Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Witness

"Um, no, I..." Witness starts to respond to Ammar, then Jaime reanimates. "Jonathan? Yeah. I... need to talk to him too, I think." They start packing up the camp stove and finishing their coffee. "Um, you want a ride into town, Ammar?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Ammar

I nod. "Sure. I'm not convinced my presence will make him talk more. I wasn't exactly well disposed towards him."

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
Sorry about the delay on this one, but glad to have things moving again.

Dave, you're lucky that the kiddo's grounded and her mom doesn't trust her enough to leave her at the house. Because it's one of your usual tech aides that's on the radio, and not the woman who can tell when you're telling lies even if you think they're true. <Roger that, Outrider actual. We're waiting for you.>

So, I mean, that's good news. And I have even more good news! The bunker is easy to get into, what with it being shut down and the guns all shot up. You just have to drag open the doors that were dragged shut on the way out.

Now, you looking for anything in particular, going into any particular areas? The bunker's fairly big, and you don't have a lot of time.

Oh, one more question. Whiiiich direction were you looking when you chucked Redeye, again?

--

Jaime, the War-Maiden's feelings are complex. Love for kin. Desire for victory. Confusion and curiosity over you, this person who has seen her in ways that are strange and unique...And were supposed to be more strange and unique still. And it's all wrapped tight, like a general in their coat. The soldiers can't be allowed to see it.

And then you're out. How you feeling, after a session like that? And what's the plan?

--

Valkyrie, Jonathan, that woman's still there, of course. And she smiles when she sees you, Jonathan, since you're headed right for the booth. "Glad you're back, kid! You seemed like you had an honest face."

Now, if you want to make this easy, she's got a variety of things. Leathers for riding, power cells for things, magazines for bullet-using guns...Some practical things even if you're not traveling or fighting, too, like filters for water bottles, some good bulbs and LEDs for flashlights. Were I to describe it in a phrase, the woman specializes in the sorts of things you end up needing after you buy something from someone else.

So, you know, you could just drop a little jingle on some handy bits and move on. No fuss, no muss, a little barter and trade and you're out.

Of course, if you want and if you're tempted by what's out front and center, you could try and see the good stock. Every vendor's got something they hold back for the rich and/or powerful, after all. What do you say? Anything catching your eye?

--

Witness, Ammar, you've got Jaime back to responsiveness, so that's...Good. Probably. Psychic poo poo is weird.

Of course, that signal dies mere moments after she snaps out of it. Whoever's on the other side clearly doesn't want to be broadcasting anymore. Witness, did you have a means of recording it in a way that can be decrypted later?

And I assume you three are headed to go find Jonathan, right? Any other plans?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Dave

Northeast probably.

Dave makes quick stock of the area as he moves through the building, entering the same place he left. For the first round he searches for things that would get looted immediately, food, weapons, and of course, the very first thing he grabs; Dave hustles for the medical ward he patched Anne up in and grabs everything he can that doesn't look like it'd decompose when taken out of its environment, including this grey poo poo that apparently functions like liquid duct tape on humans.

(+Sharp to find things and...nope I'm guessing he can at least find the stuff he literally saw when he was here.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 22, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Valkyrie
XP 4+1/5

Valkyrie picks through the offerings, eventually coming up with a unique accessory. Someone made a baldric with the black sheathing from a seeker tentacle, reinforced with bits of the robot's armor. It's got a certain style to it. It's about time to replace the ragged makeshift bit of leather she'd been using anyways.

"This will do." She drops some jingle on the counter, then switches the big blade over and adjusts it until it hangs comfortably. "I think we might want some wheels if we're headed out. Maybe Witness can give us a lift."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Jonathan Jackson Market
Harm 3:00 (1/6), xp 0/5, 1 adv

Leathers would be nice if I had a motorcycle...power cells would be good if I had anything to use them...bullets, light bulbs, they're in the bunker. Behind a locked door that rejects my access, but they're still there.

