Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sydney Bottocks posted:

If we're talking "five best episodes to get a new person into MST3K" (no particular order):

Space Mutiny
Future War
Hobgoblins
The Giant Spider Invasion
Time Chasers

Well, at least someone else liked the Hobgoblins episode. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If it's for a new viewer, you have to include Alien Fugitive, if only to inflict HE TRIED TO KILL ME WITH A FORKLIIIIIFT on someone else.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Here are my current five episodes:

1. Pod People - so many things
2. The Girl in Lover's Lane - Big Stupid and their Woody Guthrie style train songs.
3. Danger!! Death Ray - The cheap special effects and that guy who jumps out a window for no reason
4. The Thing That Wouldn't Die - Jessica, I'm a sucker for musical stings
5. The Screamimg Skull - the increasingly ridiculous descriptions of the first wife's death. And gumby.

honeybee
Sep 18, 2009

Prince of Space
Twelve to the Moon
Puma man
Werewolf
Final Sacrifice

In no particular order at all

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Philthy posted:

Mitchell is probably the only one that I really love watching. All the rest I'd rate the same.

I still just randomly blurt out "Mitchell!" sometimes for no drat reason.

I sometimes find myself singing the line from the Mitchell "song":

"Heart pounding,
Veins cloggin'
Mitchell! Mitchell!"

Kangra
May 7, 2012

War of the Colossal Beast
Pod People
Mitchell
The Final Sacrifice
Gamera

I think you need a good short to be paired with the best episode, and I think either War of the Colossal Beast, or The Unearthly make a great intro to the series.

Pod People is great. The Trumpy voice is perfection.

Mitchell of course is ripe for riffs and for once not a terrible movie really. It also has one of the best segments as we transition to 'the new guy'.

The Final Sacrifice is my favorite of the later-era ones. I do like Space Mutiny but find the movie itself becomes a mess and just slows down, leading to less material to riff on as the episode goes on. It's still up there on the 'good' episode list.

There are perhaps too many Gamera episodes, but the original and G vs. Guiron are the best.

Club MST3k has a 'sort by laughs' function which seems to match what most people have voted up here too. (Aside from Manos, which is really a thing unto itself).

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008
My favorites that aren't really getting mentions:

Quest of the Delta Knights (Filmed in a ren. faire, the amazing David Warner plays two characters)
Blood Waters of Dr. Z (Monster shuffling in and out of frame for scene after scene. For extra fun check out RedLetterMedia's review of it under the other title Zaat)
Hercules Against The Moon Men (DEEP HURTING)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Was there ever a good explanation as to why David Warner played two completely separate characters in Quest of the Delta Knights?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm not that big of a fan of Space Mutiny. Outside the nickname game there wasn't much to work with.

The Final Sacrifice is amazing. Definitely my favorite one. After that I love all the cheesy 1980 Conan the Barbarian rip offs like Deathstalker and the Warriors From Hell, Gor, and stuff like that.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Doltos posted:

I'm not that big of a fan of Space Mutiny. Outside the nickname game there wasn't much to work with.

Dead people coming back to life, Philip Law (Diabolik!) hamming it up, weird dancing, Reb Browns screaming, stupid outfits, futuristic floor dusters, weird action scenes, railing deaths...

Verisimillipede
Jul 17, 2006

1. I Accuse My Parents - "Liar Liar Liar!"
2. Prince of Space - "WE LIKE IT VERY MUCH"
3. Hobgoblins - "I have to tell you you'll have to apply a series of ointments to me regularly"
4. The Beatniks - "Shut up, Iris!"
5. Deathstalker And The Warriors From Hell - "We're Still Fighting Bravely For Our Vague Goal!"

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I think it really comes down to the Mike/Joel split. I'm a Mike man.

Space Mutiny
Time Chasers
Prince of Space
Riding With Death
Puma Man

IMDB agrees that Seasons 9 and 10 were a golden age.

Mike man here too, and I absolutely cannot fault your list. It's hard picking a top 5 with MST (and there are a ton of good Joel episodes too), but this is about as close as I could manage it. I might have bumped Puma Man to #2 and Riding With Death shuffled to #5, or replaced by Hobgoblins.

I think my rating of Puma Man may be inspired by the fact I've never, ever, ever been able to get the drat Puma Man theme out of my head, so I remember the episode way more.

ED: This might be the only show that I watched for years and then liked better when a main character - that I liked - was replaced. Admittedly the first 10 or so episodes he took over were a little rocky but once he got in the groove, he really did knock it out of the park. It's not a surprise Mike is with them at Rifftrax.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 15, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Mike over Joel all the time. Crow over Tom Servo.

What are the 5 worst movies they've ever done? Hobgoblins riff is great but the movie is so bad that it's tough to get through that episode.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 15, 2014

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Was there ever a good explanation as to why David Warner played two completely separate characters in Quest of the Delta Knights?

None that I've ever heard, but probably because he was the only actor worth anything in the production. During filming while on breaks the lead actors had their own tables and trailers, but David Warner eschewed those to instead sit with the extras and crew and swap stories and so forth. Meanwhile the other lead actors evidently acted like a-list prima donnas.

Also the director thought it wasn't a big deal to light a fire in a fake fireplace made out of styrofoam, so they had to pour buckets of water down the backside of it to keep for burning down the house.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Doltos posted:

Mike over Joel all the time. Crow over Tom Servo.

