Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Furious Lobster posted:

Actually the only person who's not confirmed to be alive in Killua's family is Zeno's father since everyone else is still alive and kicking.

Yeah, but it's also been confirmed that Netero was at least old-ish when Maha (Killua's great-great grandfather, the bald frog-looking dude) was still young. Netero's old, is the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Furious Lobster posted:

Actually the only person who's not confirmed to be alive in Killua's family is Zeno's father since everyone else is still alive and kicking.

Gon's Enhancement, which is pretty much a given that his abilities will be boring.

Eh, Netero was Enhancement and Pattycake Buddha was hardly dull.

That said, I think changing Gon's to make it more flashy would be pretty cheap and a bad direction, story wise. A Nen users abilities are supposed to reflect the personality and be highly personal after all, and the development of their abilities has been a pretty big part of Killua's and Gon's character development.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

e X posted:

That said, I think changing Gon's to make it more flashy would be pretty cheap and a bad direction, story wise. A Nen users abilities are supposed to reflect the personality and be highly personal after all, and the development of their abilities has been a pretty big part of Killua's and Gon's character development.

Netero's also an exception because he's really loving old. Every other Enhancer is a variation on "how much harder can I punch things."

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, but it's also been confirmed that Netero was at least old-ish when Maha (Killua's great-great grandfather, the bald frog-looking dude) was still young. Netero's old, is the point.

Edit Nah, the point originally was that it's not hard to believe that Gon would have some sort of long-lived relative given how long Netero lived for. Everyone knows Netero is old as all hell.

Furious Lobster fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 19, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Netero didn't even have the advantage of crazy super drugs from the dark continent.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

Netero didn't even have the advantage of crazy super drugs from the dark continent.

Or did he?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Furious Lobster posted:

Netero's also an exception because he's really loving old. Every other Enhancer is a variation on "how much harder can I punch things."
Netero's power is pretty much an evolution of Gon's power.
He has a power up phase, only with praying instead of going Rock-Paper-...
He has a mid range transformation attack, where he transforms his aura into long arms that punch you in the face. Gon transforms his aura into a sword so he can cut you at mid range.
Then there is the same energy ball that Gon uses as an emission attack.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

tonberrytoby posted:

Netero's power is pretty much an evolution of Gon's power.
He has a power up phase, only with praying instead of going Rock-Paper-...
He has a mid range transformation attack, where he transforms his aura into long arms that punch you in the face. Gon transforms his aura into a sword so he can cut you at mid range.
Then there is the same energy ball that Gon uses as an emission attack.

Nope. He either conjures or emits a giant freaking Statute of Kannon and then uses Manipulation to hit things while enhancing the attack. Manipulation is the farthest possible type from Enhancement and this is generally a Bad Thing for Enhancers, i.e. Kastro and his early demise but Netero is an exception because he's really loving old and has a lot of training in each category as not have as large a penalty as one who is, relatively, just starting. Also Transmutation copies the properties of substances and does not generate or conjure them.

Gon just hits things really hard. They aren't alike at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Jajanken was really undeveloped, though. Rock was good, but paper and scissors were useless. If he had kept developing ideally both of those would have eventually reached rock's level. It is possible for enhancement types to get by with punching things really hard, but thanks to Biscuit Gon's goal was a more versatile ability. Of course, then he threw everything and everyone he had away for self-satisfaction.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Furious Lobster posted:

Nope. He either conjures or emits a giant freaking Statute of Kannon and then uses Manipulation to hit things while enhancing the attack. Manipulation is the farthest possible type from Enhancement and this is generally a Bad Thing for Enhancers, i.e. Kastro and his early demise but Netero is an exception because he's really loving old and has a lot of training in each category as not have as large a penalty as one who is, relatively, just starting. Also Transmutation copies the properties of substances and does not generate or conjure them.

Gon just hits things really hard. They aren't alike at all.

Please don't poo poo up another thread with this pedantic inanity.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Silynt posted:

Please don't poo poo up another thread with this pedantic inanity.

It's a discussion of the central magic system, please gently caress off if you can't handle it.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

e X posted:

Right and gon has gon through and is possibly still going through some serious development, I could see traumatic experiences reshaping someone's nen.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Elfgames posted:

Right and gon has gon through and is possibly still going through some serious development, I could see traumatic experiences reshaping someone's nen.

It's probably going to be more of a power up through once again mastering the basics, only this time more in line with Netero who mastered both the active and the contemplative aspects of nen at the same time on his mountain. The super healing probably resulted in his nen pores, or whatever they're called, being shut and locked so now he'll have to reopen them through both the "normal" way and the quick and dangerous way.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jajanken was really undeveloped, though. Rock was good, but paper and scissors were useless. If he had kept developing ideally both of those would have eventually reached rock's level. It is possible for enhancement types to get by with punching things really hard, but thanks to Biscuit Gon's goal was a more versatile ability. Of course, then he threw everything and everyone he had away for self-satisfaction.

Didn't he one-shot a chimera ant with scissors? I agree with you about paper being useless though.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RatHat posted:

Didn't he one-shot a chimera ant with scissors? I agree with you about paper being useless though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xehGfuID3Yk#t=341

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

Furious Lobster posted:

It's a discussion of the central magic system, please gently caress off if you can't handle it.

Go away

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

Those ants didn't have any knowledge of Nen combat so the one Gon slices wasn't blocking with aura and was essentially trying to block a sword with his bare flesh.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Please gently caress off.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Furious Lobster posted:

Please gently caress off.

What nen type do you have to be to make someone gently caress off?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Manipulation probably.