"Uhm...Thanks, Valkyrie...I guess more bullets couldn't hurt." It feels so weird, taking bullets with the knowledge that I might have to use them against someone.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Witness

Recording is basically a default state for Witness' comm gear, after they had been woken up by a desperate distress signal a couple years after the fall of XCOM and been unable to catch all the relevant details before the transmission went dead. Received signals are kept for ten hours before being overwritten, and keeping a segment is just a matter of transferring it to more permanent media. In this case, a USB thumb drive emblazoned with a bank logo. Tucking the thumb drive into a breast pocket (With a couple of identical thumb drives), Witness climbs into the driver's seat, letting Ammar and Jaime choose between the passenger seat or a small bench seat against one wall.

"Buckle up."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

so yeah this thing still alive?

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jaime

Oh gently caress me I totally forgot to post argh

Some people would expect Jaime to be drained after something like that. But that's not the case at all. Touching a motivated, focused mind- it makes Jaime more motivated, more focused. There's leakage.

She stands. "We have to go find the inheritor."

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
I'd figured we were dead, honestly. But I've still got plenty of interest in this if you guys do.

Waiting on Ammar. If I don't see a post by...Well, sometime in the next 12 or so hours, I'm just gonna do a big post anyways, get to the cool poo poo.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
Valkyrie, Jonathan, I'm going to assume you don't stick around to chat any longer with the merchant. If you want to, hey, let me know and you can, but I'm assuming not.

So I have two questions. One, Valkyrie, are you heading out right away and going straight out to find and meet this woman with the jacket you want?

Two, Jonathan...Where to now? Gonna try and find Witness, I'm guessing? Or have you got some other thing eating at you?

Both of you, let me know so we can get to the good poo poo.

--

Dave, well, good news is, you didn't throw Redeye in the direction of the base, so you probably won't be running into him again for a bit.

Bad news is, between scavengers and the way the place is kind of hosed, you can't find much. The medical ward give you some supplies, both mundane and weird, at least.

Time's running short before people start calling in for a fresh status update. You going to take what you've got and go, or try and stall for more time without having to throw your weight around? Or hell, are you just gonna throw your weight around and do what you want?

--

Witness, Ammar, Jamie, you've got the recording, you've got the psychic visions. All very useful, important poo poo, that points you to one thing.

The young Jonathan. You need him. So, riddle me this, lady and gentlemen; Do you have any idea where the kid is, and/or the means to track him down swiftly? If you do, great, just let me know and we'll get you there. If not...How you going to find him?

--

And so, everybody...What do you do?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Dave

OOC: uh, which one of those options is calling in the militia to systematically loot the place top to bottom so we can get a catalog of what's in it while giving them choice picks of what they find? I'm not sure why I'm doing this in a time sensitive context or hiding it from others?

Other than absolutely critical stuff like med supplies and unreplaceable electronics and stuff , he's okay with locals taking things. It'll end up in the community economy one way or another. He's not particularly concerned if some random from town has a pink zebra skin rug he didn't have this morning.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
Ah, my apologies. Thought you were trying to keep things on the down-low for now.

If you want to just call in everyone you can while Jonathan isn't looking and raid the place, that's cool too.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Dave

Dave looks around the bunker, pondering what he's going to tell the kid later after its been picked clean. Probably something like "Death and Taxes, hoss". He's not heartless. He'll leave like, a futon and blanket or something if Jon still wants to party in his private tomb instead of moving into town.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 9, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Valkyrie
XP 4+1/5

Valkyrie is clearly impatient to be off on her self appointed mission, but she takes a moment to make sure Jonathon is all right heading off to find Witness. If he is, she gets to it.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Jonathan Jackson Market

I can't see anything else I need, so I smile, nod my head, and bow to the peddler. "Thank you," I whisper, before turning back to Valkyrie.

"Okay, I'm ready." There's a bit more certainty in my voice now. "Let's go find the Witness." Even more certainty on the last word.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Witness

OOC: ahhh I stopped minding this character when I thought the game died who is this how is they :supaburn:

Witness starts the van up, waving back over their shoulder at Jaime with the vague message to sit down before she falls down, then puts the car in gear and hits the main broadcast switch, starting a stream of patter as they pull off the suburban lawn.

