Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

I personally believe it should be, and I hope you guys can say good things that back up my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Oh thanks for taking it so seriously.

I don't really think there's a good reason for it to be 21 other than some inherent idea that people will be more responsible by 21, or something of the sort. Anyone got any studies to back that up?

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 24, 2014

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008
Yes, drunk 18 year olds are one of america's greatest economic forces.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's already 18 in most civilized countries, which do not include the United Snakes of Amerikkka.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

It's already 18 in most civilized countries, which do not include the United Snakes of Amerikkka.

Like certain parts in Canada.

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

Brazil is not a civilized country fyi.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

WindmillSlayer posted:

I personally believe it should be, and I hope you guys can say good things that back up my opinion.

I believe it shouldn't because I think more people will die from being stupid.

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

eureka, i've got it! america is bad!

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Kheldragar posted:

I believe it shouldn't because I think more people will die from being stupid.
I believe it should so that more people will die from being stupid.

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape
If a baby wants to buy whiskey, I say let it. Just not on Sundays.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Yes!

2 + 2 = 5
Apr 11, 2003
I find it decidedly INCONVENIENT that the gun was never found.
In My opinion yes it should.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Conversely, No.

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue
Alcohol is a nice addition to many social situations and can be enjoyed by people of all ages, even monkeys.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What's the point of drinking if you can't legally gamble while you get trashed?

something9999
Oct 7, 2013
I don't think that the drinking age should be lowered to 18. I base this opinion primarily off of alcohol related traffic deaths. A guy I went to school with drank at a friend's house with parental supervision and ended up driving his car into a tree later that night. He died. He was 18. I wasn't friends with him so I wasn't too broken up about it, but it's evident that he died because he got drunk as gently caress and did something astonishingly stupid because of it.

madd posted:

Many activities have ages of initiation. A person must wait until age 16 to start driving, age 18 to marry without parental consent, age 35 to become president, and so on.

The age limit for alcohol is based on research which shows that young people react differently to alcohol. Teens get drunk twice as fast as adults, but have more trouble knowing when to stop. Teens naturally overdo it and binge more often than adults.

Enforcing the legal drinking age of 21 reduces traffic crashes, protects young people’s maturing brains, and keeps young people safer overall.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
Lower drinking age to 16, raise driving age to 21. Problem solved. :colbert:

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

Extensive Vamping posted:

Lower drinking age to 16, raise driving age to 21. Problem solved. :colbert:

I voted five because of this well reasoned response.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Are there college freshmen who never drink? If you go off the idea that laws that are made to be ignored are worse than no law at all then yeah, I'm for changing it to 18.

edit: or the age of finishing high school/starting college changed to 21. Actually, that would solve some other problems too.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 24, 2014

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Mandatory drunk driving for everyone between 18-21.

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp
I think it should remain twenty one because your brain isn't done developing until around that age. Alcohol has a terrible effect on the developing brain. I support the same age restriction for marijuana but not as much as for alcohol.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ordrakon posted:

I don't think that the drinking age should be lowered to 18. I base this opinion primarily off of alcohol related traffic deaths. A guy I went to school with drank at a friend's house with parental supervision and ended up driving his car into a tree later that night. He died. He was 18. I wasn't friends with him so I wasn't too broken up about it, but it's evident that he died because he got drunk as gently caress and did something astonishingly stupid because of it.

Rather then use an anecdote just use raw numbers.
http://report.nih.gov/NIHfactsheets/ViewFactSheet.aspx?csid=24

quote:

Since the early 1980s, alcohol-related traffic deaths per population have been cut in half with the greatest proportional declines among persons 16-20 years old.

Numerous NIH-funded studies over the last three decades established the effectiveness of raising the minimum legal drinking age to 21 in reducing both drinking and alcohol-related crashes among persons under age 21. The U.S. Department of Transportation estimates that such laws, now in effect in all states, prevent 1,000 traffic deaths each year.

The number of alcohol-related traffic deaths among 16 to 20 year-olds in the U.S. decreased from 5,244 in 1982 to 1,987 in 2008 in large measure because of the legal drinking age of 21 and Zero Tolerance Laws.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

It probably should be illegal discrimination but the car culture we have in the U.S. demands a 21 drinking age at least to be honest. It just really sucks if you go to college in an urban area and no one has a car anyway.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

It probably should be illegal discrimination but the car culture we have in the U.S. demands a 21 drinking age at least to be honest. It just really sucks if you go to college in an urban area and no one has a car anyway.

