Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

And lo', the faithful's belief in Hunter X Hunter's return is rewarded with a new chapter. This will be followed by about a volume's worth of chapters, and then another hiatus for another two years. So it is written, so it will be done.

Hunter X Hunter is a manga series created by Yoshihiro Togashi(Yu Yu Hakusho)in 1998. It follows the adventures and battles of super powered individuals called Hunters, people who seek out things like very valuable and hard to find items, rare and mysterious animals, or even dangerous criminals. Hunters are, for the most part, a pretty amoral lot, including our main protagonist, and generally make for a much more interesting and nuanced group of super people than most shonen manga contain.

Speaking of our main protagonist, he is:

Gon Freecss

A young boy from Whale Island who is hunting his father, Ging, a famous Hunter. Gon has gone through a lot, from gaining his Hunter license, to fighting a group of super powered thieves, to playing in the most fantastic game ever created, to battling horrible insects with a taste for human flesh and the power to take it. Recently, Gon found his father, who told him about a new world full of incredible things to hunt and discover. It remains to be seen where Gon goes from here.

Other characters

Beyond

The son of the recently deceased Hunter Association Chairman. Beyond is a leader of a group that wishes to go on an expedition to the Dark Continent that contains things unlike anything in the known world. This is opposed by most of the influential countries in the world as past expeditions to the Dark Continent have led to disasters for the human world.

Beyond's Expedition Group

Not too much is known about them, other than they posses the determination, will, and courage to mount a journey to the Dark Continent. One of them looks like Popeye.

12 Zodiacs

A group of powerful hunters that used to have a close relationship with the former chairman. They have, except for two members, altered their appearance based on the zodiac they are associated with. In the wake of the chairman's death, they have become the ruling party of the Hunter Association. Recently, they have been gathered, sans two members, to receive an important message concerning Beyond and an expedition to the Dark Continent.

So join me for the next two months for spills, chills, and all sorts of exciting Hunter X Hunter action before it goes on hiatus again and we wait endlessly for something new to come out.

TNG fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Mangapanda's Chapter 341

The translation for both this and Mangastream's is a little unclear on The five calamities that were brought back, one of them apparently by Beyond. The chairman wants the Hunter Association to bring back something for once that isn't a horrible loving nightmare and is instead a benefit to humanity.

TNG fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 28, 2014

coathat
May 21, 2007

Just wait a week and read it in Jump legally.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hooray, finally a reason for me to read Shonen Jump stuffs again. Glad that HxH is finally back.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

coathat posted:

Just wait a week and read it in Jump legally.

I couldn't wait to read it, but I can't wait to be able to do this because holy poo poo was that a lot of words.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Everytime a new chapter comes up, I have to wonder if the author would be able to finish this arc or his decling health would suddenly end all this. :ohdear:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
He's not sick though most likely. He'll be around for about 10 or 30 chapters and then he'll disappear again, so January is probably when he'll decide to take another break, unless he actually does feel like sticking around this time, which is improbable.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Why is he so inconsistent? Writer's block?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Saki posted:

Mostly :effort: . Other valid reasons are being actually sick, having children, getting married but at this point we've most likely gone through the gamut of reasonable explanations for hiatuses.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Saki posted:

He's married to Sailor Moon's creator and likely will never have to worry about money, so laziness I guess.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
No one really knows for sure, though there are always people who swear up and down that the conjecture they heard somewhere is the absolute truth. However, someone posted a chart way back when of Togashi's entire release schedule, back through YYH. Even then he went on hiatus a lot, though obviously not for multiple years like he does now. Personally, I think that he is successful enough that he doesn't care to kill himself with the brutal pace of weekly manga. Hell, most weekly manga would be improved by moving to a bi-weekly or monthly format if only so that the mangakas could have a chance at a decent quality of life.

I just wish that Togashi wasn't so drat good when he is on the ball. After all, who cares if a less than stellar manga comes out slowly?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 28, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I think he's basically a weird, lazy genius, just like that Otters 11 guy in Bakuman.

