Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
This is a thread for international fans of the USMNT to discuss the team & their prospects at the World Cup. Much like the USMNT, we accept all nationalities here.

The United States Men's National Team; also known as The Stars and Stripes, The Yanks, or Team USA, because Americans are bad at nicknames. They have a long and storied history in the World Cup; they came 3rd in the first ever tournament in 1930, and in 2010 they drew with England. The USMNT have once again succeeded in qualifying from CONCACAF, a confederation with more qualifying spots than actual teams, and have been drawn in Group G with Portugal, Germany and Ghana. Let's meet the brave boys who will be heading to Brazil.

Goalkeepers

Tim Howard & Brad Guzan
Two examples of America's finest footballing export: bald goalkeepers. Their goaltending experience in the Barclays should give the USMNT a safe pair of hands at the back.

Nick Rimando
I don't know who this is but he's not bald so he's probably poo poo.

Defenders

DaMarcus Beasley
May be familiar to British fans from his time at Manchester City (before they were rich) or Rangers (before they were bankrupt). Left the dizzying heights of the SPL for the Mexican league, which apparently exists.

Geoff Cameron
Plays for Stoke.

Omar Rodriguez
Plays guitar in the Mars Volta.

DeAndre Yedlin
I don't know anything about this guy but check out his hair!

Fabian Johnson, Timothy Chandler, John Brooks
Born in Germany, live in Germany, play in Germany. As American as apple pie.

Matt Besler
:shrug:

Midfielders

Michael Bradley
Looks like he should be a goalkeeper. Used to play for Roma but struggled to establish himself in a team not managed by his dad. Moved back to the comfort of the MLS.

Jermaine Jenas
Used to play for England. I guess FIFA changed the eligibility requirements again???

Kyle Beckerman
Looks like a crusty Andy Murray.

Alejandro Bedoya
Has played in Europe and not yet fled back to MLS. Good for him. Currently at Nantes (in France).

Mikkel Morgenstar Pålssønn Diskerud
Is Norwegian. United States U-20 coach Thomas Rongen approached Diskerud as he was about to take a corner to ask if Diskerud had an American passport, and Diskerud said yes. Also known by his nickname, "Micks", because he hates the Irish.

Graham Zusi
Nice hairband bro.

Julian Green
Another German. Plays for Bayern.

Brad Davis
:effort:

Strikers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Di8QT98Zk
Clint Dempsey
Captain of the team. Also known as "the Deuce", because he is poo poo. Was too poo poo for Tottenham, so ran away to MLS. He also raps.

Jozy Altidore
Five-tool striker. Athlete of the Year. Utter dogshit. These are just some of the descriptions that have been applied to Jozy. You could devote a whole thread to him. After a season at Sunderland where he scored one goal and fell over a lot, he was the obvious first choice to lead the line for the USMNT.

Chris Wondolowski
Also known by his nickname, "Chris the striker". Plays in MLS.

Aron Jóhannsson
Poached from Iceland with the promise of fame and glory, only to find himself competing for a place with Jozy loving Altidore.

Notably absent is Landon Donovan, who scored 3 goals at the last World Cup, but didn't make the cut this time. Their manager is Jürgen Klinsmann, which I guess explains where all those Germans came from. And who can forget the most important team member - the fans. Let's hope for some good tifos in Brazil! Here are some chants for you to sing along with at home:

Let's go USA!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPhWR4d3FJQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Well done OP, well done.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Superpower, Superpower, USA!

:wtc:

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
Came for the rootin'. When we starting?

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

US giving the swiss a run for their money when it comes to poaching players from other countries

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dunban posted:

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Needs more whooooaa's

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
huge USMNT fan here, just checking in

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Tim Timeree Tim Timeree Tim Tim Teroo
We have Tim Howard and he says SCREW YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Havent you americans got enough threads about your mens national team? cant you just use the jozy thread?

