Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Elfgames posted:

He all but said in his message to gon that he has no loving clue how to be a father and is basically terrified of it.

I disagree. I could see how one might think that Ging has no idea of how to be a parent but more to the point, he states that he threw away even the idea of being a parent all for his own sake. When he tells Gon that there's no good way for them to meet, I believe its because Ging knows what he did was just downright wrong but he's gotta do what he's gotta do. Basically, Ging never wanted to be a parent because he has his own agenda and Gon would get in the way of that; I don't see someone afraid of acting as a father but rather, someone not giving a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I like to imagine that the message about Gon's mother was that she had a horrible genetic disease and Gon should probably get himself checked out.

Ging admits that he is a bad person for leaving Gon but that being selfish, above all else, is what being a Hunter is about.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Yeah, basically Ging is the definition of a polarizing character inverse- people either love or hate him.

So you get Pariston/Netero/Raizro/Kite/Examiner who love him, but you get an awful lot of people who hate him too (It's also how people described Ging- you either hate or love him).

He basically doesn't want to 'lose time' rearing Gon, but he also built G.I just as a training ground/birthday present for him, etc.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
New Chapter! It looks like Gon might not show up at all during the next arc, which would be surprising. The prince is supposed to look terrifying and everything but after all the violence of the series, it just makes him look petty by comparison. Lastly, Togashi's taking a break already :argh: - we're going to be hosed in just a little beyond 8 weeks.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Really loving the Pariston/Ging dynamic and hope it stays as one of the main focuses on this arc. :allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Furious Lobster posted:

New Chapter! It looks like Gon might not show up at all during the next arc, which would be surprising. The prince is supposed to look terrifying and everything but after all the violence of the series, it just makes him look petty by comparison. Lastly, Togashi's taking a break already :argh: - we're going to be hosed in just a little beyond 8 weeks.

Well it says "along with a special project" so I'm going to pretend that means something that actually needs an extra weeks' time to work on.

Also I'm loving that Pariston is having confusing new feelings about Ging :allears:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Furious Lobster posted:

That might be the point. After all, pretty much all the sadists (as in, people who explicitly enjoy inflicting suffering and such, since we've got a lot of people who enjoy killing for various reasons (Feitan doesn't seem to extract pleasure from it despite being really, really good at torture, and expresses sympathy for his victims, before anyone mentions him)) and those into things along the lines of flesh-collecting were degenerates rather than actual threats, with Neon being an exception as she was a weird, sheltered kid. He's a guy who collects body parts and who has women brought to him so he can kill them at his leisure. He's almost banal compared to the Troupe and the Ants. I wouldn't be surprised if he had no special abilities at all and was just a regular, monstrous human, and him being a physical threat isn't what makes dealing with him difficult for Kurapika and co.

Also, yeah, it's looking increasingly likely that neither Gon nor Killua will be in this arc, which I am fine with; much as I like them, an arc without them (Gon in particular) will be interesting, especially since it's looking like the protagonists for it will be Kurapika, Leorio, Ging, and maybe Cheadle. That's an interesting group right there, even without getting into the supporting cast (Pariston and Beyond and such).

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 26, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Roland Jones posted:

That might be the point. After all, pretty much all the sadists (as in, people who explicitly enjoy inflicting suffering and such, since we've got a lot of people who enjoy killing for various reasons (Feitan doesn't seem to extract pleasure from it despite being really, really good at torture, and expresses sympathy for his victims, before anyone mentions him)) and those into things along the lines of flesh-collecting were degenerates rather than actual threats, with Neon being an exception as she was a weird, sheltered kid. He's a guy who collects body parts and who has women brought to him so he can kill them at his leisure. He's almost banal compared to the Troupe and the Ants. I wouldn't be surprised if he had no special abilities at all and was just a regular, monstrous human, and him being a physical threat isn't what makes dealing with him difficult for Kurapika and co.

Also, yeah, it's looking increasingly likely that neither Gon nor Killua will be in this arc, which I am fine with; much as I like them, an arc without them (Gon in particular) will be interesting, especially since it's looking like the protagonists for it will be Kurapika, Leorio, Ging, and maybe Cheadle. That's an interesting group right there, even without getting into the supporting cast (Pariston and Beyond and such).