Or Enhancement / Emission if you want them to gently caress off in a more forceful manner.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Can we at least just poo poo up one thread with powerlevel arguments rather than both of them?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Manipulation probably.

Or Enhancement / Emission if you want them to gently caress off in a more forceful manner.

:golfclap:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Jamie Cussler from Preacher probably had a Manipulation-type Nen ability.

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Can we at least just poo poo up one thread with powerlevel arguments rather than both of them?

Um...Goku.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Vagithug posted:

Um...Goku.

Is somehow a worse father than Ging.

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

Scrree posted:

Well it would helped if he didn't die so dang much.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Scrree posted:

Nah Ging is worse. Ging was not even going to visit his dying son.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nah Ging is worse. Ging was not even going to visit his dying son.

The (un)holy trinity of bad parents: Gendo Ikari, Ragyo Kiryuin and Ging Freecs.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Goku never actively created things and places that were little more than traps for people to die in.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ging is an awful person, but he simply hasn't interacted enough with Gon to be in the ranking of worst anime parents. Gon is perfectly capable of ruining his own life without anyone's help, the wretched little bastard.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ging is an awful person, but he simply hasn't interacted enough with Gon to be in the ranking of worst anime parents. Gon is perfectly capable of ruining his own life without anyone's help, the wretched little bastard.

He abandoned his son and his only message to his son was I don't want to meet you. When he learned his son was in critical condition which many experts and doctors saying they have never seen someone in a worse state that was still alive his response was pretty much "so what". Also apparently all the other hunters dislike him enough that a guy punching him in the face was enough to be voted into 3rd place for chairman.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

He abandoned his son and his only message to his son was I don't want to meet you. When he learned his son was in critical condition which many experts and doctors saying they have never seen someone in a worse state that was still alive his response was pretty much "so what". Also apparently all the other hunters dislike him enough that a guy punching him in the face was enough to be voted into 3rd place for chairman.

He didn't react well to Gon's crisis, but he did not cause that crisis. Ging is terrified of dealing with Gon- he doesn't deliberately interfere with Gon's life, but he did provide methods for Gon to find him (even though he didn't particularly want him to succeed). If Ging truly did not want to be found, I rather doubt that Gon could do so. That doesn't compare to the apathy and/or outright malice that are so common among anime parents. As for why everyone hates Ging, that's probably just because he goes wherever and does whatever he wants, whenever he wants. Plus, he is a rude scruffy hobo.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

As for why everyone hates Ging, that's probably just because he goes wherever and does whatever he wants, whenever he wants. Plus, he is a rude scruffy hobo.

The source of this behavior is probably that the guy is basically competently out of touch with everybody who isn't a high level nen user. He play with people's lives, because to him, there is no real danger in anything. Kind of a not self aware Ryodan.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

e X posted:

The source of this behavior is probably that the guy is basically competently out of touch with everybody who isn't a high level nen user. He play with people's lives, because to him, there is no real danger in anything. Kind of a not self aware Ryodan.

I'm not sure how that squares with him walking into a room filled with high level nen users and then alienating all but one of them. The people that hate him in the hunter's association? They are also all high level nen users. No one else seems to know he exists, as he isn't particularly famous. Netero was the only person who liked Ging, but then Netero seemed to like everyone including the chimera ant king and Pariston so he probably isn't the best character reference. Then there is the part about how there is no danger to him. Every mention of the dark continent has emphasized that it is dangerous to everyone including hunters!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

He didn't react well to Gon's crisis, but he did not cause that crisis. Ging is terrified of dealing with Gon- he doesn't deliberately interfere with Gon's life, but he did provide methods for Gon to find him (even though he didn't particularly want him to succeed). If Ging truly did not want to be found, I rather doubt that Gon could do so. That doesn't compare to the apathy and/or outright malice that are so common among anime parents. As for why everyone hates Ging, that's probably just because he goes wherever and does whatever he wants, whenever he wants. Plus, he is a rude scruffy hobo.

Is there anything that suggests Ging is afraid to meet Gon? From what I've seen he doesn't want to meet Gon (and gave him to his sister) simply because it wouldn't be fun for him, and he doesn't do things unless he wants to.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Is there anything that suggests Ging is afraid to meet Gon? From what I've seen he doesn't want to meet Gon (and gave him to his sister) simply because it wouldn't be fun for him, and he doesn't do things unless he wants to.

He said he was afraid in the flashback during Greed Island IIRC. Where he said to the desk lady to not send Gon to him if he has more than 1 person with him.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also apparently all the other hunters dislike him enough that a guy punching him in the face was enough to be voted into 3rd place for chairman.

Wherever I wonder how HxH gets away with all the poo poo it pulls on the production side of things, I remember that Leorio became one of the most powerful men on the planet by dint of hitting Gon's father in the face really, really hard. Story is still interesting and fun, which excuses all sins.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Genocyber posted:

Mito is actually Gon's first cousin once removed and Ging's cousin but I agree with you that it's probably too much to call Ging being afraid and he's just selfish. Looking back at the family tree, it's not likely that Don can be Ging's Father given that Gon grew up with his Great-Grandmother but since it's a 300 year time period, he's just one of those crazy Freecs distantly related :v:.

Edit: Still hosed up the family relationship.

Furious Lobster fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 21, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kild posted:

He said he was afraid in the flashback during Greed Island IIRC. Where he said to the desk lady to not send Gon to him if he has more than 1 person with him.

He never directly states a reason but the woman wonders if it's because he's shy in front of a group and that he gets embarrassed for the weirdest reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
He all but said in his message to gon that he has no loving clue how to be a father and is basically terrified of it.

• Locked thread