Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

kastein posted:

A confetti cannon for dealing with tailgaters.

Already have one of those. The exhaust is quite rusty :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Undercarriage glow.

Permanently mounted worklights.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have seriously considered doing this with a previous car.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have one of those cigarette lighter rechargeable flashlights, and three LED warning triangles with integrated flashlights and magnets on the back. Maybe a cylinder head temp sensor?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

A lot of people seem to like doing this for spotting rocks etc on 4x4s. Guess it also lets you see what you need to fix when you don't spot the rocks.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Geirskogul posted:

I have one of those cigarette lighter rechargeable flashlights, and three LED warning triangles with integrated flashlights and magnets on the back. Maybe a cylinder head temp sensor?

DANGER TO MANIFOLD

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 250 days!)

Splizwarf posted:

DANGER TO MANIFOLD

Answer your PMs. Someone wants the Nexus if you've decided that you don't. :mrgw:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Coming back from preMOB training (I'm 90% not deploying, but they train benches/extras in case someone doesn't pass medical during the next step in the process). Two weeks in Florence AZ in the sand and dirt rolling around like it's BCT again.

Also, I did this before leaving. Not the greatest (my first try) but I'll keep it for now until I find some more vinyl I like for cheap.

Compared to what it used to be:

Those gauges are new. I really like having a volt and temp gauge. On the hottest days it does peak above 200 (just hovering around what I assume is the 212 line, the scale lines aren't evenly spaced from 200-260), but I've never seen it get to what I assume is the 240 line, not even close. Today, coming home in the rain, it never got above 180. I'm assuming that my cooling system is working fine if it hits around 210 during a 110 day.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 17, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
That perforated vinyl looks great. I'll admit that I don't know poo poo about Beetles, but yours is pretty drat cool.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
looks good!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Best part is, it's not completely perforated. It's waterproof marine vinyl with a dimple/perforation pattern. Leftovers from a motorcycle seat cover I did a few weeks ago. Doesn't let any air through from the trunk area anymore.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN

Also: http://blipshift.com/products/n2overload

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 20, 2014

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I like where this is going :getin:

Also, got a link to that vinyl? I need to do the seat on my bike this winter and that looks perfect.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Kind of potato quality, but here's a few quick snaps.

There are runs, and I didn't bother masking off the running boards (have new ones on order). The entire thing needs to be polished, but I did many, many coats, so it should stand up to an easy polish to get the gloss evenly spread. I've done it before, and it turns the $50 paint job it is into something on par with a $300 maaco paint job (still poo poo, but nice from ten feet). Overall, I'm happy, though not as happy as I would have been with a roll-on job instead of a spray.

And I have something planned for that dented front apron :getin:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Traffic Cone Orange. Good news is people will see you in traffic.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Geirskogul posted:

Kind of potato quality, but here's a few quick snaps.

There are runs, and I didn't bother masking off the running boards (have new ones on order). The entire thing needs to be polished, but I did many, many coats, so it should stand up to an easy polish to get the gloss evenly spread. I've done it before, and it turns the $50 paint job it is into something on par with a $300 maaco paint job (still poo poo, but nice from ten feet). Overall, I'm happy, though not as happy as I would have been with a roll-on job instead of a spray.

And I have something planned for that dented front apron :getin:

loving love the bumperless look with the dual exhaust.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Unfortunately, the bumpers are going back on :( . That was always the plan, but I was leaving it bumperless for a few days to let the paint fully set. Now that I've "polished" it (orbital buffer + compound made it actually less shiny overall, but consistent in texture, which is a plus, I guess), I want to stop freaking out every time someone runs up on my rear end at a traffic stop. I also have a gigantic order of parts and bits and bobs coming in, including a three-trumpet horn.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Did you try polishing the bumpers with wet tinfoil yet?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have new bumpers I'm going to install, mounted and ready to go on. Also have:

Fender beading
Handle seals (hood and trunk, current ones are missing)
Plugs and wires
New trim pieces
Covers for the running boards
Electronic ignition
New pocketless door cards, so I can move the speakers to under the window crank
missing preheat tin (right hand side, small 4 inch square diverter piece)
New tail lights, slim-style bubble ones
clutch
front main seal
transmission flywheel seal
bumper mounts

A bunch of little stuff that will hopefully overshadow the poo poo paint job. Details over the big picture, because that's what ACVW nerds tend to be about.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
After my first ever polishing, and like my third car waxing. Not great, but at least it's a solid texture now. Also, noticed that I've missed a few spots.

