Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
With its territory marked, the wild Super Beetle strikes out in search for its favorite prey, dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Stardotstar posted:

Jesus god man, do you just know this stuff off the top of your head? You're like the Rainman of VWs.

This is the level of commitment that these cars appear to demand.

Imagine, you're on the side of the road and your car bursts into flames.

In a Japanese car the problem solving procedure is something like this:
1. Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo
2. Holy loving poo poo what
3. Collect insurance cheque

The ACVW problem solving procedure for the same issue is something like:
1. It's 9am already?
2. Beat out flames with bare hands while still inside the car, ideally through engine fire access hole in cabin
3. Car wasn't moving when it combusted, therefore you only need to check the most common fuel leak locations - 16.5 through 37 - in the owners manual.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

In reality, it's to save on running wattage. I've put a voltmeter on while running and I'm noticing a low dip around town at night with the headlights on (PO did a higher-wattage headlight conversion, I think it has silverstar ultras in there now, they're awesome). Of course, when I put the 55 Amp alternator on there, maybe this is all for naught. I do like how the turn signals "snap" into view instead of fading on like an incandescent bulb, though. That's got to grab more attention, and is the primary reason I did the conversions on both of my motorcycles.

The bulbs there now for the turn signals are some 1156 LED garbage bulbs I had laying around. If I stick with this I'll put some 3 or 5 watt Cree LEDs in there for more brightness.

I was actually thinking about this exact same thing the other day. LED headlights/turn signals should save massively on wattage, but what car would exist where a headlight puts a noticeable strain on its electrical system?

Now I have the answer. I like it, though. Too bad the Peterson "sealed beam replacement" LED headlights are still so expensive ($182 US a side from RockAuto).

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 4, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So how's it handle now with nice new bushings?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

Also, does anybody know how to get blood out of a PO's carpet?

:stonklol: :redhammer:

Slung Blade's FSM for his Coronet actually had a small section on how to clean blood out of a carpet. I'll ask him.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Did you try polishing the bumpers with wet tinfoil yet?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Wow, that looks a lot better than before! How did you polish the car up? How long did it take?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

One of the reasons I hate the way subies sound is because it reminds me of an acvw that needs a severe tuneup.

If it helps, mine sounds like an ACVW with a hole in the case.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

What's that peeking out on the right, there? Is it a reclaimed ambulance horn? Yes it is, yes it is. :getin:

Did you steal this off your work truck?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah all I could tell from that picture was that it was a solid-state motorcycle fuse/relay box because I just replaced one.

I would expect that someone's made a cheaper version of this, probably one of the powersports standalone ECU manufacturers (Motec PDM? PDM60? PowerHub?)

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man that's a huge oil cooler. ACVWs get all the fun toys :( How much is that supposed to knock off, say, idling in stop and go traffic engine temperatures?

• Locked thread