It really sucks when you're in an urban area with completely poo poo public transport. Pretty much all of Europe doesn't have that problem and tons of actual college areas have decent public transport. The rest of America, no one gives a gently caress go buy a car hippie.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

pentyne posted:

It really sucks when you're in an urban area with completely poo poo public transport. Pretty much all of Europe doesn't have that problem and tons of actual college areas have decent public transport. The rest of America, no one gives a gently caress go buy a car hippie.

No I mean the drinking age sucks when you go to college in an urban area with great public transport so no one has a car because no one needs one but there isn't any reason for you personally to be disallowed from drinking because there is almost no chance you will end up in a car.

something9999
Oct 7, 2013

pentyne posted:

Rather then use an anecdote just use raw numbers.
http://report.nih.gov/NIHfactsheets/ViewFactSheet.aspx?csid=24

I figured madd would be credible enough but thanks for the stats, friend.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I don't even drink sheeple :smug:

towelieban
Feb 19, 2013
No because if I had to wait till I was 21 to drink, so should they.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are there college freshmen who never drink? If you go off the idea that laws that are made to be ignored are worse than no law at all then yeah, I'm for changing it to 18.

edit: or the age of finishing high school/starting college changed to 21. Actually, that would solve some other problems too.
I never drank before I turned 21 but then I was a weirdo.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Cosmic Charlie posted:

Alcohol is a nice addition to many social situations and can be enjoyed by people of all ages, even monkeys.

I hope you are not or never become a parent. :ohdear:

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I had really strong opinions about this until my 21st birthday and now I don't give a poo poo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bunleigh posted:

I only did a few times, but the issue is that because it was illegal, people who were brought in by the illicit aspect of it had to do it secretly and fast, since they never knew when the police would show up. I think it increased binge drinking.

edit: I actually lived in an alcohol free dorm when I started college, but a while later I found out that it was actually the drinking problem dorm, since people were signing up there either in denial that they had a drinking problem, or to throw off the authorities/parents about their drinking.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 24, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
At least here you can go to most bars without being 21, you just can't drink (and they mark you so people know).

Bunleigh posted:

Conversely, i haven't really drank much since turning 21 (though a large part of that is getting totally hosed up at a party).

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
edit: Er, this is DD not GBS. I have nothing really productive to say on this matter. Alcohol kills, 420 erryday

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 24, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arri posted:

I think it should remain twenty one because your brain isn't done developing until around that age. Alcohol has a terrible effect on the developing brain. I support the same age restriction for marijuana but not as much as for alcohol.

Most other Western countries have a drinking age of 18 at the most, and do not have a higher concentration of brain-damaged individuals due to drinking. How come?

As for my opinion: from my experience living in a University town in the US, while growing up in a country where the age of drinking/fighting/etc was 18, I think it would be much better to have a drinking age of 18, because that would then allow for bar/s on campus, that is, a controlled environment close to student housing within which to drink, as well as the ability to simply take liquor home by buying it legally at a shop, and eliminate most horrible fraternities, whose only draw is the ability to provide liquor to minors. Since people are going to be experimenting with drinking anyway, and since they are no longer minors and therefore should no longer be considered wards, I think the benefits of allowing people to experiment and then be able to call emergency services without any legal risk in case something goes wrong far outweigh whatever costs there are. Drunk driving can be handled through investing the money saved from enforcement in drunk buses, and taking advantage of the increasing countervailing trend against car due to increased gas prices and electronic distractions.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Arri posted:

And at what age do you think people should be able to buy/use weapons?

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

At 18 you can vote, get married, work, have kids, join the army and kill people, but don't you have a loving beer junior!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't understand why "car culture" necessitates a higher drinking age. I've had a car since I was 16, and the drinking age here is 18, and I never drove drunk. Not between the ages of 18 and 21, and not since.

Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

Alcohol is haram and there should be no age at which the devil's water is legal insha'Allah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
The OP is not 21 yet and is making this thread to get goon sympathy.

• Locked thread