"Ladies, gentlemen, and those who accept no labels, this is The Witness with your local weather and traffic. Light traffic in and out of Sandy Flats all day, no issues to report. Still no vehicular traffic since previously except for yours truly, and a tip of the sun-faded pre-war cap to my buddy Sethro for keeping me shiny-side up in these troubled times."

The suburb street is actually fairly clear, barring tree roots and stands of grass. Witness is nearly able to get up to the mandated 25 miles per hour, even though the speed limit sign and its mounting post had long since been scavenged to fix someone's domicile.

"So, children, today I want to talk to you about leftovers. Remnants. Remainders. All the things you used, but didn't need all of. Food, which can become a nice stew tomorrow. Cloth, which can be sewn into a scrap bag or a hat. Wood, which at the very least can start a fire. Us. There used to be a lot more of us, gentleminds, every child old enough to make conversation can see that. And they ask me, those children do. They ask me who lived in that house on the hill or what that storefront sold."

The streets with more wreckage cause Witness to slow a bit, then lean over to get their map out of the glovebox and trace a route with one finger. A wheel bumps over a large tree root from a decorative aspen and Witness grunts into the mike before continuing.

"The storefront, I may say, sold diversions, things of plastic, metal, and glass that made adults happier. And that, I may say, is why the family that lives there has a boy named Rambone. The house, I may say, once held a wealthy man and his family, who decided their personal safety was not worth entrusting to the people trained to protect it, who would rather sit behind STOLEN PLASMA TURRETS and watch the rest of the world STARVE! ...I- I don't say that, brothers and sisters. I want to, but the children deserve better. We all do, all of us children on this Earth. I tell them the man living there is ashes and deservedly so, and his crumbling house merely a monument to More Than You Need. With the capitals and everything. Very important, those capitals."

A more important thoroughfare had been hit by aliens, and Witness maneuvers around craters, burnt cars, and those abduction pods the aliens dropped from high flyovers.

"But like the stew and the bag, we left behind have come together to form new things, things greater than we used to be. But the question is, boys, girls, and stranger besides, who else has? Is the US government still out there, hidden in a bunker, living on beans? Is someone else? We sort of stopped worrying about terrorists when the aliens happened. Or at least it got pushed onto the back burner. But children, you know as well as I that not everyone wanted to fight the aliens with us. Just think on them, and wonder if they're still out there too."

The trip gets easier as the van gets into cleared space that Dave and his guards had cleared between Sandy Flats and the town proper, just a clear corridor designed to funnel anything larger than a bicycle into one place for easy identification and/or murdering. Sunlight glints off rifle scopes from the walls.

"Now, children, word will soon be getting around that Witness is coming to town, but hold your jobs, I've got a man to see. We neither of us owe the other money, but he at least looks like he might lend it out. Looking for a young man in a crisp suit. Gotta find out where he does his dry cleaning, I've got a stain that just won't come out no matter how many rocks I pound it with. And now, weather. Clear for the next few days, but clouds moving in over the mountains mean rain in the forecast. It's nice to know weather hasn't changed much thanks to all the poo poo we did in the war, eh? That's it for now, I've been the Witness, your friendly eye on the ground."

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
Dave, what's the plan here? Gonna try and grab everything right away, gonna wait and bring more people with wagons and boxes and poo poo to make it easier, some other thing? I'm trying to get more of a read on your intentions and how you want to go about accomplishing them.

--

Valkyrie, gonna stick around any further to make sure this Witness thing goes okay, or just give Jonathan a clap on the shoulder and bounce?

Assuming you head off, getting out of the town proper's pretty easy for you. Scrawn is stuck on gate duty today, letting folks in and out after vetting them. It's a lovely job, shittier in the summer. Sucks to be the young guy sometimes.

Obviously, you don't need a lot of vetting. He pretty much gives you a nod and goes right back to those trashy old-world books he gets his ideas of relationships from. Hell, he doesn't even spot Meldy dutifully following along behind you.