Good points all around; I guess that since I've been so starved of new chapters from this series, when ever I see Togashi spending valuable pages on some random dude who likes to get his American Psycho on and will most likely be peremptorily squashed, I become vaguely irritated. Unless Jairo shows up presently, I'm going to condemn this guy in the same vein because the Ging/Pariston dynamic is fantastic and I want to see more. Pariston is obviously :sparkles: but what is Ging?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just make it so that story is focused on Ging&Pariston.

Gon&Killua? who the hell are those?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Gon needs to spend some time growing up to be less of an rear end in a top hat, which he probably wouldn't do while on a great big adventure. So bring on a Leorio and Kurapika arc.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Serious Frolicking posted:

Gon needs to spend some time growing up to be less of an rear end in a top hat, which he probably wouldn't do while on a great big adventure. So bring on a Leorio and Kurapika arc.

Looking forward to Mito making him do chores for a year for attempted murder of an innocent girl.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Traveller posted:

Looking forward to Mito making him do chores for a year for attempted murder of an innocent girl.

Well he can be technically blamed for said girls death because if Pitou had survived she could have saved the King and Komugi from the poison.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well he can be technically blamed for said girls death because if Pitou had survived she could have saved the King and Komugi from the poison.

I think they might be referring to how he threatened to kill Komugi, more than once, really. That was kind of a dick move, Gon.

Furious Lobster posted:

Good points all around; I guess that since I've been so starved of new chapters from this series, when ever I see Togashi spending valuable pages on some random dude who likes to get his American Psycho on and will most likely be peremptorily squashed, I become vaguely irritated. Unless Jairo shows up presently, I'm going to condemn this guy in the same vein because the Ging/Pariston dynamic is fantastic and I want to see more. Pariston is obviously :sparkles: but what is Ging?

I can understand that, though for me getting updates at all (especially ones with Kurapika and Leorio again) makes up for it. Also at least this guy is going to be directly relevant to what's happening, while Gyro only really mattered for setting details about NGL and for Ikalgo and Welfin's conversation.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 26, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Nen isn't the only kind of power, you know. The zodiacs and Beyond still have to deal with the various political leaders. Heck, we got a pretty good demonstration when they used a poison wmd on the king.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I always thought the bomb was a nuclear weapon, with the poison being, you know, radiation poisoning. Was I wrong?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

MonsieurChoc posted:

I always thought the bomb was a nuclear weapon, with the poison being, you know, radiation poisoning. Was I wrong?

It was definitely a nuke, and everyone who got poisoned was definitely dead

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It wasn't a nuke, because the poison was actually infectious and it didn't contaminate the area.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Idk if you can provide definitive proof it wasn't supposed to be a different example of a nuke and they got severe radiation poisoning I'll accept it but I always took it as Togashi showing the world had powers stronger than even the strongest Nen user

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was basically a fantasy nuke. There was even mention of how production of new ones was banned in an international treaty but all nations with ones already made refused to disarm. They just have a rose-shaped cloud instead of a mushroom one and super-lethal infectious "poison" instead of eventually-lethal radiation.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah it was pretty clearly multiple nuclear weapons, he survived but they still got him with radiation poisoning which the ants had no concept of and thus no defense against.

It did contaminate the area, king and the two guards got irradiated and died, komungi was exposed to the king for a significant period of time and died with him, others with more limited exposure lived, Radiation is contaminative(ie infectious: tools used to handle radioactive materials themselves become irradiated)

KoB
May 1, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

This part was running during the big radiation scare in Japan, so they didnt call it radiation.

But yeah its basically a nuke.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Jose posted:

Idk if you can provide definitive proof it wasn't supposed to be a different example of a nuke and they got severe radiation poisoning I'll accept it but I always took it as Togashi showing the world had powers stronger than even the strongest Nen user

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Hunter-x-Hunter/311?id=97517

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Sounds like a pretty clear cut case of radiation poisoning, thanks for proving yourself wrong.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

KoB posted:

This part was running during the big radiation scare in Japan, so they didnt call it radiation.

But yeah its basically a nuke.

The Fukushima accident happend a year later during a hiatus. That the bomb was poisonous as well was mentioned in the first chapter after the accident, ironically numbered 311.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Furious Lobster posted:

Sounds like a pretty clear cut case of radiation poisoning, thanks for proving yourself wrong.