What are the 5 worst movies they've ever done? Hobgoblins riff is great but the movie is so bad that it's tough to get through that episode.

Top of my worst movie list is Hamlet. Bad Shakespeare is pretty much the worst. Other than that I'm not too fond of first season episodes, what with everything looking off because a lot of stuff wasn't exactly finalized and the writing isn't quite as tight.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah Hamlet is the pits. Also Red Zone Cuba. As much as people talk up Manos as the worst I think both of these are easily harder to watch.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

Darko posted:

Dead people coming back to life, Philip Law (Diabolik!) hamming it up, weird dancing, Reb Browns screaming, stupid outfits, futuristic floor dusters, weird action scenes, railing deaths...

Hell, Captain Santa Claus alone was worth a ton of riffs. :v:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

When listing bad episodes, I almost feel like naming anything from Season 1 is cheating because the show was still in gestation. On the other hand, of the Season 1 episodes my favorite is Robot Holocaust

Beyond season 1 and aside from the ones mentioned, King Dinosaur is one of the worst in my opinion because you could tell that they were sick of Robert Lippert by that movie. Plus it had the "Joey the Lemur" segment.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Doltos posted:

The worst episodes are when the movie is just too bad/boring to be redeemed by riffs. MST didn't really find its legs until season 3 or so, but there's a lot of scattered episodes where the movie is just god awful. I would say The Starfighters, because half the footage is of mid-air refueling and you can only stretch the sexual innuendo so far.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While those parts are boring, the rest of the movie makes up for it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think my rating of Puma Man may be inspired by the fact I've never, ever, ever been able to get the drat Puma Man theme out of my head, so I remember the episode way more.

"Puma-Man, he flies like a moron".

Like the Mitchell song I posted above, I'll occasionally find myself singing that lyric.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'll add to my earlier statement of Red Zone Cuba by saying all of the Coleman Francis movies are pretty terrible. The Beast of Yucca Flats stands out as one of the worst as well. I haven't watched Skydivers in a long time and don't remember much about it. But Yucca and Cuba definitely stand out as two of the worst movies they've ever done.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Deadpool posted:

I'll add to my earlier statement of Red Zone Cuba by saying all of the Coleman Francis movies are pretty terrible. The Beast of Yucca Flats stands out as one of the worst as well. I haven't watched Skydivers in a long time and don't remember much about it. But Yucca and Cuba definitely stand out as two of the worst movies they've ever done.

I loathed Red Zone Cuba the first couple of times I sat through, but dammit, if it didn't grow on me.

Also, I guarantee that the final line "He ran all the way to hell with nothing in his pocket buy a penny and a broken cigarette" was the entire basis of the movie. I bet Francis thought of that line, thought it was deeply profound, and then wrote the rest of the movie to lead up to that moment.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 16, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

Mike over Joel all the time.

I remember my mom used to watch MST3k sometimes when I was growing up too, but not consistently. And she was absolutely convinced that Joel was Mike (out of order during the comedy central days) and he hadn't gotten any sleep and was horribly depressed. It was pretty hilarious to hear a concerned "What happened to him??" until I had to explain it wasn't the same guy.

Groundfish
Jan 24, 2013
Space Mutiny
Mitchell
Final Sacrifice
Soultaker
This Island Earth

Like somebody else mentioned, my attachment to The Movie is largely sentimental. My friends and I probably watched it 15 times in 2000/2001 while introducing people to the show. To the point where we were driving people crazy trying to stifle laughs because we knew every line by heart. We also still say "Mitchell, pardon me, Mitchell" pretty regularly.

Jackapol
Sep 16, 2007
Huh huh buhhh.
Awww no love for Santo?

Yeah the movie only really gets going when he shows up, which takes way to long, but man the ring fight and that ending. :magical:

No order:
Samson vs. the Vampire Women
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
The Final Sacrifice
Mitchell
Horror of Party Beach (first ep I ever saw and of course sodiuuummm.)

I think Monster A-Go-Go is the worst they've done. Just an all around drab, dull, and pointless film that nothing can save. My god the ending to that made me seething. Liked Mike as the host way more, he just comes off less awkward in front of the camera than Joel and has the benefit of hitting the ground running.

I kinda wish Rifftrax would go back and do some the early season 1 and 2 stuff. Some of those movies are the classics of bad and really should get another pass now that they've got the whole riffing thing down pat.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Groundfish posted:

Like somebody else mentioned, my attachment to The Movie is largely sentimental.

I remember the movie being a bit of a disappointment at the time, but only because it was just a good episode of the TV show. So it was funny and all, it just felt like "How is the different from the regular show again?"

Again though, it was a funny episode and would have definitely been a good one, it's just.. that's exactly what it was.

ED: Yeah it'd been hard to do much else. What my friends and I were hoping for back when it came out was that they'd use ALL the extra money straight into buying the license for a big, semi-recent blockbuster to tear up; something the show could never afford to do. Well until years later in a way, with Rifftrax fitting that niche perfectly.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 17, 2014

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Space Mutiny
Pod People
Jack Frost
Time Chasers
Santa Claus

Honorable Mentions:
Hobgoblins
Devil Doll
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
and about 50 others.

Canned Panda fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

You could really just pick 5 random episodes and still be correct.

• Locked thread