You've got a direction to go, you know who you're looking for, you've got problems to solve and a jacket to get. I've got two questions for you.

-First, got a vehicle to your name? Any way to not be going on foot?

-Second, what do you do?

--

Everybody else, well now...Jonathan isn't a difficult young man to find, and of course, the van of Witness is an icon. Getting together doesn't take long, though it's long enough that Valkyrie's prrrobably already left.

I'm sure you all have a lot of questions for eachother. And a lot of heavy poo poo to deal with. So, what do you all do?

Sorry for this one being kind of short, guys. Thus is the problem with doing a lot of setup. We'll get into the good stuff here pretty shortly, though.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Set up a perimeter so nothing else gets in or our while we wait for the wagons. Systematically take everything we can and catalogue it before taking it to storage/handing it out as salvage rights to the finder/bringing it in and selling it off at auction to the market.

OOC stortime: My buddy used to be a night manager at a by-the-hour-or-by-the-week motel. Oneday, after noon check out, he goes and knocks on the door of someone still there. The door swings open. They had taken everything, the furniture, the carpet, the room sink, the light fixtures, the wiring in the wall, and yes, the other half of the door knob, which fell off as he knocked I guess what I'm trying to say is we're going to be pretty thorough.

Also, I THINK i leveled up? I was going to buy the bunker as a factory upgrade for the holding, but not sure if that's still going to be possible? If I can use these resources to set up a long term resource producer I'll go with that, instead of just cashing it out for barter points. If you can suggest another upgrade appropriate I could possibly roll with that.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 13, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Jonathan Jackson Market->Van?

For some reason, the image that plays out in my head as I leave the market is that of a long trek, far from home and...the new civilization here. Not a knock against the town, it's a very nice town! But I'm used to seeing more...windmills and motorbuses, I suppose. And I don't even manage to get outside its wall before I find a van with a large broadcasting antenna--several, actually--screech up to and through the local government's improvised roadblock of rusted cars and stern-looking men with old hunting rifles. The van comes to a stop by a convenient side of the road and I feel my brain drawn to it, like by magnetism. I only snap out of my reverie when I find that I've already moved to the driver's side window.

"Uh, hello!" I call inside the tinted glass. "Are you the Witness?"

Dareon, tell me if any of these details don't fit your view of the Witness and their broadcasting van.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Valkyrie
XP 0/5, 1 adv

Valkyrie returns Scrawn's nod. The kid is going to get himself slapped, or more likely stabbed, someday if he tries to apply the 'lessons' of those books. Still, at least he's literate. Dave does decent work in that regard. Far too few leaders do. It will make recruiting more difficult. You can't just hand someone who can't read a laser rifle and expect good things to come out of it.

But that's a concern for tomorrow. Valkyrie turns right out of town, making for the ruins of a strip mall. The place was picked over long ago, not that the storefronts attracted much attention even in the most dire times. A DMV office, an ice cream shop, a Hallmark store, a cash advance service, and a lingerie store. She walks around to the back of it, stopping to look for anyone besides the blob, then fishes a key out to unlock the door to the back door to the DMV.

Inside is a small store room, where she keeps a stash of things too big to carry around. The one she's after is under one of the shelves, folded up. She'd gotten it off one of the raiders she'd helped Dave take down a few months ago. It takes a few minutes to make sure its in working condition, but she put some tools away to take care of it too.

A few minutes later, she locks the door behind her. Probably she should get a helmet, but it's the end of the goddamn world after all. Valkyrie glances down at Meldy, and hikes a thumb over her shoulder to the rack behind her. It can take advantage or not.

She pedals off down the cracked street on her bicycle. It won't outrun a dirt bike or a chopper, but it's a hell of a lot quieter than either, and it's a lot faster than walking.

Decided to head off after my target.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Witness

Witness rolls down the window and puts on what they hope is a friendly smile, but probably comes off more as a weird smirk. "Uh, y-yeah. Jonathan, right?" They pause long enough that it seems logical to respond, then start talking again. "We could use your, uh, help. Hop in." They gesture vaguely at the passenger side door.

