Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Integra was hosed, t-bone damage, airbag deployment. Driver's seat was soaked. Got a new ashtray for $1 though and the red Civic door might be a better option than my white one. Bonus, the counter dude said he'd let me do an even exchange on it.

Also this thing

honda whisperer posted:

If you take pictures of the serial number on the circuit board in the ecu I can tell you what kit you need to add the factory vtec hardware ($20) and now you've got a poor mans p28.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Shadow right on the numbers I needed. Does it say 11F0 there? You can't see it in the thumbnail but I added an arrow to the picture. It could also be 1720 or 1980 board.

If I did read it right (11f0) buy https://www.moates.net/vtec11f0-conversion-kit-p-149.html?cPath=69

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Ryhno is in kitty jail, and I want updates damnit. Im going to make him post to the facebook page!

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

honda whisperer posted:

Shadow right on the numbers I needed. Does it say 11F0 there? You can't see it in the thumbnail but I added an arrow to the picture. It could also be 1720 or 1980 board.

If I did read it right (11f0) buy https://www.moates.net/vtec11f0-conversion-kit-p-149.html?cPath=69

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

honda whisperer posted:

VTEC just soldered in, yo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Those parts have been ordered and shipped. Once they arrive I'll get the ECU to Kastein and then work can continue.

Not much has happened on the car as I'm kind of broke and the ladyfriend kind of wants me to get rid of it. I talked her down off that since I have this pile of parts. Hood is totally stripped, been futzing with bondo.

I also really miss not having a car payment so I may be looking to get out of the Miata.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 252 days!)

Rhyno posted:

I also really miss not having a car payment so I may be looking to get out of the Miata.

DD it. Wait a week. <:smuggo:>

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Viggen posted:

DD it. Wait a week. <:smuggo:>

I drive it every day. I've driven the MS6 once in June.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Didn't think I'd run across a thread like this in AI. If I rolled all these posts into one it would probably describe half of my friends from 2006-2008 or so. The last civic I "worked" on I helped install some $50 ebay headers. When he cranked it the shiney silver header turned orange then blue then green within 1 minute

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ugh. I love the Miata but I'm glad the wife drives it and not me. Could not DD it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

revmoo posted:

Ugh. I love the Miata but I'm glad the wife drives it and not me. Could not DD it.

I had ti in my head that I was gonna drive it this winter by just throwing the 6's winter wheels on it. But with the last two winters I really don't think it's a good idea. Looking at Craigslist and talking to some local Miata guys I figure I'd start at $12K for an asking price.

Edit: Let me be clear, I don't want to sell it. But there's a large impending purchase that would be easier if I didn't have to Miata to worry about.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 28, 2014

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Rhyno posted:

I had ti in my head that I was gonna drive it this winter by just throwing the 6's winter wheels on it. But with the last two winters I really don't think it's a good idea. Looking at Craigslist and talking to some local Miata guys I figure I'd start at $12K for an asking price.

Edit: Let me be clear, I don't want to sell it. But there's a large impending purchase that would be easier if I didn't have to Miata to worry about.

It sounds like you're selling a car to buy a house.

I know the pain. :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dr.Smasher posted:

It sounds like you're selling a car to buy a house.

I know the pain. :smith:

Engagement ring.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Engagement ring.

That's just one of the three rings. Don't forget the wedding ring, and of course the suffering.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

That's just one of the three rings. Don't forget the wedding ring, and of course the suffering.

There's 7 rings in hell...

We kind of lived beyond our means this last year and I've blown a fair share of my savings on stupid things. If I'd just listened to everyone here and bought a Miata 2 years ago I'd have it paid off and a healthy chunk of money in the bank. Instead I just got wreckless with the spending. When I wet to Chicago a few months back I blew a grand on a 2 day trip.

But I finally have my poo poo sorted, I know what's most important to me in the long run. It's her. I'd sell all three of my cars and walk to work if she needed me to. I'm pretty sure I'm at the "die of misery without her" phase of life.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 28, 2014

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Wait, are you talking about the car or your fiancee? :raise:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Wait, are you talking about the car or your fiancee? :raise:

Either?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Go ahead, blow a ridiculous amount of money on a chunk of shiny charcoal so you can support all those child soldiers and help line DeBeers' pockets.

Or do the right thing and buy a ring with a sensible, perfectly good synthetic stone and keep the Miata. My wife's ring has a massive 2ct stone in it that she's totally in love with; cost us about $350.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
For once I agree with hotCanadianchick.

That's what I plan to do soon.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I got the grandmothers ring from the folks. Had the stone set into a really awesome setting for a very sensible price. (It was as much as I paid for the rover)

If it wasn't that I would go with synthetic.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I got my wife a large real stone (1.2 carat-ish), but it was some Russian thing where they lasered out some of the larger occlusions, so it's not as "valuable" as an unmodified stone, but it looks freaking brilliant and cost about 1/8 the price.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I bought a Canadian diamond. Those poor Canadian children.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

HotCanadianChick posted:

Go ahead, blow a ridiculous amount of money on a chunk of shiny charcoal so you can support all those child soldiers and help line DeBeers' pockets.

Buy Canadian! :)

But seriously, the Canadian diamonds are awesome, and are not blood-diamonds.

Just get a small rock with a classy setting, buy some flowers, and a nice meal. A decent diamond ring shouldn't break the bank (or go synthetic, they are actually nicer rocks since they can be made exactly as the jewelers order them). gently caress DeBeers.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Silicon Carbide is answer here if you're going for the diamond look. In jewellery commonly known as Moissanite. Diamond like hardness, with a greater reflective index so it gives you even more fire and sparkle, lab grown so the gems are flawless and they no longer have that yellow tint that the early stones on the market experienced.