People with radiation poisoning are toxic, but they don't emit lethal doses of radiation, nor do the people exposed to them start emitting lethal doses of radiation, with such an effect propagating endlessly. That ignorant poo poo is why people widely treated atomic bomb survivors as infectious.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
It was a nuke. It's radiation. It's a euphemism.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Shukaro posted:

It was a nuke. It's radiation. It's a euphemism.

It was explicitly not a nuke, though. It was a fantasy chemical weapon. The actual bomb part was just a delivery method.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It literally shows pictures of chemical molecules when calling what comes out of the bomb poison. As someone already said it is a fantasy biological weapon that just so happens to function similar to a nuke.

In new chapter news I like how after all the work it was to find him Gon is just calling Ging up to chat now.

Anime is great!
Sep 14, 2007

It's hilarious to me how the anime is about to catch up to the manga. Since the manga is now being written again (hah!), I wonder if the anime crew will come up with some sweet, sweet filler.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Maybe Togashi is just going to set the groundwork for the Dark Continent and then go on his hiatus, with his special project being a general outline of the plot for the anime.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah theres like 8 episodes until it catches up with the Manga.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

People with radiation poisoning are toxic, but they don't emit lethal doses of radiation, nor do the people exposed to them start emitting lethal doses of radiation, with such an effect propagating endlessly. That ignorant poo poo is why people widely treated atomic bomb survivors as infectious.

It didn't propogate endlessly, Meryem, Pouf, Huge guy, and komagi were the ones killed, they were the ones most exposed to it with komagi being in close proximity to the king who was the most dosed and the other two walking into the blast zone to save the king and sitting in there to heal him

Anime is great!
Sep 14, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Maybe Togashi is just going to set the groundwork for the Dark Continent and then go on his hiatus, with his special project being a general outline of the plot for the anime.

well that would be pretty awesome

edit: I love the show! The gonslplosion was done very well, and I love the narrator and wish he was in every episode.

Anime is great! fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 27, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Whether it behaves exactly like real nuclear weapons and radiation or not, I don't think anyone can object that it is meant to be a reference to them.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsieurChoc posted:

Whether it behaves exactly like real nuclear weapons and radiation or not, I don't think anyone can object that it is meant to be a reference to them.

That is the point most people were making, really. The counter-argument was "it's not exactly like a nuke and therefore it can't be a nuke stand-in".

And yeah, the anime is great. A few things here and there bugged me a bit or seemed like missed opportunities, but it definitely does justice to all the big moments and is far more faithful to the manga than the old anime.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

:allears: I am rereading and killuas dad is just :sparkles: SO DAVID BOWIE :sparkles: His presence alone makes the manga worthwhile.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

That is the point most people were making, really. The counter-argument was "it's not exactly like a nuke and therefore it can't be a nuke stand-in".

And yeah, the anime is great. A few things here and there bugged me a bit or seemed like missed opportunities, but it definitely does justice to all the big moments and is far more faithful to the manga than the old anime.

I didn't notice anyone denying that it's obviously a nuke stand-in. The issue is whether it's literally a nuclear weapon, which is more of a power level debate issue than a thematic one. I lean towards it not actually being nuclear because of the pictures of the molecules, although I think Togashi intended it to be nuclear before the hiatus.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
That nuke-like weapon, that countries use in a nuclear deterrent-like fashion, with the mushroom-like cloud, that has a radioactive-like poison effect on people is not 100.000% for sure a nuclear weapon. Although it did manage to kill the ant king (who is obviously not an ant, and also not a king, as per the actual definition). For once, the pictures of the molecules clearly do *not* model a proper fission reaction and ...

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I didn't notice anyone denying that it's obviously a nuke stand-in. The issue is whether it's literally a nuclear weapon, which is more of a power level debate issue than a thematic one. I lean towards it not actually being nuclear because of the pictures of the molecules, although I think Togashi intended it to be nuclear before the hiatus.

He may have originally written it as a nuke and at some point during writing, either he or an editor changed it given the slight taboo over nuclear weapons. Particularly when used by a protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

He may have originally written it as a nuke and at some point during writing, either he or an editor changed it given the slight taboo over nuclear weapons. Particularly when used by a protagonist.

That's what I meant about the hiatus; the Fukushima disaster happened in between the Rose going off and the explanation of the poison.

• Locked thread