---

Jaime is probably also in the van, Ammar probably less so.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 14, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jaime

"Thank you, Memory-keeper. I..." Jaime's eyes are looking out across the horizon at a woman who isn't even there. "I appreciate your kindness."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Jonathan Jackson Market->Van?

For some reason, a name like The Witness makes me thing of someone much more...elevated? Philosophical? Not someone who seems nervous just looking at me.

"Uh, sure. Thanks." I walk around and climb inside the passenger side door. "Nice radio van you have. Old pirate radio person?"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Witness

"Ah, no, I, um, ex-" Or was it X-? "er, long story, but the van's from like three TV studios. We, uh, what do you know about your bunker's comm protocols? It's just, well, we got a signal that matches what your turrets use- er, used."

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
Alright, we've got some time gaps to deal with here....

Jonathan, Witness, Jaime, you're all in the now. So, you three, what's the plan? Going for the bunker for stuff to crack this code? Going to try and trace the signal's steps, get to its origin? Or some other plan entirely?

--

Dave, in the now, it doesn't take much time to get a decent perimeter established, but getting the wagons in and starting to systematically loot the place, that'll take some time. Not a huge amount, but enough to go from the now to the later.

What'll happen in the later, of course, will depend entirely on whether a certain van ends up going your way or not. Stay tuned to find out!

Also, assuming you get the place looted, you're more than welcome to use those supplies to get a factory upgrade going. Not sure how much equipment the place has for such things, but there's certainly enough information in the textbooks and computers to build something up.

--

Valkyrie, not too much happening in the now. You, riding along. It's downright peaceful, honestly. Just you and Meldy, nothing tying you down.

So let's focus on the later. Now, for the sake of the post, I'm going to focus on the assumption that the Witness and others aren't going to end up passing you or giving you a lift. Obviously that changes everything.

But assuming that it remains you and Meldy for a while, what kind of equipment and prep do you have for tracking down this woman who could be a problem, and the jacket she has?

Now, let me be clear, I'm not saying you need the equipment to find her. She's running a chopper gang outside the kind of town with only so many roads going in or out of it, and only so many sources for fresh fuel. Finding her isn't going to be hard even if it's just you, your bike, and your meld blob. But it could take a bit longer, that way.

So, again making the assumption that you won't be able to just hitch a ride(or that you'll choose not to), what have you got?

--

So, everyone. As we enter the now, and begin our passage from it into the later... What do you do?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Valkyrie
XP 0/5, 1 adv

The bike beats walking, and Valkyrie has the endurance to make the most out of it. Many of the roads are in poor repair and clogged with debris and old rusting hulks of automobiles, but in all by the worst stretches it has enough good pavement left for a bike path. And it's light enough for her to pick up when she needs to skirt a rise or exposed spot.

She keeps her radio on, an earbud in as she periodically scans frequencies in an effort to pick things up, and periodic stops to take out her binoculars - scuffed but still in good repair - gives her a pretty good lay of the land. The big advantage is that motorized bikes, even dirt bikes, need fairly open terrain for movement, which is exactly the areas she's moving through on her wheels. But because her bike is quiet, there's a good chance she'll notice them first. And the portability should give her a chance to get the drop on them.

The question really is, exactly what she should do when she finds them. Have to observe them a bit first, probably.

She looks over her shoulder at the blob. "Enjoying the scenery? Well, let me know if you see them first."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Jonathan Jackson Van

"Uhm..." Crud. I know...dammit, I guess if anybody would know anything about the bunker, it'd be me, but they never told me anything about them! "The basis is a very old system, I know that much. Like, do you know anything about the 1950s? It dates from around there. Which is probably why it survived until now...wait, did you say you needed my help for something?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Jaime

"Someone seeks you, Inheritor."

Jaime lies against the wall, eyes closed, but her head swivels to follow Jonathan without apparent effort. "A woman, with strong eyes. She is looking for you... and she has seen me. She knows you are here."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Jonathan Jackson Van

"A woman with strong--" somehow my mind makes the connection immediately. "TAMMY?! You've seen her?!" I must sound desperate right now, and honestly I am--it takes a lot of effort to not shake her. "Tell me, tell me! You gotta tell me!" My head starts to hurt really badly, but I can stay focused. "Where is my sister? Is she okay?!"