Also, I bought a $10 multi-tone horn from Harbor Freight on a lark today, but I can't turn off the musical setting. Even with the "music off"-jumper activated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lujYIIHbmek

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Cars lookin good! Love the color.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Wow, that looks a lot better than before! How did you polish the car up? How long did it take?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I bought a $40 polisher/sander from harbor freight, some terry and microfiber pads, and some meguiar's ultimate compound, followed up with some mother's caranuba wax I had laying around. It was my first time polishing, so there are quite a few areas, especially where the fenders meet the body, where I burned the paint or let the side of the disc hit the body and cause damage. I guess there's a first time for everything, and all I damaged was some spray paint.

Total time, not including the time it took to drive back to return the first polisher that died literally five minutes in (the $20 random orbital polisher), was probably five hours or so. But a lot of that is my inexperience, coupled with all of those loving convex surfaces. I'm convinced I could do the same thing to my fiancee's explorer in half the time.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Next time wet sand first and then buff?

You pay for cheap paint jobs in hours of labor!
Looks awesome!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, with painting, no matter where or how, you will put your hours in. Laziness never pays off, yet I still always try.

Installed rear bumper:

Installed front bumper:

Here's the ~*~magical~*~ horns installed in the front crash structure:

I still need to take care of the dented/broken front grille, but at least the bumper hides it most of the time:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Fukken christmas!
What's this?

These!

Special tools

Door card, trim, and handle mounts

Clutch, transmission nose, and flywheel/front seal

Electronic ignition!

Gaskets!

Tail lights!

The big cheese, new carburetor!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Parts! gently caress yeah!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh man I LOVE new parts day!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So, my waxing job a week ago went all cloudy and poo poo, and from what I gather, that's because I either A: put it on too thick, B: Didn't give it enough time to fully haze/dry before wiping it off, C: Doing it in partial/full sun, or D: all of the above. Oh well, it seems that the answer to the problem is A1: rub it really good and do it again, which is simple enough for me. Anyway, onwards!

Installed my ebay-found volkswagen trim. Had to drill holes, but I think I got it pretty good:

Trim:

More trim:

Even more trim (to further hide the shame):

Hood emblem:

NEW Hotness!

Even mounts fully to the intake, versus the old one that used some weird adapter

Old and busted!

With adapter

That goop is epoxy, from where a piece of metal flew out at light speed when it backfired one day

Still functions, for anybody that wants it for cost of shipping + 15 or whatever.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Geirskogul posted:

Installed my ebay-found volkswagen trim. Had to drill holes, but I think I got it pretty good:

Oh man, I hate to be that guy, but it looks like it's a bit crooked.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I like where this is going :getin:

Also, got a link to that vinyl? I need to do the seat on my bike this winter and that looks perfect.

I completely missed this post, but here is the ebay link. I re-did the seat on my fiancee's motorcycle a page or two back with the same vinyl, and it has held up beautifully in the weeks between to daily riding.

Also, with the new carburetor, it's a completely new car. I mean, yes, the engine seems "slower" to spin up compared to the H30/31, but it has a poo poo-ton more torque. Early 2->3 shifts are no longer a life-or-death performance when going up an onramp.

I also adjusted the toe-in on the front tires, because the inside of both tires (driver's side, especially) were worn to poo poo. I mean, I need new tires, because the driver's side tire inner 1/3rd is down to the tread wear marks already, and they were brand new when I got the car from the PO (always a bad sign, like extra fuses in the glovebox). Using a tape measure, the front tires were nearly a full inch toe out, when they're supposed to be 1/32nd to 3/16th (I am for the middle, 1/8) toe in. The damage is already done, but I can probably eke out a couple thousand off of these tires before having to change them.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Did you paint over the license plate?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, I removed it. Though I did get a bit of polish on there, it wiped off after the photo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Did you paint over the license plate?

That's a real plate, solid goddamn copper. I still have one from our Opel.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's a real plate, solid goddamn copper. I still have one from our Opel.

Probably worth more than the rest of the car in terms of scrap value. :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
New tail lights. I wanted the ones that have squared off edges, but the two places I ordered them from didn't actually have them in stock, and didn't know when they would be back in. So I got the bubble ones instead.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I need to get that fender beading installed gently caress

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I want to buy that old carb! I only need the adapter and the anti-diesel solenoid, but still.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

DJ Commie posted:

I want to buy that old carb! I only need the adapter and the anti-diesel solenoid, but still.

Pm an address and I'll send the carb flat rate usps. If no pms, mail is klintor at Google's mail dot cahm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

If you guys need air cooled parts send me a PM. I have a bunch of stuff I need to get rid of.

• Locked thread