Much less inflated pricing than diamonds (and no deBeers association), while being pretty much identical for applications such as jewellery.

My Fiancee's engagement ring for example: click for BIG

My own design in 14k white gold with a 1.25ct center stone and a row of blue diamonds on one end. Total cost for the custom ring design was between $2k - $3k, and getting both my ring and her wedding band custom made for another $2k. All-in-all not bad considering how huge the margins are on jewellery and a fraction of what the equivalent sized diamond would have cost.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I plan to make one should that time ever come. Metalwork is fun, if not easy.

Not a fan of the rose cartel either, had plans to make something awesome instead and then the power steering pump poo poo out on the jeep right when I was going to work on it :(

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I got the grandmothers ring from the folks. Had the stone set into a really awesome setting for a very sensible price. (It was as much as I paid for the rover)

My mom gave myself and my brother each a diamond earring to use for our future rings. Worked out great and my wife got a boss diamond ring for $200 custom made by a local jeweller.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

kastein posted:

I plan to make one should that time ever come. Metalwork is fun, if not easy.

Not a fan of the rose cartel either, had plans to make something awesome instead and then the power steering pump poo poo out on the jeep right when I was going to work on it :(

I envision you as Ron Swanson with less canoes and more jeeps.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d0YAhykMMxc

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

There was a ring I thought I was getting but my younger sister just kind of took it one day. Pretty sure she lost it to.

And like I said above, it's not just for a ring, money has gotten a little tighter and the car payment is the is just annoying. I suppose I could just ramp up my ebaying and try to pay down the principle faster.

In my efforts to be a bit more financially responsible and a better boyfriend I think it's clear that I am clueless.

Edit: I drove another NB and really enjoyed it, maybe my suspension is wonky but it felt a lot more nimble than my NC. So sell the NC, buy an NB in a year?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 28, 2014

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Make a thread in BFC. Or just read some of Slow Motion's thread - it's a perfect example of what not to do. Either way, BFC can help get your finances looking good.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Rhyno posted:

In my efforts to be a bit more financially responsible and a better boyfriend I think it's clear that I am clueless.

That's clear. You've just said you're going to sell your car in order to buy a diamond ring. If you really want to give that money to her (which is what you are doing, be clear on that) use it to pay her student loan or whatever other debts she has. They'll be your debts soon enough.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I know Reddit is really unpopular around here but I highly recommend putting /r/personalfinance on your reading rotation. My credit score has jumped like 40 points since I started following it.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Rhyno posted:

There was a ring I thought I was getting but my younger sister just kind of took it one day. Pretty sure she lost it to.

Is she/are you close with her folks at all? If so I might ask them if there's a ring/diamond on her side of the family that would mean a lot if she was proposed to with. For example, my friend proposed to his now wife with an Art Deco style ring that her grandmother wore and that she always loved growing up. He tried looking all over for something similar but couldn't find something right so he just asked if he could buy it and the grandmother was more than happy to let him have/use it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

revmoo posted:

I know Reddit is really unpopular around here but I highly recommend putting /r/personalfinance on your reading rotation. My credit score has jumped like 40 points since I started following it.

My credit score is high 700's. I'm just worried about cash flow right now.

Viper_3000 posted:

Is she/are you close with her folks at all? If so I might ask them if there's a ring/diamond on her side of the family that would mean a lot if she was proposed to with. For example, my friend proposed to his now wife with an Art Deco style ring that her grandmother wore and that she always loved growing up. He tried looking all over for something similar but couldn't find something right so he just asked if he could buy it and the grandmother was more than happy to let him have/use it.

Her father would quite gladly run me down in the street, back up and do it again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's also worth noting that it's about the time of year for me to get depressed again so all this worry is probably just in my head.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

My credit score is high 700's. I'm just worried about cash flow right now.

Yeah, I hear you. I freak out at first when I spend cash even when I paid cash and saved for it so it wouldn't take away from other finances. Plus I bought a setting, a jag, and a few other items this month. It was all saved into a separate bank account but I am a little nervous because, well I cleaned out that account because of a few added expenses. Now that I got paid again I'm not so nervous. I do need to sell off some crap. I have a set of wheels and a washer and dryer I need to sell, so that will go right back into that savings as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm probably just having a mild breakdown. I feel less stressed being here at work today.

I also just pretty much advised a girl to grab a dude's junk because she might regret not doing that.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

I also just pretty much advised a girl to grab a dude's junk because she might regret not doing that.

That actually is the best advice any could give.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

That actually is the best advice any could give.

It was pretty awkward but my coworkers had a good laugh about it. She was telling us how scared she was of asking this dude out and being rejected. I told here to just do it, regrets are stupid. And my coworker says "Yes, seize the day." To which I added "Yes. And if not, seize some other dude, I hear they like that."

I should probably take some time off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I feel quite a bit more relaxed today for some reason.

Question about home turboing, is there universal tuning software? Like besides Hondata, are there other options that support other cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

Question about home turboing, is there universal tuning software? Like besides Hondata, are there other options that support other cars?

All the silly geese who turbo tercels use Emanage Ultimate which seems to be relatively cheap and is made for quite a few different vehicles, it also has a plug and play harness available for EG civics. I know jack poo poo about car tuning just figured it might be helpful since the main unit is universal it appears you could resell it later on for a variety of applications. Would be nice if a goon who actually know what they're talking about could verify though as I'm curious as well!

• Locked thread