I hope you don't mind if I manipulate you, Jamie. But let's see if this roll works.
[22:18:31] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6+1
[22:18:31] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 5+1 = 6
Aww...

I don't know if she'll tell me or not...where is she?!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Witness

Witness startles at Jonathan's outburst, flinching back from the boy instinctively. "Whoa, she, uh, she's well enough to encrypt her signal and not just broadcast a general SOS, here, take a, uh, loo- listen..." They grab their tablet and plug one of the USB sticks in... resulting in footage of the Ross wedding. "Sorry, wrong one." The right stick is quickly found, letting Jonathan examine the encrypted signal in all its obtuse glory (With all manner of soundwave displays and techy business). "I-if you don't know crypto yourself, I can probably kludge something out of the comm gear at your bunker..."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Ammar

I didn't go with the others. I considered it, really. But I don't think I'd be at my place there. No, I need to go find those doctors in that Ex-Alt base. Wake one of them up. See what can be done about... my condition.

Heading towards the bunker

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
Alrighty, folks...

Dave, so, wagons are taking a bit. What's taking less time, is the sniper whose skin keeps blending into what's around him. So let me ask you...When you and your perimeter see Ammar headed for the bunker, what do you do?

--

Valkyrie, I've got good news and...news. You haven't been overtaken by anyone, you're still the individual furthest out. And you've found sign of the woman you're looking for, and her crew.

Tracks in the dirt where no road remains. Motorcycle tracks, to be specific. I'll give you a freebie, it looks like she's been scouting, and rather awfully close to the city. Meldy bubbles in a worried fashion, looking from the tracks to you.

You can, of course, follow these tracks. They're even on the fresh side, by the looks of them, not much dust settled into the grooves. Going to make any further preparations or reconsiderations, or are you going in? What do you do?

--

Jaime, Jonathan, Witness, so you've got that signal playing again. You've got an idea of the direction it came from when you recorded it. And you've got the man with the best shot of knowing how to get through all that drat encryption.

So, question is...

Jonathan, you parsing a word of that encryption? Even enough to know whether the bunker has what you need?

Jaime, you getting any vibes off Jonathan? Or anything else about this situation?

Witness, got a plan B if Jonathan can't crack this code? It's sure relevant to him, either way.

What do you all do?

--

Ammar, as you go for the bunker, you can get a great view of the perimeter that's been set up. Also, what's left of the battlefield from before, after the looting and stomping of corpses and such.

Which certainly changes things, I imagine. Sticking with the plan, or changing strategies now that this wrench has been thrown into the works? What do you do?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Ammar

They're already going for the bunker. Makes sense. There's a lot of resources to be gained there. I generally don't take anything that can't fit in a backpack, but if you have a town here.

Briefly I consider sneaking past them. Shouldn't be too hard. But what I want here isn't exactly a little thing. Not is it something that concerns me alone. The man and his daughter both took a severe dose of Meld, possibly 'spoiled' Meld. At the very least it was acting in... odd ways. They've got as much reason to want to speak to one of these X-Alt doctors as I do.

So, I just find the first of the townspeople I can find. "Hey, you, take me to your leader."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Valkyrie
XP 0/5, 1 adv

Signs of her goal. Good. Valkyrie ignores Meldy's burbling and pulls to a stop, raising her binoculars to her eyes to take a look around and get the lay of the land. As soon as she's reasonably confident she's not riding right into an ambush, she carries on, following the tracks.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Dave

Oh, its that dude again. "Yeah, I know him, let him through." He waits for the colorshifting guy to approach. "I'm not sure I got your name last time. What's up?"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Ammar al Hawwash

"Ammar al'Hawwash. And yes, things went quickly downthere. It's about what happened when you found your daughter, and what you used on yourself." I look around at the others present, giving him a chance to remove anyone from listening in, in case he wanted to keep it private.