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
We'll go stupid mental

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

chuggo is BACK posted:

Shameful.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
i believe that i will eat
chants jozy as he rolls on the floor

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
that chant flyer is unironically the funniest thing on the internet

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
those chants should be... Outlawed!!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
When I get home I'm going to post all the Jozy gifs.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Not a single "my granddad killed your granddad". Shameful

Do you boys even want to win?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
two world wars one world cup

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
If I ever meet somebody who does any of those chants in real life, I am going to spit on them.

I'm going out on a limb to make the extremely unlikely prediction that TRP "favorite" Jozy Altidore will score one goal. I'm also going to make the significantly safer prediction that he will manage to fall down more than ten times.

I, for one, am proud that team USA upholds the sacred American tradition of having 2+ passports per person and frequently changing the country they claim to be from. I've got a British one!

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Concerned Citizen posted:

two world wars one world cup

Well, one and a half really.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hegay posted:

US giving the swiss a run for their money when it comes to poaching players from other countries

We're a nation of immigrats, read the OP. We've let all the eurotrash in for 300 years, it's about time we got a few good 'uns.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

chuggo is BACK posted:

Tim Timeree Tim Timeree Tim Tim Teree
He's let one more through
and we're now 0 for Three

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Are there any other rappers playing for america or is it just oval office Dempsey

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The loss the US inflicted on Portugal in 2002 still torments my soul to this very day. On June 22nd cosmic justice will be achieved and the brave Ronaldoes will send the Jozy Altidores back to Kentucy.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Mikkel Diskerud is norwegian why does he play for the USMNT, it doesnt make sense.

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game

euroboy posted:

Mikkel Diskerud is norwegian why does he play for the USMNT, it doesnt make sense.

Norway is a state in the USA, but Mix is the only one good enough to play for the USMNT.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Bogan Krkic posted:

Are there any other rappers playing for america or is it just oval office Dempsey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxHIx7Y6Cio

Dunban posted:

I have been a rabid USMNT supporter for more than 20 years, and I wouldn't be caught dead participating in any of those chants.

I think our best strategy this world cup is to grease up the noggins of Bradley and Howard and maybe that will create enough glare to blind the other team long enough for Beckerman to snare 'em with his stanky dreads.

scourgeofthe7bees fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 26, 2014

The No! Team
Jan 6, 2012
A nation of over 300 million people, and you have to poach 7 out of 23 players, that's really some bad and some fail.

Especially since a player like Diskerud would have been a fringe player on the Norwegian team, at best.

The No! Team
Jan 6, 2012
I think Aron Jóhannsson is closer to the starting line up on the USMNT, than he would be for Iceland, a nation of 300k. c/d?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

USA ain't nothing to m*ss with

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
just imagine what could have been

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
You all laugh now, but I will enjoy when we beat Portugal. the Man and everyone decides that Portugal is bad instead of the United States being good and losing the last thing you can claim you are better than us at and I will probably eat a hot dog and do sick wheelies around all your embassies

msj817
Apr 1, 2003

Please help me help you forget about Jozy.
We have already won it all.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
can't believe Giuseppe Rossi didn't make the cut AGAIN. what the h*ck, Jurgen?

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

euroboy posted:

the usmnt is a melting pot, where any culture/gender/religion is accepted. some of these other isolationist countries should take notes

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

fat greasy puto posted:

the usmnt is a melting pot, where any culture/gender/religion is accepted. some of these other isolationist countries should take notes

Manti Te'o is going to play in WC2016 as a fa'afafine

The No! Team
Jan 6, 2012

fat greasy puto posted:

the usmnt is a melting pot, where any culture/gender/religion is accepted.

Also, nationality

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Barry Shitpeas posted:

DeAndre Yedlin
I don't know anything about this guy but check out his hair!

He's pretty fast.

Also, that's, like, his worst haircut.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
USA ain't nothing to f*ck wit!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
nationality, citizenship, language spoken? we don't care. get your kicks in the land of opportunity, on the united states mens national team

• Locked thread