Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So this girl is some lame has been, what the gently caress is she doing on this show?

Judging.

Oh, you don't mean Mel B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Whoever does the lightning for this show needs to be immediately fired. Holy poo poo it was bad

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
I wonder if anyone had seizures during the light flashing part of the fan-girls act.

I thought Emily's singing was the best, and the guy at the end was just mediocre, but America's probably going to give him all of their votes 'cuz of his doe eyes.

It was great how much production was put into each of these acts, which makes me very excited to see what the shadow-dancing folk are going to do.

Nut Better
Feb 17, 2011

:same:

xov posted:

I wonder if anyone had seizures during the light flashing part of the fan-girls act.

I thought Emily's singing was the best, and the guy at the end was just mediocre, but America's probably going to give him all of their votes 'cuz of his doe eyes.

It was great how much production was put into each of these acts, which makes me very excited to see what the shadow-dancing folk are going to do.

I agree on the singing. I usually wish the singers would just go to American Idol or other singing competitions but Emily has been knocking it out of the park. Miguel was alright but I don't think Come Together is a great song for showcasing a single talent.

The production values definitely seem to be upped early this year. All the pyro and graphics seemed to be at the level of ony the final rounds in previous seasons. It's a shame that the camera work and the sound mixing (as always) was off and I couldn't see or hear half the acts properly. Any act with dimmed lights looked pretty terrible.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Oh christ, gently caress this. The Bulgarian strongman holds up a loving wheel which his wife does loops on a bike in 20 feet in the air on his neck and he gets bumped for the loving singer!? gently caress her and America.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh christ, gently caress this. The Bulgarian strongman holds up a loving wheel which his wife does loops on a bike in 20 feet in the air on his neck and he gets bumped for the loving singer!? gently caress her and America.

It looked like it was being supported from the ceiling which, even if it wasn't, was bad staging and made it look unimpressive. At the very least they used cranes or whatever to raise the thing which, again, took away from the act.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wow, I thought that was definitely an "All of you".

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

REALLY? loving hell they botched their stupid trick.

And now obviously the judges are gonna chose the salsa dancers. This loving blows, the jumprope group is at least interesting.

edit: this show makes me so drat angry. theres a Latino dance group every single goddamn year.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 31, 2014

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

REALLY? loving hell they botched their stupid trick.

And now obviously the judges are gonna chose the salsa dancers. This loving blows, the jumprope group is at least interesting.

edit: this show makes me so drat angry. theres a Latino dance group every single goddamn year.

I'm hoping in the finals the head lady for the latino salsa dancing group pulls off her mask revealing that guy who was in charge of the Miami All stars.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The magicians this year are really a let down. I can't figure exactly out how he did it but I was not surprised by anything that happened.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Juan Carlos was entertaining in an ironic way. What the hell is up with the sound today? Is it just me or is there like a shrieking coming in every time there's any applause?

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Not gonna lie, I cast a couple votes for Juan Carlos. I thought the magicians trick was actually pretty badass -- reminded me of old David Blaine. STREET MAGIC.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
In a display of cosmic irony, I actually hope Juan Carlos gets through to the next round, and the one after that.

In 2007, some of us will remember a little show called American Idol had a contestant named Sanjaya Malokar, who coasted through the first several rounds on his tween appeal and was, without doubt, the worst singer on the show that season. However thanks to an internet campaign, Vote for the Worst, championed by none other than Howard Stern, he got enough subversive votes to get him way farther than he deserved to go.

Now that Howard Stern has joined the club of reality show tv judges who get paid dump trucks full of money, Juan Carlos making it to the finals would be a fine display of karma.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The Nastier Nate posted:

Juan Carlos was entertaining in an ironic way. What the hell is up with the sound today? Is it just me or is there like a shrieking coming in every time there's any applause?

I gave him all my votes, he owns the stage and kicks rear end. :colbert:

And yeah it sounded like there was someone with some kind of weird noise-maker in the audience for a while, I know just what you mean.