"The stuff you used on yourself and your daughter is called Meld. It's something the aliens brought here. I don't know how it works exactly but it... well... melds human flesh with alien stuff, or machinery. I had it used on me, during the war, back when I was part of X-Com."

I look at his arm. "It seems to work all right for now, but that stuff has been laying around for almost two decades. And that Meld I've seen in the bunker is acting unlike anything I've ever seen before. This place still has some scientists around that worked with it, probably built it. I just learned that this X-Alt was some kind of opponent of X-Com. Wanted to make peace with the aliens, or sell us out. I don't know. But that's... well... a long time ago. And if there's any scientists left who know about Meld and how to use it or repair it, and the tools to do so, it's probably in that bunker."

"I've got my own reasons. Partly, my own... Meld adaptions are not working as well. Without some scientist taking a look and maybe fixing...whatever is going wrong, I might be a goner soon."

"So what I'm saying is that before you loot this place apart completely, it might be a good idea to first get out their biggest science brains and have them... do a bit of a check up."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Dave

Dave most certainly does step aside, into the bunker's entrance. "Well Ammar, I'm Dave, and yeah, I used it because the alternative was having my daughter's arm amputated and mine was from making sure it wouldn't immediately kill her. But yes, I'd like answers too."

"So this "meld" stuff, is uh, that's why your skin shifts colors? And you said there's more scientists in there, xeno sympathizers or just anti xcom? The issue is, I didn't think there was anyone else besides that kid in there. Maybe a subroom of the bunker?"

Dave pauses a moment and thinks. "If they're anti Xcom, they're going to take one look at you and realize you're one of them. Some of my men and myself," He points to his old body armor "Have old U.S. army gear, that might make the scientists more cooperative initially." Dave puts out a call for the people around the perimeter that still have old, recognizable stuff from 20 odd years ago to come over (seven of them if possible).

"Okay folks, gather round," he crouches in front of the bunker, in front of a patch of dirt. "According to our friend here, there's still people in this bunker, scientists, doctors. I don't have to tell you how important that is. You are all going to pretend you're U.S. army. Yeah, including you Jose and Doorstop, you're in your 20s, but that just helps convince them that the old, pre-gently caress up government still exists. I want three teams of 2 people each to sweep the area and look for them. Beth, you're the odd person out, we hang back in this office around the corridor and coordinate. Our friend here is going to..." He looks at Ammar, "Can you turn that off? I mean, make it shift to a regular skin color? If not it might be best if you hung back in the central corridor while I coordinate the teams with Beth." Dave doesn't inform Ammar that another reason he's bringing along a third party is in case things turn violent.

Dave begins drawing a crude outline of the bunker layout as he recalls it and begins assigning areas, "Okay, Millie and Anderson, you..." etc etc.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 29, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Ammar

"I'm afraid not. This skin was just for stealth combat situation, not for walking around among people unnoticed." I was probably never meant to be walking among the people. I very much doubt if Bradford and the higher ups would have let me walk if we had obtained a victory. "It's fine. I'll stay back a bit. Even without my skin, my eyes got adapted too. If he's so skilled in these kind of... adaptions, he'd probably notice that as well."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Jonathan Jackson Van

The truck is oddly silent, except for the sound of the radio beeping...or playing something back?

Wait...that series of beeps just now...didn't I hear it before, somewhere...

...there it is again! It's repeating! The beeps are a signal, a sign of--

--I heard them before, before I went in the MELD, my father was listening to a series of beeps just like--

"Where did you get this recording?" I ask aloud. "Uhm...not to pry. I mean...I think I might be able to figure out what it's saying under the beeps...I think my, uh, what did you call it, 'inheritance'?" I shrug. "I think there's a piece of equipment in the bunker that, uh...removes the beeping, leaves the message. It's kinda small, kinda technical, but uh...maybe?"

Hey Ronwayne, how much stuff is Dave taking from the bunker? I'm thinking one possible complication might be that "the bunker can decrypt this message, but we need to get something back that your men took out".

• Locked thread