Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I've released a new Disparition album. It's hard for me to put it into any exact genre really, it's a combination of a lot of things.

You can listen to the entire thing here.

If you like it you can purchase it here. Use the code "nmd" to get a 15% discount!

If you've heard Disparition in the past, this one is a change in direction, in that I wrote lyrics and worked with several vocalists who come from a range of different styles. There are also more acoustic instruments involved such as cello, violin, guitar, and improvised percussion. And what I think is a much more integrated and refined use of field recordings and music samples.

Recommended if you like: Coil's "Love's Secret Domain", Brian Eno's "Another Green World", Peter Gabriel's "Passion", This Mortal Coil, David Byrne, NIN, Dead Can Dance, Massive Attack, Tangerine Dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
I remember three of your albums. I like it more than the boring Keith Fullerton Whitman style ambient stuff you did a few years ago. I like it about as much as the first stuff you put out on the forums, in like, 2005 or so, but so much time has passed who knows. Anyway.

It's pretty good. Really like certain aspects of it, the old school synth-pad sounding drones that hum along as a backdrop, I like the naturalistic tribal vibe you're able to keep even with programmed percussion. Parts remind me of Tchkung!'s more mellow campfire points or Sphongle. The vocals though, well, I've never liked ethereal neo-pagan vocals for lack of better words. A lot of electronic musicians in their late 30's or 40's take a lot of influence from The Temple of Psychick Youth and the projects that webbed out from that scene, and I tend to dislike the ethereal vocals they add. The vocals on Analog I like. They're more direct. When the music changes into a rush of synth-wave out of nowhere was the highlight of the album for me. That song reminds me of this live show I stumbled into very drunk once upon a time, a guy singing and playing the violin over electronic beats, went by Nyquill and had one long braid stemming from the top of his head. There are too many rappers that go by that name now for me to ever find his stuff again.

Vocals can be a pain in the rear end to record and mix-down alongside electronic music. I understand that too well. On some tracks they sound too much like mis-matched karaoke. The girl on Song from the Other Side sounds like she gave a good performance, but I think something got lost in post production the way the beat sounds so distant and the synth stabs blare out over it all.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 29, 2014

• Locked thread