother shows up.

What's left?

Suspension: upper arms, tie rods (and align it)
Engine: Manifold Gasket (assuming 3-4 hour job)
Interior: Wire in radio/speakers, reinstall interior since it's empty now. Oh and revinyl the stock seat base.
Driveline: Grease U joints
Brakes: Maybe replace the prop valve. Maybe.

Really not much left.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 3, 2014

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4626081070.html

Why? Dear God, why?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
The dually thing was a dealer option kit. There was one here in Maryland forsale for a while, he wanted far to much for it. He worked up the street from where I worked so I saw it a few times a week then one day the dually kit was gone. He had removed the bed flares and dual wheels.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 3, 2014

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Is that in combination with the Metric Tonne package?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
$800 Comanche reporting in.

Everyone is buying MJs these days.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Sandbagger SA posted:

$800 Comanche reporting in.

Everyone is buying MJs these days.

Buy a case of spraypaint/roll of butcher paper/stack of masking tape and spray it Forest Autumn Dazzle Camo asap.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Buy a case of spraypaint/roll of butcher paper/stack of masking tape and spray it Forest Autumn Dazzle Camo asap.

I've already got a ridiculous looking combat khaki wrangler. I think I might actually try to make this look reasonable.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 4, 2014

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
2wd? 5spd? 4.0? Cmon tell us more!

Does the floor look like this?

Blaise fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Sorry I posted the pertinent bits in the jeep thread.

Here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2773074&userid=40581&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post435471995

• Locked thread