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
I just reread the manga from the end of the chimera ant arc and i noticed that when they talk about Alluka they say he came from a different place.
Nanika might be one of the five calamities they brought back from the dark continent. With the "gas life forms ai" or the "human feeding beast papu" both being possible.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I wonder how far this arc is going to go into "Togashi read Toriko and thought it was cool".

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

GoldenPrice posted:

I just reread the manga from the end of the chimera ant arc and i noticed that when they talk about Alluka they say he came from a different place.
Nanika might be one of the five calamities they brought back from the dark continent. With the "gas life forms ai" or the "human feeding beast papu" both being possible.

Ai is most likely since Alluka in her Nanika form said "Ai" the same way those creatures did when it granted wishes.

Speaking of the Ants, do you think the Queen counts as a calamity? I don't remember if it was established Ants come from the DC or not.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I think it'd be cool if we could refrain from going all out with discussing the chapter until it actually comes out in SJ. Which is Mondays at 1pm EST

TNG posted:

Ai is most likely since Alluka in her Nanika form said "Ai" the same way those creatures did when it granted wishes.

Speaking of the Ants, do you think the Queen counts as a calamity? I don't remember if it was established Ants come from the DC or not.

I don't think we should have to spoiler stuff that came out like two years ago at this point. I'm almost positive they mentioned the ants came from the outside world at some point.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

No one really knows for sure, though there are always people who swear up and down that the conjecture they heard somewhere is the absolute truth. However, someone posted a chart way back when of Togashi's entire release schedule, back through YYH. Even then he went on hiatus a lot, though obviously not for multiple years like he does now. Personally, I think that he is successful enough that he doesn't care to kill himself with the brutal pace of weekly manga. Hell, most weekly manga would be improved by moving to a bi-weekly or monthly format if only so that the mangakas could have a chance at a decent quality of life.

I just wish that Togashi wasn't so drat good when he is on the ball. After all, who cares if a less than stellar manga comes out slowly?

I think he'd be better suited to a monthly magazine but then again Shonen Jump sales spike when he's back, and the volumes themselves are a really huge seller (Only really outsold by stuff like One Piece and Naruto), so hey if it's making a lot of money then don't fix it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He needs to suck it up and just get assistants to do most of his drawing if he wants to be lazy

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Jose posted:

He needs to suck it up and just get assistants to do most of his drawing if he wants to be lazy

Yeah maybe he can get someone else to write it for him too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Assistants do a huge amount of drawing for most manga anyway, he doesn't use them at all. I think the same is true of Berserk but I'm far more forgiving of that. I seriously doubt anyone would notice a difference except for more involved backgrounds if he purely directed the series and did no drawing at all

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I would love to read it as a novel as well and have someone else draw it.

Or just make concept skatches, I will take anything.

:negative:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Jose posted:

Stop being such a whiny bitch. Togashi doesn't owe you anything. He doesn't owe his fans who actually paid for his works anything, either. Mangaka who do weekly manga get little sleep and work such long hours that they rarely get to see their families. It is a horribly unpleasant way to live by all accounts. Togashi doesn't have to live that way. He has a great contract that lets him put out chapters whenever he pleases and financial security. As for the matter of assistants, did you ever consider that maybe he has had bad experiences with assistants that made him dislike using them? Working in close quarters with strangers over extended periods of time on a deadline is the perfect recipe for drama. Alternately, he just might prefer working alone.

Then again, no one knows what Togashi's deal is. He could actually be sick, or maybe he has a sick family member. He might be a misanthrope who gleefully spaces out chapter releases to the consternation of the scanlation community. It could be that Hiramaru is a perfect depiction of Togashi. Once again, no one knows.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Unless he's become a Bill Watterson-esque hermit I can't believe he would be able to hide a medical condition for this long.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Unless he's become a Bill Watterson-esque hermit I can't believe he would be able to hide a medical condition for this long.

Did you know that Tsugumi Ohba (writer of Deathnote) is actually a pen name and nobody knows who he really is? It's not that unbelievable.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DrSunshine posted:

I think he's basically a weird, lazy genius, just like that Otters 11 guy in Bakuman.

That's the guy from Gintama, though.

Also, excited as hell for this arc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He isn't a public figure. All of his work is done in his studio. He doesn't use assistants. Why would word of an illness get out unless he publicized it himself?