The hand-balancer, 12 year old girl, and Aerial Animation all did great too. And even most of the rest of the acts did at least pretty well, overall better than last week.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 6, 2014

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
Hand-balancing guy got all of my votes.

Did anyone else notice YouTube URLs coming up all night in the captions, if you had them turned on? I haven't bothered to try to transcribe any of them.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Best part of DVRing this show is being able to fast forward whenever Howie is on screen.

e: Howard actually calls him out on ruining the show too. Him and Mel are the only good judges.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 7, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You did a shipwreck and a horse ride, stop being such a drama queen.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Mantis42 posted:

Best part of DVRing this show is being able to fast forward whenever Howie is on screen.

e: Howard actually calls him out on ruining the show too. Him and Mel are the only good judges.

Also now that the viewership is down you can be an hour late and still feel like you're live-posting! Man that magician with Desmond was bad!

Anyone agree?....

Anyone....

Anybody else there?.....

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Sons of Serendip have actual talent.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Yeah, still watching for some reason.

Howard is right, Desmond is boring.

Howie is drunk maybe? Sad that he's not constantly plugging @howiemandel anymore, because that made for a great AGT drinking game.

I don't care how good that kid pianist is, because he's a turd and I hope he wins only wedgies.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

lifts cats over head posted:

Also now that the viewership is down you can be an hour late and still feel like you're live-posting! Man that magician with Desmond was bad!

Anyone agree?....

Anyone....

Anybody else there?.....
The magician was Awful.

Serendip was the best performance of the night, followed by the future strip club owning piano player.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, agreed so far that Serendip was the easily the best, and furthermore one of the few that was even impressive. Wendy the comedian also gets an honorable mention.

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Howie is drunk maybe?

Yeah, no joke, he's super off tonight. Maybe freaked out about Robin Williams, or something.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I thought Blue Journey was actually pretty beautiful.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Man, the acrobat/Scooby act was really good too.

All of the sudden I like a few acts.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Oh FFS, it's this guy. You might as well slot him into the finals due to sheer :911:

His singing is painfully mediocre at best

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

His voice broke constantly in that song. The judges just don't want to say anything.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This season's Jimmy Rose.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I thought it was a murderer's row tonight; banghra, piano kid, acrobats, lady comedian, sons of serendip, blue journey, hell, even hand-balancing guy and dog all deserve to go through, they were great.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Wendy is still doing the exact same jokes I saw her doing on Letterman 15 years ago.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

TheBizzness posted:

Wendy is still doing the exact same jokes I saw her doing on Letterman 15 years ago.

How old was she then?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Ktik posted:

How old was she then?

gently caress off, Howie!

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Hey at least Anna's gone

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Godinster posted:

Hey at least Anna's gone

She is a HERO! To all mental illness!!!! (Until we find out her story is exaggerated like every story on this show).

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

"One time I was kind of sad after my cat died."

"YOUR LIFE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME! YOU INSPIRE EVERYONE WITH MENTAL ILLNESS!"

Couple of weeks later.

"We need to separate the story from the act. We are all proud of what you've overcome, but was this performance enough to move on to the next round? America will have to decide..."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kenichi's choreography is really good, but now that I've seen him 3 or 4 times since the show ended he always does the same moves.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

Godinster posted:

Hey at least Anna's gone

Yay.

My favorites got to move on. Dueling Hand Balancers is going to be interesting if it comes down to that.

Sons of Serendip were by far my most favorite last night. I used to dabble in music composition and used the same instruments, so they already have my attention with their ensemble.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Sons of Serendip should let Distinguished Gentlemen of Brass open for them when they tour.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

This children's choir sure sounds like a children's choir alright.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My child is an idiotic piece of poo poo but goddamn can he throw a playing card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He has to do a bit more than point blank card throwing to go anywhere.

• Locked thread