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I'm too terrified to read this.

It might be the last HxH set of chapters we ever get.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

He isn't a public figure. All of his work is done in his studio. He doesn't use assistants. Why would word of an illness get out unless he publicized it himself?

Fandom tends to allow this type of rumors to grow like crazy. poo poo, I think that's how the whole “Sugita and Nakamura are gay for each other” rumor started.

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007

Stop being such a whiny bitch. Togashi doesn't owe you anything. He doesn't owe his fans who actually paid for his works anything, either. Mangaka who do weekly manga get little sleep and work such long hours that they rarely get to see their families. It is a horribly unpleasant way to live by all accounts. Togashi doesn't have to live that way. He has a great contract that lets him put out chapters whenever he pleases and financial security. As for the matter of assistants, did you ever consider that maybe he has had bad experiences with assistants that made him dislike using them? Working in close quarters with strangers over extended periods of time on a deadline is the perfect recipe for drama. Alternately, he just might prefer working alone.

Then again, no one knows what Togashi's deal is. He could actually be sick, or maybe he has a sick family member. He might be a misanthrope who gleefully spaces out chapter releases to the consternation of the scanlation community. It could be that Hiramaru is a perfect depiction of Togashi. Once again, no one knows.

I sympathize with both sides. I can understand Togashi not wanting to live the weekly lifestyle, but I also understand the frustration of fans who are invested in the story and want to know more or how it ends.

Then I think about Eiichiro Oda who to my knowledge has never taken an extended break from One Piece which started in 1997. Unless things have changed, the last article I read about him made it seem like his life is miserable and he's been doing it for 17 years straight! I guess he must really love it though.

Edit: Just read how much he makes on royalties. He can stop whenever he wants, he just really, really loves it.

Kuso Meriken fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 28, 2014

KoB
May 1, 2009
Oda took a few months off at one point. This was after like 10 straight years though.

Wark Say posted:

Fandom tends to allow this type of rumors to grow like crazy. poo poo, I think that's how the whole "Sugita and Nakamura are gay for each other&" rumor started.

Everyone is gay for Sugita.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You don't need to rabidly defend the guy, who cares.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
That last page was a word salad

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Genocyber posted:

You don't need to rabidly defend the guy, who cares.

See, I don't personally know Togashi. He might be an rear end in a top hat for all I or anyone else here knows. However, the idea that he (or anyone) should put more chapters of a manga over pretty much any sort of real life concerns for the benefit of complete strangers offends me. Complete strangers who have never made him a dime, even. It just kind of meshed with my general disgust for how mangakas have to live, which makes me favorably inclined toward people who seem to be bucking the trend.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Ugh I really hate this zodiac storyline. All over the place.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I was super happy when I saw it pop up on Mangastream today. Hope we get decently into the crazy murder-world before he goes on hiatus again.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
poo poo, a HxH update? Is this real life?

Man, this chapter was a good one to come back from the hiatus.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Wow it doesn't look like poo poo either.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

ZeroCount posted:

Wow it doesn't look like poo poo either.

It's actually the HxH we all know love. Those were some unpleasant stuff

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

Assistants do a huge amount of drawing for most manga anyway, he doesn't use them at all. I think the same is true of Berserk but I'm far more forgiving of that. I seriously doubt anyone would notice a difference except for more involved backgrounds if he purely directed the series and did no drawing at all

Kentaro Miura (Berserk guy) has assistants, he's just extremely, well, anal about re-drawing every last blade of grass until it is exactly right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

trucutru posted:

Kentaro Miura (Berserk guy) has assistants, he's just extremely, well, anal about re-drawing every last blade of grass until it is exactly right.

Miura's biggest problem is that he has been moving the story along at a glacial place. Multiple two page spreads without dialogue or characters can only entertain for so long. HxH was at a perfectly acceptable place to end if he was tired of writing it but if he is going to keep it going he needs to actually work on it every now and then. He's wealthy enough to tell Shone Jump to gently caress off if he really wanted to.

That said I'm really excited to see how crazy the outside death world is.

• Locked thread